Thread: The Issue with unit pullout

Default The Issue with unit pullout

One of the fundamental difference I've noticed between Rome 2 and Attila+Shogun is that Rome allows you to withdraw engaged units with relative ease while Attila/Shogun punishes you with massive casualties.

This is rather detrimental as it makes cavalry into a 1-2 use unit with massive casualties rate for almost every battle.

Im saying is not that cavalry in its current state is UP,but rather the fact that cycle charging or cavalry withdraw of any-kind is unviable,if u withdraw a unit,basically everyone in the front ranks will die in a very short span(3-8 seconds) of time even if its cataphracts,whereas if u leave them in melee,they could last 5+ minutes on their own(but lose regardless).

I might add that units do not even needs to be fully engaged to receive withdraw casualties,even partially engaged units gets smacked heavily by the withdraw bat.
    I would figure that it is in the game to balance the massive 'OPNESS' of cavalry in the vanilla game,something that is not present in the mod.
    Is this difference something hard coded into the game?Or is it something could be changed by modding in the future?

Default Re: The Issue with unit pullout

Yeah, totally agree. This almost always makes me ragequit.

Cavalry charges to back side of the enemy. Enemies get some casualties. Cavalry disengages, loses majority and scatters. That is what TW Attila combat is all about.
    What annoys me even more when enemy forces retreat and while your troops are chasing routing enemies and start routing themselves suddenly. Because game is so poorly coded that units wont recognize that the enemy is routing and not FLANKING them , atleast this was working properly in Shogun 2 or when enemy unit is "split cheating" and splitting one unit like 199-1 and that 1 soldier sits in rear of your flank making the flanked debuff on your soldiers, but too bad you cant target it because you can only target that spot where the flag is howering.
    Last edited by Jin-; April 09, 2016 at 11:56 AM.

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

Move a unit to where that guy is, they will attack and kill him.

I have to say I am of the opinion that cavalry in general(espacially shock) may need to be beefed up to make up for their complete inability to cycle charge.
    Even A complete victory always results in most your cavalries been dead(light,melee or cataphract).

Despite the superior campaign mechanics and battle interface,I think i could never get too invested into FOTE due to this problem(battle wise).

So I assume this still hasn't been fixed?
    The only thing you cannot do with a bayonet is sit on it. Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord,1st Prime Minister of France, Prince of Benevento.