Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223243964 ... LastLast

Thread: Your EB Empire

Default Re: Your EB Empire

Quote Originally Posted by charles the hammer View Post
    i have to conquer them into a ceasefire which i did but right when i go to conquer it the parthians attack so know im at war with them and decided to conquer them then ill finally get that last province
    lol. I hate when that happens. You've allocated all your military resources into a war with a neighbouring faction, or annexing a few regions, and BAM! Another neighbour goes to war with you and you haven't quite yet developed enough to be able to fight substantially on two fronts.

This is my Carthaginian Campaign in H/H. The year is 234BC.

I started this campaign by removing the already installed systems of Government in Southern Iberia, and replacing them as allied kingdoms so I could just recruit client rulers there and not have to worry about public order, given their distance from Kart-Hadast. I also took the general from Mastia, and Lilibeo, so that I could put them into my main army out of Carthage, and just use a heap of Generals Bodyguard units in lieu of sacred band cavalry which I couldn't recruit yet. Given that I'd used Poeini Citizen Militia in the early stages of the M/M campaign I posted above earlier, I knew how terrible they were, even for Medium difficulty, so there was no way I was using them as anything other than garrison troops in a H/H campaign. I disbanded all of them, save for one unit each in a few settlements, and spent the rest of my money creating Libyan Spearmen and Liby-Phoenecian infantry.
    Initially this was a fairly expensive move to make, but later on really didn't matter, as now that Mauritania, and the rest of North-West Africa are all allied kingdoms under my faction. Having so many client kingdoms with allied/client generals meant that I could spend less time developing buildings for public order (temples, garrison posts, other monumnets, etc), and start them off by strongly developing the local economic infrastructure with roads, mines, farms, trading ports, etc. The two factions in southern Iberia (Gader and Mastia I believe) both have fully developed gold veins/mines, as well as all of North-West Africa, Alalia and I think maybe Lepki, too, if you can build them there.
    Once I'd finished doing this I was absurdley rich, and the Romans had already taken Cisalpine Gaul and were expanding into Transalpine Gaul and the Dalmatian coastline. They also had a strong economy. I decided it was time to stop them before they grew too far and numerous for me, so I took my experienced army and retrained it in Kart-Hadast (I could recruit sacred band cavalry at this point, so I replaced all the generals in this army save for the faction leader), and sent him to Sicily to beseige Syracuse while I created a second army.
    Using the second army I sent it to Sicily to beseige Messana. I waited the seige out on both cities, as I wanted to save as many as possible for when I did run into the Romans eventually. I did much the same with Rhegion. Once Sicily and the southern tip of Italy were firmly under allied kingdoms, I moved for Taras and Capua. Taras was very poorly defended, so my King's/Faction leader's army took it quite easily, while I beseiged Capua hoping to lure the Romans into an open field battle, as this army had about five units of Elite African Phalanx with some sacred band infantry, elite Liby-Phonecian infantry and Sacred band cavalry, which proved to be a powerful combination for pinning and flanking maneuvers. While doing this, I created two more armies, and bolstered one of the slightly depleted armies in Italy with mercenary heavy Samnite swordsmen.
    I now had four full sized armies comprised of various types of heavy infantry, spearmen, phalanx troops and heavy cavalry, but was still making about 11,000 mnai per turn. It was obvious to me that spending so much time developing trade and production amongst my colonies was really quite literally paying off.
    That pretty much brings it up to where I am now. I've taken Arrettium, Bononia, Ariminum and I've beseiged Segesta.
    When I beseiged, then captured Ariminum, it was quite well defended, and I subsequently lost about 1/3-3/7 of that Army, which I'll soon either bolster with reinforcements and mercenaries, or just merge with another army in the region.
    Last edited by kdub22; January 22, 2009 at 11:56 PM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

My first campaign ever on EB, I started to play yesterday as Baktria. I took the Seleucid town to my west and the two south. I also took Marakanda from the Saka Rauka, managed to get a few heroics out of that.
    It's great fun and I love the history involved. Screenies when I take another settlement or two, nobody wants to see my 5 cities

Tsar Brodsky's Avatar Libertus

I don't think I've ever seen anyone conquer the whole map in a TW game. I mean sure I've beaten the game a few a times but I never had the perseverance to go all the way. That's pretty impressive.
    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." Voltaire

Primicerius

Look here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...=101742&page=9
    Post number 267. He's conquered the entire map with the Saka.

Tons of people have conquered the entire map in vanilla, and I've seen a few in the RS forum as well.

SPQR 190BC

I saved the KH from destruction by giving them Byzantion 1 turn before Epeiros captured their last city.
    I gave Casse settlement in Belgium back in 220BC and look at them now, they are fighting a fullstack war with Sweboz now.
    Talking about the Sweboz, After I drove them back 230-220BC across the Alps and gave those settlements to the Arverni and Casse they've been quiet. Now, suddenly turning up out of nowhere, they are laying siege to Buridava and Sigudunum (sp.).
    Pahlava is doing great!!! Seleukies won't last that long anymore, I'm afraid.
    Baktria is starting to eat up Saka, they are allied to Pahlava.
    The Ptolies are beginning to push back Pontos, I don't like that...

You're going to have one hell of a war with Ptolies. I always hated fighting them, good luck.

So far so good with the Ptolies.

SPQR 180 BC

wow impressive

Seleucid Empire VH/VH - 253 BC. Man, all these HA are giving me headaches. And i cant sleep at night after deliberatly giving Alexandreia-Eschate to Saka Rauka.

... Which gave them superb cavalry units with more then 30 defense points.

Through looking at all of these ive noticed that no one plays as any of the Galic factions... Im playing as the Arverni reuniting gaul from Aedui and then trying not to catch it from Roma... its awesome! and challaging too, cuz you dont start with ANY port cities, and your towns are tiny, except Gergovia... plus Swebos to the north... im suprised... were the gauls really that bad in vanilla
    plus Vercingetorix is my hero, seeing as my last name is Gerg... yeah...
    *Venienti Occurrite Morbo*
    Meet The Misfortune As It Comes
    -Latin Proverb-

"A house of judgment so divine,"
    "That we burn our brothers!"
    -Unearth - Hail the Shrine-

Quote Originally Posted by Killergold88 View Post
    Through looking at all of these ive noticed that no one plays as any of the Galic factions... Im playing as the Arverni reuniting gaul from Aedui and then trying not to catch it from Roma... its awesome! and challaging too, cuz you dont start with ANY port cities, and your towns are tiny, except Gergovia... plus Swebos to the north... im suprised... were the gauls really that bad in vanilla
    plus Vercingetorix is my hero, seeing as my last name is Gerg... yeah...
    I'll probably start one eventually. All the time I get bored with playing the same campaign for ages and just start a new one. Sooner or later I'll start playing as Aedui or Averni I spose. Maybe Casse.

Been playin' out the Romani from the start thus far and am in 231 BC (H/H) at the moment. As I stated in my introductory post in the EB forum, I had started off my campaign by headin' out to Taras. Little did I know at the time that it would drag me into a war with the Greeks!

Epeiros didn't take very kindly to me takin' Taras from them and interrupted my sweep that I had initiated into Sicily (which props for the little advisor note on the 'Punic sphere of influence' violation and the eventual war with Carthage for continuing to invade!) with some harrasment all along my coast from their navy. Seeing as how I didn't have much in the way of naval power since my efforts were concentrated on ground pounding into Sicily and northwards into Gaul, I decided that the best way to deal with Epeiros was to float over the Adriatic to Greece and force them to fight with troops while I worked up a navy. Risky since my troop centers and my naval stations were one in the same, I'd have to move quickly to secure a foothold in Greece so as to reinforce my legion that I had recalled from Gaul to serve as my invasion force. Ambrakia ended up being my target.

Upon landing, I found the settlement relatively easy to take what with only a few hoplites and slingers there. Ambrakia fell easily within 2 seasons, but that was the only thing that would be easy about my time in Greece.

Now, my legion that invaded already had a bit of experience from fighting northwards towards Gaul. Good thing too, otherwise the first few years holding Ambrakia wouldn't have probably been possible. Epeiros proceeded to spam stack after stack. They endured for awhile, but I decided to pull them out and retrain them to replenish their ranks as most of them now were of 3 bronze or one silver chevron rank. I left behind couple Principes and a mix of various mercenary units in what would prove to be a futile attempt to keep the settlement. The settlement fell just as soon as I loaded my troops back onto the transport to send them back on their way into the fight. When I finally reached Ambrakia again, I found it in the same sort of condition when I had originally landed and took it once again. This time I wasn't hit with waves of Epeiros stacks.

Instead I found that they'd turned their attention to Makedonia, which they'd been very busy with! Immediately, I struck up relations with Makedonia. They were pretty quick to agree to an Alliance and Military Access (along with some coin to seal the deal), at which we began to hack away at the surrounding Epeiros settlements. I ended up taking Pella and the settlement just north of Ambrakia while Makedonia fought skirmishes in open country. Things were going good, albeit bloody, for both of us.

Obviously seeing an opportunity for conquest, Koinon Hellenon started to take out Makedonia from the south. I stood at a crossroads, seeing an opportunity unfold that would mean leaving my ally to fend for himself on one front. I eithe could hit the Hellenon from the rear and pick up after them and claim some prime realestate in the Mediterranean, or continue onwards with the rather large Makedonian forces towards Byzantion in an effort to wipe out Epeiros.

I decided it to be in my favor to keep the region in a little bit of chaos and let Epeiros and Makedonia slug it out while I went and dealt with Koinon Hellenon. Didn't take long for my troops to take control of Spartae, Korinthos, and Athenai. This left Rhodos as the last stronghold of the Koinon Hellenon, which I blockaded their port and am probably going to let them rot until their armies become upset by the lack of pay (pretty gnarly stacks sittin' there!).

Which brings us to the here and now. At the moment, I'm in control of the entire Italian peninsula, the majority of Greece, the two Sardinian islands and 2/3rds of Sicily. Just really a matter of time until I control Sicily, just waiting the Carthaginians out there at the moment. What's going to be interesting later is the eventual confrontation between myself and Makedonia once Epeiros is out of the picture. What I may do is declare peace with Epeiros and let Makedonia fight em and come in behind Makedonia and seize their lands. Probably going to have to be quick about it though since Makedonia is getting ambitious and is striking out further into Turkey.

Good story bumblebee

well the crazy thing about this game is the fact that you can only build navys at certain points, and whats really odd is it apparently has to do with your faction too... so a naval strugle with Carthage will be tough...

I managed to reuinite Gaul under my Averni flag and their major port city, that they had built a navy in... i cant do anything with...

A tumble with Makedonia will be interesting, and keep an eye on Gaul because if one tribe unites it all they march straight into either Italy or Iberia, but most of their victory conditions are in italy... so while your wrestling Phallanx, fanatical warriors may strike from behind.
    -Latin Proverb-

A tumble with Makedonia will be interesting, and keep an eye on Gaul because if one tribe unites it all they march straight into either Italy or Iberia, but most of their victory conditions are in italy... so while your wrestling Phallanx, fanatical warriors may strike from behind.
    Sure enough, I have a situation similar to this, but let's pick up where we left off...

Where we last left our fledgling Roman Empire, we were in a joint conflict with Makedonia against the Epeiros and had them on the run, the Koinon Hellenon had been beaten off and left to their solitary island city, and Carthage was slowly losing their grip on Sicily. 229 BC saw the Romani in control of Sicily with the forces in Lilibeo giving up without any resistance, giving way to allow the settlement to become a bustling economic port along with it's two neighboring cities on Sicily, as well as it's Sardinian cousins to the north. Once I had secured the island, I sent a diplomat off to Carthage to call an end to the war. It took some coin to convince them that my annexation of the islands was going to be a permanent settlement, but peace was established and trade was resumed as it had been prior to my invasion of the Punic sphere.

Turning my attention back to the east, we still had a situation to resolve in terms of who the major powers were going to be around Byzantion. Romani had major holdings in the area, governing most of the settlements from Spartae to Pella with Makedonia holding Chalkis and Demetrias as well as laying some new claims in Turkey. Epeiros Looked to be in control of Tylis and Byzantion, and were backing down from the might of the Romani legions. I opened up negotiations with them, calling for a peace accord as well as trade rights to turn a little higher profit in the region. At first they demanded several of their settlements, but they agreed after a bit of haggling with a coin reimbursement. Makedonia continued on it's war of aggression against Epeiros from what I could see at this point, allowing me to let the two destablize a bit before I sweep them both away.

The Polybian reforms were now in effect which allowed me to construct a legion that would march forth into Gaul as I had started to do around about 60 years earlier. With a new stack of infantry and archers with a little bit of cavalry support produced from several population centers from the heart of Italy, I struck northwards into the heart of Aedui territory. Most of it was settlement sieging as I rarely encountered any forces of siginificant size to be considered a threat. All the while I had another stack making it's way westward towards Iberia to claim it for the empire. Things were looking up for the Romani and their eventual conquest of Europa.

Things started to become interesting when Makedonia and Epeiros declared a ceasefire. Were my plans for the east falling apart? Did the Greeks just decide that peace was a preferable alternative to annhilating each other? I'd say it was some sort of mutual loathing for Arche Seleuekia as both of them were making strong headway in turkey and beyond. I didn't think much of this at first, but I was feeling it several years later.

Epeiros was back, and they wanted blood. The next decade saw losses of Romani provinces in Greece, beating me back to the Greek peninsula at Athenai. I managed to halt the Epeiros advance there, but I haven't been able to do much to regain my provinces. Reinforcements from the homeland are on their way, but it's lookin' like I'm in for the next great Epeiros conflict. This time however, the Romani may have to eliminate them from the known world.

I love the way you tell your story as if its already written in a history book, but happening now at the same time.
    You should post a pic of the mini if you can, just so people can "see" progress

Is it my understanding that you already own a major portion of Southern Gaul to be able to push to Iberia?
    -Latin Proverb-

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

My Epirus Campaign...

Started off by pulling everything out of Italy that I could and focused on taking out Macedon. I set up camp around Pella with Pyrrhus + Heir's combined armies and waited for Macedonian reinforcements to come (I hate assaulting walls, so I generally either starve the enemy out or decimate them on the field along with another army). Sure enough, the bastards sent about half a stack to save their capital. After the battle, both their field army and the Pellic garrison were dead, and at the end of the season, Pyrrhus walked into the old Macedonian capital. There he was crowned Basileos of Makedon, but throughout all the festivities after his coronation, Pyrrhus knew the fight was not over...

And so, we marched south. Down from those great hills which had served as home and birthplace for both Philippos and Mégas Aléxandros; down into the open country of Thessaly. There we were to spend the next two years, waiting...waiting for the enemy to come for us; and while we knew they were coming, we knew not when to expect them...

And then that fateful day arrived...that fateful day where thousands shed their blood and thousands died, all in the name of their own, respective king. The Makedonian dynasty had arrived with all it had left to muster: two full armies, headed by Antigonos the usurper himself. Pyrrhus led his sole army against them; not entirely sure he could win it. And yet, the Gods themselves knew that once the battle was over, and the carrion birds were feasting on the still-warm carcases of Tarantines, Arganians, Illyrians, Macedonians, and Chaoians, one of those desperate scavengers would no doubt, inadvertently, perch on the ornately-crafted armor of one of those kings as it pecked out the man's eyes...

The Macedonian dynasty ended that day; all the men who could hold some claim to the throne were killed, and thus, Pyrrhus assumed sole power over the Macedonian homelands. Afterwards, Pyrrhus and his fresh dynasty expanded their control over all of Greece. Thermon and Delphi were the last polises to submit to Molossian domination. The final years of Thermon's independence were marked by several insults to the Molossian empire, and so; that same day that Pyrrhus' phantalgites marched triumphantly through the city, Thermon burned for all eyes to see - a message to all those who would wish to oppose the Dynasty.

Over time, Greece grew fat with riches, and so too did the Molossian Dynasty. Schools were built in all corners of Greece to spread fresh ideas as well as ancient wisdom to young minds. The Molossians then began expanding into Asia, hoping to further legitimize their nation as a successor to Alexander. But this was short-lived, as the heirs to Ptolemy I, fresh from major successes against the Seleucid Empire, sought to expand their empire into Asia as well. The Molossians had not prepared for such a calamity, and so, were beaten back until reinforcements were brought in from the mainland.

In response to the Ptolemiac aggression, a young general, fresh out of the Spartan agoge, led an army into Africa, to confront the enemy on their own soil. His army was composed of only the most elite forces the Molossians could afford, and boasted some of the most sophisticated katapeltai ever created. The army landed off the coast of Kyrene and broke into the city before the rest of Aegyptos knew anything about the attack. They then continued along the coast, sacking every city in its path, all the way to Alexandria itself.

There it remains, waiting for the next opportunity to present itself...

EDIT: Year is only 229BC, for those who are interested...
    Last edited by Benz282; March 01, 2009 at 12:53 AM.

Sweboz campaign 217

The Sweboz had spent much of the early 3rd century B.C. quietly uniting the German tribes and maintaining alliances with several of the large nations in the area. Then the Aedui, sensing plunder, attacked. After much difficulty the Celtic invasions were repulsed, only to have the Sweboz's oldest ally, Rome, attack.

It was to be a bloody war of attrition, seemingly without end until several of the Sweboz's greatest warriors led a warband that sacked the entire western coast of Italia. This granted the reprieve needed to wipe out the Aedui and now a line is being held against Rome at the rivers near Massilia and in the Alps.

Since it had been about a year since I played EB (version 8.0 I think) I figured I'd take it easy with a H/M Sweboz game, trying out bi.exe while I was at it. I spent the first few decades conquering homeland settlements and trying to claw my way out of poverty (not discovering that Silengoz started with mines until years into my war with the Aedui).

Then the Aedui attacked, and I learned that the reformed Celtic units are quite a bit better than pre-reform Sweboz units. When Rome turned on me and allied with them I spent a good decade or two fighting battle after battle, usually winning but taking horrendous casualties. Then I went on that sacking spree and used the break and cash to defeat the Aedui. Every once in a while I'd wonder if maybe H was too easy a campaign difficulty, then 1 or 2 full stacks of troops I wish I could afford would attack my weakened and overstretched army.

Taking all of Gaul has given me smaller fronts to defend, mainly the bridge next to Massilia and the passage through the Alps (although the latter hasn't seen much activity lately...). My army at Masillia keeps being pounded by full stacks of Polybian troops and it looks like the Lusotannan are about to attack...good times.

Just holding on until 192 and the reforms. I want to see how those new troops will handle the Roman infantry I've had so much trouble against.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Here's me reaching Antioch with Pahlava by 263 BC on H/M after conquering Persia, Media, Babylonia and Assyria and everything else on the way. Proves that horse archers should be nerfed:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

SPQR 170BC.

I'm currently at peace with everyone except for the Sweboz and what is left of the Charties.
    I've been hoping for the last 70 years that Lusotannan would attack me, but they haven't done so far.
    Looks like I'll have to start a war myself if I want to expand more.

Despite some efforts by me to keep every faction alive, one faction succeeded in commiting suicide in 171BC.

The Averni look near dead too. And who's that round Bosphorus, the Makedonians?
    I havent really got to grips with all the factions in eb yet