Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inquisitors are realistic and pwn. Stop whining

Default Inquisitors are realistic and pwn. Stop whining

Am I the only one who feels like inquisitors actually add to the game and pwn all?

After all, many innocents died at the hands of inquisitions and these inquisitors kill off a lot of my enemies.

Stop your whining, build some churches and go on a crusade

end of story

Default Re: Inquisitors are realistic and pwn. Stop whinin

Inquisitors did not historically target royal family members. A quick read of any of a number of online or text sources will confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus II View Post
    After all, many innocents died at the hands of inquisitions and these inquisitors kill off a lot of my enemies.
    Sorry, they are as realistic as Mickey Mouse riding a Dinosaur. I won't repeat what the inquisition was able to do and what it definetely never did. I said it many times in other threads. For the never look at what they do ingame. Therefore they're not adding to the game.

And as for building churches and the likes. Been there, done that. Look at some other threads for a discussion about that kind of solution - which doesn't work.

lawngnome's Avatar Cool as a Dry Ice.

Sure... I'll go on a crusade... if the inquisitor doesn't roast my king that's going on crusade as he moves towards the holy land. Yeah, that's historically accurate alright. You did know that Barbarossa was executed by an inquisitor on his way to Jerusalem, right?
    Under the patronage of lawngnome. Patron of lawngnome.

Aawww and they covered his death as an accident
    besides that i dont complain how inquisitors work in this game
    i can deal with cannon elephants too
    but claiming thats "historicaly" is uhm...whak
    Last edited by Wurfspiess; December 09, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
    You ask for steak, I bring you fish. You say that you think steak is better than fish. I say that fish is much more popular than steak so obviously it's better. You say that no matter how good the fish is it can't be better at being steak than the actual steak we used to serve. I say that's just your perception and you're entitled to it but you should accept that fish is the future and that's good. You begin to say something but I stab you in the eye with a fork and run into the kitchen.

ebodur's Avatar Foederatus

seriously what they are capable to do is way too stupid... killing even the kings. but tbh i am playing this game at least 2 hours everyday since its out and i have never ever had problems with them. maybe i am just lucky...

As a game device inquisitors are sometimes intriguing. As history they are a farce. Why does Monty Python come to mind. Ha! No one expects the Spanish Inquision.

My solution is simply to play a game as the Papacy, it's great fun. Not particularly challenging, but damn good fun for me at least. This way you can laugh sadistically as you go around mercilessly killing captains, merchants, princesses, and Kings alike. I will admit though that theyr are way too powerful. At any level above abut 6 they are close to unstoppable.

But hey, if you can't beat them, play as them.
    Life is an STD with a 100 percent fatality rate.

Quote Originally Posted by allypup View Post
    As a game device inquisitors are sometimes intriguing.
    Very much so. Perfect relations with the pope, two 9 piety cardinals, one of the a preferity. Inquistitor comes along. Needs three tries, fourth time lucky. Preferiti are gone.

Very intriguing, realistic and motivating, since I had him surrounded with my best cardinals to stop him from going after my king.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus II View Post
    Am I the only one who feels like inquisitors actually add to the game and pwn all?

Stop your whining, build some churches and go on a crusade

end of story
    Yeah! Many innocents died for the inquisition, including the British King, his two sons, three cardinals and four princesses. All in less than 5 years! Inquisition pwn! [Just happened on my game.]

Btw, 'pwn' is a lame word imo.

The inquisitors are lame, ahistorical and completely overpowered.
    They kill even Piety-filled priests. Ok, the guy is a living saint, so burn him at the stake!

I almost feel like this thread started as a trolling-attempt.

Trolling- meaning, of the fishing-way. Drop a highly arguable comment into to forum and watch people go all worked up and write a 100 different explanations, why the inquistiors are not realistic.

Unless the thread starter has absolutely no idea about history, but again, then this thread has flame-warning written all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseArcher View Post
    Unless the thread starter has absolutely no idea about history.
    I think that's indeed the case. There are a lot of people around, who actually think, that inquisitors weren't dependant on the particular rulers and were nearly allmighty. I even suspect, that the developers fell for the same misconception.

Besides, the inquisition wasn't the same thing as witch-burning. Simply admiting to be a heretic and asking for redemption and guidance was enough to not get burned.

The inquisition mostly burned those thick-headed enough to persist that they were right and the catholic religion was wrong, like some of the leaders of the templar order and Joan of Arc.

I had a really long, well-conceived, perfectly-phrased reply and analysis of the situation, but then an inquisitor showed up in my apartment and set fire to my computer, my dog, the mayor, and my hair. Thanks, Marcus.

Ah well.

In the name of purity,
    Aq

Quote Originally Posted by Xatham View Post
    The inquisition mostly burned those thick-headed enough to persist that they were right and the catholic religion was wrong, like some of the leaders of the templar order and Joan of Arc.
    Now that's an entirely different matter. The burning of the templars was indeed a political murder organised by the French king being after their money and the pope. If I'm not mistaken, the French king even ordered the assassination of a pope because he didn't want to sue the templars. After that one had been knifed, his successor fell in line.

The most important thing about the inquisition was, that it couldn't do anything without the support of the particular ruler. They were protected by his men and those convicted by the inquisition were handed over to the worldly authorities.

Veritas's Avatar Civis

I also have never really had any problem with Inquisitors...

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones too.

Do you remember that Inquisitors in the Med1? If i remember there was a Grand Inquisitors, that killed like 2,000 or more in the town!

I thought most of the templars escaped the fire by admitting to heresy ; they "merely" had to submit to life emprisonment and stuff.

I thought some of the leaders, after admitted heresy, recanted and were burned at the stake for it. There's something of a myth about it, apparently the templar leader "cursed" the french king. However, I'm pretty sure the recanting part is true.

And yes, it was the secular authorities that did the burning. Gilles de Rais, having admitted to satanism and asked the forgiveness of the church, was not convicted by the ecclesiastical court (sp?). Indeed, they advised to let him alive and be brought back in the catholic fold. However, the french secular courts decided otherwise, and he was executed.

[EDIT]Since it was the secular court that decided the punishment, how would a court accept to burn it's own king? It's prepostreous. IMO it would have been much more realistic to have "Inquistor finds a heretic in your court! Do you burn him?" Burning him loses the character and gains papal reputation, the opposite makes you lose reputation up to the point of excommunication. And of course the king himself would be immune.
    Last edited by Xatham; December 09, 2006 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xatham View Post
    thick headed people burning other thick headed people. fun!

Yeah Jacques de Molay told the king the pope and de Nogaret (king's man , artisan of the destruction of the order) to face judgement in the year.
    He also cursed the capetian
    And it happen , the three die , then within the next 14years capetian dynastie collapse and it lead to the 100years war

Well , its still a debate if its sure or not , because you can find record of this but not official one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast