Thread: Non-steam version still available?

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Default Non-steam version still available?

Hi all.

I used to play alot of MTW2 with a variety of mods such as Stainless Steel etc. A few months ago I heard that Steam updated their version of MTW2 that made it hard to get mods to work. No worries I said as I have a non Steam copy on Gamersgate....alas Gamersgate took that copy away and just gave me a steam code...

So I am wondering if there is any vendors that still sell a non Steam digital copy of MTW2? Or does anyone know if some mods have been fixed to work with the recent Steam update?

Thanks!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Non-steam version still available?

I haven't heard of any digital Steam alternative, but from what I understand, most major mods are Steam compatible. Many will say as much in their download threads.

I haven't read it, but this thread may shed some light.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks Frunk!

Yes most mods are compatible with Steam. However there was a patch in 2014 that combined Kingdoms.exe and Medievil2.exe and that caused trouble for several mods. But thanks to some searching and your link I see there is some fixes. THanks again!

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    Thanks Frunk!

Yes most mods are compatible with Steam. However there was a patch in 2014 that combined Kingdoms.exe and Medievil2.exe and that caused trouble for several mods. But thanks to some searching and your link I see there is some fixes. THanks again!
    you can try this tool also http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...l-II-Total-War
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Non-Steam versions is still available here in India at least, through online retailers like Flipkart selling original disk versions. All the first 4 games, from Shogun 1 to Medieval 2. Including some Gold/Complete Editions.

What is this 2014 patch you are talking about, if I may ask? Been a long while since I used to frequent on the forums and modding scene...
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Non-Steam versions is still available here in India at least, through online retailers like Flipkart selling original disk versions. All the first 4 games, from Shogun 1 to Medieval 2. Including some Gold/Complete Editions.

What is this 2014 patch you are talking about, if I may ask? Been a long while since I used to frequent on the forums and modding scene...
    IRCC a patch who merged the medieval2 exe and the kingdoms exe into one exe
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Kindoms used to have its own entry in the Steam Library, they removed it and made it a dlc of M2TW. They removed the Kingdoms.exe in the process, which most mods use to launch. It's not a big problem though as it can easily be fixed by copying the medieval2.exe and renaming it kingdoms.exe or by altering the path the mod uses to launch to medieval2.exe.

I bought the Gold Edition on disc years ago, not sure if you can still get that though.