Thread: Tunica Manicata

Stealth4Health's Avatar Civis

Default Tunica Manicata

I am in the proccess of creating a new Tunica Manicata. When the main tunic is red, which colour would be optimal or most suitable for the Clavii, Orbiculi and Segmentae? Yellow, blue, purple, white...?
    Last edited by Stealth4Health; April 17, 2016 at 12:09 PM.

Default Re: Tunica Manicata

Why don't you just make the texture diffuse white, with color mask, just like most tunics in-game? This way, the color can use faction color or painted in variantmodel level.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Why don't you just make the texture diffuse white, with color mask, just like most tunics in-game? This way, the color can use faction color or painted in variantmodel level.
    Who said I wouldn't? But yes, actually I am yet not completely sure which way I will go. Since my textures usually do have multiple layers of different coloured dirt and other colour noises and variations on it, I'd need more then the 3 masks actually. On the other hand, such detail is probably not necessary. I will see. Still I would already love to know if white or purple decorations for example were possibly appropriate for a red tunic.
    Last edited by Stealth4Health; April 17, 2016 at 04:24 PM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Schreib ihm hier eine PM: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/membe...Flavius-Aetius
    Er hatte sogar mal eine eigene Website über diese Tuniken.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Schreib ihm hier eine PM: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/membe...Flavius-Aetius
    Er hatte sogar mal eine eigene Website über diese Tuniken.
    Ja ich habe schon gehofft, dass er antworten wird Wenn er das nicht so oder so demnächst machen wird, werde ich ihm eine PM schreiben.
    Last edited by Stealth4Health; April 17, 2016 at 04:25 PM.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If it was a dye color readily available, it would be fine. Blues, Greens, Mustards/deep oranges (Bright Yellows and oranges came from Saffron which was an expensive dye, good for an officer though), reds, whites, etc would be great for a soldier's tunic, just no purple or purple-bluish colors.

Only way I can think of black decorations is naturally black wool, but I know black thread/etc survives so it's plausible.

That being said, I know of one example of a red tunic that survives from Egypt and it has sort of a pale yellow "embroidery."
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; April 17, 2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    If it was a dye color readily available, it would be fine. Blues, Greens, Mustards/deep oranges (Bright Yellows and oranges came from Saffron which was an expensive dye, good for an officer though), reds, whites, etc would be great for a soldier's tunic, just no purple or purple-bluish colors.

Only way I can think of black decorations is naturally black wool, but I know black thread/etc survives so it's plausible.

That being said, I know of one example of a red tunic that survives from Egypt and it has sort of a pale yellow "embroidery."
    Thanks for the answer!

So just to make sure, are you here referring to the main colour of the tunic or also to the decorations? I guess not, but if you are referring to the decorations, do you know why there are for example so many drawings and illustrations of soldiers with red tunics with purple trims and Orbiculi? I think even Graham Sumner got such an illustration in one of his books based on the Via Maria catacomb painting of a soldier with a shield pattern similar to the Matiarii one of the Notitia.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Knock-off purples existed, but they were still expensive and technically illegal.

So just to make sure, are you here referring to the main colour of the tunic or also to the decorations?
    Both.

Knock-off purples existed, but they were still expensive and technically illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth4Health View Post
    So just to make sure, are you here referring to the main colour of the tunic or also to the decorations?
    Both.
    OK, thanks!