Thread: Modding weapons & armor upgrades

Default Modding weapons & armor upgrades

As it is, MTW2 very much tends to turn into a development race; I always try to produce armor and weapons upgrades as soon as possible to stay ahead of the AI. Which is a shame in a sense, because it means that usually most battles occur when my troops are already fully upgraded. That way you skip the feudal period for a large part, and end up with gothic armor in the 11th century.

Would it be possible to have more events to occur like the gunpowder event, but than for arms and armor upgrades? Like early 11th century you get heavy mail, than early 12th century partial plate, 13th century full plate and so on?

This would be more historical, and it would also even out development which might be good for the AI.

What would I need to do to achieve this?

Default Re: Modding weapons & armor upgrades

dont think it's possible to make armour upgrades into events but i see your point in this matter fully. There are so many inaccuracies with this game it spoils it alot in my opinion. Not a patch on the original with the exception of graphics.
    If deception is an art, then the world is full of artists!
    Trust No One!

I was thinking along the lines of having upgraded barracks, stables and armorfactories only appear at specific dates...is that an option? A message for the player that he can build certain structures would help a lot.

That sounds like a really good idea, but if this could be done why didnt CA do it, it would make the whole game a lot more historically accurate from the start. Im sure once the patch is released with the modding tool? maybe this will become an option modders can play with, I know i would be interested.
    If deception is an art, then the world is full of artists!
    Trust No One!

CA probably didn't do it because they didn't want to.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

I was thinking along the lines of having upgraded barracks, stables and armorfactories only appear at specific dates...is that an option? A message for the player that he can build certain structures would help a lot.
    Yes i think so. I think you could add in a new event or something, or something in the campaign file that would trigger certain buildings. But im not very knowledgable on that sort of stuff, scripters like ER will know more about it.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

If it's possible to add new events, that would be the best way to trigger those developments for sure. I'll have a look into it; there might be interesting possibilities there.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. After all, you can't begin construction on the gunpowder buildings until the gunpowder discovery event has occurred. You could probably make some sort of metallurgy event fire at a certain year that would unlock the next blacksmith upgrade.

I completely agree with what you're looking for; I find it rather disturbing that I can build Late-era armor by turn 68 or so.
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

This is a very good idea. Scripting in M2TW seems to be more opened up then it was back in RTW so I'm sure we can get something like this going.

Moved to Text Editing and Scripting.
    Last edited by Trajan; December 06, 2006 at 06:11 PM.

I edited the export_descr_building.txt and the descr_events.txt files. Added a "chainmail-event" to try out if adding new events has any effect. Changing those two files does not seem to do the trick tough.

Does anyone know how to edit in new working events?