Thread: Need help with turning off disasters

Default Need help with turning off disasters

After a couple of hours played I usually have 3-4 provinces with half movement rate and "build no tower" bug. The only way to avoid that would be to turn off disasters completely (at least storm and earthquake, plague is fine). Anyone knows how to do this? Turning off the event disatsters does not affect the random ones and the red dots in disasters.tga donīt seem to be the trigger either (many disasters in non red dotted regions).

edit: sorry xd
    Last edited by Furin; December 07, 2006 at 06:46 AM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Need help with turning off disasters

Moved to the Mod Workshop as this is a modding issue.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Hi!

Ya, I don't mind the occasional flood or such but I too am getting annoyed with earthquakes. I'm playing on .50ts and am 60 years into the campaign and already I've suffered ridiculous amounts of earthquakes. Usually they kill the odd cardinal or merchant but there's this one quake I can't shake (haha, no pun intended :/). I'm Spain and in the next round I meant to besiege Timbuktu. But I'm constantly getting an earthquake in that region which kills exactly 484 soldiers each time, 3-4 merchants, a cardinal and depending on random seed one of my best generals too. It's really annoying and depressing, because the troops involved are veterans who defended Toulouse from various French attacks, then went on and conquered Marrakesh through three extremely bloody battles in one turn. Following that they repelled my Sicilian allie's backstab attack and since Marrakesh didn't have the logistics to reinforce them they've been on half strength ever since the city was captured from the Moors. What I'm saying is that these guys are heroes to my people and don't deserve such a ridiculous death!

I thought maybe this could be avoided by console command or something? But anyway what I'd also like to know, because I noticed this too;

Quote Originally Posted by Furin View Post
    After a couple of hours played I usually have 3-4 provinces with half movement rate and "build no tower" bug. {...}
    Now I don't know what the tower bug is but I too am having this halfed movement crap as if my paved roads didn't exsist. Why is that? I got no disaster message or similar and I considered it a bug but is this actually intentional?! What's the deal?

Thanks.

It sounds like a bad fluke. You may want to start another campaign and see if it keeps occuring like you described in Spain. Otherwise disastaers are part of the game and really they shouldn't cause alot of damage very often. I think also playing on harder difficulty settings also increases the chances of disasters occuring.
    I speak Latin to God, English to my friends, French to girls, German to my enemies, and Japanese to my PS2.

Creator of the Byzantine Enhancment Mod
    Version: 1.4

One time in RTW I lost two full stacks, about half of my total strength, to an earthquake. I wanted to scream, but my parents were sleeping, and I was supposed to be to.

Ya, it's really odd. I've tried the usual of doing some things differently before ending the turn but the 'random' event still occurs with the same damage, so it's anything but random. Also, this is my third Spanish campaign and apart from the occasional flood in Toulouse I've maybe had one earthquake in the preceeding games in the region, whereas in this one I've probably had around a dozen or more. Of course it is 'random' and can happen anytime but it seems a little overproportionate in this game.

So yeah, starting a new campaign sounds good because apart from the quake I'm not really too fond of the Papal superpower either and I wanted to start a game at .50ts from 1180AD because of gunpowder and Mongols anyway, so, it's fine.

One thing though about the halfed movement, what is that about? Because I've had this in both my previous games (twice in Toulouse and once in Leon region) and it's really annoying. Anything one can do about it?

Edit: Seems the flood is the cause for the halfed movement bug. So I'm just adding this info in for people who likewise want to rid themselves of this 'flood issue' or come across these threads in future. Haven't tested it yet but it seems the file is located in \data\world\maps\base\descr_disasters.txt. It should have a frequency in years for the various disasters and supposedly increasing that number or deleting the entries will undo them. Perhaps someone else has already noted this but if so not in these most common threads on the topic, so the credit goes to tornnight.
    Last edited by darox; April 09, 2007 at 10:41 AM.

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Actually deleting them will cause intermittent CTDs. Just increase the frequency past the number of years in your campaign.

In the TLR case I set it to 905.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to Text Editing and Scripting.

Haven't tried deleting them, but good to know. I've set the frequency of the flood too 500 and Earthquake to 75 or a 100. So far, I've not seen either since. But sadly my campaign is bugged at several places; Cordoba, Algiers and the last I forgot. But still very large provinces and main gateways when travelling via land. :/