Thread: install issues and questions about MOE

Totalize's Avatar Libertus

Default install issues and questions about MOE

I just spent hours downloading all the MOE files and following the limited instructions for "installing" the MOD. The instructions are not a guide to install because all it says is to unzip the billion files into the data directory and associated scripts folder. Unlike LME there's no MOD launcher, I assume one has to to just launch the napoleon app.exe file that comes with the game and it's suppose to work???? As I was unzipping the multitude of files I was getting requests for overwrites of files that looked like the one's I was unzipping. At any rate I proceeded and the put all the files in their data folder and map files in their appropriate folders. I then went to launch NTW and the LME Launch screen popped up. No go. I then uninstalled LME and went to launch NTW and it crashed. So, now I have a non working version of NTW since downloading MOE and unzipping the files into the data directory.

Steph, this is bad. Now I have no way of figuring out why the game won't launch which means my only alternative is to delete the game and re-install a fresh copy. Seriously is there some minutely better way to get your mod other than the risky means you set out in this forum???

I can post screen shots of my data folder if anyone thinks they can fix this Cluster F.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: MOE a nightmare to install if you can call it that

So, you are basically telling me that you are not able to download files, unzip all of them in a folder, and start the game normally? I don't have more to add to the "installation guide" because that's all you need to do if you start with a vanilla game.

And then that when you start you get the LME launch screen?
    It didn't occur to you that since you get LME launcher, maybe LME is interfering in some way? You install LME, then NTW crashes, but it's the fault of my mod? Surely there is no possibility that you did something wrong when uninstalling LME?

MoE is very simple to uninstall. Just delete all the files starting from MoE_ from your data folder, and remove the lines starting with MoE_ from the userscript.
    Contrary to LME or DarthMod, since there is no launcher, it also means I'm not messing in anyway with the original files. I just add new files. Remove them and you are safe. Actually, you don't even need to remove my files, removing the lines from the userscript is sufficient. I do that regularly to test the game in vanilla version, or with my mod.

If you have an unclean version of NTW, it's not coming from MoE.

A little suggestion I can give. Rule 1. Always keep a copy as for back-up of NTW. and make a folder and call it (OriginalNTWbackUp) this version is clean with no previous mods that may change the files.
    And for all your new Mods make Folders of you zip, and unzipped files. Example (ModMoEbackup) folder. So if things get messed up you just have to copy and paste all the files to have a new clean start. And stay calm and composed.
    If you have failed once, than try again.
    Just an easy point of advice.
    Last edited by Steveholmes; March 15, 2016 at 01:11 PM.

Steph,

First of all, thank you for replying to my post. Your MOD is a few years old now but it's nice to see you are still active in addressing qusestions, frustrations etc. about your MOD.

As I delved deeper into the process, I believe it appears that LME caused some conflicts. My apologies for mis-directing my frustration at your MOD.

I have re-installed a fresh copy of NTW on my other computer. I am going to Take Steven's advise as well and make a backup copy of the NTW folder for future trouble shooting. I am going to reinstall your MOD per your instructions. However, your instructions don't make mention of the MOE_nap_europe files/folder which I believe is suppose to go in the Campaign Maps folder? Did I miss this in your instructions?

Patrician Artifex

• Unzip each file in the Napoleon Towal War Installation folder , data sub folder. Something like "Steam\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war\data"

If you look at MoE_campaign file for example you can the files are not directly in the zip, but inside a campaigns/MoE_eur_napoleon folder. So if you unzip directly in the data folder, you'll get them in

data/campaigns/MoE_eur_napoleon, where it should go.

Ast I said, just download and unzip everything in data. And copy the userscript, also provided. It's not more complex than that.

The only difficulty is the number of files to download. The mod is too big to but as one one file, especially since I'm updating it regularly, and when I make a small correction, I'd rather upload only one 50 mb file, than uploading again 2 Gb. And I'm sure you prefer to download the small modified file and not the whole package again!

I started the mod some years ago, but you can see I publish updates from time to time, and sometimes there's only a few days between two corrections

Beside make it in small files allow having something modular: other moders could get only the uniforms for one faction for example.

your instructions state 16 individual files. But there are much more listed even if I take out the non english speaking voices. Which are mandatory and which are optional?? Should I definitely download all the UI, Textures and variants for each faction?

Patrician Artifex

you have two options:
    _ download each files except the green ones (so all the individual files)
    - or download the green lines first (it's a zip with several files inside), and then all the yellow and orange files. You are right, I forgot to update the number there are more than 16. These files are all the files modified after I upload the packages.

There are only 3 optionnal files, but I recommend using them anyway.

From time to time, after a big update, I make the large packages again. The next time is planne after I finish updating the German minors uniforms.

Thank you for your response. So, I downloaded and unzipped just the four green files only On my fresh/vanilla copy of NTW. I was going to unzip all the ones under the individual section but thanks for telling me I do not have to do this.

You may wish to change the instructions in your link to include your statement above for future users who want to try your Mod.

MOE Up and running with no issues at the moment. Just tinkering with changing unit sizes to full battalion 500-700 men per battalion/regiment and larger army sizes.