Thread: Fallout 4 vs Skyrim modded

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Fallout 4 vs Skyrim modded

How are the opinions?

Is Fallout 4 a better (improved) game experience than a proper modded Skyrim?
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Default Re: Fallout 4 vs Skyrim modded

There are tons of Skyrim mods with the amount of years it's been out. You can fine tune Skyrim to your exact preferences. Fully modded Skyrim is the better gaming experience than Fallout 4 vanilla. Wait a few years if you want to compare that.

Protector Domesticus

IMO Vanilla Skyrim is better then Fallout 4 so a fully modded skyrim is far better.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    There are tons of Skyrim mods with the amount of years it's been out. You can fine tune Skyrim to your exact preferences. Fully modded Skyrim is the better gaming experience than Fallout 4 vanilla. Wait a few years if you want to compare that.
    So the bold part of your answer is ontopic.

Guys, i asked after the game experience, your personal subjective opinion, right now. No need to wait years for this question.

P.S. I know about Skyrim's plethora of mods, was a daily vistor and user of Nexus (and modder of Skyrim).

Quote Originally Posted by SLN445 View Post
    IMO Vanilla Skyrim is better then Fallout 4 so a fully modded skyrim is far better.
    Alright, first part answer is imo. a thing of "world-scenario" preference, medieval lore vs post-apocalypse fantasy.

Bold part is then ontopic, if you would have added "game experience".

Background of the question:

I'm personally a Skyrim fan, fiddled but since FO4's release with the decision to buy it or not (read all the reviews etc. hype etc.), investing the time to dive into it or not.

I've also FO:Vegas, where as well a kinda plethora of mods do exist, perhaps that would be the better comparison for a subjective game experience question, as for the same scenario?
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 09, 2016 at 05:33 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I am not a fallout 4 fan by any stretch, but I think it's not fair to compare 5 years of modding to less than a year (or even 6 months?).

Patrician Artifex

Again, "game experience", this is a subjective item and has nothing to do with fairness of game comparisons ... i don't ask after a quasi objective gaming expert jury's judgement.

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post

Alright, first part answer is imo. a thing of "world-scenario" preference, medieval lore vs post-apocalypse fantasy.
    Basing my opinion more on game design, world building, immersion ect rather then the choice of themes, they could of both been set in the same scenario and Skyrim would come out on top.
    Fallout 4s choice to streamline its content more for the most part is what hinders the players experience.

Your going to have to explain by what you mean by "Game Experience"
    Last edited by SLN445; March 09, 2016 at 07:02 PM.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

For "gaming experience" i'm reading as "immersion" so modded Skyrim is much better.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by SLN445 View Post
    Basing my opinion more on game design, world building, immersion ect rather then the choice of themes, they could of both been set in the same scenario and Skyrim would come out on top.
    Fallout 4s choice to streamline its content more for the most part is what hinders the players experience.

Your going to have to explain by what you mean by "Game Experience"
    I thought that was simple, well ...

Game experience or gaming experience:

Immersion, addiction-degree (or danger of), just fun/joy with / entertainment potential, welcomed challenge, re-playability, graphics quality/visuality, sound/music quality, etc. ... for many also very important: realism reflection / plausability and lore-friendly design, and even of course sex-appeal (or "sexy-ness", to perhaps invent a word), and overall for me very important, moddability.
    Expanded, what comes to my mind, one could go with buggyness or rather the lack of or let's say stability (very important, of course), customer care of the developer/supplier, license price, access / installation, smoothness (program quality), ...

If you want so, the subjective experienced degree of these items.

What sticks also behind this question (for me at least): A game company should aim for a clear enhancement with a new game thrown on the market in comparison to their former titles. The more so, if the company knows, that a plethora of quality mods is available for their former titles. That would be my personal measurement or goal as art director. / edit: forgotten ... competition, with similar game genre releases, here RPG, as for example The Witcher.

I see it as you judged as of yet, FO4 cannot compete with Skyrim modded properly, not in the slightest. So one could ask, why it is the case that ie. FO4's release was that hyped and also pretty well reviewed.
    Answer: Enough people want a new title (or product) to play by all means (possibly along "new is always good"), simple as that, and, enough people rather the majority don't use mods (plus, reviews usually don't consider mods).
    However, the whole business concept works well, especially then also with games which is once well received, and then expanded with a plethora of DLC's, the money-melk machine (i find that alright btw., if the products are quality and the company is a nice one, i like to support them) ... but imagine, it was always so like here with Skyrim modded vs FO4's release, wouldn't the company get problems with the time, when practically mods take over, when a 5 years old release promises a better gaming experience than the newest release? Just see me, i didn't buy FO4, because of that very thing. Should game companies hinder the moddability
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM.

If you are comparing fallout:New Vegas modded to Fallout 4, I like Fallout 4 more as a game experience. They did take out a lot of dialogue so you get less depth, but with a voice acted protagonist it makes the game a lot more personal, for me. The building system is not very good, in my opinion, but if it was a mod I would think it was pretty awesome. I definitely crashed more often in F:NV and Skyrim than Fallout 4, I don't think I actually ever crashed in F4, so stability is pretty good. They took out a lot of RPG mechanics, but vastly improved the combat system. It feels like a proper triple A shooter, take that as you will. I thoroughly enjoy the combat system in fallout 4. I probably like the combat in F4 more than Skyrim, but that is probably because I just personally prefer shooters to SB type games. Not to mention weapon customization is awesome!

If your real question is should you buy it? Yeah, it is great and more and more mods are coming out everyday. Fallout 4 is a solid vanilla game, any mods I would install would be just to enhance the vanilla experience, I am not a player who installs mod after mod that completely changed the base game as much as possible, like some in Skyrim. Hey, you can always wait on a sale, I think the game is worth it's full price tag, but anything lower than that is most definitely worth picking it up at.

I am not really one to ask about game prices though. If I enjoy the game I will pay full price for everything rather than wait on a sale. I have bought every single DLC for ME:2, and ME:3, which has probably run up to $100 total for both games or more. Fallout 4 is a game I would, and will do with the season pass, as soon as they start coming out. That should be telling of my personal gaming experience.

I will add the world feels much more alive than previous games, for me. The setting was very well done, and it is easy to get immersed in it's atmosphere. Diamond City is one example. It's the small stuff like checking raiders computers, and they talk about eachother in them, conversations NPC's have with eachother, etc.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; March 10, 2016 at 04:24 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Some of the Skyrim mods were very well made, I can't speak about FO 4 though. Nonetheless, both games should be a great experience.

Senator

but with a voice acted protagonist it makes the game a lot more personal,
    That's just about the opposite of how I feel about it.Less depth and a voice actor make it LESS personal for me it always feels like I'm playing Mr. Howard and not MY character.The fact that I think the Voice actor is terrible generic doens't make it better-
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    That's just about the opposite of how I feel about it.Less depth and a voice actor make it LESS personal for me it always feels like I'm playing Mr. Howard and not MY character.The fact that I think the Voice actor is terrible generic doens't make it better-
    Exactly. Voiced protagonist made the game less enjoyable, alot less.

Protector Domesticus

I wouldn't of minded it too much if they kept the old dialog system and had that voiced, but the dialog tree thing they have feels like a downgrade.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    If you are comparing fallout:New Vegas modded to Fallout 4, I like Fallout 4 more as a game experience. They did take out a lot of dialogue so you get less depth, but with a voice acted protagonist it makes the game a lot more personal, for me. The building system is not very good, in my opinion, but if it was a mod I would think it was pretty awesome. I definitely crashed more often in F:NV and Skyrim than Fallout 4, I don't think I actually ever crashed in F4, so stability is pretty good. They took out a lot of RPG mechanics, but vastly improved the combat system. It feels like a proper triple A shooter, take that as you will. I thoroughly enjoy the combat system in fallout 4. I probably like the combat in F4 more than Skyrim, but that is probably because I just personally prefer shooters to SB type games. Not to mention weapon customization is awesome!

If your real question is should you buy it? Yeah, it is great and more and more mods are coming out everyday. Fallout 4 is a solid vanilla game, any mods I would install would be just to enhance the vanilla experience, I am not a player who installs mod after mod that completely changed the base game as much as possible, like some in Skyrim. Hey, you can always wait on a sale, I think the game is worth it's full price tag, but anything lower than that is most definitely worth picking it up at.

I am not really one to ask about game prices though. If I enjoy the game I will pay full price for everything rather than wait on a sale. I have bought every single DLC for ME:2, and ME:3, which has probably run up to $100 total for both games or more. Fallout 4 is a game I would, and will do with the season pass, as soon as they start coming out. That should be telling of my personal gaming experience.

I will add the world feels much more alive than previous games, for me. The setting was very well done, and it is easy to get immersed in it's atmosphere. Diamond City is one example. It's the small stuff like checking raiders computers, and they talk about eachother in them, conversations NPC's have with eachother, etc.

Alright, that's a quite detailled description of game experience for, as mentioned in your first sentence, FO:NV and FO4 comparison, but then you mixed it also with Skyrim (plus your overall feelings about the FO4 title), thanks.

You can, or could, do the same for the requested two games alone per the OP, Skyrim modded and FO4.
    Feel free to following the OP ... next time ... as i got your game experience views now (also for a Sykrim modded comparison) with your descriptions. Just although i mentioned FO:NV modded myself, i think the comparison deserves a separate thread, just as each game has its kinda unique game experience.

P.S. And no, the thread was not meant by me to getting help for a decision, shall i buy FO4 or not with full price now. Fyi, i have no money issues to purchase a game by its full release or standard price if i want it, just in case some notes by me implicated that for you, although i can't see which part of my notes would implicate that. Perhaps you read again my comments to get an idea, what it is about ... in short once more, is FO4 a better game experience compared to Skyrim modded, your opinions here. If somebody writes "FO4 is (way) better than Skyrim modded", that would be interesting, and why, of course. SturmChurro mentioned one aspect, ie. improved stability.
    Btw., you believe 100 $ is much for a game and its DLCs? ... don't get on Paradox games then. ... "ME:2", "ME:3", what's that? Medieval 2 TW? The abreviation known by me is simply M2 or M2TW, ME:3 is entirely unknown by me in this regard (just Kingdoms as M2 expansion is not titled "3"). Guess, you meant another game than Medieval2TW?
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 12, 2016 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Alright, that's a quite detailled description of game experience for, as mentioned in your first sentence, FO:NV and FO4 comparison, but then you mixed it also with Skyrim (plus your overall feelings about the FO4 title), thanks.

You can, or could, do the same for the requested two games alone per the OP, Skyrim modded and FO4.
    Feel free to following the OP ... next time ... as i got your game experience views now (also for a Sykrim modded comparison) with your descriptions. Just although i mentioned FO:NV modded myself, i think the comparison deserves a separate thread, just as each game has its kinda unique game experience.

P.S. And no, the thread was not meant by me to getting help for a decision, shall i buy FO4 or not with full price now. Fyi, i have no money issues to purchase a game by its full release or standard price if i want it, just in case some notes by me implicated that for you, although i can't see which part of my notes would implicate that. Perhaps you read again my comments to get an idea, what it is about ... in short once more, is FO4 a better game experience compared to Skyrim modded, your opinions here. If somebody writes "FO4 is (way) better than Skyrim modded", that would be interesting, and why, of course. SturmChurro mentioned one aspect, ie. improved stability.
    Btw., you believe 100 $ is much for a game and its DLCs? ... don't get on Paradox games then. ... "ME:2", "ME:3", what's that? Medieval 2 TW? The abreviation known by me is simply M2 or M2TW, ME:3 is entirely unknown by me in this regard (just Kingdoms as M2 expansion is not titled "3"). Guess, you meant another game than Medieval2TW?
    Sorry Mass Effect, however I did buy Medieval: 2 multiple times... I gave the full price vs. sale price, because a lot of people like to make a "value proposition" that a game may not be worth it's full price tag, but if it was on sale it would definitely live up to that price.

I felt the voiced dialogue made the game more personal, for me, because I could just never get into the unvoiced protagonists, no emotion to go along with certain lines (and the voice actors did a great job, if a bit overdone on the female IMO). I agree with many about the depth you lose (like I outlined), you don't get long detailed explanations anymore, and it is not as well done as a voice wheel in a Bioware game or something. I did find myself choosing stuff thinking I was asking a question and it finished the conversation, stuff like that I do not like, and saying stuff that was completely different from the original line. There are some mods that help quite a bit I hear, however.

Overall, if you want to see the amount of enjoyment I got out of the experience (fully vanilla I never installed a mod) I have, according to steam, almost 250 hours in Fallout 4 and 266 hours in F:NV. Apart from my very first playthrough in that has been fully modded, and over a couple years. I put in that many hours in the first couple months of f4! I like the game, a lot. For reasons outlined earlier, combat, feeling of life to the world (not NPC interactions that feel forced), Beautiful (for a wasteland) world to explore, companions that I highly enjoyed; not no depth, no character companions like in Skyrim, they each have their own personality with likes and dislikes, awesome weapon customization (crafting system), efficient armor crafting (I wish there was more to armor customization though), and most of all the little things! The things you don't notice unless you take the time to explore, this game has real exploration and discovery, finding a serial killers hideout with messages left to the detective who was chasing him, quest givers with horrifying secrets, terminals with diaries left behind, these are the things I remember. I spent hours immersing myself into the lore, and the comedy that goes with it. You don't get that to that extent in Skyrim, nowhere close. It isn't going into dungeon after dungeon of some generic Dragon Priest's tomb with a loot chest at the end for some lost book. After playing Skyrim so much I can already feel the void, and the robotic feeling of generic NPC's + companions. There is a reason I download mods like interesting npcs, and populated cities. Fallout 4 has those in the base game!

My major gripe of Fallout 4 is the building and settlement system, which feels like a mod, it does not feel finished at all. When I say it feels like a mod I mean, the generic settlers you get are buggy, don't respond well to commands, the actual building sucks as well. Objects will float, and you can't make stuff like walls go together naturally, if the surface you are building on is not flat you will not have a good time unless you turn on noclip or something. By buggy settlers I mean things like them floating in the air, getting stuck on roofs, brahmin getting stuck inside houses, settlers standing in spawn point forever doing nothing. Good thing it is completely optional, not to mention the amount of radiant quests that go along with them, many people actively avoid triggering quests for settlements (the minutemen).

I probably have to admit my personal bias towards fallout over Elder Scrolls as well. I played 1 and 2 years before I even played a single ES game, and even now I prefer the Fallout universe to the ES universe, so I may just be personally more interested in the lore surrounding Fallout than the lore surrounding Skyrim that is in that game. I do not read every lorebook I found, like I read or listened to everything I find in Fallout.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; March 12, 2016 at 05:30 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Well, alright. Now you mentioned a few things which have been advanced with FO4 vs. Skyrim+DLCs vanilla. But that's one of the things i meant, that a new game release must also compete with former titles incl. its modding world.
    However, the Sykrim modding world has a extreme bandwith of available content that enriches the vanilla game. As for mentioned NPCs, everybody bored by Skyrim NPCs, even if Populated series etc. NPC adding mods installed, should try Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul ... it's amazing, the best that ever came to Skyrim as mod.