Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I fixed the Cavalry charge

Default I think I fixed the Cavalry charge

I tried several different days to increase the effectiveness of the cavalry charge without overpowering them.

After about 4hrs of testing, I think I have my cavalry charging the correct way 100% of the time without switching weapons and now actually better reacting to commands compare to the vanilla cavalry (they don't just walk around like numbnuts after giving a charge order).

They will still chase the routing enemy with swords and they will still switch to swords if there is almost zero charge distance, which is very realistic.

But with each double click attack onto any unit from a fair distance, the units will charge the enemy with their lances down and without hesitation.

Before I give this out, I will need more testing, in campaign, as well as with other options on/off (unit sizes and seeing a difference with different experience in campaign)

I need someone who would work with me in parallel to test my findings as well as to try out other possibilites with the cavalry modding.

- I need someone who knows how to change the values in the export_descr_unit.txt and also run the game in modswitched mode.

Let me know!

custom battle tests.

I'm using the same cavalry (germandes) over and over. I only double click each time.

first charge:

I withdraw, then from some distance I just double click

second charge

withdraw.
    move back, this time i'm gonna attack the missile cavalry
    double clike
    third charge

This wasn't so succesive, since they were moving towards me, so it's half-done, and understandable they switch to swords, but they didn't hesitate.

I gave it a run in the campaign too. At this time I made my secret change to all heavy cav.

first charge. (simple double clicked on a group of footknights:

impacting right in, no hesitation, no weapon switching

I withdraw, double click out to extend my distance, then double click them again for second charge:

and a third

and a fourth

and a fifth(charging the general bodyguard)

My conclusions.
    It works for me.
    Sometimes of course they got a bit tangled up, especially from the woods, but they charged as soon as normal circumstances allowed them, and without being in any sort of formation.
    They also obey orders better.
    I did not made them super, they still fall like flyes if you charge into spear army or you let them tangled up too long.
    They will also chase routers with swords and if they are meele distance from the enemy, they won't go into charge mode.

...so, I think i got something here..
    Last edited by HorseArcher; December 09, 2006 at 01:22 AM.

Default Re: I think I fixed the Cavalry charge

niceeee! I hope that you release this asap!

^^

llama_attack's Avatar Foederatus

Nicely done , i will be using this

I assume they're still devastating if lined up, given a good runup and single clicked?

bah, releaseee it! im looking forward to a new campaign using Italianos AI + sweet charge

Sinuhet's Avatar Preparing for death

Ave HA!

I am very interested in this. I wolud like to spent some time to test it, because I think that it is very important thing to fix. I ahve thought that it is some thing in hardcode, because it resembles to me the swithing weapons difficulties in RTW too. Let me know if you still needs some people to help you with this. I am not sure however why the modswitch condition you have given for your testers ....

Bye Sinuhet
    My TW games "Battle Formations" projects:
    Sinuhet's ETW Formations v2.0 – for ETW
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v5.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v3.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's AI Battle Formations v7.0 – for RTW 1.5

In Patrocinivm Svb HorseArcher

Thanks Sinuhet! I will pm- you shortly, but first I want to explain, that I don't want this to be included in a mod (although you can freely without any sort of permission) as a mod-only feature, I just want to test several options out and see how far we can go and then let everyone have it.
    I am not sure however why the modswitch condition you have given for your testers ....
    Well, we don't have the unpacker yet, (or do we?) so the modified export description file would only work with the mod switch, right?

Once I tell you how easy it is to make the cavalry work, you'll laugh, but since i have found other options as well, that's why I want to run some test runs.

oooh! CA will have to be notified, now you're breaking the game mechanics

But at least, tell us how can we change the cavalry charge!

Is it have something with charge distance? i double it to 90 (45) and charges looks better now, is it it?

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Is it have something with charge distance? i double it to 90 (45) and charges looks better now, is it it?
    JaM, in which txt file could you change this ? Can you tell me? Incidentally, I rather think, that is what you expected and changed 45 to 90.

Export description unit.txt Once upon a time Darth Vader has a really good guide how to improve RTW cavalry with stat_charge_dist and stat_fire_delay stats. Maybe same can be used for M2TW with some modifications...

Yeah, what I don't understand is why someone who had found a simple and easy change to make charges better would go to the trouble of posting loads of screenshots but not share the setting they had found...

ill try 45 to 90 then and have a look..

Were these screenshots all taken from custom battles? I was under the impression that cavalry charges already worked a lot better in custom battles than campaign battles, for reasons I can't even guess at.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseArcher View Post
    Once I tell you how easy it is to make the cavalry work, you'll laugh, but since i have found other options as well, that's why I want to run some test runs.
    Let me guess,
    do you have to change the line where it says
    Code:
    Cavalry Charge Bug = True
    to
    Code:
    Cavalry Charge Bug = False

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDweller View Post
    Were these screenshots all taken from custom battles? I was under the impression that cavalry charges already worked a lot better in custom battles than campaign battles, for reasons I can't even guess at.
    ummm.. if you would read the sentences above the screenshots, you'd see that the last 4-5 shots are from the campaign.

And that's right, here is the secret, change the charge distance to 80 instead from 45

It did it for me, for both campaign battles and custom battles.

Also experiment with the following settings:

at the attributes: add this line power_charge,

and also try changing their stat_mental to disciplined or Impetuous

But so far my charge distance change works without any other alterations.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Ah so it is as simple as that, ill be sure to include that fix in Lands to Conquer v1.1 if the patch does not completely fix it.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseArcher View Post
    ummm.. if you would read the sentences above the screenshots, you'd see that the last 4-5 shots are from the campaign.
    Sorry. I read the starting text of the post, but just skimmed through the screenshots to the closing comments and didn't notice the comment in the middle of them.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Tom Servo's Avatar Semisalis

I cant believe it but your right, knights are way more responsive. One bad thing that comes out of this is that knights dont care if they are in line or not, everyone just runs towards the enemy. I think this will be somewhat a good thing though, because you will need to have a good line to break infantry lines.
    In my tests a lined-up charge decimated highlanders but when i did some path abusing they charged in a rabble and couldnt move through the second row of highlanders. However they didnt stop with their swords to wait for their comrades, so it was cool to watch.

Archer,

have you try to charge the skirmish units AKA archers xbomen???

edit: Holy Crap it works........even in scattered formation

Good Job archer....!!!!

edit 2: spoke too soon, when archer begin skirmish the issue still exist....

but again, for the most of time it works.....truly a good job archer!
    Last edited by chaostheory; December 09, 2006 at 05:05 PM.

A fortune teller once told Jack Bauer the following: "In the century 21st, you will be the savior of the world... seven seasons in a row." Moments later, Jack Bauer shot him in the kneecaps, and yelled "WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast