Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Age and Linux

Default Third Age and Linux

Greetings, I recently bought medieval 2 for linux and want to try out the Third Age mod. Here is how I did it.

My system is running Ubuntu 15.10, but this should work with any that of course can run the base game.

First you should run the base game and make sure it works properly before hand. You might need new drivers.

Second, you need to get wine. How you do this depends on your distro, for ubuntu you run a simple command
    sudo apt-get install wine
    and if it asks you if you want to install anything else, say yes.

Then you download the .exe's from the Third Age download links 3.0 part 1&2 then 3.2 patch.

Once downloaded right click the part 1 .exe and -Open With -> Wine Program Loader. Make sure to install it to a place you will remember. I installed it to a new folder in my home folder called TAW.
    You do this with part 2 and the patch, same destination.

Once you do that you open up your terminal and cd into mod folder itself, so for me it was cd TAW/mods/Third* once there you will want to run this command
    find ./ -depth -exec rename 's/(.)/([/])/$1/\L$2/' {} \;
    the reason being is that this command will make everything in that folder lowercase. Apparently its a requirement. It'll take awhile with the blinking cursor so sit tight and wait. After its done make sure to rename the actual mod folder to lower case as well
    Third_Age_3 to third_age_3
    copy and paste the third_age_3 folder into the actual mod folder in steam. for me it was /home/name/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Medieval II Total War/share/data/mods

the steam folder may be hidden inside your home folder. In Ubuntu you simply ctrl+h, I'm not sure on other distros.

once you copied and pasted the third_age_3 folder into the mods folder, the last step is with steam. Right click Medieval 2 -> Properties -> Set Launch Options
    "--features.mod=mods/third_age_3"
    with the quotations.

That should be it, you then start Medieval 2 normally and should see the Third Age start up.

Sources: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...ng_medieval_2/
    Last edited by Ngugi; March 13, 2016 at 03:21 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Third Age and Linux

Thanks for sharing, sys0p

Edit: added a link to this thread in the "Third Age - Total War 3.2 Released"-thread's install instructions.
    Last edited by Ngugi; March 13, 2016 at 03:43 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I am a complete Linux noob, but this is how I do it

My O.S:
    Arch linux, latest kernel, free drivers, really low resources PC,
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1- Install wine. (with all its dependencies if you're a paranoid like me).
    Open your terminal and type sudo pacman -S wine wine-mono wine_gecko winetricks
    or
    Search "wine" in your favorite software/package manager. (I mean ubuntu/linux mint software manager, octopi, etc)

2- Open your terminal, type winecfg (wine configuration) to... configure wine. But you dont have to configure anything, actually. This screen appears.:

You just can click "Accept". On the tab below you can choose which version of windows you want to use. The default is windows XP. I use windows 7 just in case. 32 bits version. Unfortunatelly wine can not handle x64 yet.

This is what wine has done (select "see the hidden" in your file manager)

Now you have a C drive where you can install anything you want (more or less).

3 - Insert your Medieval total war disc (steam users, unisntall steam: Steam is evil). Now you can see this

(The disc inserted is Kingdoms, but come on, imagine its Med 2 first disc). Right click with your mouse on the setup.exe icon, select open with - wine. And... installation begins. The sega installer automatically points to the right place (In my case:/home/antonio/.wine/drive_c). (antonio, because thats my name and thats the name of my directory. In your case it may be /home/soren/.wine/drive_c or /home/marcus/.wine/drive_c, I dont know, how would I? Remove disc 1, insert disc two when requiered, click accept to "install drivers", or update or whatever (do not worry if a message appears saying a fault has occurred), and Medieval 2 is installed on your linux OS. Now do the same with Kingdoms (please). Kingdoms installed? Fine. Updated to v. 1.05? Perfect.
    Now, to check that everything is in order, I usually start a kingdoms campaign (crusader, teutonic, whatever: remember you have to install one of this campaigns to create the "mods" folder in your installation). I mentioned that my computer sucks and I use free (non-propietary) drivers, but anyway I can playperfectly with medium/high video options and normal units size.

Now, to prevent problems that may arise (this is a advice I've read by some modders) lets copy the SEGA file we have here /home/antonio/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86) here /home/antonio/.wine/drive_c . Its just a copy-paste, takes only a few minutes, and a prudent man is worth two. (Literall translation of a spanish saying).

4 - Eeehh... you should download the mod you want to install.

5 - You have downloaded your mod (Three .exes in this case, TATW_3.0_Part1of2exe, TATW_3.0_Part2of2exe and TATW_3.2_Patch.2exe). Right click on your downloaded TATW_3.0_Part1of2exe, select open with - wine and start the installation, BUT, be carefull, mon amie, because the installer will point to program files (/home/antonio/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/SEGA/Medieval II Total War) and we want to install it outside program files (thats why we copied it before). All you have to do is delete the underlined words (/home/antonio/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/SEGA/Medieval II Total War). Now, installation is pointed at the right place /home/antonio/.wine/drive_c/SEGA/Medieval II Total War. Same thing with part2of2exe and with the patch. And there it is: Third Age Total War installed and working on your PC. Click the icon created on your desktop or search in your desktop menu, and play.

----------------------------

The process is really simple, may not look so because of my difficulties with this language, my relative ignorance about linux (probably I have used the wrong phrase or term here or there) or simply because I have not known how to be clear and concise, but I assure you: Installing Medieval 2 (the good old windows discs), with most mods (I have had problems only with one, I will try again to see what happened) on linux is something really simple and brief.
    Of course any correction or addition to the "guide" above will be welcomed.
    Last edited by mishkin; June 13, 2016 at 07:02 AM.

Hello, I followed these instructions and third age total war worked minus the movies. However, I noticed that whenever i told my axe throwers (I was playing as dwarves) to throw axes the game would crash. I am using third age total war 3.2. thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Asad3ainJalout View Post
    Hello, I followed these instructions and third age total war worked minus the movies. However, I noticed that whenever i told my axe throwers (I was playing as dwarves) to throw axes the game would crash. I am using third age total war 3.2. thank you for the help.
    The issue was with the fact that I was using steam. The fix is found here. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Throwing-crash

i put in the command and this fills my console
    Unmatched right square bracket at (eval 1) line 1, at end of line
    syntax error at (eval 1) line 1, near "s/(.)/([/]"

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrkillerjack View Post
    Since thats not specifically a linux isue, maybe you shoul ask about that in the general Bug (Reports) & Technical Help subforum

Quote Originally Posted by mrkillerjack View Post
    Try this:

find ./ -depth -exec rename 's/(.*)\/([^\/]*)/$1\/\L$2/' {} \;
    Last edited by Teodosio; July 07, 2016 at 07:07 PM.

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Teodosio View Post
    Try this:

find ./ -depth -exec rename 's/(.*)\/([^\/]*)/$1\/\L$2/' {} \;
    After much trial and error I found out that my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS O.S. would not follow the terminal command. Whatever I tried, however I tried, the command didn't work. I checked that by opening the folders afterwards and noticing that many files were still capitalized. So either the command doesn't work/needs something different typed on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or I do something wrong. I even read carefully and applied all the guidelines found here (also mentioned in the first post) and failed to start the mod.

This led me to try a different approach using the Internet's collective wisdom. I found out pyRenamer, a handy little application one can download from Ubuntu Software Center. It has many may uses but most of them is irrelevant to the purpose of playing TATW. After making all files and folders downcase, everything worked perfectly. Well, except for the videos, which either are out of place or don't play at all. I haven't checked custom settlement yet, but I will do it as soon as possible.

I hope this helps people like me (not used to Ubuntu...) to not get frustrated.

EDIT 1: If you want play a TATW submod, check this post from the Divide and Conquer thread. It worked for DaC, but I believe it will work equally well for any submod. It worked for Thera too.

EDIT 2: It also worked for four other mods. The trick is to install it in another folder (as the OP wisely states), downcase it there with pyRenamer, and then copy/paste it in the mods folder, alongside brittania, americas etc.
    Another trick I learned the hard way is to allow yourself full access in all folders associated with the installation prior to the installation, especially in the case of a submod.
    Last edited by Socrates1984; January 09, 2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Clarifications and more info

If someone's having trouble, this seems relatively foolproof and even almost readable by a layman. Won't work for files that have a newline its name, but that hopefully shouldn't happen.

find . -depth |grep [[:upper:]] | while read x;do
    mv "$x" "`tr [:upper:] [:lower:] <<< $x`"
    done

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Here is a python script to fix filenames, much faster than shell scripts:

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/python

import os, sys

def lowercase(root):
        for name in os.listdir(root):
            path = root + "/" + name
            if (not name.islower()):
                newpath = root + "/" + name.lower()
                print "rename " + path + " to " + newpath
                os.rename(path, newpath)
                path = newpath
            if (os.path.isdir(path)):
                lowercase(path)

rootdir = sys.argv[1]
    lowercase(rootdir)
    just invoke it with python lowercase.py DIR

Hi Socrates 1984
    Any news on the custome settlements?
    I would love that.

Citizen

Hi c.l.!

It wasn't expected but the battle at Dol Guldur played all right! I don't know about other settlements, but I see no reason for them not to work. Now I know there are some rumors about 64 bit OS not playing the custom battles, but I don't confirm this. If you need any more detailed info about my PC specifics and the procedures for managing to play both the game and the custom settlements, feel free to ask me.

Thats interesting, because some settlements worked and some didnt. I will take a look at the dol guldur maps. I know that Maps like Osgiliath and Minas Morgul dont work. I try to reinstall it the same way as you did.

I have a 64bit OS.

Ty for the info

I just tried it. Osgiliath is still not working. The Game Crashes without a error or notification at all. I'm really disapointed by Feral for this port....In my opinion are the Mods the selling point of this game.

I have no idear of modding, but i really want to get DaC running on Linux. Anything i could do to help, tell me.

I already tried to run Dac on Linux before and took some advise from the EBII-Linux-User's.
    I put everything i found in this Thread

Maybe some of that info is helpfull for you.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ight=Dac+linux

Hey,
    thanks for the instructions. Helped me a lot!
    Sadly the linux port is pretty weak with mods and submods.
    I have the feeling the game slows down a lot and crashs do happen.

Especially with DAC. (Fantastic mod btw, amazing what these guys did last years)

Citizen

Yes, DaC is one of the best mods out there. I firmly believe this as you can see from my signature...

Sadly, I too have confirm that some settlements, including the Osgiliaths, don't work. Besides, I confirm that DaC is slow to the point of frustration even when doing as simple things as strolling around in the strat map. Lowering the graphs doesn't seem to work and it lessens the desirability of the mod anyway.

I have contacted Feral Interactive for another matter (unpacking the game, which by the way seems to be a major oversight) and I plan on bothering them in any possible way, because as c.l. said:

In my opinion are the Mods the selling point of this game.
    So, yes, it's in their interest to make mods more easily playable for MED2TW, because word of mouth alongside a marketing strategy can surely be fruitful for their denari coffins...

Dac is actually the reason i bought this game. Played it for a really long time.

I Contated Feral games in Oktober as well about the issue with the Custome settlements and thats the respond i got. They actually put a link in the E.Mail that leads to this thread

Sam Gardener
    (Feral Interactive Support)

Oct 10, 15:19 BST
    Hi ............

At the moment the Mods for Medieval II: Total War are not supported by Feral. Due to the age of the game there is no Steam workshop available for this game either.

The best I can suggest is to view the Total War Center forums to see if anyone has managed to get this working via Linux.

I have found this link that may be of interest:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Age-and-Linux

Best regards,
    Samuel Gardener
    Feral Interactive Support
    Worldwide +44 (0)20 8875 9787
    USA 1-888-997-6752 (Toll Free)

Citizen

Well, c.l., I just received the answer to my -different- question and the scope is the same: We do not support mods, so, sorry. I cannot really blame them, but this doesn't mean that we can't create a campaign, sign a statement, a petition or something like that to put pressure on them. If they know the existence of this forum, they sure know that we are not the only ones to have this kind of problems.

Maybe it will be all in vain, but there is only one way to find out. When I gather a few more bits of info, I will come back with more.
    Last edited by Socrates1984; December 19, 2016 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast