Thread: Multiplayer Campaign (kinda)

Default Multiplayer Campaign (kinda)

A while ago I tried to admin a multiplayer campaign for MTW. Before I get a bunch of peoples hopes up-- this is not a campaign played through the games campaign interface. However MTW was dying by the time that it got around to registration, and we could not get enough people who were seriously interested in playing so it never got played out.

Before I spend the time to construct one for MTW2 I would like to feel the water. How many people exactly would be interested in participating and playing seriously and consistently until the end?

The campaign takes place in three main areas. Excel sheets, forums, and online battles. All the data is held in excel sheets. One book contains many sheets which I call the static data. This is the data that is used as reference throughout the rest of the excel data. It is also where I stored things such as trading and naval battle algorithms.

There is another excel book that I call the running data. This is the data that changes throughout the course of the campaign. This contains things like build queues and ship positions.

Then each faction recieves a report every turn. Included in this report is everything from what units and buildings they are creating, their finances, the locations of their troops, reconissance, and much more.

The players communicate with each other and the admins through online forums. Each turn the players inform the admins of any moves that they wish to make. These moves are updated in the next turn report.

When players war with each other they will fight their battles online.

If you want to learn more about it download and read this word document. This is the full instructions and rules of the scrapped MTW campaign. Please note that any links posted in this likely do not exist anymore. So don't tell me they are broken, simply the account I uploaded them to months ago has expired.
    CLICK ME

Here is the MTW campaign's static data and running data
    Static Data
    Running Data

Here is a sample faction report for the starting turn
    Almohad Report
    Almohad Map

If you are interested please say so.

Also leave some other crucial feedback if you are interested. Would you be willing to play 1 year turns starting from the early era? Or would you rather have longer turn increments or maybe start at a later date?

Also I don't have the time I used to have, so if this ever does start I will probably need assistant admins.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Default Re: Multiplayer Campaign (kinda)

Moved to the Multiplayer sub-forum.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I'd love to but I really don't think I'd understnad how to play, because I tend to have trouble with spreadsheets.
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Ronin's Avatar Biarchus

Would you make a guide for it?

"I am ronin because I serve no master.

The set of principles that denote absolute justice require no
    subordinates.
    I am a warrior of justice."
    ~ Ronin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Would you make a guide for it?
    The guide is the word document. Did you read that?

I was planning on doing something similar. The only problem is, you make it a little too complicated. I would like to join, but you should make this a little easier. If it is less complicated, more people will join.

Also, the guide you posted is a bit out of date.

What I think you should do is just make a bunch of options we can pick each turn, and then submit them.

I was planning on doing something similar. The only problem is, you make it a little too complicated. I would like to join, but you should make this a little easier. If it is less complicated, more people will join.
    Yeah, that is always the problem. In a TW game it is hard to incorporate as much of the authentic game material while keeping it simple. What I am contemplating doing is attempting to program something that will provide a GUI for the player, instead of just excel sheets. Of course all the data behind it would be saved in these sheets. I just want to find a way to have a program interprete the data into the GUI.

The problem is, the closest thing to programming that I know is HTML

So either I would have to spend time teaching myself something like C++ in order to do this, or work with someone else who already knows.

Also, the guide you posted is a bit out of date.
    It's 8 months old because it was made for MTW1

What I think you should do is just make a bunch of options we can pick each turn, and then submit them.
    I'm interested, but I don't see how you could do that without making it too shallow.

The problem with complexity comes in with keeping track of each individual unit's stats and position. One solution (which was used and played in multiplayer campaign last year for MTW) is to have X number of florins for their army. Whenever they have a battle to be fought, they spend that much money on their army. However, I just don't think that is a TW experience.

If you have any ideas please throw them out.

It is to complicated I don't think half of the people understand what your plan is.
    The law is reason free from passion - Aristotle.

The end does NOT justify the means.

Senator

It's sad that the TW community has to resort to this because CA didn't include a MP campaign mode. Please give us MP campaign CA - even if only through direct IP.

I'd definitely be up for a forum based campaign for M2TW, if your still considering going through with this.

My only question would be if you're going to use the game's map or if you'll make it more historically accurate. Either would be good enough for me, but I think it is an important question to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNorthman View Post
    I'd definitely be up for a forum based campaign for M2TW, if your still considering going through with this.

My only question would be if you're going to use the game's map or if you'll make it more historically accurate. Either would be good enough for me, but I think it is an important question to ask.
    Nothing is concrete, it could be either or. But there is one thing for certain, it will have MTW style movement (risk style) and not the whole RTW/M2TW movement style. That would be like quantum physics compared to the risk style.

But well...that makes two of us interested

If more interest gets attracted then I'll start building it, but until then... we have no choice but to put it off to the side.

I'll drop you a PM if it ever gets enough interest.

Post removed as it is spam and a troll.
    If you don't want to be involved in the campaign, DO NOT POST HERE SAYING HOW YOU THINK IT IS A BAD IDEA (either in those words or any other), anyone who does from here on out gets a nice little card next to their name saying infraction.

-Aristocrat
    Last edited by Aristocrat; December 20, 2006 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
    But well...that makes two of us interested
    Make that THREE

Looks like the others are starting the PBE campaign, are they're any ideas as to how this could work togather???