Thread: [IB] The Frankish Histories - Salian Frankish AAR

Default [IB] The Frankish Histories - Salian Frankish AAR

I don't have a lot to do at the moment. I am a part-time student interning as an aide to a lobbyist. While I take my duties seriously, in my free time I am going HAM on creative writing and drinking caffeine. You may have read my other extant AAR, Rich Land of Plenty for Europa Barbarorum II. Well I just picked up Invasio Barbarorum (no relation) the other day and I am loving it. I started a campaign as the Franks and I decided to document it as an AAR.

Whereas I foolishly committed myself to update RLP daily, I do not expect to update this AAR as frequently. Nor will this AAR be similarly text-focused, but I expect it will be picture-heavy instead. That said, I hope you enjoy.

Book I
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Chapter 1

Claudius, King of the Salian Franks, welcomes the Roman hostages and introduces them.

[Editor's Note: the Frankish Histories (Res Franci) were composed in the late 4th and early 5th Centuries by Ammianus Marcellinus, an obscure retainer of Ursicinus, commander of the household cavalry (Magister Equitum) during the reign of the Emperors Constantine II and Julian 'the Apostate'. During the Caesarate (vice-imperium) of Julian in Gaul, the Salian Franks were compelled to sign a treaty establishing the Franks as a foedus, or military protectorate, in the Roman province of Belgica (modern-day Belgium). Among various terms of the treaty, the Romans offered a number of hostages as guarantees of peace, one of which was Marcellinus. The Frankish king initially employed the Roman as a chronicler in the Frankish court, and later in other capacities. The Res Franci begins with Marcellinus saluting the commissioner of his history, the Frankish King Claudius, and then picks up with the arrival of Marcellinus at the court of the King in Toxandria.]

First I extend my praise to Claudius, King of Franks, the lord of Toxandria and Gallia Belgica, vanquisher of Saxons, friend to Alemanni, confirmed by Julian Caesar as kin to Rome. I thank him for his mercy, his wisdom, and his beneficence, as the recipient of which I begin the task of compiling this great history of his reign, so that future generations will not forget the deeds done. In honor of his magnanimity, I vow to insert nothing save the very truth, and to omit nothing, however incredible, unless by director order of my patron I am so compelled to avoid the remembrance of some disaster or else edit the records of history for the purpose of cultivating the good virtue and sense of posterity.

In the consulate of Julian Caesar and Constantinus Augustus I arrived in Urbe Agrippinia, that city of the Flavian emperors now accorded to the wise and beneficent lordship of Claudius, King of the Franks. I was chosen among some one-hundred and fifty others of my fellow Romans to serve the state in a different capacity than I had expected, and to keep the peace with foreign people by serving as an ambassador of the good qualities of the Roman state and an exemplar of the virtues of the Kingdom of the World, the Rome. By my endeavor and the endeavor of my compatriots, we sealed the alliance of the Romans and the Franks, and inaugurated a great and prosperous friendship between the realms.

On our arrival, we Romans were introduced to the lords of the house with great fanfare, a thing which delighted us.

First there was Claudius himself, King of Franks

His brother, prince of the realm Merovaeus

His nephew, Burtado, lord of the household spears

To our great delight, we Romans were introduced to one of our own kin, Flavus, who was Chief Magistrate of the Foedus and overseer of the Frankish affairs, much loved by the King and dear to him, an invaluable servant

Chapter 2

Of the Realm of the Franks, and the rulership of Claudius

The realm of the Franks stretches from Toxandria in the west to the River Elbe in the east. It is exceedingly wealthy, and the country is of a magnificent beauty unparalleled in any land I have ever laid eyes upon

Of the inhabitants of the realm, there are many tribes, the greatest of which is the Salians, the royal tribe. But these are but one of the outstanding nations of the Franks, who I could not possibly list given the bounteous multitude of their number, but I may briefly surmise some of the greatest in the Cherusci, the Chatti, the Alemanni, the Rugii, the Ripuari, and on.

Now of Claudius himself, he was an exceedingly wise and foresighted King. Upon assuming lordship of Belgica, as part of his foedus, he immediately made the genius decision to implement a new tax upon all merchants and to raise the property tax by ten solidii. Therefore, having taken into his bosom new lands previously unmastered, he at once made sure to bring them to heel, and also exploited the full bevy of their riches for the glory of the realm and the health of the royal coffers.

Whereas among the Cherusci, who had suffered so badly under the depredations of the Saxons, that they were in a bad way, and weeping to themselves for the injustice of their condition, Claudius brilliantly conspired to exempt them from the usual requirements of their oaths, therefore keeping the young men in the fields so that the countryside could rebuild and the battered nation of the Cherusci would not be driven to extremities by their condition, but instead remain quiescent and even grow in strength.

The result of these tax holidays was that the royal coffers were depleted somewhat, and in condition to become exhausted, but this was no matter under the stewardship of such a genius personage and leader of men

Among other virtues, Claudius was very attentive to the affairs of the other Kingdoms beyond his realm and kept abreast of all the politics of the world, even those far beneath his majesty and station in the merest of tribes and chiefs. Therefore, he kept a wide retinue of plenipotentiaries and representatives who could carry out tasks on his behalf

Chapter 3

In the Rome, Julian Caesar is proclaimed Augustus by his troops. Constantius Augustus dies suddenly and the Roman world passes to Julian. In Germany, Claudius makes some treaties with the Vandals, and inaugurates a friendship.

While he was in Paris, it came to pass that the soldiers of Julian were so much excited by his many successes against the German kingdoms, that he was offered the purple and proclaimed as Julian Augustus by the troops. This much, I heard from the report of officials and traders, being unable to see it for myself. Julian would have gone on to contend with his uncle Constantius - not out of any desire to rebel, but purely out of necessity of having been thrust into such a position - but before any blows could be exchanged Constantius Augustus died in the East and Julian became the unchallenged Augustus of the whole Rome.

At the same time this was going on, Claudius dispatched his representative Sigmar, a loyal friend of the King and a very talkative fellow, to meet with the King of the Vandals, who themselves were a smallish realm dwelling in the basin between Raetia and the North Sea.

Sigmar proposed to formalize relations. This is a thing not common among the German kingdoms, who prefer to exist in a state of war by default and only occasionally make alliances for the purpose of some campaign or another. But perhaps inspired by the humble example of the foedus, Claudius thought it would be prudent to make some formal situation with the Vandals, and exchange hostages and open economic ties and other things that great realms do. This brilliant idea of the King was happily accepted by the Vandals

Chapter 4

Claudius is challenged in his rule by a pretender. Of the armies and troops of the Franks.

Claudius had ruled for several years as King of the Franks and was an outstanding ruler by every measure of man and sovereign. But there were some brainless idiots who challenged his incredible reign, because they were dismayed at the foedus and thought that this genius arrangement with the Roman realm was somehow an obstacle to the power and independence of France, whereas it was actually a considerable boon.

The leader of these unspeakable vermin, not to be respected by anyone, was one chief of the Cherusci by the name of Adalphus, supported by a former companion of the King's own axemen with the name of Alphvi

Both of these knuckleheads had gathered together a horde of treasonous slime, barely cultivated whatsoever in the ways of war or combat, having no training, nor any gumption to speak of, but rather ineffectively flaying themselves in the face of the enemy and turning to run at the slightest disturbance in anything, even changes of the wind and season, which they readily attributed to acts of the Gods as an excuse for their perfidy and their cowardice.

The only true soldiers to speak of, at a stretch, were the personal guards of the two spineless usurpers, who were old veterans of the wars against the Saxons and therefore had some small amount of training, equipment, and prestige to speak of.

In contrast, the companions of Claudius went into battle mounted on the back of brilliant steeds, and were incredibly armored and armed in the finest of kits, so that truly they were like cataphracts of the East, or the companions of Alexander themselves.

Of the host of the Frankish King at large, the bravest and best were the household axes, commanded by the King's own nephew.

The main body of the troops were the Francisca. These men are so called because of the axes they wield, the France, which is carried in a trio: one for throwing, one for swinging, and one as an emergency France.

Then there were also the Alemannic troops, who were the tribal allies of the Frankish king and fought alongside him in battle as part of their obligation to respect the true king and do away with the disgusting false ones.

I also had the honor of being present at this battle myself, along with the rest of my fellow Romans, and I vow that we gave a good account of ourselves and our race.

Before battle, I am not ashamed to admit that I earnestly prayed to the Frankish gods for protection and I believe that the Frankish gods are the reason why we won the battle.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Default Re: [IB] The Frankish Histories - Salian Frankish AAR

Wonderful introduction to what should be a great AAR. I'm a visual person when it comes to AARS. The ambassador talks like someone of his education and gentility would. Also, this is educational for people who don't know about the era and an exhibition of the mod. This reminds me of Justinian Australis' master work from a different point of view.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; March 10, 2016 at 02:23 PM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

This guy reminds me of a young McScottish, when he still read a lot of literature, wrote more and generally had more time on his hands. Sigh.

Aaaaanyway, excellent stuff, exceptional choice of mod, and I shall be following this as eagerly as I follow all the rest of your writing exploits.

Book I

Chapter 5

Claudius, King of the Franks, engages the pretender Adalphus in battle and destroys him. The Saxons accuse Claudius of trying to poison a village

Claudius closed upon the camp of the pretender Aldalphus with his own personal war-host supported by an army of his Alemannic allies.

He faced the ragtag idiots and country bumpkins of the false-king.

I was present at the battle and I saw the formation of the Frankish main line. They were organized in a very strange way, and I was told that the Franks call this way of arranging themselves the 'barbarian formation'

Not content to allow my noble lord to imperil himself, I humbly prostrated myself before Claudius and I humbly offered to show him a different way of organizing the lines which we Romans call the 'triplex acies', or 'order of three lines'. Being a magnanimous ruler and in good spirits, anticipating the great victory to come, the King laughed kindly and gave me leave to demonstrate the Roman way of organizing the army.

First I had the best warriors of the King arrange in the middle, and I put the young men who had not seen battle on the wings, where their performance would be least integral to the outcome of the battle.

Behind the main line, I put the second-line of axe throwers, the Francisca.

Behind these two lines I placed the elite soldiers of the King, the household axemen, in such a way that they could quickly answer the youngest soldiers if they became imperiled during the battle.

We Romans were stationed on the right wing of the army, and we used the testudo formation, which is a closely-ordered mass of shields designed to protect against missiles.

The King elected to stand with his household cavalry on the left flank of the army, where he would be close to his Alemannic allies and could keep a watch over them, a wise decision from a noble king.

When the battle began, the King had his retinue of hunters out in the vanguard of the army, to locate the pretender forces and pepper them from a distance

Meanwhile, the Alemannic force arrived and drew up on the left flank of the King's army in the cover of a farmhouse

We Romans spotted the reinforcements of the pretender's ally, Alphvi, coming in from the right to try and rendezvous with the pretender.

So King Claudius committed his huntsmen to keep the reinforcements of the enemy at a distance by skirmishing and to force them either to suffer great casualties or else abandon their quest to group up into a single force.

The archers of the Franks have a peculiar tactic they use, which I later have decided to be genius with no flaws. In the first place, they will use arrows feathered in the normal manner, which is effective enough. But when the enemy begins to crack under the missiles, the huntsmen will switch to covering their arrows in pitch and setting them on fire. Although carrying the smallest of potential dangers, when done correctly this scalds the enemy and reduces them to a panic.

Claudius advanced the main army through the fields, to take the fight against the pretender army which was encamped on the crest of a small hill.

But to guard his right flank against the reinforcements of his former vassal, the traitor Alphvi, he went in person with the household cavalry deciding to harass the incoming foe and interdict their movement with the aid of his retinue of archers.

As the main army crested the hill, coming into range of the enemy, we Romans boldly led the first charge, since bravery is a thing that the Franks greatly prize and we greatly prized to be prized among our powerful hosts, the Franks.

The household axes of Claudius came to support us from the left and together we gave them what the Franks call 'a thrashing'

The country peasants of the would-be usurper broke into a rout, with the exception of the bodyguards of the pretender, who made a show of putting up fierce resistance on the left flank against the embarrassed allies of Claudius, the Alemanni

We Romans, after putting the peasants to flight, came around and matched man-for-man against the bodyguards of the pretender, finding them wanting in the ultimate test, we thrashed them.

For his part, the bravery of Claudius is above all reproach. He was so prolifically successful that with only the aide of his archers, his horsemen put the whole reinforcements of the rebels to flight and slaughtered a great deal of them, only stopping because of fatigue and the setting of the sun.

\

Claudius praised me for my advice on the formation of the soldiers, which he used henceforth. And I was given a cup full of what the Franks call mead, or honey-beer, which I did drink.

[Editor's note: a gap in the manuscript...]

Among the Franks there was no challenge to authority of Claudius, not even among the stupidest peasant. But since all great men must have enemies, there emerged accusations from the Saxons that some agents of Claudius had tried to poison a village in Jutland.

Of course this was absurd. But it was to precipitate even more tiresome wars for the realm and for my magnificent master Claudius, King of the Franks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    Wonderful introduction to what should be a great AAR. I'm a visual person when it comes to AARS. The ambassador talks like someone of his education and gentility would. Also, this is educational for people who don't know about the era and an exhibition of the mod. This reminds me of Justinian Australis' master work from a different point of view.
    Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    This guy reminds me of a young McScottish, when he still read a lot of literature, wrote more and generally had more time on his hands. Sigh.

Aaaaanyway, excellent stuff, exceptional choice of mod, and I shall be following this as eagerly as I follow all the rest of your writing exploits.
    Thank you gents! I appreciate you making me feel like I do have some semblance of a real life!

Quote Originally Posted by Beckitz View Post
    Thank you gents! I appreciate you making me feel like I do have some semblance of a real life!
    Hei OP, exceptional AAR you made, definitely subscribed,keep a good work lad!
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great AAR, I like the way that you explain your choice of formation and tactics.

Thank you Alwyn and Johnadiw for such quick praise - I have a lot to live up to for the rest of this AAR

Book II

Chapter 6

Claudius summons the focs and prepares for war against the Saxons because of their threats. The Saxons crudely explain themselves and war cannot be averted Claudius empties the treasure to construct some forts and repair others in light of the threat. Marcellus, the Roman governor, warns Claudius not to expand beyond Toxandria.

As I said, the Saxons had proved impossible to bear, acting in a manner most bellicose and inventing countless falsehoods and spurious accusations against Claudius, among other things accusing him of poisoning some wells and filling the springs from whence the Saxons drew water with refuse and corpses of livestock to soil them. Not even accounting for the impossible logistics of this feat, a thing which supposedly Claudius accomplished in total secret and without the discovery of anyone whatsoever, the sheer barbarity was unbecoming of so great and noble a king, the first to sacrifice gain for justice in any respect, and far above the use of duplicitous tactics to accomplish what properly should be done by the sword. Honorably by the sword.

The Saxon behavior was so vexing, and so injurious, that out of caution and sheer concern for the mere dignity of his nation, Claudius took the precaution of summoning the armies to war. He made the call to arms from all of his vassals and allies, invoking the bonds of friendship by which the Germans among friends pledge to defend each others lands and march to war together with those that share oaths.

I am told that among the Franks, the armies are called the 'focs', a word meaning people. This attests to their great martial spirit and valorious character.

The Saxons, duplicitous and melodramatic to a fault, at once were aggrieved and alarmed by the raising of the Frankish army, jabbering in their dopeish way about how Claudius was destroying the peace which had occupied Germania in recent times and instigating war as a further extension of his imaginary transgressions against the much-victimized wells and water places. Not to be made a fool, or to be cast as a renegade among Germans, Claudius invoked an ancient law of the Germanics and invited the Saxon king to parley in a sacred place where no arms were permitted and all violence was solemnly forbidden. No one would break this rule, not even the Saxons.

The Saxon king came to the meeting in a disposition entirely contradicting the spirit of the ceremony and the purpose of the counsel. Whenever it was his turn to speak he spoke in a loud and belligerent way to ramble on and on, comprehensible to no one, about an imaginary history of Frankish perfidy stretching back to ancient times, of which the compact with Rome was a prominent part. When others would have their turn to speak, the Saxon barbarian would often interrupt them in a savage way, shouting them down by accusing them of tremendous character flaws and stupidity. He would even interrupt the priests, idiotically, since they did not favor anyone and were widely respected by all. Therefore the Saxon king made a fool of himself, and could find no support among the German nations.

He left the conference vowing to struggle against the Franks until they curtailed their injurious actions, a thing Claudius could not do, on account of the imaginary nature of the injuries.

Therefore Claudius had no choice but to make preparations across his realm for hostilities, a thing he would have preferred to avoid, since as the ancient writers say it is always unwise to follow the end of civil strife with some hard war. But without other options, Claudius set to the war with a firm hand and a wise disposition. He raised stockades to protect the outlying villages and around his court and followers he erected a considerable wall, built of stone, in some places ten meters high. The thickness was four meters. In other places he established forward camps which he might use to conduct the course of the war, and invigorated many dormant forges and put the smiths to work constructing weapons and armor.

Of his soldiers he levied the whole amount, leaving out nothing, and the number which came to his call was vast. Notable especially were the naets, the noblemen of the lesser tribes and nations which did not hold territory but served as constituents of the realm. These naets come to battle on horseback and in full mail, proving very effective in the melee and sometimes able to swing the battle with a charge.

This drained the treasury to some extent. But Claudius was undaunted by the cost. Rightly, since the very survival of the nation was at stake in the fortunes.

Seeing the preparations for war across the land, Barbatus Marcellus, the Roman governor of the region was greatly alarmed, since after all he had not been informed of any such developments and had been given no warning about the coming of war, a thing which had not visited the area for some time. He summoned Claudius at once and demanded to know the reason for his extensive tomfoolery and warlike behavior. Claudius at once cited the many injuries of the Saxons, including worst of all the impossible behavior of the king and his insane views. Barbatus dismissed these complaints. He strictly commanded Claudius not to bring conquest against the Saxons for any reason, saying that this was a requirement of the foedus.

Chapter 7

The Franks cross the border and place the city of Lile under siege. Burtado sets upon a vanguard of Saxon warriors and crushes them in large fashion. Of the arms and armor of the Saxon hordes

Notwithstanding the warning of Barbatus, which Claudius saw as an insult to the dignity of the Franks, the king at once led the army into the land of Saxons, advancing along two prongs with his warlords.

He first set upon their dependents, members of the Cherusci and Chatti which in some distant time had split from the main part of their brethren in the Frankish realm and made oaths of allegiance to the Saxon kings. They had a considerable settlement, which I would call a city, that had acquired a large number of people in standing homes because of the wealth of trade that came from along the coast and the fertile agriculture that was possible there. Claudius at once placed the city under siege and began to starve the people out by famine.

The Saxon king is almost to be commended, because he reacted quickly to the invasion. However, he sent only a meager scouting force, which was intercepted by Bertado, nephew of Claudius and Lord of the Household Spears, one of the king's closest lieutenants.

Among the Saxons the main body of the army is comprised of a rank called siorals. A sioral is a landowner, with some modest amount of slaves, who in times of war is summoned by the Saxon king to form the main line of the infantry in battle.

The Saxons are also prolific riders. Because they raid so frequently among each other, often they use swift riders to run along the shoreline and intercept parties of attackers from enemy nations.

But the true ferocity of the Saxons is their noble lords, who come to battle dressed in full chain mail and all the accouterments of war - helmets, greaves, gauntlets, and everything else, plus extremely fine spears made of iron that make mince-meat of the wooden shields used by the rank-and-file German warrior.

I now record the account of Burtado himself, written in total fidelity to the truth, omitting nothing and exact in every word:"

"The mead, the melee, and the maiden. By these things I honor the gods. Since I am but their pawn, I take no credit for this petty trophy. I spit upon the honor of men, but I love the honor of the gods. That they will know what I have done to avenge them in the face of Gelder, the Saxon oaf-lord, I will dis-adulate the deeds of the that day [August 19, 362].

With the youth and the irrelevant whelps out to my wings, I advanced upon the paltry foe in three lines. No more, no less. If even the first of my lines had been penetrated by the foe, the second would have at once annihilated them with axe and spear. I will not even waste my breath to speak of the third line, which would have dominated the foe.

To seal the doom of the Saxon goat-men, I did conceal my swift riders in the forests, that they might frighten the foe and rend him asunder.

My huntsmen stalked the enemy from a distance and forced him to engage.

To scout is all. I scout the land when I wake. I scout the land when nature calls to me. I scout the land when I have finished with a good woman. I am an excellent scout, and I know the lands.

We found the Saxons in a low plain by their precious sea. While my riders snuck to arrive at the left of the enemy, my huntsmen screened the advance of my warriors.

My riders burst onto the scene from the woods and panicked the foe with javelins and their fierce cries. My warriors closed the distance and they too opened fire with missiles. The slaughter was very great, by the gods.

When the enemy had begun to fear for his life, and no longer held any faith in the gods, having lost sight even of the sun and the sky, then did I have my warriors close to lock the quaking foe in melee

My riders ran among the warriors like jackals, hunting the godless savages and cutting them down wherever they were exposed, or thought to run from battle.

The Saxon leader, when his warriors began to melt before our might, went in person to try and reverse the course of the slaughter. He locked in battle with our army and we surrounded him from the sides.

When only the Saxon leader remained, we surrounded him and butchered his warriors, hacking them utterly to pieces.

I take no pleasure in boasting about my exploits, but I am pleased to do my duty to my king and to report the history of our people to this man."

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Something seems to have gone wrong with your photos (a picture appears showing a kitten, with the message 'Photo not found. Click for Photos.' Hopefully this is a temporary problem. I hope that you will either continue this story (if there is more to tell) or write another AAR in future.

I seconded what alwyn comment

Sent from my Smartfren Andromax AD688G using Tapatalk
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

Very well written .You seem to show the germanium alliances correctly .Write more .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer