Thread: Rome: Total War Gold Edition Only Using Integrated Graphics

Sariz's Avatar Laetus

Default Rome: Total War Gold Edition Only Using Integrated Graphics

Hello everyone. I have looked through the forums for solutions to problems regarding Rome: Total War Gold Edition. Especially in regards to Windows 10. I have not had any problems getting the game to launch on Windows 10 as the game successfully launched on the first try and I didn't edit the preferences.txt until after. However, what I never could get to work is having the game use the dedicated graphics card on my laptop rather than integrated. Despite changing the settings in the Nvidia Control Panel and right clicking the exe and trying to have it run using the Nvidia card it will not work. I saw another user post this issue in another topic, but no response to his issue was received so I decided to start another thread on the issue. My issue is the same as has been described, however. It seems when the game first launches that the Nvidia card takes over for a split second then by the loading screen the integrated card has taken back over. He also mentioned he is using the GeForce GTX 860M card and I am using that same card as well. Anyone have any ideas? Hoping any replies to this topic will help others as well as myself. Maybe someone will notice something and will get an answer out of this topic in regards to the mention problem or a similar problem they may be having as well. Thanks guys. I attached a dxdiag in the hopes it will be helpful in shedding some light on the problem.

DxDiag.txt

Default Re: Rome: Total War Gold Edition Only Using Integrated Graphics

I could never really understand why an old game like rome can slow down so much even on modern pcs. Maybe because rome's engine can use only one processor at time, thus eliminating the advantage of having a multi core processor. Anyway, unless your integrated graphics is too old, it should run fine. Juat disable useless eye candies like AA and reflections/shadows. The game should run fast this way.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlich View Post
    Maybe because rome's engine can use only one processor at time, thus eliminating the advantage of having a multi core processor.
    Not Maybe, but Definitely - only from Empire Total War was the series able to use more than one processor. Rome I and Medieval II both can still only use 1 processor ....
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

Is it that much of a problem for you that the game uses an integrated graphics module?

I am by no means an expert on DxDiag reports, but what I read from yours is that your i-GPU and your nVidia-GPU are sharing the load @ 6103MB. And that your iGPU is the one your display calls for, not your 860M.
    I am probably completely wrong here, but I think it means that you aren't using your nVidia-GPU at all really.. If only for the extra vid_memory it supplies.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

moved to the Eras technical help forum
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sariz's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzy View Post
    Is it that much of a problem for you that the game uses an integrated graphics module?

I am by no means an expert on DxDiag reports, but what I read from yours is that your i-GPU and your nVidia-GPU are sharing the load @ 6103MB. And that your iGPU is the one your display calls for, not your 860M.
    I am probably completely wrong here, but I think it means that you aren't using your nVidia-GPU at all really.. If only for the extra vid_memory it supplies.
    Sorry it has been some time since I have visited this topic. However, yes. This still seems to cause an issue. While there is things I have read, some of yours, and others to try to optimize the game and make it more playable if it ran off of the dedicated graphics, there would be no issues. I've tried setting it to a single core, using Large Address Aware and other small things, but it still seems slow overall and could be better and more playable. Maybe I am missing a crucial step, but that is the reason for my inquiry of the issue.

Not sure if you actually mentioned this before, but are you using any mods?
    Any mods at all?
    Check out this guide for making stuff work on Win10: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-windows10-FIX

--Let's Carpe the out of this Diem!

It's work, thanks mate.

Dear all,

From what I can see, using this particular version of the d3d8.dll file, will allow the game to use your dedicated graphics card (thus increasing performance massively), *without* getting rid of flaming projectiles.

Download the file here

I should just add that I've only tested this with the retail version(s) of Rome & Barbarian Invasion (i.e. 1.5 , & 1.6) not the Steam version(s) (1.5.1) of either. So, mileage may vary. But, this is, to this day, the best fix I've found.

Another thing ppl. could try to do is disable their integrated graphics in the BIOS. This might force the game to use your graphics card.

-V

-
    G. Ward