Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Faction Emblems overhaul.

Default [Preview] Faction Emblems overhaul.

Here are the updated faction emblems, which will be added to the mod in the 0.3 update. This is a work in progress, and more will be added soon.

Last edited by Cope; March 30, 2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added more words :P

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Faction Emblems overhaul.

Added some more words to make the preview a bit fancier. We're going to be adding these to the mod soon.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Default Re: [Preview] Faction Emblems overhaul.

For Aksum i would suggest to replace the crescent of Almaqah with a Greek cross, since the king and his court was already Christian at that time. The cross could look like on this rockcarving:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Once again, ep1c_fail's work proves to be the total opposite of their username. Wow!

Looks very good!
    The guy who used to test DeI and FotE on Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    For Aksum i would suggest to replace the crescent of Almaqah with a Greek cross, since the king and his court was already Christian at that time. The cross could look like on this rockcarving:
    Hm, yeah. Probably shouldn't use a pagan symbol for Axum. Might work for Garamantia though? Hmmm...

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Hm, yeah. Probably shouldn't use a pagan symbol for Axum. Might work for Garamantia though? Hmmm...
    Almaqah was a Sabaen god, so it wouldnt fit that much for a central Saharan kingdom. Finding a fitting faction symbol for Garamantia is a sligthly harder task than for Aksum since we barely know anything about Garamantias kingship, but for Vae Victis i am just using a special type of grave stele as faction symbol. Its very characteristical for Garamantian graves and is called the Garamantian hand:

Almaqah was a Sabaen god, so it wouldnt fit that much for a central Saharan kingdom. Finding a fitting faction symbol for Garamantia is a sligthly harder task than for Aksum since we barely know anything about Garamantias kingship, but for Vae Victis i am just using a special type of grave stele as faction symbol. Its very characteristical for Garamantian graves and is called the Garamantian hand
    Ok is this more agreeable for Aksum?

Just a note on the previous version. My source claims that the disk (circle) represents the Aksumite Empire whilst the crescent represents the state. Together they mean the Aksum State. If this was in use during the 4th, which is the century during which the game starts, it can't be that out of date right?

Will the faction emblems change region colour/replace the small toolbar emblem at the top of the screen? They look great by the way. Love that rustic look.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Ok is this more agreeable for Aksum?

Yeah, looks pretty cool.
    Just a note on the previous version. My source claims that the disk (circle) represents the Aksumite Empire whilst the crescent represents the state. Together they mean the Aksum State. If this was in use during the 4th, which is the century during which the game starts, it can't be that out of date right?
    Never heard of that theory before, but i can tell you that this symbol is way older than the Aksumite Empire and that it was in use since the early first millenium BC in both Yemen, Eritrea and northeastern Ethiopia. Here a block from the temple of Yeha (~Mid first millenium BC):

Quote Originally Posted by Delicate Strawberry View Post
    Will the faction emblems change region colour/replace the small toolbar emblem at the top of the screen? They look great by the way. Love that rustic look.
    Yeah, we'll make sure to do those changes as well. I know we never did them for our current symbols.

Yeah, we'll make sure to do those changes as well. I know we never did them for our current symbols.
    Tsk tsk.

Yeah, looks pretty cool.

Never heard of that theory before, but i can tell you that this symbol is way older than the Aksumite Empire and that it was in use since the early first millenium BC in both Yemen, Eritrea and northeastern Ethiopia. Here a block from the temple of Yeha (~Mid first millenium BC):
    Well yes. I always associated it with punic culture prior to coming across it when reading about the Aksumite Empire. It is certainly possible that it was "stolen" by the Aksumites and redefined. As you know, it is not uncommon for symbols to shift between cultures and over time come to mean different things. That is to say that an identical marking can mean different things to different people from different cultures.

Here is one source that tries to explain the disk and crescent marking.

Taking all that into account, I know literally nothing about North African history, so I'm more than happy to accept advice and suggestions from others. In any case, the punic emblem is basically a meme anyway, and your suggested image looks cooler and also always me to incorporate christian symbols.

Thanks for the help - I'll no doubt be back for more at some point, I've still a fair number of african factions to go, included the Mauri and whatever else CA put in the game.

I've still a fair number of african factions to go, included the Mauri and whatever else CA put in the game.
    You're planning on doing all the factions?

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Well yes. I always associated it with punic culture prior to coming across it when reading about the Aksumite Empire. It is certainly possible that it was "stolen" by the Aksumites and redefined. As you know, it is not uncommon for symbols to shift between cultures and over time come to mean different things.
    The story behind this symbol is that it symbolizes the Sabaen moon god Almaqah, which found his way into Ethioipia with the Sabaen colonization in the early first millenium BC. Almaqah remained a god of major importance right until the Christianization of Aksum. This can be seen at best on Aksumite coins, where Almaqahs crescent was placed right above the head of the king. During Ezanas reign the crescent was replaced with a cross, since he converted to Christianity in around 340 AD. Here Pagan and Christian coins of Ezana in comparison:

Thanks for the help - I'll no doubt be back for more at some point, I've still a fair number of african factions to go, included the Mauri and whatever else CA put in the game.
    I see what i can do for the western Berbers, though i don't know much about them, especially not during the 4th and 5th century.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Hey cool icons, what is the Hun one?

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Hey cool icons, what is the Hun one?
    Looks like a symbol of Tengri, the form of religion most Huns would likely be practicing.

Yep, some of them are religious symbols, as there isn't much else to go on for many factions. We're thinking about having an alternate icon set with symbols of other religions for separatists (or as a submod).

Yep, some of them are religious symbols, as there isn't much else to go on for many factions. We're thinking about having an alternate icon set with symbols of other religions for separatists (or as a submod).
    Good idea, that would add some nice variation, and more immersion. Especially with the Romans. Is it possible if/when the separatists take a territory, that they can be set to a different religion? I.e, Roman Separatists wouldn't start Christian.

It should be possible. I had noticed this in the files - I think some separatist factions do actually start as different religions from the main faction by default.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast