Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Historia Quod Britonum

Default Re: Historia Quod Britonum

Nice updates! I like the coats of arms, which you included in you last chapter. Maybe it's just me, but coat of arms are always adding this really medieval feeling (put aside, that they are -predominately- from the medieval times )

Thanks SilentKiller! I had a lot of fun designing the Coats of Arms myself, and I will probably include more later. Really liking your "Stories from the North" AAR by the way!

Quorum Praeteritum XII
    Late Spring, 1094
    Yevstafii the Conqueror (also known as the Ruthless, the Hangman, and the Powerful)

Blood was everywhere. Bodies were everywhere. The snowy field was one of death, destruction, and chaos. Thousands of men charged upon each other, swinging axes, swords, and spears in a fierce battle. The Savolaks fought hard, harder then others had. But it seemed that no Pagan could stand up to Yevstafii Rurikovich, Conqueror of the Finnish.

Yevstafii the Conqueror, they would come to call him. Well, that title had already been bestowed upon him, but no one truly understand the extent of what his conquests would come to be. One day, all of Finland would be his. He could feel it. It was his destiny. And he was right.

He was a Russian, a true Russian. He was a Rurikovich, one of the descendants of Rurik the Viking. Rurik had come down from Finland and conquered Russia, and made it his. An entire Dynasty had formed around one man. A powerful Dynasty, at that. But the Rurikoviches had become distant from what they once were. They had feuded between each other, plotted against each other, and betrayed the ties that family was supposed to represent.

Only two Russian realms of any significant size still existed; Kiev and Novgorod-Severesk, both ruled by Rurikoviches. Kiev was ruled by Yevstafii's older realm, an inbred and a coward. When Yevstafii's brother died, he would be the Prince of Kiev. But Yevstafii didn't want to wait for that, he wanted to carve out his own Kingdom.

Rurik had come from Finland into Russia, so Yevstafii would lead the Russians back into Finland. He would restore the Russians to what they once had been. He would push out the Cumans, who had long tormented the Rus. He would oust those who had turned Russia into nothing more then a joke. He would unite the Rus, unite the Fins, perhaps even all of Scandinavia. He would establish one of the biggest empires the world had ever seen. If he didn't, then he would die in the attempt.

Only two years ago, Yevstafii had simply been the Prince of Beloozero, a small Russian realm, perhaps the furthest to the north. The only thing that he Prince Yevstafii had had going for him was that he had controlled the city of Novgorod, the former capital of the now collasped Principality of Novgorod. Almost all of his realm outside of the city was Pagan, and that did not change as he expanded it. But right now, he had only one goal; Conquest.

And that was one thing he was very skilled at.

The Russian Prince looked around at the bloodshed around him. Several dozen of his soldiers were collected around him, many of them finishing off the Savolak warriors that he and his men had defeated. Karzhov Yakovich rode up next to him, both mounted. Yevstafii was covered in Finnish blood, everything from the axe he held at his side to the chain mail he wore was caked in red. He had killed dozens of Savolaks by his own. And his numerous kills were no tale spread throughout the camp by his commanders, as was common throughout Russia and truly all of Europe. He took pride in each Fin that he slaughtered.

He looked to his side as Karzhov rode up next to him, giving him a nod. "What is it?"

"The Savolaks have begun to flee north, although some have remained to fight despite their Chieftan's orders. They will soon be gone. What is our course of action?"

Yevstafii looked out into the snow, letting out a deep breadth. "Rally our men for another assault, and send a messenger to their Chieftan. Tell them that if he wishes to resolve the battle through a duel, I will be willing to meet him here. Whomever loses will completely submit to the other."

Karzhov smiled, impressed by his liege. Yevstafii's men had great respect for him, knowing that he was a warrior. Many warriors from the south had came to Beloozero to serve him. The Russian Warrior nodded, riding off to fulfill the Prince's orders.

The Prince knew what decision the Chieftan would made, especially now that the Russians outnumbered the Savolaks by no less then three thousand. The next day, Yevstafii was standing with an handaxe in one hand and a sword in the other. The Pagan Chieftan was circling around him, wielding a bearded axe. The two were surronded by their own warriors, waiting for one of the two to prevail against the other.

Yevstafii waited for the Pagan to attack, confident that he would slay the Savolak with ease. He had taken no effort to learn the Chieftan's name. What was the point of learning the name of a man who would be dead within moments? And he was right. Only a few moments later, the Pagan leapt forward, swinging his large axe at Yevstafii's head.

The Prince dropped and then step forward, bringing his axe into the Pagan's stomach. Now behind the Savolak, he turned and swung his sword with all of his strength. He smiled as the Chieftan's head fell to the ground, blooded spurting from between his shoulders. Yevstafii grabbed the Chieftan's body and set the corpse under him, in a position to where Yevstafii was soon covered in the Pagan's blood. Perhaps this was a bit much, but the Prince had to ensure that the Savolaks feared him.

Cheers resounded all throughout the crowd, the Russians cheering on their commander. The cheers were a result of both fear and respect. Even some of the Savolaks cheered for Yevstafii, not wanting to start off on the wrong foot of the man who had just beheaded their Chieftan and covered himself in his blood.

But this was only the beginning of Yevstafii's conquests. Soon, all of Finland would be his.
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; May 08, 2016 at 04:00 PM.

Quorum Praeteritum XIII
    Early Winter, 1095

This was wrong, very, very wrong. He couldn't even see the man's face, but Aethelred had been all to willing to take his advice. Aethelred's thoughts were swirling, and he was filled with a mix of joy and utter terror. Could he be capable of doing this? Of course! He liked it. Or did he? Was the other man a Demon? He had appeared in a flash of light. But why would a Demon appear in a flash of light, if they were evil? Maybe he wasn't a demon. Could he be a manifestation of Aethelred's own thoughts? Of course not, he could touch him. But hadn't that odd man, Luke, said something about your mind being able to trick your body? Maybe there was a Demon inside him!

Of course, it did not matter why the other man had convinced Aethelred to do what he was about to do. The Marshal was still going to do it, because it filled him with joy. Joy was something he had not felt in years. As Aethelred debated with himself, the Flickering Man stood in the shadows. Darkness covered his face, a silhouette being all that remained visible. And even that was hard to make out.

The sky was black, with only the stars to light it. Even the moon had hidden away tonight. Only a single light was visible in the room; that of the lamp hanging by the door. But with the Flickering Man facing away from the door, it did not help Aethelred even a single bit in his goal of trying to identify the man who had told him to do this horrible thing.

"No, I can't. I can't do this." said Aethelred.

"Yes, you can. I know you can. I've seen you do it many times before."

"But...I've never done this before! I've not even killed more then half a dozen men in battle, and I'm the Marshal!"

"Exactly. That is why you do this, because you've never done it before. This is your outlet. I've seen that much. Your not helping me, your helping yourself. This boy is of no consequence to me. Neither is he to you."

"Then why would you have me do this to him?" asked Aethelred.

The Flickering Man leaned forward and stared at Aethelred, though Aethelred couldn't much see it. "Do it. Trust me." he said.

Aethelred turned and looked at the man on the ground. He wasn't exactly a boy, but he was in his early twenties. Aethelred had only seen him once, and even that had only been when he was riding through the town that had sprouted up around Castle Leofric. As was apparent from their surrondings, the man was a Stevedore. The one time that Aethelred remembered seeing him, the man had been unloading a caravan that had arrived in the town.

The Flickering Man had knocked the man out before he had drawn Aethelred here with a letter supposedly from his mistress. It seemed to be an act of mercy almost. But Aethelred's thoughts didn't dwelve that far. He knelt over the man and raised his knife, letting out a deep sigh.

He closed his eyes, and then sent the knife into the man's stomach. As soon as he opened his eyes and saw blood, a burst of adrenaline rushed through his body. But not the adrenaline one recieves when frightened, no. The adrenaline the one recieves when extremely joyful.

Aethelred raised the blade and then it broke down, and the Flickering Man watched as the Marshal laughed and stabbed the man repeatedly. He had known it would happen. It always happened. But now, the Marshal would be able to put his ability to some good use.

Chapter VII
    A Child Named Tyranny
    1096 AD - 1108 AD

Ever since Thored's rise to power, England had been an unstable realm. It had also been one that had been submerged in debt as a result of several revolts against the new King. This debt was only deepened when King Thored was coronated, for a second time, in Leowic. While the ceremony wasn't exactly a very extravagant one, it still took a lot of gold to crown a King. Thored also created and gave himself the title Duke of York only a few days after the ceremony, only expanding his prestige in the eyes of Europe.

However, the English Nobles did not view this as a move of prestige, but rather as the beginning of a tyrant. In truth, this had manifested itself in Thored for many years. He had spent most of his life fighting or planning for a fight ever since his Father's death, and this had hardened him. At the age of twenty-six, Thored was one of the most well known Kings in Europe, but he almost didn't want to be.

But Thored was given his wish; peace. For nearly two years, almost nothing happened in England or Northumberland. It was a time of peace, and a time of reflection. Nevertheless, nothing lasts forever.

With England just beginning to recover fully from it's debt, a large amount of gold vanished from it's treasury. It would later be discovered (later meaning several centuries) that Thored's wife, Blanche, had been the one to steal from the treasury along with her lover, the Spy Master of England. A portion of the gold was then sent to Blanche's father to help him bring about stability in his fractured realm, as much of France was up in arms against the King, and the situation was the same in Germany as well.

Thored had the Spy Master blamed and exiled for the robbery, covering up his wife's involvement, though relations between the two were still estranged.

In early September, 1098 AD, a revolt occurred in Salerno, a territory of Thored's in Southern Italy which he had inherited from William the Usurper. No less then seven-hundred people rose up in arms against their English overlords, defeating the two-hundred men stationed in the city. Within a matter of months, Salerno was surrendered to the rebels and became an independently governed County of Salerno.

While Thored had been discussing the possibility of an expedition to take back Salerno, this was soon completely disregarded when Guillaume Hastings, the new Duke of Normandie, assassinated Egbert Leofricson, Thored's youngest son, in late 1099 AD. The King was almost immediately at the head of an army of nearly 10,000 marching south to face Guillaume.

Thored arrived in January of 1100 AD and quickly defeated Guillaume before sacking the city of Arques. Many were suprised by the ferociousness with which Thored had responded to Guillaume's actions, although many understood, as the Duke had killed Thored's youngest son. In late March, Thored chased down Duke Guillaume and had most of the Norman leader's imprisoned or executed before forcing Guillaume to surrender all titles to Thored. The King was now also Duke of Normandy and Count of Arques.

While marching home, it was said that Thored took a lover in the form of Amburga, the daughter of the Count of Chester. There is much credibility to this claim, as there is evidence that Amburga spent much time in Leowic, although it was officially a diplomatic endeavor, and Thored makes reference to a lover in some of his personal documents.

Three years later, Thored and Blanche gave birth to another son named Harold. This was followed closed by the coming of age of Aethelswyth, and the murder of Spy Master Robert by Marshal Aethelred, who was hanged for his crime. Castle Leofric was also improved upon, with it's walls and defences being expanded in late 1104. Several months after the beginning of the improvements to Castle Leofric, Ealdred (Thored's oldest son) came of age. However, Ealdred decided to depart to the Eastern Roman Empire in 1106 to serve as a member of the Varangian Guard, an experience which would prove worthwhile.

The improvements to Castle Leofric were finished in 1107 AD. Another notable event of this time was the crowning of Yevstafii Rurikovich as King of Finland. Yevstafii was well known in Europe, as he had launched a brutal campaign and conquered all of Pagan Finland. This began the end of Paganism in Scandinavia and the region of Prussia, though it would be several more decades before the natives actually accepted Christianity. King Yevstafii was known to be a very violent, often brutal man. However, Yevstafii and Thored would soon form very close ties. It is believed that Thored attended Yevstafii's coronation, although the reasons are generally unknown.

Soon upon returning, however, Thored marched against Ralph de Gael, the Count of Norfolk, ending the period of seven years of peace in England. While Ralph de Gael was a vassal of Thored, and not a particularly disloyal one, Thored declared was on him for the purpose of seizing his titles after Ralph refused to surrender them. This began the Norman Purge, which is sometimes believed to have started when Guillaume had Egbert killed, or even farther before when the War of the Witan occurred.

While marching to face Ralph de Gael, the Count of Lincoln agreed to surrender his titles to Thored in fear of being subject to the same fate that would soon meet Count de Gael. This caused much of the English Nobles to secretly prepare men in the case of an outbreak of a civil war. By Decemember, 1107 AD, Thored had defeated Ralph's army and taken Norfolk, and Ralph de Gael surrendered his titles to King Thored.

After returning home, Thored ordered the same improvements that had been done in Leowic to begin in Durham, which would make Northumbreland more heavily fortified then almost another other demense in Europe. While this took a large amount of funds, England having recovered from it's debt several years prior, Thored was more then able to accumulate what was required. King Thored also crowned himself Duke of Norfolk in early January, 1108 AD, being both Count of Norfolk and Count of Lincoln.

Another long peace was expected to begin, but this was not what occurred. Having reunited and restabilized their realm, now the Scots wanted revenge...
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; December 05, 2016 at 04:50 PM.

Quorum Praeterititum XIV
    Late Fall, 1102 AD

The cold, winter winds could already be felt early in the mornings and late at night. It would not be but a few weeks before winter hit England. Of course, Luke had advised Thored on the matter. He wasn't sure if his advice had been taken, but he felt that he had done his job. A small smile came across the old man's face. He had been here for over 30 years now, and he knew that soon, he would fade away. No one in this timeline would know his name, but that was okay.

He had never planned on accomplishing all he needed to do in his own lifetime. That's why he had a son, and therefore a legacy. As the years went on, the Tempest Family would amass power. They would amass influence. Of course, none of it would matter if they did not survive at least until the 21st Century, but that was no longer Luke's concern, rather it was his son's.

As the old man stood, only about a hundred feet from Leowic, he peacefully reflected on his past. Only he would ever truly know what he had done. Many would have peaces of the puzzle, but only he would see it in it's completion.

Luke turned as he heard footsteps behind him, glancing at the man approaching him. "Aethelred?" asked Luke.

The Marshal looked up at Luke and smiled. "Aye." He kept walking forward, without a pause.

Luke raised an eyebrow as Aethelred set his hand on his sword, and then it was over before he could ever respond. The Marshal smashed Luke's head against the tree behind him, sending him to the ground in severe pain. Aethelred was then on top of him, his blade held to Luke's neck.

"What are you doing?" exclaimed Luke.

"Something we should've done long ago; talk." came a second voice. Luke tried to look around to find the source of the voice, but found only a blade coming closer to his neck.

"Up." ordered the second voice, and Aethelred stood and lifted Luke to his feet before resting him against the tree. Luke could now see the man's face clearly now. It was one far to recognizable, despite the many years that had passed. The man in front of him hadn't even aged a single day.

"You...how?" asked Luke, astonished.

The Flickering Man knelt in front of Luke Tempest and smiled. "You did a lot of damage, I'll give you that. But it wasn't enough."

"You're here to stop me, I presume?" asked Luke.

"No," said the Flickering Man, "my goals have progressed beyond that now. I am still here to end you though. Perhaps, before I do, I should thank you. Your actions have given me...abilities. Things that we did not even imagine before. I no longer even need a machine."

Luke sighed. "We did not think of everything, I suppose."

"Indeed, but no one ever does."

There was a moment of silence between the two. Luke glanced over at Aethelred, who was now standing out of earshot, keeping watch. "How did you convince him to do what you wanted?"

"I can see into the future, though only what the future would look like without interference from myself. Three years from now, he was going to release all the rage he has spent years building up. He would've come very close to killing Thored. I simply decided to use that rage to my advantage."

The old man released a chuckle. "Understandable. You said you don't need a machine. What do you mean by that?"

The Flickering Man smiled. "Exactly what you think I mean."

"That's impressive."

"Indeed. I only developed the ability a few years ago."

Luke nodded. "What of our world? What happened there?"

"Exactly what you said would happen," said the Flickering Man, "they began to destroy themselves."

"I was hoping that I wouldn't be right." sighed Luke.

"Well, my leaving didn't help matters to much. Weapons had already been drawn over the Project when I left."

The old man stared off into the distance, in deep thought. His mind was a flurry of thought, ideas, and reflections. All these years, he had been so sure of what he had done, but now he began to wonder. "So, what will you do when you've finished here?"

"I'll probably stay for a while longer, to ensure that your death doesn't cause to many complications and make sure matters are in check. Afterwards, though, I will leave." answered the Flickering Man.

"Back to our timeline?" asked Luke, now returning his gaze to his captor.

"No. When I first discovered my ability to timejump on my own, I saw someone. A woman, whom I believe may have my same powers. I saw her only for a moment, but she spoke to me. She told me that she saw me too, and to find her. So, that is what I'll do."

"Why?"

The Flickering Man shrugged. "Perhaps she will be able to help me to develop my abilities. I can only jump a few decades, but from what I could see, she was surronded by Hoplites."

"That is impressive." said Luke, though the only answer he recieved was a nod.

Both fell into deep thought; Luke reflecting on his actions, and the Flickering Man planning his future. All was quiet, but the sun would rise soon. The Flickering Man knew that whatever he was going to do, he had to do it soon. It was thus that he drew his weapon from within his cloak, and loaded it.

Luke smiled. "I haven't seen one of those in decades. How many cartridges do you have remaining?"

The Flickering Man didn't even look up when he answered Luke. "Not even a whole one."

"Ah. You came lightly armed." said Luke, glancing at the weapon his old friend wielded.

The Flickering Man gave a nod, one that Luke could barely even see. He looked at his weapon and considered how to kill Luke. While using his weapon would be more effective, and would cause a wave of fear, it would also give him more problems to solve before he could leave. If he told Aethelred to do it, then no one would really know who killed Luke.

But perhaps Luke should choose. "Who do you want to kill you, me or him?"

The old man was slightly taken aback by the question, but it made sense. A final gesture of kindness, if one could percieve it that way. He gave much thought to the manner, before deciding. "Him. I came to this time, let me die by it."

"Aethelred!" shouted the Flickering Man, putting away his weapon. The Marshal turned and began to walk towards the two, a smile plastered across his face.

"Good bye." said Luke.

The Flickering Man let out a sigh. "Good bye."

With a nod from the Flickering Man, Marshal Aethelred raised his sword. The blade hung in the air for a minute as Luke was bent over, and then it came swooping down. As Luke's corpse collapsed, his head now separated from his body, Aethelred raised his sword and looked at it, blood streaming down the blade.

It was done.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Poor Luke! I wonder what the Flickering Man's new abilities are, whether he will be able to find the woman he is looking for and whether she will help him.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

A huge amount has happened in this AAR since I was last here (sorry about that), but I'm really enjoying these recent chapters. I like the little bits from lots of different times, and the introduction of the mysterious woman - and also the fact that we get to see characters continue from one chapter to another and see how they affect history.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Poor Luke! I wonder what the Flickering Man's new abilities are, whether he will be able to find the woman he is looking for and whether she will help him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    A huge amount has happened in this AAR since I was last here (sorry about that), but I'm really enjoying these recent chapters. I like the little bits from lots of different times, and the introduction of the mysterious woman - and also the fact that we get to see characters continue from one chapter to another and see how they affect history.
    Thanks for the comments! They give me a good little motivational booster

The Flickering Man's new abilities will indeed be awesome, and you guys will also get an explanation for them soon, but of course, you know that that will only lead to further questions Whether he will be able to complete his goal using those abilities, however, is an entirely different question. We will also soon see Yevstafii the Conqueror again.

It's cool to see I successfully pulled off my goal of making this AAR a very mysterious one. While this story will indeed unfold, and one day all it's cards will be laid bare, that day is very far off from now. I will also say that there will be some dark twists, and don't expect a character to live forever (even if they are immortal)!

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the AAR! More will be revealed later on the topic of the mysterious woman, and we will learn more about the fate of the Tempests in this new timeline, so stayed tuned!

Quorum Praeterium XV
    Late Spring, 1103 AD

This was not an unusual situation for the two men standing in the dark streets of Leowic. Aethelred stood over a local trader, one whom had insulted the Flickering Man for looking like a Norman early that day. The Flickering Man stood behind Aethelred, slightly pleased at the revenge he was about to take.

But unlike most times, Aethelred's dagger hung in the air. By now, the two would usually already be dragging off the body to be consumed in one of the animal pins on the outskirts of the city that sprouted up around Castle Leofric. The Flickering Man had noticed this unusual activity as he impatiently waited for Aethelred to kill the man.

"What is it?" asked the Flickering Man.

Aethelred shook his head. "I...I can't do it."

"What do you mean? You've been doing this for years, of course you can." said the Flickering Man with a tone of annoyance.

"But," said Aethelred, "I don't think I ever really considered what I was doing. This, this is wrong. What if we are caught? They are still looking for Luke's murderer."

"I assure you, with the amount of gold we have amassed, we ward off Thored's investigators. We've done it for years, and we will continue to do so."

The merchant on the ground was terrified, but he saw a chance to save his own life and wasn't going to let it pass by. "Perhaps he's right? You could just let me go, I won't tell anyone. I swear!"

The Flickering Man shot the man an annoyed glance, and the merchant cowered. He then returned his gaze to the Marshal. "Kill him and let's be done with this."

"No. No, I won't do it. I'm done!" said Aethelred before throwing down his dagger.

As Aethelred walked off, the Flickering Man disappeared, leaving the Merchant shocked. He then reappeared in front of Aethelred and drew a dagger, pressing it to Aethelred's neck. "Turn around, pick up your dagger, and kill that man. Do it now, or I will kill you."

The Marshal gave a slow nod before turning and picking up the dagger. He approached the Merchant, and whispered, "I'm sorry."

The Flickering Man watched as the Marshal brought his dagger down and ended the merchant's life. Aethelred was absent of the joy that he had had before when he killed. Without even looking into the future to confirm his suspicions, the Flickering Man knew he needed to do something before Aethelred decided to tell the world of their ploys.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

It looks as if things are getting complicated for the Flickering Man...

(Will we find out why the Flickering Man isn't just doing all the killing himself (and making it look as if Aethelred did it)?)

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    It looks as if things are getting complicated for the Flickering Man...

(Will we find out why the Flickering Man isn't just doing all the killing himself (and making it look as if Aethelred did it)?)
    Indeed, that will be something that you guys will figure out later on in the story.

Good update! I look forward to finding out what happens next - and what is motivating the Flickering Man.

Alwyn - Thanks! Though, his motivations will be hinted at, they won't be truly revealed until much later. Don't worry, they will be known before the end of Act I.
    Quorum Praeteritum XVI

Early Fall, 1103 AD

This day had been coming for a very long time. A significant crowd had gathered, and even the King was watching, surronded by guards. Most were having a hard time contemplating what had been revealed to them; that a man of such high regard was able to commit such atrocious acts.

Aethelred, Marshal of England, held back tears as his head laid on a block. As his crimes were read out to the crowd, nearly 30 murders, he disputed with himself over who had caused his current predicament; Man or God. With each new name shouted, the suprised gasps of the crowd lowered in volume. 26 had been announced so far, and by now most were simply waiting for the list to be completed, not sincerely interested in the other names, but rather taken by a lust to see blood shed.

The Executioner turned to his blade as the hunched man ended his long list, no one able to see his face under the hood he wore. Many had preferred that Aethelred be more brutally executed, but tradition required that he be beheaded, and with a sword.

Many eyes watched as the Executioner walked towards Aethelred, a long sword held in his hands. Aethelred felt the urge to plea for his life, but he knew he was not worthy. For all the people he had killed, he deserved this. At least he would have a slightly dignified death.

The Flickering Man watched closely as these events transpired. He remembered watching the face of the Chief Justiciar as the Shire Reeve carefully recounted Aethelred's deeds to him, although, of course, with parts of the story missing. Only the murders were revealed, not the true reasons behind them. The Flickering Man knew that those had to be revealed, to prevent it all from being revealed by the foolishness of the Marshal. He had much more important things to do, he couldn't have let Aethelred cost him several more years. Even though he could control time, the Flickering Man didn't find himself willing, or able, to waste it. He needed to find the woman he had seen.

As he raised his sword above his head, the Executioner smiled. Aethelred looked up into the face of his soon to be killer, he could only barely make it out. But what he did make out were the words the Executioner spoke moments before the blade swooped down and took the Marshal's life. "You should have done your job."

The crowd cheered as Aethelred's head fell to the ground, blood pouring from in between his shoulders. The Executioner looked up into the crowd, but his gaze centered on one individual for a moment. Soon, the Executioner would disappear. Possibly to Scotland, or maybe Ireland. With his newfound fortune, he would be able to live out the rest of his days quite luxuriously.

The Flickering Man turned, and walked threw the crowd, his face a cold and emotionless one. He knew that his tale had only just begun.

Quorum Praeterium XVII
    Early Fall, 1106 AD

Yevstafii Rurikovich, Conqueror of the Fins

As the doors opened, Yevstafii lifted his head. Four guards entered, followed by a well dressed, yet perhaps not as well bathed, woman. As the woman bowed, a translator stepped into the room behind her. "Who are you?"

The woman looked to her translator, and he chuckled. "She is Wulfthryth Leofricson, Daughter to Morcar Leofricson and Sister to Thored Leofricson, King of England. I am her translator, Kristoffer Ludvigsen. She cannot speak the language of the Rus."

Yevstafii nodded, and sat up a little bit, intrigued. He knew well the name of Thored Leofricson, as he had spent much time studying the other rulers in Europe, should he need that information one day. "I see. How did you come to work for her?"

Kristoffer was slightly suprised at the question. "Um, me? Well, she hired me when she left Vastergotland. She told me that she needed someone who could speak Russian, and that I would be well compensated. I didn't know she wanted me to talk to you though. I only learned that a short time before we entered this room."

"Where did you learn Russian, and why did you become a translator?" asked the Prince curiously.

Wulfthryth raised an eyebrow at her translator, and Kristoffer gave a nervous smile. "Well, you see there were a lot of Russians who migrated into the Baltic since Novgorod-Seversk's wars of expansion began. My Father actually married a Russian woman, and she taught me Russian, so I put the skill to use when I grew older. I make a fair amount of coin translating, thought it's becoming less common now that the migrants are establishing roots in their new homes. If I may say though, I do believe my lady is getting, shall we say, annoyed maybe?"

Prince Yevstafii nodded and looked to Wulfthryth. "I suppose we should get to the matter at hand then. Ask her why she is here."

The translator nodded, slightly relieved as he turned to Wulfthryth. The Prince watched closely as the two conversed, before the translator turned to him again. "She says that she has information which may interest you, but she wants something in return."

"What does she want?" asked Yevstafii.

Kristoffer turned, and the two conversed again before he turned back to the Prince. "She says that she wants you to support her in a bid for her brother's throne. She says that she's already amassed some Scottish and French support, and that the Scots will march on England when Yevstafii's ships land on their shores."

"This must be some very important information, if she expects me to challenge the King of England. Even if I wanted, it will take a considerable effort to keep my realm under control when I and most of my army is gone. Tell her that I will need to know what she knows before I agree to aid her."

As Kristoffer and Wulfthryth talked again, Yevstafii waited patiently. It took several minutes for Wulfthryth to tell Kristoffer her information. The translator's face was slightly paled as he turned to Yevstafii. "She says that several years ago, Morcar discovered the existence of a Demon that is lurking threw Northumberland, one that they know as the Flickering Man. She says that only a small number of people know about the Flickering Man, but Thored knows of him, and exiled her to Denmark primarily to keep her from revealing what she knows about the Flickering Man to English Court."

Yevstafii raised a confused eyebrow. "Wouldn't he keep her close if he wanted to make sure she didn't say anything?"

"She says that he made a pact with the Duke she was married to, that he would keep a very close eye on her. She escaped with the help of the Castle Guards, whom were paid off with funds by her supporters in Scotland and France, whom she had been in contact with by way of letter."

"So," asked Yevstafii, "do her other supporters know of this secret?"

"No. She does not trust to tell anyone something so important by letter, should the information come to Thored's ears before their plan is ready."

Yevstafii nodded, and he looked at Wulfthryth, considering his next move. If he aided this movement by putting Wulfthryth on the throne, he would have support of the Kingdom of England, and her other sympathizers. Though he would not have the full support of England, as England would probably fracture. Things were tense enough with a Saxon on the throne, much less with a Saxon Woman on it. It would also be a considerable drain on his resources, considering the rebels that had been consistenly rising up against him, and the fact that there will still hostile pagan tribes to the north and the east that would most likely take advantage of his absence. It was likely that he would return to a Finland again ruled by tribes.

With an almost unnoticable nod, Yevstafii's guards moved swiftly and seized Wulfthryth. She struggled against them and shouted in her Saxon language, but to no avail. Kristoffer looked around in panic, waiting to be seized also. "What shall we do with him?" asked one of the guards, as several more entered the room.

The Prince looked over Kristoffer and sighed. "I have a plan for Wulfthryth, but I can't allow him to spread word of these events. Kill him."

Kristoffer yelled as he heard the Prince order his death, and ran for the door. He was overwhelmed by the guards, and as the others held him down, one of them brought his blade down to end the Dane's life. Wulfthryth was then silenced and dragged to the Castle's Dungeon.

As Wulfthryth was dragged from the room, Yevstafii looked to one of his guards. "Send word to Thored, and tell him I have his sister."

Quorum Praeteritum XVIII
    Early Fall, 1106 AD

King Thored looked down at his three-year old son, Harold. He was already thinking up plans for his child. Roles for him to play in this grand game that he played. The game of history. Of Kings and Queens, of Armies and Knights, and of Sons and Daughters.

He was still angry over the matter of his son leaving to be a Varangian. By the time Ealdred returned, he would likely not even recognize his own court. His life was also jeopardized as a Varangian, as he was in the role of a guardian, not a commander. Though it was undeniable that he would likely receive some experience both in managing a Kingdom through of the Emperor of the Greeks and experience in combat by way of his position and role.

He turned around as he heard footsteps behind him, seeing a young man enter the room. "My lord, a letter has arrived."

Thored turned to the young man. "From whom?" he asked as he headed for a seat.

"The letter comes from Beloozero, from their Prince."

As the King took a seat, he raised an eyebrow. "Hm. Read it to me."

The man nodded, and looked down to the letter as he spread it out in front of him, and began to recite it.

" To King Thored of England,

I have something that will assuredly interest you. At the time of the writing of this letter, your sister, Wulfthryth Leofricson, arrived in my realm several days ago. She told me a secret, one that your Father learned, and has now descended to you. It is quite an interesting secret, but one that I will keep unto myself. But she also revealed something else to me, which you don't know. There are men who have plotted against you. Men in Scotland, and in France. She wanted me to join her in her plot, but I denied her. At the current moment, she lies in my Dungeons, awaiting her fate. But I have an offer for you. If you agree to attend my coronation, I will give her to you to do with what you will. And it is my belief that when if you come, we can negotiate something else that will be much more valuable to both me and you in the years to come. A daughter to a son, and a son to a daughter. The Coronation has already been planned for late June next year, as I have delayed it to account for the time it will take for you to travel to Finland, and I am sure that you will come.

With respect,
    Prince Yevstafii of Beloozero "

Thored nodded and looked up at the man. "Send word to the Marshal. I want ships readied, enough to carry both me and my Saxon Guard, and food to feed us."
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; December 05, 2016 at 04:54 PM.

Quorum Praeteritum XIX
    Late Summer, 1107 AD

Two Kings stood in a massive hall, where only hours before a feast had been held. King Thored walked alongside the table that made up most of the room, meant for twenty people to sit at. Yevstafii Rurikovich sat alone at the very end of the table, farthest from the door. The table had been cleared, and the people gone for hours, but Yevstafii still sat.

"Do you ever imagine what your life would be like, had you not been ambitious? Had you not had a goal? I do. By now, my name would probably have already been forgotten." said Yevstafii. Thored paused for a moment, suprised that Yevstafii could speak his language. He gave a subtle nod to his translator, who walked out of the room.

"You can speak my language." observed Thored as he took a seat near the other King.

Yevstafii chuckled. "Indeed. After Wulfthryth came to me, I thought it might be a worthy endeavor. But, you have yet to answer my question."

The Saxon gave thought to the question before answering. "I suppose that I did not have much of a choice. My Father did much for me, but everything aligned itself to complete his plan. When my Uncle decided to challenge King William, years of loyalty and caution on my Father's part paid off. Perhaps it was fate."

"Fate, of course. I think that we both now that fate did not have much to do with it. For some reason, there is a being of a power higher then ours who wants to see you ascend to something greater, just as there is one who seeks to allow me to ascend."

King Thored smiled, but in truth this was only a concealment of the wave of confusion that had hit him. There was another one? There couldn't be. Perhaps Yevstafii was just playing games with him. "What do you believe them to be?" said Thored, playing the Rus's game, but desperate to learn more.

"I believe them to be Gods. There is no other thing they can be."

"Gods? There is only one God."

Yevstafii smiled. "No. There are many. Odin, Thor, Heimdall. For some reason, they have chosen to speak to me through Sága, Goddess of Wisdom."

"You reference Norse Deities as though you believe in them, and yet you hang your own people by dozens for believing in them. I believe that the word for that is a hypocrite."

"Again, you are mistaken. I hang only the Pagans which seek to cause trouble in my realm. I am surronded by Christians, and Christians uphold my rule, and thus I deal with them. Sága has told me that the Gods except this denial of them, if only so that I can accomplish what they mean for me to accomplish on this Earth. And I believe in the Christian God, but I do not believe him superior to all others."

King Thored gave a short nod. "I suppose that that make some sense. While I disagree with you on the matter of superiority, or perhaps even the existence of other Gods, I am not a God, and thus I cannot know."

Yevstafii leaned forward. "But you can. That is what I am telling you. There is a God who roams your realm, ensuring that you achieve greatness. Find him, and he will tell you everything."

Silence. Save for the commotion outside the room, there was silence. Both Kings waited for the other to speak, realizing that they had went very far off topic. Thored was the one to break the silence. "Perhaps. But I did not travel from England to Finland to discuss the manner of religion. I came to discuss my sister, and your proposed marriage alliance."

"Yes, I understand. While I may have, shall we say, controversial religious views, I still have an appreciation for politics, and a skill for them. We both know that your sister lies in a dungeon beneath my Castle. But I have no intent or reason to keep her, save for as a bargaining chip. I personally do not believe you want her alive either. So, I will give her to you, to do with what you will. But, I of course, also have terms, and my terms are a marriage. One of your daughters to my heir, Danilo, and one of my daughters to your heir, Ealdred. This will bind our families, in a way that I believe can only benefit our nations. And the striking of a marriage alliance so secure between us will most likely completely dissuade any supporters of Wulfthryth's cause that remain."

"A bind of that sort is rare, and perhaps even constricting. But, perhaps it is worth it. I don't expect you to rush to every war I fight, nor do I expect you to do the same. I accept your terms, but with some of my own. Not only will you hand over Wulfthryth, tell me what she has told you of the Flickering Man, and swear not to spread word of him, but I also want you to tell me everything you know about this Sága."

Yevstafii chuckled. He had been wondering when Thored would turn the conservation back to her. "I suppose that I can agree to that."

After wine was brought into the room, Yevstafii the Conqueror recited his tales of the Goddess of Wisdom, Sága, to Thored. His story began with what was known of her by myth and religion, but soon turned to his own experiences with the woman. Several times the conservation morphed into a philosophical one, but always returned to the same topic. It was nearly two hours before the two Kings exited the hall, and were encircled by guards as soon as they did. The pair and their guards then walked through the Castle, headed for it's dungeons.

After entering the prison, they were lead to Wulfthryth's cell. Yevstafii stood to the side, watching as the Saxon King looked at his sister. She glared at Thored with spiteful eyes, but also a sense of relief. "How have you been, sister?"

"You know exactly how I've been; left in a dungeon for nearly a year waiting for you to arrive. I don't suppose that my husband has sent any word of concern out for me. The only use I am to him is a name and a womb." said Wulfthryth.

"He cares for you, but you may be somewhat right. But look at me, I'm a King and I deal with a spouse who despises me. You betrayed me twice, so it would be my opinion that you deserve whatever torments you are met with."

With that, she stood and gripped the bars to the cell. "I betrayed you? NO! You betrayed your own flesh and blood to serve a Norman King! You're not a Saxon, and you never will be." she said. As she finished speaking, Wulfthryth leaned forward and spat in Thored's face.

Thored calmly sighed and wiped his face, but his jaw slid forward, correcting his underbite. Most at his Court knew that this was often a sign of his anger. As his arm returned to his side, he sighed. Then, quicker then Wulfthryth could dodge, his arms came up and he grabbed her hair, slamming her face into the bars. As she stumbled back, bleeding from her nose, Thored shook his head.

"Father also said that patience is the key to everything. I had patience, and now I am a King, while you sit in a cell and Edwin is dead. He also said that it is not wise to taunt a King, but that is seemingly another lesson you missed."

Wulfthryth grunted as she stood again, refusing to speak. Thored turned and nodded to his Saxon Guards, who opened the cell and drug her out of it to a ship outside the Castle. As she was drug out of the room, Thored turned to Yevstafii. "Why did you choose not to support her?"

Yevstafii smiled. "I have great respect for you, as I did for your Father. You have a goal, an intent to save your people from a foreign invader, but are wise enough to have patience. A nation in transformation will never survive a transformation absent of intelligence, just as intelligence will never survive absent of transformation. I also knew that if I became set against you, the result would be two Gods set upon each other. I will help you redeem your people, if you will help me redeem mine. Perhaps one day our sons and our grandsons and our great-grandsons will look upon this day, and remember it as the start of an Empire."

Thored chuckled. "If what you say is true, and there are Gods that have chosen to aid our nations, then I have no doubt that they will."

Alright, you got a special treat: 3 posts in one day. Your welcome

I primarily did this because the first two were very short, but also because I know that I tend to drag things out, perhaps longer then I should. I also updated the 2nd post to contain information about Posting Rates, Chapter Types, and the rules of gameplay. Also, I wanted to ask you guys question; do you like my current style of the Table of Contents, where it is broken up by Chapter Type, or would you prefer a single, long Table of Contents to simplify things?

Just let me know in the thread, or send me a personal message, and I'll tally up the votes on 1st of June. And thanks for the comments, they really provide a motivational boost. And, I know it's been a while, so here you go...

Who is this Mysterious Woman that the Flickering Man has seen? What will be the fate of the Tempests, now that Luke is dead? Where is his son? Just how much had the mysterious woman intervened with Yevstafii? Will Thored and Yevstafii live up to their promise of a marriage alliance, and how will it come to benefit both nations? With Wulfthryth given to Thored, what will be her fate? And will her supporters just fall away now? Find out in...Historia Quod Britonum!

Good updates, and even three at once^^! I like that you mentioned Sága, one of the more uknown but relatively important gods from norse mythology, I'd reckon (which I absolutely love! And the mythology isn't restricted to the Edda only, but also the many sagas[I always wondered is the word 'saga' has anything to do with the godess] give us a deep look into the scandinavian religion!). And I love the dialogues you write. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Good updates, and even three at once^^! I like that you mentioned Sága, one of the more uknown but relatively important gods from norse mythology, I'd reckon (which I absolutely love! And the mythology isn't restricted to the Edda only, but also the many sagas[I always wondered is the word 'saga' has anything to do with the godess] give us a deep look into the scandinavian religion!). And I love the dialogues you write. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks! There is a lot to explore in Yevstafii's storyline, and his Nordic beliefs will definitely come into place now and in later generations. I also just generally have an interest for mythology, especially Norse mythology. But religion is also interesting in the effects that it has upon history, such as wars that occur because of religions. Think of it; the Roman Empire might now have collapsed were it not for the rise of Christianity!

Also, I'll just leave a little fun fact here. Maybe character names mean more then you know!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Aiden Braun's last name is a reference to the fact that the part of these AAR now known as Futurum was initially going to concern Nazi Time Travel experiments, but I changed it to the future because I would have more creative opportunities, and wouldn't have to tip toe around the Holocaust. (Eva "Braun" was Hitler's wife, though for less then a week).

Political intrigue, secrets , dangerous plots and Norse gods - there's a lot going on here. I wonder if this is the start of an Empire.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast