Thread: SOLVED:adding new regions causing CTD during siegebattles

Default SOLVED:adding new regions causing CTD during siegebattles

EDIT: Problem has been solved, read bottom of page

Hi, the last couple of days we have been researching on how to add new regions in MTW2, everything has worked fine and its easier than ever.

however we found a problem during siege battles that we cant figure out how to resolve, a crash to desktop when battering down the gates to the newly added regions.

auto resolve and starvation works fine, its only at the moment when the gates comes down that casues a crash.

anyone else runned into this problem? have we missed something or could it be a bug in the game?

files edited:
    desc_regions.txt
    desc_strat.txt,
    imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt,
    descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
    Last edited by jojje; December 16, 2006 at 08:05 AM.
    Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.- EAlfonso the Wise, King of Castile,

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Default Re: adding new regions casuing CTD during siegebat

This belongs in Mapping.

I'm currently adding more provinces and have populated greece and asia minor with extra cities, i will test this tomorrow and get back to you asap.

exellent, it would be great to get some confirmation on this.

oh and ingore the reply i just made in your "Who wants more provinces" post
    Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.- EAlfonso the Wise, King of Castile,

Ok well i just beseiged Brusa (new city) as the turks and only built battering rams. I knocked down the gates and it was fine, i stormed the city and won. So sorry i havnt encountered this problem . But i will conduct tests into different levels of walls later today when i have more time. This test was with Wooden walls, the ones where guys can stand on them, forgotten their name.
    Also dont forget to add your province to the mercenary file.
    Last edited by Smithyis1337; December 09, 2006 at 07:50 AM.

We've found the problem, it's a bug in the game(probably at least) causing new settlements with NE faction creators(denmark/england tested) to crash when either the walls are taken or the gates battered down, changed the faction_creator to an SE faction(sicily) in descr_strat.txt , works like a charm but note that the test Smithyis1337 conducted works with NE factions aswell only the levels above wooden_palisade are bugged.

Default Re: adding new regions causing CTD during siegebat

The only thing wooden pallisades don't have compared to the rest of the walls is the gate_strength param.

Tried commenting that out? The crash at EXACTLY that point seems a bit too coincidental.

Keep us posted, have not gotten to testing this myself.

Do you also check your logs for warnings etc btw, even if it seems to run OK?
    There is quite a lot of stuff you might miss, if you only check when it really crashes, I mean. Wrong level walls for settlement type, etc etc.

Take it you do, but just in case. Also if you use it in a mod switch dir, try the same thing in a vanilla setup - it might be something in one of the files LATER supplied by CA, that is slightly out of kilter with the *released* version M2TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurius View Post
    The only thing wooden pallisades don't have compared to the rest of the walls is the gate_strength param.

Tried commenting that out? The crash at EXACTLY that point seems a bit too coincidental.

tested.
    the crash occurs even when using siege towers and ladders, so the strength param could not be the issue,
    it crash at the point just before when the event speech should take place, :hmmm:

we keep on testing.

Quote Originally Posted by jojje View Post
    tested.
    the crash occurs even when using siege towers and ladders, so the strength param could not be the issue,
    it crash at the point just before when the event speech should take place, :hmmm:

we keep on testing.
    AH, that sounds like the event speeches were regionalised, like in descr_sound_music_types.txt in the base folder - need to add your region there too, btw.

There is probably some similar file for event speeches, that differs from RTW in the sense that its now faction/culture specific, and it misses your new region or something.

Why it works as southern_european tho, is beyond me. Maybe that's what it defaults to, dunno.

Sounds like the speech event, indeed, anyway. :hmmm:

[edit] maybe the MUSIC itself is the culprit here - it depends not on faction_creator, but on default faction in descr_regions (!), maybe change that to northeren_european one as well...
    Last edited by Spurius; December 11, 2006 at 04:50 AM.

Aye the music was the culprit , when we added our new regions in descr_sound_music_types.txt in the base folder under the same faction stated as creator in descr_strat.txt and in descr_regions.txt(denmark in this case) it works fine and dandy, as for why it works with southern_european it's because both sicily that we tested and slave are listed under that category in descr_sound_music_types.txt.
    Last edited by el_cahrro; December 11, 2006 at 11:01 AM.

Default Re: SOLVED:adding new regions causing CTD during siegebattles

You guys should seriously make your own games. I can't follow a word of what you're saying. I hoped I could read this and simply tell how to add regions, but you guys talk about the music files, mercenary files, etc etc............... I have to edit all of them?

Lets just say I want to create Tel Aviv in Israel and give it to the rebels. What do I do?