Thread: 2 txt file questions!!!

Black Francis's Avatar -IN-NOMINE-XPI-VINCAS-

Default 2 txt file questions!!!

Ok,

1) I have edited the names of some of the starting characters indesc_strat.txt but their names appear black in game. What am I missing here?

2) I've spent all afternoon putting together a new name pool for a faction. Where should I put the new desc_names.txt?

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: 2 txt file questions!!!

1) I have edited the names of some of the starting characters indesc_strat.txt but their names appear black in game. What am I missing here?
    If the names aren't in descr_names.txt they wont show up.

2) I've spent all afternoon putting together a new name pool for a faction. Where should I put the new desc_names.txt?
    You need to use the mod switch to use a modified version of that file.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

I've created a mod switch and copied over my World folder and Sound folder.

I put the descr_names.txt into the mymod/data folder and it did not work. If I an just get this damn file to work Ill be fine....
    Last edited by Black Francis; December 10, 2006 at 03:43 PM.

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Just realised that the descr_names_lookup.txt file was not in the released files, so you cannot edit names yet, as that file, descr_names.txt and text\names.txt need to be edited when you change the names.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Right,
    thanks, I was damn sure I had done everything properly... damn descr-names.txt file... well maybe tomorrow.. or sometime next week I can have properly named Sicilians....

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Just realised that the descr_names_lookup.txt file was not in the released files, so you cannot edit names yet, as that file, descr_names.txt and text\names.txt need to be edited when you change the names.
    I added new names without having the descr_names_lookup.txt file. I have no idea if the names would ever appear on their own in-game, but I as able to use them for the starting characters in descr_strat
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Yeah i had same problem, you can now add names to certain factions that are already in the names.txt file that we cannot access. So say the name philip is only available to the french, you can make it available to spain if it wasn't already, but if you try adding a name that isnt in the names.txt file yet, you will not be able to add names you want. Sorry if thats confusing.

So if I gave the Sicilians French names, by cutting out the Sicilian names in desc_names.txt and simply duplicating the French.. they would spawn with French names?

OR

Do you mean that you could give the name Philip to a character that is in the desc_strat.txt at the start of the campaign?
    Last edited by Black Francis; December 11, 2006 at 02:28 PM.

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

As long as the name is in descr_names_lookup.txt, you can add it to descr_names.txt under the faction you want, that's all we can do as of now, once we have access to the names.txt, you can add names that the descr_names_lookup.txt currently doesn't have. Example, the name Asdf isnt in any of the files, including names.txt, you could add it to descr_names_lookup.txt and descr_names.txt, and then change a name in descr_strat.txt to asdf, but it wouldn't show because we are unable to modify the names.txt file. Once we have access to the names.txt file you could add Asdf to that too, then the name would show up in game.

I'm currently copy and pasting a names.txt file together, all it consists of, if its anything like rome, would be all the names currently in game, with {} around the name to the right. Does anyone know where in the mymod folder it would go since it's part of the text folder, i cant find a text folder in any of the folders.
    Last edited by Copin920; December 11, 2006 at 02:52 PM.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Wrong section, moved to Text Editing and Scripting.