Thread: Palmyra: before and after

Default Palmyra: before and after

Temple of Baal

Victory colonade

2nd temple blown up

Channel 4 crew there now

Graffiti telling people to keep out of destroyed Temple of Bel Palmyra by order of ISIS.

Lots of destruction but 75-80 of the things still stand.

When I find more I will edit it in.

Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; April 01, 2016 at 02:54 PM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Palmyra: before and after

So depressing but of course necessary to document, in order to understand the warped Wahhabi ideology of ISIS.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Damn those plebs! Baal must be pissed.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Please tell me that at least that amphitheater is still there..
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

It's still there. A lot of the key monuments are now gone, though.

The reals shame is the destruction of the temples which will be difficult to restore since their material was blasted. The Triumph Arc is a diffrent story since the blocs are widely intact and are still scathered around. Puting them up is a thing of a few months especially since its is well documented from before.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Look at the sort of things they destroyed at Hatra as well, these timeless statues of Parthian-era people staring down at you with their distinctive hairstyles and mustaches and beards:

Patrician

How much of Hatra did ISIS destroy? Well the stuff that Shapur didn't destroy but what specifically.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Good question. The news about it is still fuzzy. They've apparently bulldozed all the important standing structures amid the ruins. That I do know.

Patrician

ISIS should claim in their propaganda that they are the only people to take Hatra (besides Shapur I).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ISIS should claim in their propaganda that they are the only people to take Hatra (besides Shapur I).
    Basically.

The Romans tried several times. Didn't work out, although they did manage to take Dura-Europos and hold it (unlike the ephemeral control they had over Mesopotamia at times with Trajan's campaign and a few others after him - Marcus Aurelius, Septimius Severus, and Caracalla - into the heart of the Parthian Empire).

I know some Archaeologists who visited Hatra in the late 80s and they told me that it seems the side met better fortune than Niniveh and Palmyra. Those idiots actually spent a lot of time destroying things like the walls of the city. And here comes the funny part, they were built up pretty unhistorical by Saddam to promote Tourism

Dura-Europos is a problem though. You almost get no information about it, but if you look at recent satellite images you can see holes every three meter everywhere before the city, which is where the ancient graveyard is located. Scholars from Syria i met in Germany in the last year told me that the problem is less IS because they actually dig up only a smal percentage, definitly below 20 % the stuff we see on the blackmarkets, but local who have no work because of the war. The graveyards in Dura-Europos where left untouched for a reason, because there was no money for a good excavation, but now they will be almost all lost. That especially sad because its one if not the best preserved ancient town we have. But it seems they are only interested in the fancy stuff, so specially many of the Tells from 1500 BC are left untouched since they have in the majority rural material. The Death/Forgotten cities which are part of the UNESCO World heritage are another problem. Rebels in Idlib seem to use some of them as storage, especially on the border to the Latakia province and are therefore sometimes targeted by Government troops. I also saw images from the Krak de Chevaliers which was used as a base by rebels at the beginning of the conflict. I was less distracted by images of bulletholes outside but by the living conditions inside with garbage and excrements everywhere. Luckely they abandoned the fortress before Artillery was used on them.

Just a few things i saw and was told by scholars from Aleppo and Damascus going around and looking for support to rescue the ancient heritage of Syria. Most of them get training in Germany and Switzerland so that when they return they know how the rebuild and reconstruct the lost heritage.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

So Palmyra was retaken yesterday by Assad. It seems that it should be safe for the forseeable future as there's no danger at all that IS will try to retake it - it took literally one day to drive them out of the city, a mark of how few soldiers they have at the moment who aren't committed in more important areas in Mosul and along the Euphrates. And once Mosul falls then all that's left are Raqqa and Deir Ez-Zor and then there won't be an Islamic State to speak of. Ironically the Qur'an frequently mentions the ruins in and around Arabia and the Levant, claiming that they represent the fallen civilisations which refused to follow Allah's commands. So when IS were destroying them, they were destroying signs deliberately left by God to signal His message, as well as the cultural heritage of their own ancestors, and priceless global heritage, and the tourism potential of their own country. I think history will judge them appropriately, as among the most degenerate and brainless morons ever to walk the face of planet earth.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."