Thread: How to add another armour upgrade to units

Default How to add another armour upgrade to units

HOW TO ADD ANOTHER ARMOUR UPGRADE TO UNITS
    REQUIREMENTS: *Text Editor *Already made a BAT file and a mod file (more info on this simple process visit http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...14#post1332314 and click on the modswitch link) *You must have the text files downloaded from the link above.

In this thread I will show you how to add another armour upgrade to any unit you wish to, it's ideal to people who feel sad their unit doesn't have another defence upgrade!

After opening the export_descr_unit.txt do the following:

1-Search for you're unit, the one you want to apply an armour upgrade to. (In this tutorial I will use the Arab Cavalry unit and add a mamluke in plate armour as its last upgrade)

2-After you find the Arab Cavalry, you must add the colored things:
    (Scroll down)
    Code:
    type             Arab Cavalry
    dictionary       Arab_Cavalry      ; Arab Cavalry
    category         cavalry
    class            light
    voice_type       Light
    banner faction   main_cavalry
    banner holy      crusade_cavalry
    soldier          Arab_Cavalry, 32, 0, 1
    mount            heavy horse
    mount_effect     elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge
    formation        2, 4.4, 3, 6, 3, square, wedge
    stat_health      1, 0
    stat_pri         9, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex      0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         9, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex      0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  4, 5, 4, leather
    ;stat_armour_ex   4, 5, 7, 0, 5, 4, 4, leather
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        0
    stat_ground      0, 1, -6, -1
    stat_mental      5, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 45
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 510, 175, 100, 75, 510, 4, 120
    armour_ug_levels 1, 2, 3, 4
    armour_ug_models Arab_Cavalry, Arab_Cavalry_ug1, Arab_Cavalry_ug2, Mamluks_ug2
    ownership        moors, egypt, slave
    era 0            moors, egypt
    era 1            moors, egypt
    era 2            moors, egypt
    ;unit_info        9, 0, 13
    The Mamluks_ug2 is the armour upgrade model which the arab cavalry will use when upgraded to the last, the "4" i added will be the 3rd armour upgrade in game ("1" is no upgrade, "2" is the bronze shield upgrade, "3" is the silver upgrade, "4" is the gold) as arab cavalry have silver as max, i added a 4 to make them able to go to gold. You can however add an armour upgrade, but instead of putting an "X_ug2" replace it with the same model used in the previous armour upgrade, that way you can portray the unit using the same kind of armour but better quality (Mount&Blade anyone )

3.Now open the game from you're BAT file, and test you're soldier!

Please note that making new armour models is impossible currently (untill CA figures out how) so you're forced on using existing models, that leads to some bugs. Also if you're asking where Mamluks_ug2 is coming from, i copy/pasted it from the mamluks unit in the same file.

Hope you liked it, ENJOY!
    Last edited by PurpleScotch; December 24, 2006 at 11:53 AM.

Default Re: Tut: How to add another armour upgrade to unit

screenies of how it looks ingame?

Default Re: Tut: How to add another armour upgrade to units

Alternatively you can just add an armor upgrade level and just repeat the last upgrade model.

armour_ug_levels 1, 2, 3, 4
    armour_ug_models Arab_Cavalry, Arab_Cavalry_ug1, Arab_Cavalry_ug2, Arab_Cavalry_ug2

Helps to get those plate armored pikemen closer to reflecting the upgrade, etc.

Nem

Yea, this is if you want a better quality of what your unit already wears, which is useful ... my tut explains also how to add a different model to make a whole new armour upgrade.

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

I have by this method given all units a gold upgrade and for some few a silver. all mercanary have bronze upgrade. took me 5 Hours. ( I also rebalanced price and some unit stats, so it was not so boring in the end)

Thats nice, it's a good idea, might want to release an "Armour upgrade for mercenaries" mod .

TUTORIAL UPDATED <added how to add an armour upgrade not using a different model.

So, if I wanted to give my Polish Hussars a third upgrade setting, to make them "Heavy Hussars", and I wanted them to look like English Demi-Lancers (armor-wise), all I would have to do is follow these steps? I guess I'd have to find the entry for Demi-Lancers and copy that ug model to the Hussar entry? And it just changes their body armor, right? It doesn't affect their shield or weapon or mount? Thanks for your help.

M3rcury15's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Jush View Post
    So, if I wanted to give my Polish Hussars a third upgrade setting, to make them "Heavy Hussars", and I wanted them to look like English Demi-Lancers (armor-wise), all I would have to do is follow these steps? I guess I'd have to find the entry for Demi-Lancers and copy that ug model to the Hussar entry? And it just changes their body armor, right? It doesn't affect their shield or weapon or mount? Thanks for your help.
    Nope this won't work because the faction doesen't recognize the new unit and the units will appear invisible(horses will still be there) however to make the upgrade workable then you need to add this tutorial with mine:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74945 this will put the models in place and the game will recognize the new units.

If you don't use also my tutorial then we can only add upgrades that are in the same faction...