Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: RSIII problems and bugs

Default Re: RSIII problems and bugs

this is probably intentional, as you can do the same in the Greek city states
    Perhaps they recruited them as mercenaries? We need an historian there

There are other units which in my opinion should not belong there. For example, Paiones Hippeis, Scythohellenic archers. Also Athenians can recruit Syracusian Hipparchoi from third level barracks, after that they lose ability to recruit them. Today I will start full playthrough as Athens and report if I find more weird things.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by LoGaL View Post
    this is probably intentional, as you can do the same in the Greek city states
    Perhaps they recruited them as mercenaries? We need an historian there
    The composition of the Hellenistic armies was indeed quite versatile, though many poleis, and especially those from the Mainland Greece, would for the most part rely on their native troops.

Scythian Archers should stay in the roster of Athens, because there was a steady corps of Scythian mercenaries in Athens that were used for military campaigns and as militia police for the higher society. There are several ressources that mention these.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I know the pathfinding in the hillfort city model is 'bizarre' to say the least. Believe it or not, it's better than it was since I worked on it. But, it just is what it is....I'm not a modeller so I can't really rework it, and actually had a fellow on this forum work some on it....but it's meant to be hard as it would've historically been hard to get around in. The fact that the AI has issues with it.....yeah, the AI is just dumb.
    Thanks for the answer! I understand there are certain limitations on this game that are hard to overcome.

I've just laid a siege to the Roman city of Emporiae and it's a totally different story to those Celtic hillforts. The movement of my troops was swift and precise, and the city itself, WOW, simply stunning!

The models of the roman buildings are wonderful and the city as a whole looks really impressive. And on top of that, really great performance!

Just wondering, in terms of historical accuracy, how rigorous were you trying to be in your design of those buildings?

Also, I noticed that the western passage through the Pyrenees between the province of Cantabria and Aquitaine is closed. Is that on purpose or is that a bug?
    Last edited by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~; April 28, 2016 at 09:47 AM.

Athenian generals have Bosporian trait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

neep's Avatar Tiro

Central Square Gate Blobbing

Rome : Arretium (for example) has a central fortified town square with 3 entrance gates.
    Most of the Roman towns have this at the start.

I noticed that troops approaching those gates tend to align their central axis to the gate's right hand post. So half the men end up walking into the wall and then pathfinding round to get into the gate.
    It's not so noticeable when they quickly go through the gates.
    But if there is fighting happening that slows everything down - then it becomes clear that the troops are blobbing up on the right hand side of the gate going in.

Troops going through the external wooden walls/gates don't have this issue, it's just the stone wall gates that seem to have this effect.

I don't think it affects the results but it's a little jarring to see half the gate entrance being empty while the other half is full of troops fighting.

Wall Towers Too Short ?

I noticed this in the above example and also for Rome.
    Wall towers close to the Pantheon, and also close to the Insulae that are outside the city wall, seem to be about 1 meter too low.
    The doorway on the ground seems too short and looks square rather than, well.. door shaped.
    When troop are entering or exiting they seem to sink knee deep into the ground when they go through the door.

I'm guessing this is just an artifact of how the towers get placed along with all the other surrounding objects.
    This doesn't seem to affect any results, it's just a minor visual effect.

Pathfinding Behind the Macellum

Rome : Arretium (for example) has a central fortified town square with 3 entrance gates.
    Close to the fortification is a Macellum building
    Most of the Roman towns have this at the start.

I was playing around with the pathfinding and sent a unit of cavalry to a location between the central fortification walls and the Macellum.
    They went in and most came back out, but about 20% of the unit got stuck at the back of the building and could never get themselves back out again.
    Looking closer I also noticed what looks like a wooden crate (similar to what is placed at the front of the building) embedded into the ground with only a small portion being visible.
    Not sure if this related to the unit getting stuck.

Again, this is not something I would typically do so it's not a real issue, just something I noticed when playing around.

These are minor issues that don't affect gameplay and I wouldn't consider as major issues

Too Many Greats

Rome looks great - love the new city styles and the external insulae and the temples on the surrounding hills look great.
    (Am I allowed to make positive comments here )
    Great looking upgrade and the cities look much better - they look more built up with buildings tightly clustered, but panning around seems faster.
    Great job on the improvements.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Neep, for some reason this site won't let me post my response to you...so I'll think on it and try and figure out what I said that was wrong.
    Last edited by dvk901; April 28, 2016 at 03:29 PM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Thanks for the answer! I understand there are certain limitations on this game that are hard to overcome.

I've just laid a siege to the Roman city of Emporiae and it's a totally different story to those Celtic hillforts. The movement of my troops was swift and precise, and the city itself, WOW, simply stunning!

The models of the roman buildings are wonderful and the city as a whole looks really impressive. And on top of that, really great performance!

Just wondering, in terms of historical accuracy, how rigorous were you trying to be in your design of those buildings?

Also, I noticed that the western passage through the Pyrenees between the province of Cantabria and Aquitaine is closed. Is that on purpose or is that a bug?
    That pass is closed because the Gallaeci seemed to have an inbred bad addiction to going north into Gaul instead south or east. Nothing we tried could stop them except making it impossible.
    As for the historical aspect of buildings, I downloaded literally thousands of pictures of reconstructed buildings and surviving ruins of Roman and Greek buildings with a mind to see if I could somehow 'reconstruct' them using existing things in RTW. Quite a few buildings are reconstructions like that, using parts and pieces of other RTW buildings. Other buildings were buildings that were in RTW's database, but not used by CA in the game because they were broken, unsuitable for a city, or only used as an 'ambient building' you'd seldom see on the battlemap. Some of these I 'redeemed', fixed\re-textured, half buried, or in some way altered so that I could use them in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Athenian generals have Bosporian trait.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Will fix...

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Tiro

Are there any garrison scripts by default?

Neither in 1turn Parthia campaign, nor in roman 1turn campaign I have seen any emergency garisson. My garissson script in RS preferences is set to Default. With Parthia I have reached Babylon and with Romans had laid siege only to 1 rebel settlement.

„There can be greater mods than Roma Surrectum 2, but simply there are none!“, Zydrius

Tiro

That pass is closed because the Gallaeci seemed to have an inbred bad addiction to going north into Gaul instead south or east. Nothing we tried could stop them except making it impossible.
    Speaking of which Macedon invades Dacia more often than not, and I have never seen them try to reclaim Hellas or go into Asia Minor. (But I have seen Pergamon invade Macedon funnily) Closing the balkan mountains might make them put more pressure on historial enemies.

Also the image for the 'Rome one turn' night battle doesnt have the same scale as the day battle, its not a problem but kinda jarring.
    Looking for more, but great so far

Edit: Is it WAD that in the 'building browser' you cant see buildings for huge cities?
    Edit 2: The starting 'rome one turn' generals are mostly 52 or 31 year olds, WAD?
    Last edited by jrhindo; April 28, 2016 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zydrius View Post
    Are there any garrison scripts by default?

Neither in 1turn Parthia campaign, nor in roman 1turn campaign I have seen any emergency garisson. My garissson script in RS preferences is set to Default. With Parthia I have reached Babylon and with Romans had laid siege only to 1 rebel settlement.
    As far as I know there are none. If you want to play it hard and have an additional garrison in every city you lay a siege to, then you need to switch to Five Good Emperors in your preferences file.

There is garrison script by default. One turn after siege garrisons appear.

I had CTD when tried to defend newly captured Pella. Macedonians tried to recapture it and when the battle was loading I got CTD. The strange thing is that 2 turns before I was able to capture the city without any problem. Here is the screenshot that describes the error.

Looks like I will have to play without defensive siege battles. I will have to attack besieging armies with reinforcements in this campaign until the issue is fixed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Ostrogoth; April 29, 2016 at 10:03 AM.

Patrician

Got it. Have fixed it in patch.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post
    Ok now, I can run the game and it's beautiful!
    Could you please tell why I can't save game, option is greyed out all the time.
    If you fail to start the script after you've exited a game, you will not be able to save. Go back to a save previous to that, and make sure you always start the script.

I can recruit Scythian archers, medium horse arches and Kappadokian infantry from Athens when I play as Athens...
    There are other units which in my opinion should not belong there. For example, Paiones Hippeis, Scythohellenic archers. Also Athenians can recruit Syracusian Hipparchoi from third level barracks, after that they lose ability to recruit them. Today I will start full playthrough as Athens and report if I find more weird things.
    I'll check the Syracusian Hipparchoi....may be a mistake in the AOR setting most likely. As for the rest, we had two historians...a Macedonian and Greek professor...who advised our team as to which units all of our Greek factions should have available and where at this time in Roman history. Scythian units were prevalent throughout Asia Minor, parts of Greece and Dacia, and over into Armenia and Parthian territories, and as far south as Palestine. Edit: Syracusian unti fixed.

I'd hardly call it a bug but there is map of Syracuse in Massilian campaign menu.
    I just checked the Massalian folder and I see nothing but the Massalian map?

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I'll check the Syracusian Hipparchoi....may be a mistake in the AOR setting most likely. As for the rest, we had two historians...a Macedonian and Greek professor...who advised our team as to which units all of our Greek factions should have available and where at this time in Roman history. Scythian units were prevalent throughout Asia Minor, parts of Greece and Dacia, and over into Armenia and Parthian territories, and as far south as Palestine. Edit: Syracusian unti fixed.
    Thanks for explaining.

I just checked the Massalian folder and I see nothing but the Massalian map?
    Here is the screenshot from Massilian main menu. The map is wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RomeTW-ALX_2016-04-29_19-35-03-38.jpg  

Tiro

CTD after winning defensive battle in Empuria (rome territory in spain at start). The city battle map model changed since 2.6, it was a barbarian hillfort, dunno if related.

Patrician

@Ostrogoth: Ah! I see. Sorry. I was looking in the wrong place. Got it now. Thanks.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

hi
    can you add more scorpions and balistas to the units , and make it more powerful becouse the to destroy the gate was a long time , and can you change back the roman and the other forts buildings back to the real camps ,becouse it is not so effective and beautiful with the stone buildings

Civis

Hello, can i instal 2.5 version without 2.0 and 2.1? i mean instal Rome Total War to v1.5+1.6+alex+RS2.5+RSIII ? or need and RS2.0+2.1? tnx!