Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [M2TW AAR] Prince Stanislaus of Poland - Middle Game AAR

Default [M2TW AAR] Prince Stanislaus of Poland - Middle Game AAR

Stanislaus Niemoj of Poland

This is a VH/VH vanilla game. I decided to write this AAR not about the rise of a nation, but about the life of the fourth king of Poland and how he sees everything that happens with his kingdom. This will include many screenshots. I will start with turn "1", not the actual turn number. Since the time scale is messed up, I won't mention years other than the "starting" date. Enjoy!

Introduction

Poland is the greatest Christian nation of Europe. Thanks to the conquests of Boleslaw Herman and Zbgniew Herman, sons of Wladyslaw, Krakow rules over many cities and castles of the world, taken from Germans, Danish, Hungarians and Russians.

Poland AD 1250

The Past

• King Wladyslaw Herman

Breslau, Thorn, Iasi, Prague, Magdeburg, Kiev and Hamburg were taken under his reign.
    Stayed in Krakow during all his reign.

• King Zbgniew Herman, son of Wladyslav Herman

Arhus, Budapest, Vienna, Bran, Vilnius, Novgorod and Riga were taken under his reign.
    Married to a Hungarian princess.
    Lost Arhus.

Chronicles of Stanislaus Niemoj, son of Agata Herman and Jan Niemoj

1. The greatest commander of Poland has died, AD 1250. Boleslaw Herman, only an year after his older brother, Zbgniew, King of Poland.
    My father, Jan, ascends to the throne, and I march south to command the army of Boleslaw.

Kiev has just been taken by the Muscovy, in the same month that we reached a ceasefire with Denmark. It is the first time in many years that Poland loses a battle.
    They say that a great horde of eastern warriors, calling themselves "Golden Horde", arrived in Georgia not long ago, but we have yet to see these men.

2. Wladyslaw of Gdansk has defeated the army of Moscow near Kiev. He keeps the city under siege. I go south, from Krakow to Vienna. Novgorod and Riga will likely ask for help from the Grand Duke as well, our presence there is not wanted by the local rulers. My father hass arranged a marriage between me and an English princess, Kyrstyan.

Battle for Kiev

3. Wladyslaw has retaken Kiev, and my father finally got the Rus to accept a ceasefire. Our northern armies are weak and don’t have a strong figure to command them, unlike the western armies, commanded by Marcin Herman.

4. I take control of the southern army of Silesia, which Boleslaw commanded in many battles. The men are very experienced and strong. We march south towards the Hungarian border. The first bombarding artillery of the nation, built in Budapest, will join the army next year.
    The Pope has called a crusade against the Hungarians, in Zagreb, where their Prince is. The Hungarian King was excommunated for attacking fellow christians, such as Venice, and for allying the Byzantines against the Holy Church. My army marches towards the infidel city.

Army of Stanislaus

5. Many nations of Europe have joined the crusade against the heathens. England, the Holy Roman Empire, Spain, Venice, Denmark... but we are the ones to reach the city first. The bombards of Budapest will likely render the city walls useless.

6. We assault Zagreb a few months after our arrival. It was a bloody battle and one third of the army was killed. The bombards were very useful, rendering the Hungarian towers useless.

Siege of Zagreb

The city was occupied by the crusading forces, and a ceasefire was arranged with the enemy. The men are occupied drinking and celebrating, but I’m more worried about a possible revolt against our occupation.
    My son was born this year, Barnim Niemoj!

Occupation of Zagreb

7. A venetian army is marching around our lands, from Zagreb to Vienna. The city of Venice has been our ally for a long time, but we fear they want to attack us. The army is weak after the crusade and possibly not good enough to face a new enemy so soon.

8. The Venetians have declared war, attacking a small force near Vienna. I should meet with Bernardo di Caprio outside Zagreb and hopefully force them out of our territory. Another Venetian army will be engaged by Marcin Herman, who comes from Hamburg to aid against Venice.

Zbgniew, Jan, Stanislaus and Barnim. Stanislaus' brother is in Novgorod as a governor.

9. As I write the army moves to engage Bernardo. His forces outnumber us, and he has many archers and crossbowmen to counter my light missile cavalry.

The numbers do not favour us

We have defeated the Venetian army, but I lost one fifth of my men. They had a very good position, and my flanking cavalry couldn’t kill many of their men with missiles during the skirmish. The infantry charged and the missile cavalry was ordered to charge the enemy from behind. Hopefully Venice won’t send reinforcements soon.

Battle against Bernardo of Venice

That's all for today, 9 turns. I hope you guys enjoy reading it as much as I did playing and writing. I tried to keep it simple because I thought it could get too boring.

Any suggestions or commentaries are welcome. Thank you for reading my AAR!
    Next update: the battle of Marcin Herman against the Venetian army near Vienna and the march of Stanislaus to the south.
    Last edited by Molina; December 10, 2006 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Prince Stanislaus of Poland - Middle Game AAR

please continue I enjoyed reading it and I do prefer ones with quite a few pictures as its makes it far more enjoyable to read

Nice AAR! Very action oriented with all the pictures. Ive been wanting to play a Polish campaign, very interesting units.

Thanks AcidJiles and IronMonkey! I'm glad you guys liked it, your comments are very important to me

The next update will be really interesting, you'll see!

IronMonkey, I started reading The Serpent of Milan a minute ago and I have to say it's really good, looking forward to the next turns.
    "No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." - Sulla

Interesting read thus far. I like the biography idea.

10. I have received news of Marcin’s attack. He was able to defeat the enemy, but four hundred of his men were killed. With this much losses we will be unable to march south and fight the Venetians. We will offer them a ceasefire and hopefully we will have time to gather another army.

Crossing the bridge under crossbow fire

Venice retreats

A Jihad has been called on Jerusalem, so far a Christian state, ruled by French nobles. Should it succeed, I will surely gather a crusading army and retake, once again, the Holy Land from Islam.

Jihad

11. The Venetians march within our borders once again. It seems we won’t have much time afterall.

Zagreb and Kiev are ours

12. So far we haven’t had any trouble with Venice. The reinforcements come from Megdeburg and Hamburg and should arrive in two years.

The Holy Land

Zagreb and Vienna, targets of Venetian ambition

13. The Venetians retreat to their homes, it seems we will have some peace, but terrible news reach me today. Jerusalem has fallen to the heathen armies coming from Egypt, who enter the city triumphant. This is a grim day for all Christian princes and kings.

Jerusalem Conquered

14. Taking Ragusa will give us a castle in the south, so we will not have to wait years for reinforcements from the western front.

Muslim Jerusalem

15. Reinforcements finally arrive, and Marcin and I decide to invade Venetian territory. I will take the bombards and attack Ragusa, while he engages any armies that try to march north to take our now defenseless cities.

Entering Venetian territory

16. The Pope is dead. The Cardinals will soon elect a new Pope.

French Pope dies

Polish Pope elected

I will march towards Ragusa in the next weeks, with the son of Boleslaw, Marcin, ahead of my army.

Entering Venetian territory

17. Marcin engages the Venetians outside Ragusa. Semelino Selvo comes from the city to aid the main army.

Marcin attacks Venice

The son of Boleslaw sent me a report of his battle. He was outnumbered but had a good position, with enough space to surround the enemy with missile cavalry. The Venetian corssbowmen eventually started fighting off his cavalry, but the infantry was dispersed and lost, chasing the light cavalry. He ordered the infantry to charge, and the cavalry to engage from the flanks.

Marcin Herman, known for executing all prisoners, did not do any different this time

Cavalry skirmishes on both sides while archers fire at the center

Light cavalry takes heavy casualties

Woodsmen charge the confused enemy

His army was greatly reduced, and now I march to take Ragusa, where we will be able to resupply our armies.

Ragusa was occupied by our forces easily.

Siege of Ragusa

18. Not willing to go against God’s will in this campaign, we cease hostilities with the city of Venice, signing a ceasefire this week.
    Ragusa gives us a port in the Mediterranean. Perhaps this new sea can lead us to fight for a noble cause, the conquest of Jerusalem from the muslim armies. The men who took Zagreb in the crusade against Hungary feel excited about this possibility, and so do I.

Ceasefire with Venice

That's today's 9 turns!
    I hope you guys enjoyed it, I think things are getting interesting.

Your opinion now: should our prince leave to fight muslims in Jerusalem or are the northern conflicts of Europe better?
    I'm not sure what to do!
    "No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." - Sulla

I say go on to Jerusalem! Take back the holy city and show your worth! Make your mark in history!

Besides, if it falls, it'll be one of your successors that allows it too...then again, this could be the last thing the prince does.

Thanks for the comment(s), Henry v. Keiper, and for the suggestion.

I was going to play the next ~10 turns today and update the AAR tomorrow, but with such a small number of opinions (who am I kidding, only one), I decided to wait and continue playing only tomorrow (or even later on).

Come on, guys, some more posts! To Jerusalem or not to Jerusalem, that is the question!

Tom Servo's Avatar Semisalis

Please do continue, AARs are always welcome.

To Jerusalem and in might, I say!
    Great AAR, reminds me of some epic AARs i've read in Paradox forum.
    Keep up the good work.
    (Boa AAR pá, até me dá vontade de fazer uma minha).
    浪人 - 二天一

go for jerusalem

a good AAR . I like the Biograhapy about Stanislaus Well i say - Wait for a chance to a crusade and then March to Jerusalem and show your power to all ! It would be cool

Magnus The Good's Avatar Foederatus

Im enjoying this AAR very much please continue, and march towards Jerusalem

Jerusalem! God wills it!

I have no idea how well your economy works, but I'm going to guess.

My feeling is this, in MTW2 Allies are never "Allies" so always be watchful of your borders.
    So marching an army to Jurasalem? It will either be a great success or a great military blunder. Meaning, you will conquer the Holy Land in the name of Christianity, success and wealth will be yours in abundances!
    Or...you will be defeated or victorious however! Trecharous nearby countries will seek this oppourtunity to snatch back what THEY believe is rightfully theres; for example HRE/Venice/Hungary.

I'm quite a country lover, I love to keep my borders occupied and safe, also I am a non-believer! If God wants the Holy Land, let him send his armies! So Zagreb/Hamburg/Vilinius/Ragusa should become your Strongholds! They are the 4 corners of your Empire, may they stand for enternity...remember a wall of troops will serve you better than a stone wall.

Very good read so far.

Not sure what you should do. Going for the Holy Land could lead to great story and will give you no shortage of enemies to fight but it sounds like you have no shortage of enemies at home.

You could handle it this way – what is the piety of your king? If it is low, don’t go, if high then go crusade!

Why is that Nat?
    Isn't it if you have low piety you go lead the crusade to gain more piety? :hmmm:

What I was getting at in the post was attempting to help him make a choice by following what his character would do. If he is a religious man, he would not worry about his nation’s security and go do the will of God. If he was not a true believer he wouldn’t.

I like to try and ‘play’ the characters somewhat (makes the game more challenging and fun for me) as it often makes them do unwise things

Despite all the enemies surrounding his home, Stanislaus leaves Poland and sails towards the Holy Land. His cousins and brothers should be able to defend from German, Hungarian, Russian and Venetian attacks. Jerusalem should not fall to the muslims.

19. The Pope has called a crusade on Jerusalem. We will leave from Ragusa in a Holk fleet and move towards the Holy Land.

The Crusade

20. Many march towards Jerusalem.

21. As the crusading army gets ready to leave Europe, I recieve news that the Germans attacked a small Polish force near Prague. A Hungarian army seems to march towards Budapest, and the Venetians gather outside Ragusa.
    As if that wasn’t enough, the Danes are once again coming down from Scandinavia with their armies, mostly to fight the English for Flanders, but Hamburg is just on the way and would be a good position to defend Arrhus.

My father doesn’t seem to care much about the western and southern frontiers and doesn’t send any reinforcements from Novgorod or Krakow. These cities and their dukes are on their own now, as I leave to Jerusalem.

22. Leszek Herman, young brother of Marcin, has recently defeated the German army near Prague. There is a larger force marching towards Vienna and a much smaller one near, once again, Prague.

23. (nothing)

Germans in Poland.

24. (nothing)

25. (nothing)

26. I have arrived in the Holy Land. My scouts have informed me of a muslim army near Jerusalem, commanded by a man called Batrawi. I will engage him this month.

The AI shouldn't be allowed to make armies.

Battle against the Egyptians, who end up withdrawing.

Batrawi was defeated and his army retreated to Jerusalem. The city is under siege and is about to be attacked.

The siege

Fighting the muslims

Stanislaus

Population exterminated

Religion problem

The Holy Land under Prince Stanislaus

This could be the last update of this thread. I intended to play just until Stanislaus's father died and he became King, the old man is 60 years old now and is about to die.

Magnus The Good's Avatar Foederatus

Good update, finally the holy land is yours!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast