Thread: Homelands of Dwarves and Elves

Default Homelands of Dwarves and Elves

First, your mod is definitely one of the best TW mods around, at one level with mods like EB.
    And being a Tolkien enthusiast, it is the most immersive middle earth video game to date, I can just spend a day exploring the different factions and reading the lore without even playing a turn^^
    Of course I am playing eventually, an I chose the dwarves (my favouriterace and the guide provided in this forum by count really amazed me).
    I am curious though, which settlements the dwarves and elves don't start with can be used as their homeland (recruiting elven/dwarven units)?
    Rivendell? Ost In Edhil? Gundabad?

Default Re: Homelands of Dwarves and Elves

I meant to reply to this last night, but ended up falling asleep.

I have not played Dwarves yet, but for Elves:

Rivendell is a homeland. It starts Elvish, but if you leave it in Mannish hands too long I believe they can turn it Mannish, and you cannot reverse that. Rivendell is the only place the Noldor Swords can be retrained, and only if it has not turned Mannish, so it is a good idea to grab it right away. You can send Glorfindel straight there, as he will plow through all opposition just by himself; just be careful around Trolls.
    Ost In Edhil is a homeland, but starts out Mannish.

I do believe Gundabad is a Dwarvish Homeland that starts out with a Dwarvish population. It starts Independent so there is no rush as Independents do not build projects, and there no danger of other factions targeting that settlement. This should be verified by someone who has done the Dwarven campaign.

Dale eventually starts moving in Gundabad if left alone and if they're not expanding eastward as much.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

IIRC (don't have access to my games machine atm) Gundabad is a minor settlement, so no recruitment there either way. There is a Dwarven city held by rebel orcs at game start up to the north though, Orodengrin? You can capture that at your leisure and will be able to train Dwarves there.

For elves it is as Wambat says, Rivendell can train elven units if you liberate it fast enough (including a unique heavy cavalry that you will really want to get your hands on) but Ost-in-edhil, if rebuilt, will still be mannish.
    Last edited by webba84; April 24, 2016 at 04:02 AM.

How long does it take for Ost-en-Ethil to be rebuilt once started and not interrupted?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

About 20 turns IIRC.

I sent a sinda elf to Ost-in-Edhil. He was intelligent and charismatic. I gave him foresight via the console.
    He got a "seer" title soon after.
    Is it the population boosting title?
    I saw no difference in the city growth.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

seer is not the population rebuilding title. Try moving him out of and then back into the settlement again, then wait a few turns. Does he have lordship of another region? That might get in the way of things.

Ok, i'll try that, thanks

My char was a Noldo with the "true seer" trait.