Thread: Age of Charlemagne: Kingdom of Mercia

StePenguin's Avatar Laetus

Default Age of Charlemagne: Kingdom of Mercia

Good evening, everyone!

Welcome to Age of Charlemagne! In this one, we are playing as the Kingdom of Mercia. I've played through Total War: Attila as the Caledonians and Picts, and I wanted to see how differently Mercia played when compared to the latter two. I had played was the Danes before, and it's a continuing campaign, but I did play as Mercia prior to this part, and that... didn't go too well.

Let me know if there is anything in this that I can work on, such as audio and video quality, commentary, strategy and tactics, etc. I've found that I'm not as good at Attila as I am at Shogun 2 or Rome II, so if anyone has suggestions I am fully attentive to such suggestions!

Default Re: Age of Charlemagne: Kingdom of Mercia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woCo7re1GcA

Because I can't figure out how to post a video here!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Hi, StePenguin.

I've never tried to post a video in any form on TWC, so I'm pretty much working this out as I go along. Anything could happen!

I notice that you've been using [video] tags, though, and I know M0rdred uses the [youtube] tags, so that might be worth trying. Let's see...

OK, assuming that works (it looks as if it does on my preview), you need to type the following to link to that particular video:
    [youtube]woCo7re1GcA[/youtube]

To link to a different video, you obviously need to the change the bit in the middle (woCo7re1GcA) to the equivalent characters from the address of the youtube video you want.

If you still can't get that to work, it's possible there's a restriction on posting videos before you've accumulated 25 posts - some things are restricted a bit before you've posted that many times. Since I've never tried to post a video before, I have no idea whether videos are restricted like that. If they are, you can easily accumulate 25 posts by posting on some of the other AARs here. AAR authors generally appreciate feedback, especially if you're telling them you like their work!

(Now I just have to find the time to actually watch your video... )

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Welcome, StePenguin! I haven't played Attila so I cannot advise you on how to play. (You could visit the Strategies & Tactics area of the Attila forum here on TWC, of course. I find the videos of Decimus Maximus Meridius very helpful for learning how to play Rome II, and he does videos using Attila. Sorry if I am telling you things you already know.) Good luck with your Mercia campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post

I notice that you've been using [video] tags, though, and I know M0rdred uses the [youtube] tags, so that might be worth trying. Let's see...

OK, assuming that works (it looks as if it does on my preview), you need to type the following to link to that particular video...
    Thanks for the advice! I was trying to use the [video] tag, and got a bit confused at the result I got. I'll definitely try it the way you described above and see if it works (hopefully it will, seeing as how you were able to get it up).

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Welcome, StePenguin! I haven't played Attila so I cannot advise you on how to play. (You could visit the Strategies & Tactics area of the Attila forum here on TWC, of course. I find the videos of Decimus Maximus Meridius very helpful for learning how to play Rome II, and he does videos using Attila. Sorry if I am telling you things you already know.) Good luck with your Mercia campaign!
    I actually didn't know. I've visited the Strategies & Tactics section, but most of my 'learning' comes from watching Lionheartx10 and HeirofCarthage. I'll definitely look into Decimus Maximus Meridius. And thanks!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Quote Originally Posted by StePenguin View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I was trying to use the [video] tag, and got a bit confused at the result I got. I'll definitely try it the way you described above and see if it works (hopefully it will, seeing as how you were able to get it up).
    You're very welcome. And I'll have my fingers crossed for your next attempt.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 13, 2016 at 05:56 AM.

Here's is the second part to the campaign. Someone messaged me and said that I should concentrate on the Welsh and then the Kingdom of Kent. I was able to neutralize Kent for the moment (probably), so once I'm done with my business in the west, I'll be turning my attention to them. Thanks again for the advice! I actually haven't had much time to watch any of Decimus Maximus Meridius' videos, but I'll have some time on my hands in the next couple of days. Hopefully, I'll get a bit better by the next episode.

We're making some good progress! By the next part, the Welsh should be taken out, and I can concentrate on the Kingdom of Kent! After all, I do need to take London back.

Everything was looking fine! I had destroyed the Welsh, started to eliminate any Welsh remnants, and began fortifying my provinces for my South Eastern campaign. But what you know, the AI hates me, and now pretty much all of Ireland is at war with me. I love Ireland! Why would you betray me like that?!

The battle in the first part of your latest video is exciting, especially when the enemy attack your flank with their heavy cavalry and when the enemy look like they are going to break through in the centre.

I know what you mean! When I saw my centre begin to break, I thought the battle was as good as over! Super happy that it held, though.

Ireland has gotten a taste of my power! Once the Kingdom of Kent gets taken care of, my attention will be turned fully to Ireland! Then, and only then, will Wales get some sort of respite from being the main battle theatre in so far in this series!

So, the Kingdom of Kent wanted to expand it's borders. What was in their way? Me! I crushed them, took back London, and am now looking to erase them from the face of the Earth!!! And I have to keep an eye on Ireland. The Irish. I like Irish people.

In the first battle in your latest video, you seemed to keep a lot of spearmen in reserve, so that you could send them where they were needed. Initially, I was surprised that your general seemed to be some distance from the fighting. I imagine that - like your spearmen - the idea was that, by keeping your general in reserve, you could send your general where the need was greatest. You mentioned liking Irish people - I know what you mean about fighting against people you like!

I think the Kingdom of Kent and the Welsh are gone for good... probably. Now I can turn my attention on strengthening my internal structure before heading over to Ireland!