Thread: Uesugi & the Sado Island trap

Default Uesugi & the Sado Island trap

after a period expanding at the expense of the Ikko-Ikki & then taking Sado Island (6 provinces total), a Takeda super stack suddenly appeared, took out my capital province of Echigo & the Uesugi capital was 'moved for me' to Sado Island, voiding all the contiguous connected land trade I'd established & limiting me to a single sea trade (all the mainland ports discounted as well). This of course was devastating to my economy which turned big time negative & I was pretty much forced to start over. I know there's no way of one deciding which is your capital in this game or where it becomes when you are force to move but I have to assume the priority is proximity & Sado becomes a big trap if you ever lose the Uesugi capital (which I seem to do in every game I play). The only recourse seems to be to wait until you lose your capital & when it's moved to Etchu, then you're free to take out Sado Island. Has this happened to other Uesugi'ers on this board? I find gold somewhat overrated in this game. Sure, the gold itself is worth a lot in taxable income but there's no trade benefit as in other commodities & it seems like the accompanying farms in a gold province are always barren or meager.

jpops0702's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Uesugi & the Sado Island trap

I've always found gold provinces highly overrated. If you capture Sado early, it will require a serious cash outlay to get it up and running, and it will take a lot of time (up to 20 turns, if the mine is at the base level). Fully developed and with a metsuke, it will support barely a single stack of mostly ashigaru units. Hardly worth it.

For my Uesugi campaigns, I prefer to expand, as it sounds like you did, southward towards Kaga. I leave Echigo undefended, and undeveloped with the idea that it will be taken by an enemy clan. No big deal, it's a pretty crappy starting province. If you don't own Sado, Etchu will become your capital, and you won't have to worry about the trade problems you encountered. You do eventually want Sado, but I wait until the Takeda have been eliminated, and any other immediate threats resolved. By this point the Honma will have done all the work for you, and they still will only have a single stack of mostly ashigaru to deal with. Retake Echigo, if it has fallen (it usually does in my campaigns), when the time is right, and your situation is relatively stable.

Default Re: Uesugi & the Sado Island trap

A bit late but...

The trick is to not concentrate on economy early on and attack, attack, ATTACK. Recruit ashigarus non stop until you have 2 full stacks and attack everything you can, but with some strategy in mind: prioritize choke points, provinces that will border with someone that it is your ally or will become your ally.

I learned this after watching a youtube video... I always tend to build my economy too much and forget my military since they arent upgraded trops and always I do this I end in very bad situations. The times i keep pushing me each turn to build military is when I have the most success. In fact my uesugi campaign was the shortest one with winning it in 120-something turns (legendary domination), after countless restarts doing my economy build work.

About sado, its not bad, it has more income that other islands so its ok to have it. Also its very near from your province. The trick is to put a ship near it and wait for the honma to leave to screw someone, have a small army prepared at your capital, then land on it and take it. Have a monk and a metsuke and leave almost immediately, maybe leaving some ashigarus to keep happiness, but move your army to the mainland immediately since you need your army ready, not keeping happiness.