Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer I & II & III Computer & Hardware Recommendations

Default Re: Hardware Queries & Advice

Hello! Will My computer handle the game on low, high or medium? Thank you for any answers!
    Specs:
    CPU: intel i7-5700 HQ 2,70GHz
    RAM: 8,00 GB
    Not sure of the graphic card.
    i Will link the computer here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE62-2QC-...#hero-overview

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post
    I am not expecting the GTX 1080 to give me the boost I want over the GTX 980Ti.
    Well, Nvidia claims it has twice the performance of a TitanX and is faster than two 980 in Sli. Doubt that actually translates literally into actual gaming, but we'll see. In any case, if you have a 980, I imagine that's already overkill for Warhammer. We should not be paying absurd amounts of money to compensate for poorly optimized games anyways. (For instance, Overwatch looks quite good even in low settings and it runs a lot better than the awful looking Natural Selection 2, so it's not always your hardware's fault, good development and artistic design are quite impactful).

I may well opt for a 4K monitor, although at the moment I am struggling to make my mind up as to the screen size and resolution to go for
    Since several years ago I just go with the industry standards (right now that would be 1080p). It's just like with VR, yes the idea is cool and all, but it's absurdly expensive, no one uses it and there is almost no interesting compatible software.

Most things these days are designed/optimized with 1080p in mind, and honestly, 1080p looks quite good already. Getting better stuff ahead of time is most likely going to have diminishing returns (overpriced stuff, highly increased required hardware costs and lack of compatible content, mainly).

For screen size, if you play sitting in front of a desk, I would not go a lot higher than 24 or 27 inches. You don't want to be moving your head around to see stuff. If you are going to sit further away, then you can consider something bigger. And even then I'd also stick to 1080p. Just so you get the idea, my cousin has got a TV that is essentially longer than I am (1.80 metres (~ 5' 10") wide) and he uses it with a 1080p resolution. You have to stick your head to the panel to even notice the pixels, and when you sit on the sofa the difference between 720p and 1080p is unnoticeable unless you stop the playback and make an effort to spot the little details.

never mind which monitor is the best?
    I bought a VA screen last year after an extensive research and I'm really happy with it. I have not even noticed the whole "lag" thing people complain about, and I play plenty of fast paced shooters. The blacks are great and the colors are much better than your usual TN pannels, and there is no bleeding at all. The only alternative I'd consider is an IPS pannel, but you'll only notice slightly better colors (and honestly, for me the "bleeding" issues IPS monitors usually have are a much bigger drawback than 5% color accuracy loss that you are not even going to notice and that is going to have no impact at all on your day-to-day usage unless you are a professional visual artist or something).

For the record: it's an Iiyama pro-lite xb2483hsu which costed me around 170€ (I only researched 150€-400€ monitors though).

Essentially:

• TN: fluid but awful colors and bleeding. I would never get one of these.
    • IPS: best colour accuracy, usual bleeding problems (corners glow a lot). I would only get one of this if you are a professional visual designer or if you don't care about immersion (good colours but average blacks).
    • VA: Much better colors than TN and almost as good as with IPS, much better blacks (better contrast) than IPS. No bleeding at all. People claim they are bad for gaming (response problems), but I have never noticed it (and I play fast-paced stuff like BF3, Quake 3 or Rocket League). Probably the best option for movies and immersive gaming.

That said, if you want to spend 1000gbp in a monitor, the issues are not to severe with the high end stuff.

The prices in the states for these new Nvidia cards compared to what we will have to pay in the UK don't seem to tally, are you going to get them cheap, or are we being ripped?
    Well, at least in the UK they convert the currency. In mainland Europe they usually just go 350$ = 350€ (and in some cases it even goes higher). (For the record, 350$ = 309.5€)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludvig1 View Post
    Hello! Will My computer handle the game on low, high or medium? Thank you for any answers!
    Specs:
    i Will link the computer here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE62-2QC-...#hero-overview
    I imagine you'll be able to play the game on medium with a decent framerate, and even crank up some settings to high without it getting too choppy. With laptops you never know though, so just a wild guess.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM.

This game really promises

Quote Originally Posted by Ludvig1 View Post
    Specs:
    Probably medium to a few high settings.

As for the new GPUs there were more leaks of the new Polaris coming out and the Polaris 10 supposedly is running about 45% faster than current cards and will debut about +10% higher than R9 390 so around $350 to $400 depending on brand/cooling/OC.

Gaming wise +45% is not directly translated but is almost always at least a +30% jump in FPS and would make 2k almost playable as a R9 390 now often gets at least 25-30 fps on most current games in 1440P which would jump up to around 40 FPS on most games.

Of course developers can still do alot in 1080P and make even more details which when shown at 1440P lower fps... I'd guess 1080P will be standard for at least 2 more years but I'd be surprised if more and more developers don't start transitioning to a new standard for games coming out holidays 2018. Already about 6% of Steam have primary display resolution above 1080P and over 30% have multi monitor resolution above 2k with adoption rates a bit less than 1% per month so in 36 months IF that adoption rate held steady there would be nearly 35% of the market- however as monitors of 1440P and higher prices decline adoption rates pick up and I'd guess by 2018 around 45% of the market will have primary display better than 1080P and +60% will have multi monitor resolution close to 4k.
    Last edited by Ichon; May 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM.

Archilles's Avatar Semisalis

So what do you think about my laptop? Is the laptop good enough for low or medium graphics?

I have the Samsung RC730 Laptop!
    RAM 8 GB
    Intel Core i7-2370QM 2,2GHz
    Nvidia GeForce 540 GT

I am thinking about buying a new PC, but when i can run the game with my laptop i will wait an other year before buying a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Archilles View Post
    So what do you think about my laptop? Is the laptop good enough for low or medium graphics?

I have the Samsung RC730 Laptop!
    RAM 8 GB
    Intel Core i7-2370QM 2,2GHz
    Nvidia GeForce 540 GT

I am thinking about buying a new PC, but when i can run the game with my laptop i will wait an other year before buying a new system.
    Low to Medium depending on optimizations CA managed and your fps tolerance.

Thanks for the response HigoChumbo,

The monitor size you suggests sounds correct, I currently have a 24" decent Dell IPS panel. I read many reviews and went for image quality over 1 ms response times. Like you I have seen no problems gaming.
    I sit 30 inches from the screen and could go larger than my 24", so I will probably go for a 27" as per your suggestion, larger curved screens are an option, don't know if I'm a fan though.

My real problem is I have both the money and a fussy nature, in that I don't like the idea of something being just ok, I want something I know is really good. I have a friend who thinks i'm mad/reckless, and yet every thing he buys is what I would describe as budget even though he has no mortgage and big savings.

It's convenient to buy a PC if you have the money, that is overkill now, but you know will do a good job for quite some time to come.
    It will be interesting to see how much better the GTX 1080 is over the GTX 980ti, in actual gaming terms, from leaked reports I read around 20-25%, hopefully it will be much more!

Citizen

Blog Entries

larger curved screens are an option, don't know if I'm a fan though.
    Curved screens only "work" if you are going to be the only one using the pc and if you sit in a very specific position. People tend to buy them as a living room TV screen and that's just a waste of money, since there is just no effect then.

The guys at Rock Paper Shotgun wrote an interesting article on them some time ago. They said the difference is noticeable, but subtle.

My real problem is I have both the money and a fussy nature, in that I don't like the idea of something being just ok, I want something I know is really good.
    If I had the money I'd do the same, specially since it takes a lot less of research (although you still have to tell the difference between "very good" and "overhyped gimmick".

Since you have the money, I guess I might try a 4k curved screen with one (or two ^^) GTX1080.

It's convenient to buy a PC if you have the money, that is overkill now, but you know will do a good job for quite some time to come.
    Given that you have the money and knowing how much technology evolves and how many new cool stuff comes every year, I think I'd just buy a (reasonably) very good pc now and just change it every 2 or 3 years.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

first comparison of an OC aircooled GTX 1080 compared to my OC aircooled GTX 970: reveals the 1080 has a little bit more than the double performance at nearly same wattage - which is a remarkable achievement nevertheless - hence you can assume they used more modern hardware (CPU and RAM) so I am not too impressed and assume further that my rig benched with a same CPU and RAM they used - this gap would be considerably smaller.

firestrike ultra (4K) 1080 OC 6232 GPU Points http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/72297/1/
    firestrike ultra (4K) 970 OC 2883 GPU Points http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4567704

definitely I do not see the gap that large as Nvidia showed it:

Last edited by alQamar; May 15, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Note that that's Virtual Reality related performance, hence my reservations about the new generation. In any case, still definitely over the 900 series in my list.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 15, 2016 at 05:26 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

True true... whatever virtual reality performance is... perhaps Minesweeper 360°. I am pretty much disappointed. Nvidia said clear it has twice the performance of a Titan X (citation) and now it has hardly more than twice the performance of 970 if both are overclocked.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    True true... whatever virtual reality performance is... perhaps Minesweeper 360°. I am pretty much disappointed. Nvidia said clear it has twice the performance of a Titan X (citation) and now it has hardly more than twice the performance of 970 if both are overclocked.
    Hi alQamar,

The reviews for the 1080 should be out in another week or so? I am guessing on what little I have read, but at the moment I am concerned that if I wait for a 1080ti, it will only be 40-50% faster than the 980ti.

What real term % gains have been seen running 2 high end Nvidia cards in sli in RTWII/Attila at higher resolutions?

The monitor size you suggests sounds correct, I currently have a 24" decent Dell IPS panel. I read many reviews and went for image quality over 1 ms response times. Like you I have seen no problems gaming.
    I sit 30 inches from the screen and could go larger than my 24", so I will probably go for a 27" as per your suggestion, larger curved screens are an option, don't know if I'm a fan though.

My real problem is I have both the money and a fussy nature, in that I don't like the idea of something being just ok, I want something I know is really good. I have a friend who thinks i'm mad/reckless, and yet every thing he buys is what I would describe as budget even though he has no mortgage and big savings.
    You should definitely see a 27" monitor in person... I sit about 30 inches away as well and 27" if its is 1440P is ok but 1080P does not seem very sharp especially for text at that distance and size. I've found my personal optimum currently is a 25" 1440P monitor as 27" in some games and many work situations feels just a tiny bit large where I am tempted to lean forward or turn my head. I haven't seen a decent 27" curved screen yet as most start around 30" which just seems too large for a desktop monitor when I sit so close but if they release one I'd definitely be curious if it gets rid of the wanting to lean/turn my head feeling.

If the new GTX 1080 is 20% faster than a 980Ti at release that is quite good result as in 6 months after a few driver updates should be 25-30% faster in most games.

Thanks Ichon.

For those interested in monitors try this summary of all the main types https://www.monitornerds.com/best-ga...c-freesync-4k/

If you find one you like look it up in Amazon customer reviews to let you know about quality control etc on any given brand, although look at dates in case of a problem with a certain batch perhaps.
    Last edited by Frost, colonel; May 15, 2016 at 09:32 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi Frost Colonel,

I had argues about the 1080 as other forumers try to magically justify clear statements made by Mr. Huang.

at the end of the presentation he said the 1080 GTX has twice the performance of a Titan X, and he did so 3 times within just one minute.

at 50:15 again at 50:36 and for a third time at 50:41. I wonder how he can afford to make such false statements.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 16, 2016 at 04:28 AM. Reason: fixed youtube link

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    You should definitely see a 27" monitor in person... I sit about 30 inches away as well and 27" if its is 1440P is ok but 1080P does not seem very sharp especially for text at that distance and size. I've found my personal optimum currently is a 25" 1440P monitor as 27" in some games and many work situations feels just a tiny bit large where I am tempted to lean forward or turn my head. I haven't seen a decent 27" curved screen yet as most start around 30" which just seems too large for a desktop monitor when I sit so close but if they release one I'd definitely be curious if it gets rid of the wanting to lean/turn my head feeling.
    I have been warned about getting a monitor that is to big, although I could move a monitor back up to 12" if needed. You said some games didn't work well on a 27", what type and why? At the moment I really only play the Total war series, it is for these games I want the optimal size, all those little figures running around.

A curved screen is interesting, but seeing one in a shop is not something I feel I would get used to at home? it's something I would have to live with, and it's lot of money to waste if you can't live with it. I ummed and arrghed over a curved TV panel, but went with a good flat panel in the end and like it!

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Hi Frost Colonel,

I had argues about the 1080 as other forumers try to magically justify clear statements made by Mr. Huang.
    at the end of the presentation he said the 1080 GTX has twice the performance of a Titan X, and he did so 3 times within just one minute.
    at 50:15 again at 50:36 and for a third time at 50:41. I wonder how he can afford to make such false statements.
    Well does he mean twice the performance on paper/theory or in cherry picked applications/settings? The other aspect one has to consider is people can often believe what they want to hear. Even when the first proper reviews are out, don't forget to give the drivers some extra time to mature. Personally I'm a bit of a skeptical old sod, still it would be nice if things can really move on a pace instead of these slow steady hikes we see in performance.

Do you ever get the idea that some PC hardware advancements are deliberately held back from us to maximise their profits over a given period of time, via a controlled release schedule?

Citizen

Blog Entries

You said some games didn't work well on a 27", what type and why?
    It's a matter of size and distance. A theatre is probably the best place to watch a movie, but if you sit in the first row you are going to have painful experience. It's not about the screen being 27inches, it's about it being too close, since it being too close forces you to move your head around to see stuff (for instance, you would need to move your head to watch the UI to check on health or ammo in some games, so it's better to have an adequate screen size so that you have all the information available without having to turn the head round). The other disadvantage is that if you sit too close and the resolution is not high enough for that distance, the effective resolution will be worse, since you'll actually spot the pixels (that's why pixel density matters, a 1080p 24 inches screen will look better than a 1080p 27 inches screen if you sit at the same distance from it).

For Total War though it should not be an issue. It's slow paced enough and you don't really need to have lightning glances at the screen. Given that TW is a game which is often played zoomed out, then in theory a big screen with a large resolution would be better (so that you see soldiers and not a messy bunch of pixels), although TW has always used sprites when zoomed out (pixelated 2d animations), so it does not really matter in the end.

but went with a good flat panel in the end and like it!
    What did you finally get?

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    What did you finally get?
    Thanks for the explanation on screen size vs distance vs resolution, all rather self explanatory when you think about it, I just wondered if there was something I missed.

What did I finally go for, did you mean my TV or the PC monitor?

TV wise I went for one of the 49" Sony Bravia 4K model(can't remember the exact one) that was half the price at £800 from the £1600 listed 18 months or so before. Viewing distance 6 ft. Took me several days of thinking it was to big before I got use to it, now I have it's perfect for good Blu-rays. Was not a big fan of 3D, but Avatar in 3D on that TV is very very good. Some times I turn my nose up at technology, but until you really try this stuff at a fairly optimal level you don't know what your missing(the same goes for PC's, both in monitors and surround sound set up). I am quite a film buff, and read reviews of every Blu-ray release as some are terrible, some are just stunning from 50-60yr old films.

Monitor wise I have a list of them, trying to be sensible and practical, at the moment a decent 2K resolution IPS panel 27" flat seems the best idea. Dell do a lovely 5k resolution 27" flat screen, perfect colours out of the box(I do not enjoy having to fiddle and set things up).
    Here's a few ideas:
    1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-XB270H...s=Acer+XB270HU
    2. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-...mo-088-as.html
    3. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-...mo-089-as.html
    4. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-...mo-078-de.html
    5. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-...mo-090-as.html

Now, one has to admit 3. is a thing of beauty and a bit tempting, but a risk!

4K and 5K resolutions are not always supported, I like my PC's to be simple to use as I am someone who can afford something decent, but doesn't really know how, and doesn't really want to learn how to really get to grips with technology and settings etc, it's just not my thing. 4K and 5K especially, murder frame rates, cards in sli cost double, have driver issues, and aren't always supported well, their also hot and noisy unless you go liquid cooling, or I just turn up the volume on my 7.1 speaker setup.

I would just like to put in 1 serious GPU and can run every game and mod flawlessly on extreme settings for 3 yrs.
    Awaiting GPU release's and fps results up til December 2016, then will get on the blower(phone) to one of the bright young people at Overclockers.co.uk and discuss all the latest parts(that have the bugs ironed out), and what is the optimal sweet spot for DDR4 memory MHz vs latency timings.

Libertus

Monitors.

1. In 2016 to spend money on a 1080 monitor for gaming it is stupid. Go for 1440p if you care about 120-144HZ panels or 4k if you care more about the real estate of your screen.
    2. If you go for 144p, around 27" is optimal as pixel size.
    3. If you go for 4k, the optimal size is found around 40". If you buy a small 4k (27-30") you will have very sharp images but you will have scaling problems. There are programs where there is scaling and there are many, including a lot of games, where scaling is very bad.
    4. For both 4k and 1440p there is an option to play at lower than advised resolution if your videocard does not reach the fps you need (If you play strategy games like Total War, fps is not as important as for other genres). Spend money on expensive videocards knowing that in 1-1.5 years it will, at least, half its price. For example 780ti was 700+$ about 1 year ago. With GTX1080 and especially GTX1070, I doubt one can sell one for more than 300$ starting next month. Ask yourself how much you need to pay that premium. If you have money to spend on your hobby, than buy whatever you like. But if you want to spend smart, you should target GTX1070 or similar AMD (probably 490-490x) videocard price point and performance (350-400$). Wont be enough for 60 fps in 4k but neither will 1080. One of the advantages of 4k is that you can lower some settings (AA for example) and it will still look very good. Expect less than 60 fps or lower than ultra settings if you plan to run only one card that is currently on the market or arriving this year. And two cards bring their own assortment of problem as: no proper support in games, heat in your case and house, noise, lots of power from the wall and so on.

Good luck in your decision!
    Last edited by Gicusan; May 16, 2016 at 10:50 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast