Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (I, II, III) - CD Projekt RED games

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: The Witcher (I, II, III) - CD Projekt RED games

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    So you haven't played WIII yet DaVinci? I can'r describe how much I envy you, I would give my kidney to erase my memory and experience this game for the first time again.
    A second playtrhough is still glorious, but this first playthrough was one helluva ride, def. my best gaming experience in the last few years.
    That's right, i usually come late to the party.

I'm even still in W2, which i but started anew after i was neartly through with act 1 - that, because i lost all save games (from all games) due to moving Windows user folders around between partitions to get it back to Windows-default while preparing a SSD installation (should have saved the last save games prior to this action, yes).

All old Witcher fans/players but can enjoy the coming Blood and Wine, which is described as something that big like W3 Wild Hunt and Hearts of Stone.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Blood and Wine is as big as Witcher 2 - should give 30+ hours of gameplay.. W3 Wild Hunt has 60+ and Hearts of Stone 10+ hours of gameplay. (and this is for the main story and some secondary quests... you can easily spend twice as much... at least i did)
    Last edited by JaM; May 23, 2016 at 09:43 AM.

The most exciting statement is: it has 19k sentences of dialogues compared to 23k in the main game. I really hope there is some connection to the main game. I didn't like Hearts of Stone that much, altough quality was excellent, because it felt so alien, and unpersonal compared to the main quest. In my wishful thinking it would act as an epilogue/adendum to main game, that would give a perfect conclusion of the saga.

yeah, actually developers mentioned that Blood and Wine is meant to be played after main game, as it provides some further closure.. what can i say... just 6 more days...

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

I don't want them making connections to the main game but to whole novel series, that would be grand. Not that i've read any of them but i know most of ingame storylines for all games.

Witcher 3 already felt very connected to the novels and im sure Blood & Wine will too considering Geralt spent quite a lot of time in Tousssaint.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Patrician Artifex

As for "big like", my memory from a dev-diary-video obviously tricked me there, also i rather meant it regarding map-size and content-depth that has been put into B&W by CDPR. Regarding gameplay-time, i mean to have read somewhere "40 hours". While i think, as JaM mentioned already, that's anyway a lot dependent of the subjective playstyle, for example i usually take my time vs. rushing through the quests.

Here is another B&W info-link: http://www.express.co.uk/entertainme...Details-Leaked ... with a list of contents, possibly not known by the one and other, found that with search "map size blood and wine" ( not that somebody thinks, i would usually read from that press source ).

So really, Heart of Stone should be played after B&W?
    When i install Wild Hunt and all of the DLC in one step together, what i plan before i start to play the W3 contents, how is overall the changing between the DLC's organised (i mean the concept)?
    For example, are they separate games with own menu and game folders under Steam/common (Wild Hunt, HoS, B&W, plus free DLC quests folders) or all in Wild Hunt folder implemented and/or via one menu with different title buttons?
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 23, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    The most exciting statement is: it has 19k sentences of dialogues compared to 23k in the main game. I really hope there is some connection to the main game. I didn't like Hearts of Stone that much, altough quality was excellent, because it felt so alien, and unpersonal compared to the main quest. In my wishful thinking it would act as an epilogue/adendum to main game, that would give a perfect conclusion of the saga.
    I personally liked Hearts of Stone's more compact and focused side story style presentation, since the main game pacing got pretty scattershot towards the end and not exactly helping was one of the easiest final bosses in any game I recall playing. Even if we account obvious hints of the guy's power being more political he could at the very least try to hit back and offer a challenge but alas.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    When i install Wild Hunt and all of the DLC in one step together, what i plan before i start to play the W3 contents, how is overall the changing between the DLC's organised (i mean the concept)?
    For example, are they separate games with own menu and game folders under Steam/common (Wild Hunt, HoS, B&W, plus free DLC quests folders) or all in Wild Hunt folder implemented and/or via one menu with different title buttons?
    Guest log has clear visuals if quest is related to the expansion or not. I'd advice playing Hearts of Stone before B&W so you're not hopelessly overleveled to your opposition and make it a breeze. You can finish HoS before you finish the main plot of the Witcher 3 too. One character in HoS has unique dialog depending if you've progressed past certain point in the main plot or not.
    Last edited by Mjarr; May 23, 2016 at 03:41 PM.

As for "big like", my memory from a dev-diary-video obviously tricked me there, also i rather meant it regarding map-size and content-depth that has been put into B&W by CDPR. Regarding gameplay-time, i mean to have read somewhere "40 hours". While i think, as JaM mentioned already, that's anyway a lot dependent of the subjective playstyle, for example i usually take my time vs. rushing through the quests.

Here is another B&W info-link: http://www.express.co.uk/entertainme...Details-Leaked ... with a list of contents, possibly not known by the one and other, found that with search "map size blood and wine" ( not that somebody thinks, i would usually read from that press source ).

Don't know if I got the gist, but everything is in the Wild Hunt folder. Within that, there's a dlc subfolder. You can activate/deactivate all dlc ingame, the Hearts of Stone quests are marked in the quest log.

Patrician Artifex

Thank you both, you've put light on my points.

As for the quest order or DLCs, i'm more the true-to-lore-priority-guy. So which order is advised from that perspective?

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Heart of stone is better to be played before Blood and Wine. Some HoS character stories are connected to the main game's characters (one example is the old woman selling the viper gear asking you about a friend of yours you met in the main game). However, HoS first quest requires you to be at least lev 33. At that point you are already towards the end of the game

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Patrician Artifex

That's interesting, especially also the required level 33 prior to starting HoS, thanks for the hints.

We all can be excited, in how far B&W (as second Wild Hunt expansion/last Geralt-Witcher story) is organised, ie. level requirement yes or no (or starting again as rookie, upps ... as it is with W2 and W3-WH).

Other question(s):

You all know the free Wild Hunt DLCs, i guess (CDPR's generous behaviour, just while other companies would charge a lot of money for those contents).
    I already have them all Steam-registered, right after the Wild Hunt and Expansion Pass Steam-purchasement.

Are there any of them, which should be avoided to install, as for any reason or have (bad designed) lore-distraction-content or even technical issues?
    There are also a few additional quests/missions ... for example, at which point those become relevant, at the end of Wild Hunt or within the story-line, any relation to the lore or complete artifically added?

Opinions, experiences?
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 24, 2016 at 02:10 PM.

yeah, i actually like the fact you only play those expansions as well skilled witcher, as Geralt should be in the first place..

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    yeah, i actually like the fact you only play those expansions as well skilled witcher, as Geralt should be in the first place..
    Wait, you know already, that B&W requires a level? Edit: Forget that question, level 40 is required, at least according to the leaked info (should have read it closer).

Also, if anybody minds, look at my other added questions regarding the free DLC missions etc..
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 24, 2016 at 02:17 PM.

What was that about first person mode in that express.co site? O.o
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    What was that about first person mode in that express.co site? O.o
    We can only speculate about that as there are no specifics given. Possibly a real first person camera view as choice (as it is ie. with Skyrim and many other RPGs), instead of over the shoulder etc.?

Also, if anybody minds, look at my other added questions regarding the free DLC missions etc..
    Looping bit before, all DLC is pretty seamlessly integrated to the game. Hearts of Stone - and presumably B&W - have their own mark on quest log to point out it's related to the expansion while other quests like Skellige's Most Wanted are like any other quest with their own level requirements and without realising it's installed you just might think it's always been there. Since they are sidequests the impact on lore and plot is 0. As for my subjective rundown of DLCs:

-Temerian armour set: meh, didn't install even if it looks decent.
    -Beard and hairstyle set: allows more customisation at barbers at the expense of effecting dynamic hair and beard grow a bit. Since the dynamic bear grow doesn't allow epic hobo beards you can keep clean and static look too.
    -Yenn's alternate look: well, it looks fancy but also something you'd probably not wear outside unless you want to freeze to death. I liked the default one more.
    -Missing miners: Witcher contract. No real impact on plot, just more extra to do. Not bad though.
    -Nilfgaardian armour set: looks nice but didn't really care much about it nor paid much attention either.
    -Elite crossbow set: didn't care about it.
    -Fool's Gold: somewhat amusing quest that's... well, like a random sidequest. Still not bad.
    -Qwent card set: I honestly got tired of Qwent early on and didn't care much for it so no real comment.
    -Scavenger hunt: like any other scavenger hunt, more stuff to do or search if you want, especially if you want more possible variety in Witcher gears.
    -Triss' alternate look: same as with Yenn.
    -Skellige's Most Wanted: pretty good sidequest which welds together with some decisions you've made in some other sidequests during the game.
    -Skellige armour set: forgot this one existed so no comment.
    -Where Cat and Wolf play: sidequest involving another Witcher. Nothing too special but not that bad either really.
    -New finisher animations: forgot this one existed too so no comment.
    -NG+: if you want to replay the game from old save and eventually reach 70+ level.

Patrician Artifex

Thanks Mjarr, for the shed of light on these items.

So under the line, so far i understand, there is no free DLC which should be avoided by all means, ie. technical issues with the game in whatsoever regard.

All extra quests are well shaped and have like all side-quests no impact on the main plot.

Seems, it is just a complete subjective decision for a no or yes installation - this is good news for me in this perspective of the free DLCs.

Btw., how do you guys think about (missing) idle animations for Geralt ... i wonder why CDPR decided to pay no attention on such a character part.
    You know, i mean sitting on chairs etc. idles, aside to cutscenes. I'm judging from W1 and W2 here.

Also, would be great to exchange obsolete items with NPCs as gifts, instead selling them all ... ie. would be nice to see a friend is wearing a better weapon or garment or even only by a random NPC, which you like somehow or whatever.
    Besides that i find it odd, that the "looting" from any places is possible without any harm incl. from houses of neutral or friendly NPCs, while those NPCs watch you getting "their things". I do it nonetheless, because those loot-items are there to take, by the player along game-design. But then i always feel a bit strange, like a thief (what you are by fact then). And otherwise, you play Geralt as the good guy along lore (by default concept).

Next thing, Geralt never needs to sleep or to eat/drink ... .

Hm, did CDPR possibly decide, that a mutant like a witcher doesn't have needs?

Those are my main found weakspots with this game.

Well okay, ie. also with Skyrim, those items are first possible, or plausible implemented, with certain mods (which enrich the Skyrim gameplay immensely).
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 24, 2016 at 05:03 PM.

You could then do the same as me and get the basic needs mod. Includes having to eat, drink and sleep (meditate, which is awesome with the friendly hud mod too). Though the new patch coming with Blood and Wine will make all mods have to be updated...
    Last edited by Wulfburk; May 24, 2016 at 09:42 PM.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Doing one more playthrough to prepare for Blood and Wine with School of the Roach mod. It is combination of many big mods so it feels like an overhaul. And it's compatible with alot of other mods aswell. But i don't think i would finish both vanilla and dlc in one week.