Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Historia Quod Britonum

Default Re: Historia Quod Britonum

Thank you for your feedback, Alwyn! Rumor is definitely a very large aspect of the Énglisc Court right now, which can be both a tool and a hindrance. Perhaps some of the rumors about Ealdred might be true...

To discuss another topic, if anyone remembers the brief teaser I did earlier on about Ulon and the War of Eternality and enjoyed it you'll be happy to know I have started a creative writing piece named "Keziah" (the link is in my signature and in the title I just wrote). It will follow a man named Keziah and his story, and takes place in Lady Carline's original timeline of which the War of Eternality teaser showed a bit. This is part of my first attempt at forming a larger universe from this AAR, which I already have a good bit of lore written about.

Also, I plan to post the next chapter soon, and then in the chapter after that we will hear again from Thomas Parsons and the illustrious Lady Carline!

Quorum Praeteritum XLV
    Late Fall, 1116 AD

Aelfhun's sleep was deep, but he found himself awoken with quickness as the sun began to rise over Leowic. His eyes came open and he looked around the room, but he could feel that something was odd. He soon realized, as he attempted to move, that he could not. Neither his limbs nor his mouth could move, only his eyes still under his control.

Terror gripped him as a sense of powerlessness and queerness washed over him. He looked throughout the room, and his eyes quickly found a mysterious entity standing in the corner. It's figure was like that of a man, yet it had no resemblance to a man past that, for it was like a shadow having taken form, it's blackness seemingly holding depths unknowable.

Though most would have panicked upon this sight, Aelfhun instead relaxed, for he had seen such figures in his youth, most especially during times of turmoil. It made sense, than, that Aelfhun would see the entity again on this day, for it was undeniable that turmoil had indeed come. He had once feared the coming of them because of the future they brought, but he had come to instead respect them as warnings and heralding signs to be taken into consideration.

The thing came closer towards him, and he attempted to call out to it as Mære, for such was the Énglisc name for it's kind. Aelfhun began to concentrate his will into a single purpose, and attempted to force himself free from his body, if only briefly, so he might converse with the Mære without the muffling of the material reality. His logical mind suggested extreme caution, but yet the experiences of his younger self and of his Father suggested to his emotional mind, and indeed to his forethinking mind as well, that he needed to converse with the the Mære to learn the precise nature of it's warning.

For ever so slight of a moment, it seemed he was free in spirit from body, and he attempted to shout out to the thing and say, "Mære, reveal to me your forewarning!", yet his words remained unspoken in thought or speech, and he could only continue to watch as the thing came to stand beside him. It looked at him for a moment with unwavering eyes, and then raised it's hands and pushed down against Aelfhun's chest, causing him a great and growing deal of pain.

Aelfhun began to lose his breath, and then found he could not breathe. Fear now enveloping him, he tried to squirm and to push back against the Mære, but it only continued to stare at him with fierce and fiery eyes. The thing seemed not to care as Aelfhun fought it, only pressing his hands further down upon his chest. Aelfhun felt as though his lungs were now entirely devoid of air, and he attempted to gasp for breath but he could not open his mouth even slightly. His thoughts turned to death, and though he had wondered before if such things could do murder he was at that moment sure of it, for it seemed to him a great possibility that he would die in that bed, empty of breath and of will.

The Mære nonchalantly and mysteriously released Aelfhun just as he came upon the edge of distorted vision, and began a slow walk towards the door, yet it's eyes seemed to come to the back of it's head and glare still at Aelfhun. It paused at the doorway for a moment and watched for a moment as Aelfhun continued to struggle to be free of his paralysis, and then it stepped into the darkness that was the room outside the door.

It was at that moment that Aelfhun found himself free and able to move again, and he did so with glee as if to rejoice at the very skill of movement, it having been taken from him only a moment ago. He gasped for air and was overjoyed when it began to flow freely through him again. He then lifted himself up and began to dress for the waking day, and after he was finished he took a seat at the edge of his bed and contemplated the night's happenings, for his dreams and the Mære seemed grim and dour forebodings, which he took with seriousness and fear.

In the day which followed he spent nearly the whole of it within the residence of Wilberht, who departed at mid-day to return to the court. Egelbert and Aelfhun, for the most part, avoided each other's presence, and instead Aelfhun played no less than five different games of chess with Alfwold, who was one amongst his three companions. He thought to ask Alfwold if he had experienced such encounters as Aelfhun had the night before, yet he chose not to broach the subject, rather continuing on as if nothing had happened.

While Aelfhun gamed and thought, his companion Odalric became absent from the household shortly after Wilberht's departure, deployed on a task set upon him by Aelfhun. Odalric sought out Eudes, companion to Godefroy, and told him that Aelfhun wanted for a meeting with Godefroy. The meeting was agreed to, and the next night Aelfhun departed in secret to meet with Godefroy in his own place of residence, which was a location unknown by the King or his men. Indeed, Ealdred had ordered Godefroy to be followed with spies when he had come to Leowic, but those who were not successfully bribed were silently killed by the guiding hand of Crimthann Ó Briain.

The place was of small size and it's floor was patted dirt rather then wood, but it nevertheless was very warm and the beds looked comfortable as they had much padding and blankets on them. Odalric, who was Aelfhun's only companion in this brief adventure, introduced his lord as they entered, and Eudes greeted them with kind words and lead Aelfhun to a seat padded with blankets from one of the beds.

"Cest le Saisne dunt aveir." Eudes said to Godefroy; This is the Saxon I spoke of. His tongue was Romanz, known also as Old French. Eudes spoke with his face turned towards Godefroy, yet his eyes were looking to Aelfhun, who took the foreign words as probe of intelligence, or perhaps a challenge of sorts.

"Cest cei ke jo pensais." answered Godefroy; I had assumed as much. Godefroy's voice was casual, much more so at least then Eudes'.. He sighed when he saw where Eudes eyes were set, for he thought it foolish to assume Aelfhun would not know the Romanz Tongue. He wondered if perhaps Eudes had entirely forgotten who Aelfhun was, as Eudes had been present during many talks between Godefroy and Deorwine Dinne, who spoke the tongue fluently, his location, practice, and fealty all requiring that he was capable of speaking Romanz just as it would be required of Aelfhun.

"Jo sui veraiement Aelfhun, Vostre Majesté le Rei, et jo crains ke jo ne vos dise uns greve nouvele." said Aelfhun; I am indeed Aelfhun, Your Majesty the King, and I fear I must tell you a grave news. His voice carried a hint of pride with it. Eudes turned to walk behind his liege, and while his back was turned he gave a mocking smirk to the retainer who sat in the corner, mimicing the Retainer's own smile.

"Why do you think that?" Godefroy asked, giving no mind to Eudes anymore, but rather fully concentrating on Aelfhun. He was careful to angle himself forward and look into Aelfhun's eyes, so as to appear more friendly.

Aelfhun hesitated with his words for a moment, unsure of them. "You are a good friend of my Father, yes?"

"I am indeed."

"Then you know of his...prophecies?" Aelfhun said, his voice still uneasy. He preferred to keep quiet about the abilities of himself and of his Father, as, despite the tales of prophets and of magic in the Biblia, he found that few believed him when he spoke of them, even priests and holy men.

Godefroy squinted for a moment before nodding his head in affirmation, "Indeed, I do, and I trust them. Why do you ask?"

"Then know that I also have such visions. A recent one has shown me birds, the creatures of Wilberht's heraldry, clashing with a storm, the object of my family name, and giving ships unto a black lion. But, past that as well, I have...well, the language and manner of speech of both Wilberht and Egelbert betray a certain sense of betrayal and uneasiness where your effort is concerned."

Godefroy considered for a moment the words of Aelfhun, and took them carefully in consideration. Meanwhile, Crimthann sat in the corner and smiled at the mention of visions and prophecies, himself known for them. It seemed Godefroy has chosen to surround himself with prophets. "Another of my factions ranks has also revealed such suspicions to me, and I admit that I also am weary of Wilberht. In my few conversations with him, his speech seems...perhaps too harsh against Ealdred, so he might either be an loyalist in extremes or a deceiver too condemning to be truthful."

"Then what do you seek to do about him?" Aelfhun asked.

"Wilberht's position is one of great knowledge of our plots, yet little use to them, and I fear that this makes him much more of a threat as a possible deceiver then a use as possible loyalist. Weighing the odds, I would say his death might serve us more then his life." Godefroy said, his words graceful and confident, even as he spoke of murder.

"How might I be expected to kill him then?"

"Poisoning. I know of no plans by Ealdred to host a royal feast, so I suspect you may find yourself eating with Wilberht upon the ending of this fasting period."

"Indeed, the Hordere has told me as much."

"Good. Tell your man Odalric to come to the marketplace on the morrow, so he might be given the poisons you will need."

"Might I receive them now?"

Godefroy shook his head. "No. I say to procure them tomorrow because it will take as long for me to attain them myself."

Aelfhun nodded, and then thanked Godefroy for his counsel and aid. After departing, Aelfhun's conscience debated the murder of Wilberht, yet he came upon the decision that the murder was to be done for his legacy, which he, like his Father, cared much for, as his dynastic legacy was a supernatural one, and though he feared the Dinne legacy in it's capacities for odd and queer events, he was devoted to it and it's continuation in future generations.

As Godefroy had suggested, Odalric came to the marketplace the next day, and there he received poisons, and it was with those poisons that the meals of Wilberht and of Egelbert were tainted by his hand when the fasting period came to an end and a meal was to be had. Unknown to Aelfhun, so also was the food of Eanwin, wife to Wilberht, tainted, for Odalric had a story in mind by which he might explain the whole matter of deaths.

As Aelfhun sat and ate slowly, he was surprised by the speed in which Egelbert consumed his meal, though to him it made some sense, for Egelbert was a friend to Brithnoth, and Brithnoth, like Deorwine, dwelled much in pleasures of the flesh and of the pleasures of hunting, and as such Aelfhun suspected Egelbert would enjoy such pleasures also. Wilberht, however, was slow in his consummation, chewing his foods well.

The conversation held during the meal was brief and had an unnatural tension to it, even more than that of previous days, and much of the tension came from Aelfhun, who was wary of his plot's efficiency. Soon, however, a murderous smile came across his face as Wilberht began to choke, and Egelbert was immediately wary and alarmed. Aelfhun then turned to Egelbert, but was shocked when the sounds of choking he heard came from another; Eanwin.

Aelfhun's face paled, and soon Egelbert leaped from his chair and seized a sword, for Aelfhun's expressions betrayed his foul plot. "Aelfhun! You have done this, haven't you?" shouted Egelbert as he came towards him seeking flesh and vengeance. Alfwold leaped from his chair to grapple the man, and Egelbert battered the unarmed man with his fist before tearing open Alfwold's throat in a single slash of metal.

By then, Aelfhun, Leofgeat, and Odalric had all sprung from their chairs, and Odalric had drawn a blade of his own to attack Egelbert. Blades rung loud as Odalric and Egelbert sparred, Odalric finding Egelbert to be a suprisingly capable opponent, and Aelfhun came towards Wilberht, who had, alarmingly, ceased to choke and had begun to recover from his state, the poison failing in it's task. Aelfhun had his own sword drawn and ready to taste blood.

Leofgeat, however, was made immobile by his conscience, which weighed heavy upon him as he saw Eanwin dying. He rushed to save her, having not agreed to the killing of women, and Aelfhun threw him from Eanwin and against the table, unpurposefully allowing Wilberht to seize the shield in the corner of the room. Aelfhun lunged at his host with blade in hand, but his first blow was blocked by shield and Wilberht then bashed Aelfhun's ribs.

Odalric and Egelbert still sparred, both skilled in manners of blades, and Egelbert was able to gash Odalric's shoulder. Seeing this Aelfhun shouted to Leofgeat, "If you will not kill the woman, then slay Egelbert lest we all be slaughtered!" Thus Leofgeat came at Egelbert, and the Warriorfool found himself briefly overwhelmed by the two opponents.

Aelfhun, in his clash, found himself able to best Wilberht by seizing the shield and pulling Wilberht, who was weakened by the poison, towards the table and throwing him against it. Aelfhun then brought his blade down and cut deep into Wilberht's arm at the elbow, and he then lifted his blade again, but found himself on the receiving end of another blade as Eanwin plunged a knife into his back. Aelfhun cried out in agony and Eanwin held a knife to his throat and shouted aloud, "Stop your fighting, or I swear by God that I shall lay Aelfhun dead before you!"

After a few moments, the clanging of swords stopped, and Egelbert collapsed against a wall, Odalric having dealt him a deep wound and several lesser scratches. Odalric was also himself wounded, and though he would survive his injuries he would be regarded as deformed, for Egelbert's blade had struck his cheek and his nose and cut both. Leofgeat, a timid man, was mostly unhurt, but now was despised by his companions for his weakness.

Soon men of Ealdreds' employ arrived at the residence and imprisoned Aelfhun and brought him to the castle in broad daylight, for the meal they had eaten was that which is eaten at midday. Leofgeat and Odalric were also brought to the castle to be imprisoned, and Egelbert, Wilberht, and Eanwin came also to the castle, though for the purposes of being treated by the court physician.

The incident shocked the court, and Godefroy cursed the foolishness of Aelfhun, though it was not his foolishness which spoiled the plot, but rather it was Odalric's, for in his seeking to poison three, he did not know that he used poison meant only for one, and thus the affect was not as great as needed. In the days to come, Aelfhun was treated for his injuries, as though despite being an attempted murderer he was still treated well because of his noble birth, and so also was Odalric and Leofgeat treated.

Of Wilberht and his household, Egelbert would die of his injuries as they became infected, and Eanwin would survive though she would become slow of mind by way of damage to the brain, a thing misunderstood by the men who treated her. Wilberht survived his wounds, though he would permanently be left without his right limb, and thus lamed.

Soon after his recovery Wilberht came to the presence of Ealdred and he was nervous and worried for what he must tell. Seeing no other choice, he had decided to tell Ealdred of his crimes and hope to be forgiven.

"My King, I must first begin by informing you that I am formerly of affiliation to Godefroy de Montbrai, but I must explain that I was threatened by the vile man Deorwine Dinne, father to my would-be assassin, for he threatened to slay my aunt, and also he promised the end of my house and my lands when Godefroy came should I betray him. And thus, as you can see, I had little choice in the matter, but I can tell you of what I know, and beg forgiveness from you."

Ealdred stood still for a moment, processing the news. An anger boiling up inside of him near uncontrollable, He spoke with his rage barely contained. "You might have forgiveness from me, Wilberht, but in return I expect a great wealth of information on the plots of Godefroy de Montbrai and his associates."

"Of course, my King." answered Wilberht, his voice timid and frightened.

Over the next half-hour, Wilberht told all that he knew, and even told many half-truths. He explained that Deorwine was a great ally to Godefroy, for Godefroy planned to use Deorwine's great fleet of ships and his control of the Five Ports to move his army of Burgende from the continent to Ænglalond to support his loyalists, and Wilberht then told Ealdred of those who he knew were supporters of Godefroy, though indeed he knew few. When finally he had given all truths he knew and had given all the half-truths he could make believable, he told a final tale which concerned the loyalties of Godfrith of Wiltún.

Though Wilberht's tale was based upon suspicions, he wound a great and fake narrative of the treachery of Godfrith, for, as has been described earlier, he held contempt for Godfrith, who was a man of high pride who saw Wilberht was little more then an aide, or at least this is how Wilberht perceived things in his mind, for he was a man easily insulted and crossed, though there was still much truth to the matter.

When Wilberht finished his telling, Ealdred ordered that he remain in his castle chambers under guard until he decided what would be done with him, and he went then to seek counsel from Alexios Komnenos and his mother, Blanche Capet, and alsofrom
    Deorwald.

A great game had now begun, one that would decide the future of Ænglalond, and the very first pieces had been moved. For now, Ealdred seemed to have an upper-hand, but as he walked through the castle halls he reminded himself to think of the truth; he had only a foreknowledge of betrayals, which while good was not the true advantage he needed.

Godefroy was an opponent of much power and worthy of great respect, and though intelligence had it's place, Ealdred needed men and food and blades to bring down the rebellion and keep his throne. He also needed to make an example of Godefroy, lest more rebellions come after him, and it was in this thought that his mind dwelled even more then in the actual defeating of Godefroy, which he had been assured he was foolish in doing.

Though he was advised to act in caution, he had assured himself that he would not lose his crown, for it was his by right of inheritance, and he was sure that God would not let him be cast from his throne if he was righteous and true.

"Let them come!", he proclaimed to himself, "And let them see a King fighting with the might of God!"

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I enjoyed Alefhun's encounter with the mysterious Mære, the poison plot and the action scene which follows (I'm surprised that the character whose throat was torn open survived, I guess he got lucky.) Ealdred's reflections on the 'true advantage' he needs makes me want to know how he will pursue the things which he needs, and whether he will get them. The final line is a suitably rousing ending for an exciting chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I enjoyed Alefhun's encounter with the mysterious Mære, the poison plot and the action scene which follows (I'm surprised that the character whose throat was torn open survived, I guess he got lucky.) Ealdred's reflections on the 'true advantage' he needs makes me want to know how he will pursue the things which he needs, and whether he will get them. The final line is a suitably rousing ending for an exciting chapter.
    Thanks for the feedback, Alwyn! I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter, and there is definitely some foreshadowing in the end for Ealdred's future, and he will have an interesting future. As for the character who's throat was torn open, I think you may have gotten a bit mixed up which is likely due to me making their names really similar by accident; Aelfhun, who had a knife held to his throat by Eanwin, did not get his throat cut, rather that was Alfwold, a companion to Aelfhun, who isn't mentioned again after he is killed by Egelbert.

The story is definitely going to get exciting as we continue, and my next post will kick off Thomas Parsons and Lady Carline's story and explore some of the larger factions and entities in the HQB Universe.

Bellum Aeternus II
    Late Spring, 302 BC

"I have a name for you." The sudden proclamation came with a sound of glee in the woman's voice as if she had just solved a great riddle.

Thomas turned to see Lady Carline standing several steps away. He had known she was close before she had yet to speak. He found he could feel her very consciousness and the power within her whenever she was near. He was both in fear and awe of her, for he knew that even if he were to flee through time itself, she would be capable of finding and killing him with ease.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Didymos. It means twin."

"And why have you named me thus?"

Lady Carline smiled, proud of her decision and the way in which she came about it. "Thomas has it's origins in the word 'tauma', which is the Aramaic word for twin. Also, Thomas the Apostle was named Didymos in Greek and, well...never mind. It is for these reasons that I thought it appropriate you be named as Didymos."

"But why have you chosen to give me this name? Is my name not appropriate?"

"I gave it to you so you might fit in amongst my empire, and because I liked it."

Thomas shook his head, "My very nature ensures I shall never fit in."

"The Greek Gods were named as Zeus and Apollo, not as A'as and Sugaar. Even Gods share names with their peoples."

"Yet Zeus and Apollo were not real Gods. Real Gods should be feared, real Gods should stand out." Thomas responded, expressing his words with his left hand and putting his thumb against his middle finger as he spoke, an odd habit of his.

"In the words of Lovecraft, 'the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown', and we should do all we can to become known, so we might be loved by our peoples. Love is the origin of fear, the core of it, and men will do much more for love then fear."

"How, might I ask, do you figure love to be fear's origin?"

Carline smiled. "If a man has no love for his life, he will not be afraid for it. If a man has no love for his family, he will not be concerned for them."

"Yet is it not much easier to be feared than loved? Is it not more efficient?"

Carline considered the thought for a moment before answering, enticed by the debate. She had hoped to cause such debates, so she might turn Thomas from his ways. "It is quicker, yes, but not more efficient. If you hold a knife to a man's throat, he will obey you, but he won't shield you from arrows."

"We don't need to be shielded."

"Have you heard none of what I've said? We can die, Thomas. I know this personally. We're still tied to our bodies, and thus we can be killed. You must learn to respect the mix that we are, of material body and freed mind."

"I do respect that, most especially the power that mix holds."

"When you left your timeline, you broke free from space and from time, but you didn't break free from human nature, Thomas. Your conceitedness should be more than evidence of that. You also did not break from death."

Thomas Parsons stood and walked to Lady Carline. "You are right, I am conceited. I am prideful. If I was a King you'd call me a tyrant. Have you given thought to why, Carline? Because I was a man once. I remember what it was like, and I also remember what it was like to see my wife die. I remember the consequences that came about because politicians were too afraid to do what was required to settle the conflicts they faced. They were too afraid to be called tyrants, too afraid to act, too afraid to make hard decisions. They were too afraid to be anything but perfect human beings so as to leave some sort of legacy in their name. They wanted to be remembered and have their names written in history, and they let forces they could not control be unleashed because their voters wanted to wait until the last second to make sure their perfect little world wasn't disturbed.”

Lady Carline sighed, "And my world died because there were too many tyrants. I understand how you feel. I understand your rationale. I do, but we have to at the very least try and be better than they were. There must be a sense of balance, because if the scales tip too far either way chaos will be the result."

"But we can afford to the tip the scales further. We can see what's coming, and be forewarned by it. We don’t have to be better, Carline, just do a better job.”

“The ruler makes the land.” she remarked quaintly.

"Only if he wishes too. I do not wish to control their culture, only ensure they do not repeat the same mistakes. I wish to play a game of politics, and politics have no relation to morals."

"The morality of the 21st centuries, both of ours, killed the 21st centuries. We have to guide them directly towards a better future with culture, philosophy, and morality. "

"Yeah. I've seen that tried. The long game depends on a lot of variables, and can mess up a lot easier then a sudden and violent change. The wise man does at once what the fool does finally."

Lady Carline delayed her response for a moment, leaning down to take a gulp of wine. Though she still thought Thomas a fool she was glad they had had his conversation, as Thomas's ideas had begun to make sense to her. "People can turn back from a tyrant's policies, but cultural change is permanent."

"People can also forget their hate for a tyrant in just as short a time."

"No. Caligula was a tyrant and he was remembered for a millenium and longer."

"Perhaps you should study Caligula. He was remembered as a tyrant because men long after him with extreme biases wanted a Roman villain."

"Would you reach so far?"

"I would."

"Then know I do this not as an evil act, but a teaching one."

With suddenness, Lady Carline appeared behind Thomas and produced a knife from her cloaks. She then plunged the knife into her stomach and cut it open. He cried out briefly in pain, and then put great effort into calming his mind, and he began to mend his stomach together with the power of his mind.

"Does that make you wish to serve me more?"

As Thomas Parsons stood, his stomach covered in blood but it's rip repaired, he pursed and licked his lips, his own odd expression of anger. "It gives me awe and respect of you, and respect is the key to a true rule."

Lady Carline chuckled, "You don't give up, do you?"

"Not often." Thomas answered.

"This time you might. You must."

Thomas grunted, and then walked over to were he had first been sitting and took up his book again. Lady Carline paced the room, partially regretting the decision to gut Thomas. "If you wish for an English work I have the books of the author Lovecraft in my library." she said, attempting to lift the mood.

Thomas looked up from his book with a high raised eyebrow. "Where? And why?"

Lady Carline raised her finger to the far corner of the library, "I have a great admirance for the works of HP Lovecraft, and once I had his works written into new books. Isn't that a bit of irony? A novel so strange in lore read by multiple timelines?"

Thomas shut his book, a history of this alternate time, and began to stand and walk to where the Lovecraftian novels were stored. "I must admit to an interest in these novels. I read them in the more...morbid days of my human life."

"That's good, enjoy them. Anyways, the matter I came initially to speak to you about, other then your new name, before we were sidetracked, is that you need to come to the Stadium of Delphi later in the day. There are others who want to know more about you."

Thomas turned his head in curiosity towards Carline, his hand still running over the Lovecraftian novels. "Who?"

"The Théeios Básteroi, which means the Divine Bastards. They were mothered by Earth and fathered by Man's creators."

Thomas was stunned for a moment, especially at the ease in which Carline gave him this information. "Care to elaborate?" he asked, his interest piqued.

"Well, they were meant as Guardians, originally. They were supposed to protect and guide the Earth subtly. For some reason, which they all refuse to tell of, their relationship with their Fathers was sundered. They were allowed to dwell still on the Earth, and even still to the now manipulate humankind, but they were never openly allowed to control humankind." answered Carline, her tone still unsettlingly calm.

"Who are their Fathers? Are they known in mythology by any? How many are there?" Thomas inquired.

Lady Carline sighed, and then brought Thomas to a pair of seats, saying "If I am to tell you of them, then I should explain it well, I suppose. Sit."

When they were sat, she began to speak again at length. "For context, I should first tell you about the Forms. Even the Théeios Básteroi themselves know very little of them, except that they are thought to be the first entities who existed, as they exist outside of the material Universe, and are made up entirely of psychological energy. Truly, their state of existence is difficult to comprehend or even speculate upon. Socrates theorized that they were not beings but rather abstract ideas, and his student Xenophon has suggested that the Forms are not entirely outside of the material Universe but rather are the core of it, and were shaped by beings even higher then they are."

"I have heard of Socrates' ideas on the topic of Divinity and the Forms, but where did you find this information of Xenophon? And have you disregarded Plato entirely?" Thomas asked.

"Oh, yes. Both Socrates and Xenophon are still alive in this timeline. They existed when I first arrived during the Peloponnesian War, and I have enjoyed their philosophical debates much, which has lead me to preserve their health with my abilities in the same way we can preserve our own healths. As for Plato, by way of divergences and butterflies in time, he...er...he died."

"By what hand?"

"Mine." Lady Carline answered, a hint of shame upon her voice.

"What brought that on?"

"I once made a great war on the city of Athênai, and it is from Athênai that one of the most prominent of the Théeios Básteroi come from; Athenaía, from whom the city took it's name in ancient days. When my invasions forced the Théeios Básteroi to the forefront of human affairs again, Plato aligned himself with Athenaía, and she gave him a bit of power after seeing my weakness for philosophers. Eventually, this forced my hand in killing him."

"Um...alright."

Lady Carline nodded. "Yeah. It's a lengthier story then that, but that's the core of it. Anyways, where was I?"

"You had just told me about Socrates and Xenophon's thoughts on the Forms." Thomas answered.

"Ah, yes. Under the Forms, there are a group of entities known as the Black Kings, who sit on black thrones and can spread their purposes across time, yet are still restricted by it. They are part of the material Universe, and can be accurately called the Lords of it. Indeed, you will often find the color black referencing material bound things in the context of the supernatural, almost a form of divine symbolism. Now, you know of time dilation, yes?"

"Yes."

"Good. It is through that science that they are able to control time while within it's boundaries, as their black thrones are more accurately known as Black Holes by men of science. By way of powerful thought and minds they are capable of moving throughout their black holes and thus be able to manipulate previous times, as time slows with greater gravity and black holes are perhaps the greatest type of gravity wells. Thus at the surface of their black thrones time moves normally, but the further in the more previous time becomes for them. There are thousands of Black Kings spread across the Universe, and they have a loose hierachy almost like the Feudal system of vassalisation. The Black Kings, as I said, control most, if not all, of the universe, and seeded human life upon the Earth with the purpose of creating a new material race. And, like I said before, they created the Théeios Básteroi to guard their new race. Relations were sundered between the Black Kings and their bastard children many thousands of years ago, and while the Black Kings still have much influence upon the Earth, Humankind is now considered it's master, and the Théeios Básteroi are Humanities' guides. Me and you and the others like us who are broken free from time and space, however, are seen as a threat to the balance, for we possess an ability known only to be had by the Forms themselves, and thus we must tread carefully so we are not extinguished."

Thomas stared off into nothing and tilted his head, trying to process the information.

"Too much at once?" Carline asked.

"A bit, perhaps." Thomas answered.

"I thought so, but I'm not very good at explaining things in small steps."

Thomas nodded, "I noticed. So, these...entities, the Black Kings and the Théeios Básteroi, do they want us dead, or are they just considering wanting us dead?"

"A mix. They are not all of uniform mind, they do vary. Among the Black Kings it is that typically the more invested they were in our creation, the more considerate they are. As for the Théeios Básteroi, it varies from timeline to timeline. In this one, mine, they are a bit fearful, and if the opportunity presented itself to kill me, I do not think that they would have to consider it very long, but I have proven myself more then capable of dealing with them. I have killed quite a few of them, which indeed is part of the reason some seek to kill me. A loose peace is had, though, mainly held together by one amongst them they call the Athánatos, which means the Undying or the Immortal. It might seem an odd naming when speaking of beings who have lived through the whole of human history, but from what I have gathered he was brought back from the far future by a Black King, and he is the leader amongst the Théeios Básteroi."

"But the future is now broken into many times by us, so shouldn't the question be asked of what future he comes from?"

"Yes, that is a question I've pondered upon, alongside the question of what nature he might have been before becoming the Athánatos, but I have no answers."

"Perhaps, then, we might find them together." Thomas suggested with a smile. Lady Carline paused for a moment, somewhat taken aback by his suddenly kind demeanor. She wondered if perhaps he saw the knowledge she had bestowed upon him as a gift. She had told him more of as a necessity, but if he chose to see it as a gift she could think of no reason to dispute him.

"Perhaps we can, Thomas, perhaps we can."
    Last edited by Rabbit55821; September 22, 2017 at 05:55 PM.

Good chapter! (Sorry for getting the characters' names mixed up previously.)

Bellum Aeternus IV
    Late Spring, 302 BC

"Mántis! Mántis!"

Thomas turned to see who called, and saw a pudgy old man with thick white hair approaching, his beard stretching down nearly to his stomach and a concerned look upon his face. Carline as well turned to see who approached, and smiled when she saw the man. She leaned over to Thomas and said, "This man is Socrates, and my Greek name, like your own is to be Didymos, is Mántis."

She then turned to Socrates, and said, "Hello! What is it?"

"I simply want you to remind you, Mántis, and also you, Didymos, that friendship is the core of community, and we must grow a community, both divine and ordinary, if we are to come into this new age peacefully. I would wish that neither of you seek to antagonize any when you stand in the Theatre and speak."

"I will do well to remember you words, friend." Carline answered, and then looked to Thomas, "And I advise you to remember them as well, Didymos."

Thomas nodded, and then extended a hand in greeting to Socrates. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"And you as well." Socrates answered, taking Thomas's hand.

Socrates then turned and walked to the Theatre on his own. Carline stood still for a moment, contemplating his advisement. "Thomas, much rests upon the words you say in this Theatre, including the peace of my empire. While we are more powerful than the Théeios Básteroi individually, it would take great effort to best them if they were united, so be respectful of them."

"As you wish." Thomas responded, and he then began to walk into the Theatre. Carline turned for a moment and looked upon the city of Delphi stretching out from the valley below out to the ships arriving and going in the Ionian sea, the white buildings giving way to the lush green of the groves. The Theatre sat on the mountainside shining like a crown. And indeed it was a high crown of philosophy and knowledge, a place where a better world could be built, or rather it’s fundament. She turned and began to follow behind Thomas. She hoped she had not chosen wrong in choosing to bring him into the wider world, for though he could be a great help there was also a chance he could become exactly what she feared.

As the pair stepped into the Theatre, they saw there a great crowd assembled, and most proudly among them stood the Théeios Básteroi themselves, who were assembled in a semi-circle at the feet of the many rows of seats. Carline lead Thomas to the center of the Theatre which was a white marble platform upon which all of the many seated men and women looked. He could feel all their eyes upon him; the eyes of philosophers, rulers, politicians, and divine beings alike all waiting to see what this newcomer would say.

Leaning over to the ear of Thomas, Carline whispered, "Don't worry too much; think of it as a interview." She then turned to the crowd and declared for all of them to hear, "This is Didymos, my new companion. He also is a son of Aion, which is to say a son and master of time."

One man in particular stepped out from amongst the Théeios Básteroi. He wore lengthy black garbs and had a grim appearance, and his head was entirely devoid of hair. He was accompanied closely by a woman who contrasted him in image, wearing a white robe and with hair that came to her hips. She wore also a decorative and finely crafted laurel wreath shaped from the gold of the city of Athênai.

The black garbed man did not pay much mind to the appearance of Thomas, who had been dressed in red and in grey, and rather he gave his attention to the crowd. "Didymos, I indeed recognize you as a son of mine as I do Mántis, and I am glad now that I might reveal you to the world as brother to my daughter and son to me." he proclaimed, his voice bearing a strong sense of command.

It was obvious the crowd of was overjoyed at hearing these words, but Thomas was puzzled as to why the grim man before him announced him a son and Carline a daughter. He would have thought to ask Carline, but he knew that with the many eyes set upon him, any movement he made would be noticed. Instead he stretched out for a brief moment with his mind to Carline, and expressed the emotion of confusion, and an odd voice came upon his mind which was not spoken aloud and yet was also not his, and it said, "Wait for a moment, Thomas, so the masses might be pleased, and you will come to understand soon."

The voice was not Carline's, but it was evident she had heard as well, as her face became awash with a subtle spite at the speaker.

"I too recognize you as a son to my husband, Didymos, for though you were not born of my womb, and neither was Mántis, I still look upon you as a son and her as a daughter, and am glad my husband may reveal you." spoke the woman beside Aion, and Thomas recognized her voice as the one he had just heard within his mind.

"And we are gladdened of your proclamations, Father Aion and wife of my Father, Athenaía, that we siblings might now stand high before the people of the remade and divine Hellás."

There was a brief silence in the Theatre, as Aion ran the thought through his mind of how to continue towards where the conversation needed to go. He then decided that no great leading on was needed, and rathered that the crowds would be astonished enough by what had been said so far.

"Thomas, now we shall speak independent of the masses of Hellás as the divine that we are." Aion said. As the words came to the ears of Thomas, he was confused, as though they were words completely unknown to him he could understand their meaning perfectly. Yet this was not his greatest concern, as he felt the consciousness of Aion pressed against his metaphysically, and it seemed to Thomas almost that the walls of his mind had been breached and a translator had stepped through the collapsed stones.

"Alright." Thomas answered. He felt as if he were in an alien environment, and he spoke only briefly so as to test if his own words would come into this odd and strange tongue, and indeed they did. It was an odd sensation to communicate in this tongue; almost as if his mouth was not his own, but rather his mind had laid out a script of what should be said and his mouth reassembled it into foreign words.

"Thomas Parsons, he who comes hence from a twice separated time, know that we are the Théeios Básteroi. We are the founders of the first cities, we are the guides of civilization, we are the Children of the Black Kings and of the Earth, we are the Gods of your religions, and we are foremost the Guardians of Humankind, who have existed since when the first man became conscious and will exist until the day that the last one dies!" declared the Théeios Básteroi in an odd unison declaration.

"Another show, of course." came the incorporeal voice to Thomas' ears.

"But you speak in an unnatural tongue. Has a show not little purpose if it’s audience cannot comprehend it?" answered Thomas, his voice aloud.

"Yes, but imagine the amazement one might have at a congregation of Gods chanting in unison in a foreign and incomprehensible tongue. Nevertheless, now the show shall end, and you shall tell us of you, and we might tell you some of ourselves." the woman answered, this time with her voice rather than by touch of mind.

"She is Athenaía, Thomas, and the black robed man, who has been named as Aion, is the Athánatos. He, like many of the Théeios Básteroi before you, has taken many names for the cultures he has roamed amongst, but he has been given the most of all, and with good reason. Some names of particular relevance are Ra and Osiris and Zeús and Sugaar." whispered Carline, her voice now taking incorporeal form as well. Thomas allowed his thoughts briefly to speculate upon how he might use such abilities himself.

The Théeios Básteroi stood in wait for Thomas to speak, and when he realized he had to begin the conversation, he did so with uneasiness; "I am, as you have said, Thomas Parsons, who is known also as the Flickering Man and as Didymos. I come not with intent for war nor with aggression, but rather to learn beside Carline so we might deal in higher issues."

Thomas saw a brief frown from Carline as soon as he said "higher issues", and Thomas soon realized what he had said.

"What higher issues might those be than the preservation and guiding of this Earth?" asked another of the Théeios Básteroi, who Carline identified in a whisper as Belos and as Marduk, from whom the civilizations of the east had been born.

"I do not mean to place myself nor my purposes above you, wise Básteroi, but rather I mean to say that simply...um...well that I and Carline's concerns are of temporal nature."

"Then you would turn a blind eye to this world?" pressured Belos.

"No, that is not what I mean to say."

"Then what do you mean to say Thomas? Explain to us here, before this congregation of Gods, what you believe in the reference of your power and how it should be exercised? Do you think the man should be forgotten for the God, and that we should be forgotten for you?" demanded another man who Carline identified as Perthein, known also as Perseus, who had come to replace the more ancient Cetus as ruler of Argos and was son of Athenaía.

Carline shot an aside look to Thomas, and though she spoke no words he collected a great sense of concern from her, which she was careful to direct towards him lest the others might feel her soul touching upon his. "I believe that none should be forgotten upon the rise, for once I was a Man as well, and...er, Man...Humankind is those who are to be served and guided by us, not be servants to us."

Athenaía stepped forward closer towards Thomas and spoke defiantly, "We know you lie in this, Thomas. Do not forget who you speak to."

Thomas simply ceased to speak for a moment, and collected himself. "Fine, then know this; I do indeed believe that, upon the final word, Humankind is what matters most, but I also believe that we should not lower ourselves to be servants of lessers, for I have seen what occurs when the lesser Mankind is allowed to lead itself; they accomplish little, they fight for little of great consequence, and they pay little mind to the longer term. Thus I believe that, though Humankind should be allowed it's freedoms on the greater scale, on occasion their matters require an intervention by us who are older, wiser, and more powerful than they could ever hope to be, and that intervention should be quick and violent, for though the individual does matter in times of peace, in times of strife the individual must be forgotten for the community so that the strife might sooner end. There, that is what I believe, with no great and lengthy exposition of character or war of words to entertain you."

The Athánatos smiled, "That is an understandable belief, Thomas, and it is so that you are greater than us in power, but do not believe that that is the end of your exposition. Indeed, all the words said within this Theatre shall not be an appropriate tell of your character to us so we might decide our opinions on you, but rather that will come in the actions you commit later and our observances of them. We shall also not reveal even a fraction of our own truths in this Theatre. In the end, our assembly here is to have a show for the intrigued citizen of Hellás, and to see how much you might neglect your pride to stroke our sizable and oldened egos. So do not become angered, as it would seem you might now be, but rather engage us in a more civilized tone of voice and choice of words, and we also will be civilized and not come against you rapidly with accusations. It shall be so."

Again, the Theatre was contemplatively quiet. From the downward averted gazes of the Básteroi and indeed the tinge of embarrassment he himself felt, Thomas now knew personally the effects of the will and words of the Athánatos. "As you wish, Athánatos."

Athánatos turned to the other Basteroi, "Ask what you might."

"From whence do you come, Thomas?" Belos asked, his words quick.

"I am from the timeline from which all others were born, and am then from the world created by Luke Tempest’s travels."

Athánatos grimaced, but spoke no words. Instead it was Belos who spoke again, "So have you abandoned both?"

"No, I have not."

"But you are not there?"

Thomas shot a panicked look to Carline, who extended only a pair of words in answer; "A little." she answered, her mouth unmoving.

"My first world has, as I have been told, been consumed by war, and I find that in the timeline of Tempest there is no immediate need of me."

"Who told you?" questioned Belos, but Athenaía gave another question, which was, "Are the Théeios Básteroi not present in the timeline of this Tempest, for surely we would have sought you out?"

"I do not know of the presence or non presence of you divines in that time, for I did not know to expect you. I would think you present there, however." answered Thomas.

Athenaía pondered for a moment on the words, and Belos took advantage of the silence. "But surely you must have met some divine who taught you of your world's fate, if you did not learn it yourself. Perhaps Mántis told you?"

"It was indeed her." Thomas said, trying to excuse the question with which he saw little importance, but as he spoke his words he saw Belos throw a mischievous and malevolent glance to Carline, and he realized she must not have told them what she had learned.

"Then does the Mántis have any more information she might want to reveal in this Theatre, for it would seem that surely she has come upon a new knowledge and yet not had the time to tell us?" Belos responded, his tone sarcastic.

Lady Carline took several steps towards theThéeios Básteroi, especially towards Belos. "I have indeed come upon a new wealth of knowledge, though it has been a slow acquisition over the course of my absence from this time. Much of it is irrelevant to you, however."

"Indeed, I believe Mántis speaks the truth, for what relevance is Didymos's home time to us?" said the Athánatos.

"I am glad you find my reasons agreeable, Athánatos." Carline thanked.

"Perhaps that time might be irrelevant to us, but surely that is not all you learned of?" Belos questioned further.

Carline sighed, "Belos, I have learned nothing you do not know, or that is relevant to you. This time is early, but Tempest's timeline and my own share more than a thousand years more history that I sought to know, but none of it is to come to pass here."

"Indeed, your words are wise, but perhaps we should be aware of the history that did pass so we might be prepared for the future. More specifically, anything you have learned of the interventions of the Black Kings."

"I was under the thought that we were here to speak of Didymos." Carline answered.

"We are, but how much more could we truly learn of him through discussion?" Belos questioned, to the agreement of several of the other Théeios Básteroi, though Athenaía shook her head in disagreement, also with the support of several. The decision, it seemed, had come down to the Athánatos, and he had already stated his opinion upon the matter. As Athenaía could sense what the Athánatos would soon say, she said nothing.

"I think Belos's words are right. Let us dismiss Didymos so we might receive a history lesson from Mántis." the Athánatos said.

"Perhaps we might dismiss this meeting entirely then, so I can collect a history for you in a book? It would be more understandable and comprehensible, rather than myself rambling like a professor without notes."

"No. To write a book would give you opportunity to forge the details. Ramble the truth to us." Belos said.

"Fine, but let Didymos depart. He knows little, and to learn too much at once would baffle him."

"Then let him be baffled."

"No. He will leave." Carline stated firmly, turning for confirmation to Thomas.

Thomas gave a curt nod. "I've always preferred reading."

Carline nodded and then looked out to the Théeios Básteroi, and they agreed to allow Thomas to depart. He wanted to remain, but with all the information Carline had laid upon him, he was sure she would tell him what he needed to know later. Thomas turned to walk, but then thought to instead teleport by the power of his mind. When he thought upon the moment later, he was unsure if he had made the decision to impress the crowd of Men or the Théeios Básteroi. Perhaps it was both.

He first touched upon his memories of the library of Delphi, recalling the loose details awarded to him by his brain, and then he began to transcend that and reached out with his consciousness across the city and siezed the room of books with a chimerical hand. At that moment, his body stood within the theatre, but his mind was stretched throughout every stone and marble building between the two locations as he reached out.

When the moment of accomplishment came that he could feel the room’s very essence, down to the scent of it’s air and the feeling of it’s cold floor, he began to envisage his body within it. The Theatre then vanished behind him, becoming more and more distant, and he transcended space as he came into the room. All turned transparent around him, and as he began to regain his body he was bombarded by many great colors and unreal sensations like an infant emerging from an eldritch womb, and then at last he stood next to a table whereupon a thick book sat, and he sat and began to read it’s contents.

Caught up with you to.Great writing.However i find the names hard to remember.great story otherwise.Huh................its no longer a story,its a fantastic novel.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Caught up with you to.Great writing.However i find the names hard to remember.great story otherwise.Huh................its no longer a story,its a fantastic novel.
    Glad to have you aboard mad orc, and thank you for taking the time to read my story as it has been written so far. As for the names, in future chapters I have been making an effort to differentiate the names due to comments from Alwyn and now from you as well, though this can be hard as Anglo-Saxon names do not vary a lot. I hope you stay tuned for more in the future!

Of course i will be tuned.And i take back my words.Go ahead with the Anglo Saxon names,keep them as authentic as possible.

Thanks, mad orc! As for the names, I am going to try to combine both; authenticity and uniqueness. Doesn't do very well to develop characters if their names can barely be distinguished I hope you guys enjoy this new chapter!

Quorum Praeteritum XLVI
    Late Fall, 1116

"Sorry for my lateness, your majesty."

"It is permitted, Alexios. Please, join us so we might begin our meet."

Alexios Komnenos was a man of contradictions, much like the new King Ealdred, which was perhaps why the two had forged such a close relationship. Born as the nephew of Isaakios Komnenos, who was Basileusof the Rhomaioi for only a brief time before abdicating his throne to Constantine Doukas, Alexios and his four brothers spent much of their early lives fighting under Ioannis Doukas, Constantine's brother, and aided his usurpation of Constantine's weak son Michail. It was during this time that the Seljuqs came upon Anatolia and fought a long battle with the eastern Romans, and this battle culminated in the sacking of the Queen of Cities in the year of our Lord 1075. While the city burnt, the entirety of the empire wept as they were called to mind the fall of the western empire of Rome.

As Alexios watched Seljuqs fall upon and burn Konstantinoupolis, it changed him. Where before he had been known as the proudest and most fearless of the Komnenos brothers, he was left scarred and humbled by the sacking, as the grand Rhomaioi image fell apart in the fires. Alexios had himself been the Megas Hetaireiarches, the master of Ioannis's Megalē Hetaireia, and was thus a well-respected man in the empire, managing the security of the King and his palace and his tents while on campaign, and also handling more delicate matters of intrigue. Yet when the Seljuqs came after the Basileus with great and near innumerous hordes while the rest of the city burned, Alexios abandoned his post and fled with what men would follow him, abandoning Ioannis to a gruesome torture and death.

After the sacking, disarray wracked the empire, and many emperors rose and fell. Amongst these emperors were Manouel and Isaakios, brothers of Alexios who established themselves as Co-Basileusoi, but both fell at the blades of Sicilian Normans who were supported by Adrianos Komnenos, another brother of Alexios. Alexios and his final brother, Nikephoros, took up arms alongside a new Emperor, Alexandros Mandromenos, who was able to defeat Adrianos and his Norman allies during a climatic battle battle in Dyrrhachion.

The victory did not belong entirely to Alexandros, but rather belonged largely to Nikepharos, who put on display a remarkable martial Aptitude. As reward, Nikepharos rose to become Caesar and received the theme of Dyrrhachion, and for a time there was peace in the empire. It was during this time that Ealdred came to serve as a Varangoi.

In 1109, however, Alexandros Mandromenos committed suicide and entrusted the Empire to his youngest son, also named Alexios. Theodosius, the elder son of Alexandros, claimed that his Father's decision was that of an unfit mind and opposed his younger brother's new claim, yet Ealdred, as Akoluothos, backed Alexios Mandromenos, causing a crisis of government. As the two brothers fought, Nikepharos Komnenos proclaimed himself emperor, and issued forth with a great themata of soldiers, Dyrrhachion having been reinforced and strengthened against the possibility of an Italo-Norman invasion. He also fought with the thematas of Nicopolis and Thessalonike and Boulgaria, and though his army did not compare well to the Imperial one, it was indeed a mighty army.

Alexios Mandromenos was able to defeat his brother Theodosius in several battles in Makedonia and the Aegean, and then came against Nikepharos, and Alexios Komnenos came to aid the Basileus against his brother. Despite the armies assembled against him, Nikepharos was able to hold off the emperor and a long standoff resulted, until a peace was made at last in which Nikepharos did not become emperor but rather a King independent from Konstantinoupolis, which some took for a sure sign the Empire had degraded. Alexios Komnenos, who had forged a friendship with Ealdred during their war effort against Nikepharos, was allowed to serve in the court of Konstantinoupolis after Ealdred convinced the Basileus to spare his life.

Alexios came with his three sons; Alexander, Theophilos, and Justinian, as well as Alexander's three own children, when Ealdred returned to Ænglaland to become King, as though the Emperor allowed him to reside in the court, he had a massive distrust of him. Now, Alexios was the Gedryhten, which means Marshal, for Ealdred, as despite his flaws he was an excellent military commander and statesman, and Ealdred had great need for both skills.

Alexios nodded to those around him, and was greeted by the faces of King Ealdred Leofricing, Blanche Capet, and Deorwald of Aclum, who were sat in chairs around a table upon which much food sat. The small group was far outnumbered by chairs, however, for the table was typically service to the expansive Curia Regis, which in the reign of Wilhelm had distinguished itself from the southern Witenagemot, though the distinguishment was needed no longer when Thored tore down the Witenagemot. The group was gathered all towards the upper end of the table, Ealdred sitting at the edge and with a glass of wine in his hand.

Alexios took up a seat at the table directly next to Ealdred, with Blanche and Deorwald sat on the opposite side of the table from him next to each other. "Have you already begun?"

"We have discussed the potential loyalties of some of my vassals, as Deorwald has been intermingling amongst them, but we have not yet to begin our true conversation. I want to speak with you, my closest advisors, of the issue of Wilberht and Aelfhun, and the accusations against Godfrith." answered Ealdred.

Alexios began to be serviced a plate by a servant, and Blanche was first to speak. "We should pressure Wilberht and Aelfhun into revealing more. We can leverage them off of each other if we keep them isolated, and we should always keep Wilberht on the edge of return to his position of Hordere. Tease him with it."

"There is a sense of wisdom in this, but perhaps a message should be sent to the court that a traitor will not be tolerated." Deorwald said.

"The court does not yet know that he has betrayed us so. Indeed, we could leverage such revelation." suggested Blanche.

"But to uncover a traitor within our court would perhaps convince our courtiers and our vassals that we are capable of fighting this rebellion."

"Then why not wait until we can know more? Were we to wait for a time and put a dozen traitors before the court, it would surely be a more impressive achievement."

Deorwald nodded, careful to show that he was considering the words of Blanche seriously, for he know she was a volatile woman, though Ealdred wondered if he had another reason. He considered himself to be particularly good at spotting liars. "Yet all of our vassals are gathered now, and if not them themselves then a representative, and they will soon depart. Now would be a primary moment to begin to turn the court. I would also recommend that the King remembers we have three traitors, and that the revelation of even one would greatly help our court's opinion of him."

"Two. Two traitors. One accused. And who are you to tell the King what to do?" Blanche said.

"I do not at all seek to tell the King what to do, but rather offer advisement, as I have been tasked with. If the King does not want my advisement, he need but inform me. As for the number of traitors, if we were to question the disloyalty of Godfrith should we not call into question all information we are given? Having known him for a time, I also personally do not doubt the capabilities of Godfrith to look out only for himself, and thus betray the crown."

Blanche rolled her eyes at this, and Alexios stroked his beard as he listened and watched, considering his own opinion on the matter, and also what it was that Blanche knew that he seemingly did not know. Ealdred too watched and he massaged the hilt of his ceremonial blade, a key piece of his Royal Regalia and a symbol of his might as King.

"I understand your meaning, Deorwald, and thank you for your advisement. Also, I agree with your opinion upon Godfrith. He was indeed near the first man I met upon my return, and he tried to convince me to betray my own Father for his own means. He is a traitor, and I have no dispute of the matter in my mind. Now, Alexios, you have been quiet; speak your mind, if you would." Ealdred said.

Alexios looked around the table before speaking. He had lifted up a piece of bread to eat from as soon as Ealdred had spoken his name, intent on seizing a few more moments for thought. Three sets of eyes were concentrated upon him as he chewed, but he paid them little mind until at last he spoke. "I find myself disagreeing with the Lady Capet in this matter. While the court is gathered, and perhaps even before the King's meet with Godefroy de Montbrai, we should present to them a traitor."

"And who might you say that we feed to them?" Ealdred questioned.

"If I might make a suggestion, to be considered by Alexios before he speaks, I would say that Godfrith and Wilberht should both be put out." Deorwald blurted, interrupting before Alexios could speak.

"Then we will reveal all three of our sources, for it is known that Aelfhun is arrested." Blanche said.

"Aelfhun may in our prison, but we do not necessarily have to reveal the reason for his arrest. If Wilberht is revealed, we could perhaps say that Aelfhun was attempting the King's work."

"That would be a hard tale to present."

"Yes, but I would think the teasing of it might be enough to persuade Aelfhun."

"A wise idea." Ealdred commented, somewhat perturbed by the interruption, "Alexios?"

"The idea of Deorwald has weight. I think that Aelfhun would have more information for us then perhaps Godfrith or Wilberht could give, as his Father is key to Godefroy's plans, as we have been told." Alexios answered.

"Is not the fact that Wilberht revealed Aelfhun evidence that he might have more information?" Blanche asked.

"Aelfhun was attempting to silence Wilberht. I agree with Alexios that he likely has more information than either of our other prisoners." Deorwald said.

Ealdred nodded in consideration, but again attempted to put the conversation upon Alexios by looking to him. He wanted to know what his friend thought, but he seemed reluctant to speak. Alexios caught the gaze of Ealdred and spoke, "I propose this to be done; Aelfhun and his companions should be kept and interrogated, and Godfrith and Wilberht should be revealed before the court as traitors before you meet with Godefroy."

When Blanche began to speak again, Ealdred stopped her with a hand gesture. "What say you, Deorwald, in a few words?"

Deorwald thought for a moment, taking a sip of wine, yet he already knew what he would say. Indeed, all present did, for it was his idea in origin, but he was accepting of Ealdred putting it upon Alexios. "I agree with the proposal, and think it is wise."

"And you, Mother? What say you, also in few words?"

Blanche shook her head, "I disagree, but it would seem my word will not be listened to and is outnumbered."

"Good, then the matter is settled. Alexios, I want you to inform the geréfa (Reeve), Leofsige, that Godfrith and Wilberht are to be arrested and their arrest is to be announced to the court. Do so now and quickly. You are all dismissed, save for you Mother."

Deorwald and Alexios stood and began to depart, but first Alexios leaned over Ealdred's shoulder. "Be careful of these two for their influence, yet listen still to them, for they are wise in skill."

His words were true. Perhaps the greatest advantage of Ealdred was his advisors, for his council were extremely capable in matters of diplomacy and intrigue and war, though he needed to be aware of their own plots. This was especially lucky for Ealdred, as he had little skill outside of his skill with blade and a worldly wisdom.

After Deorwald and Alexios had left, Ealdred and his mother, Blanche Capet, discussed some new reforms that Ealdred had planned. His time in the Queen of Cities had spoiled him against lesser courts, and he wanted to make his court great and prestigious. He planned to introduce new honorary titles and to introduce new rules of etiquette, and also expand his own royal wardrobe. Indeed, his dryht hrœgelthegn (Lord of the Robe-Keeping) was much taxed in maintaining Ealdred's Royal Regalia, which was an astonishing sight to see in it's fullness.

After discussing the reforms, Ealdred dismisses his mother, and decided to send for another, unusual aspect in his court; the King Yevstafii of Sumi (Finland). When the old Rusian King arrived, Ealdred offered a smile to him. "Hello Yevstafii. I am glad to see you."

"Hello Ealdred. Might I ask why you seek my company?" Yevstafii asked as he maneuvered himself to a cup of meade.

"I acknowledge the crimes of my Father against you, and I am sorry for them. I know that you both had a close relationship before he tore it asunder so foolishly, and I wonder perhaps if I might have such a friendship with you.”

Yevstafii considered the words for a moment, running his finger around the top of his cup as he thought. “Young Ealdred, friendships form as natural things, unless you speak of the kind of appointed friendships you southern Kings use for diplomacy.”

“Yes, but close proximity can breed friendliness. For example, the close proximity a King might have to one of his advisors.” Ealdred answered.

“Your words ring true. I will say this Ealdred; I will not oppose a friendship, and if one should be forged naturally I would be glad of it, but I will also not force myself to be a friend to you, for the memory of your Father’s assassins still remains in my mind.”

“Then you will remain and advise me?”

“Yes. My son, Danilo, heads my Kingdom now as regent in my absence, and I already had a mind for remaining alongside my daughter, your wife, for a time here in Ænglaland. Where you find need of advisement, I will offer it to you.”

Ealdred smiled. “I am glad of it then. Perhaps you might remain with me to drink and compare our times amongst the Varangoi? Though your service was of more internal chaos then my own, I think that the violence of that eastern empire breeds memorable tales.”

“I do not doubt we both have tales, but I wonder if now is the time to tell them, or the day to become drunken.”

Ealdred smirked, “I can avert a stupor.”

“I doubt that much, Ealdred. From what I have heard you are a glutton with little control of your thirst for wine or meade, and you have a meeting of great importance soon. You must have your wits about you when you are to meet your foe.” Yevstafii remarked, his tone reprimanding in a style like that of a Father.

“Fine. Then would you at least give me some advice?” Ealdred requested, insulted and yet grateful for Yevstafii’s brutal honesty.

“My advice? Don’t rely on other’s advice.” the Rusian said.

Ealdred first grunted at this counsel, but then took it to mind after the pair had said their goodbyes and Yevstafii had departed. It was true that he relied on his friends an extreme amount, but he considered this to be part of his wisdom. He could only proclaim great skill by way of combat, and knew to rely on those wiser than him.

Perhaps Yevstafii had spoken some truth, though. Perhaps in order to become a greater King he needed to rely upon himself and his own wisdom, for surely if he had the wisdom to listen to others, this suggested he had some wisdom to listen to from himself!

Not to compare,but to help you.Try reading this.Its similarily based in all 3 paradox games.
    https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...0Y-l588vj0sO8Y

I'm enjoying this tale, with the concerns about potentially disloyal vassals and traitors adding to the tension. The advice of Yevstafii, and Ealdred's reaction, are nicely done.

Loved it. The best part is that the ending isnt the end. Wont be able to sleep now. Thanks.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678