Thread: Gifts for the Papacy

Elephant Eyelash's Avatar Foederatus

Default Gifts for the Papacy

I read often from other users here that presenting cities as gifts to the Pope (most commonly to be used as a buffer zone) works great and improves relations as well. For me, though, it's a bit odd. When I gift a city to the Pope, he thanks me on the diplomatic dialog, but as soon as I close that screen, I get the news/prompt on the left, "Relations Worsened" and my favor in the Pope's eyes drops down to ZERO crosses. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this common? I didn't see anyone else mentioning it.

Default Re: Gifts for the Papacy

You still don't have military units in the province do you?

I did that once and because you don't have military access with the Papacy, you might of lost relationship points perhaps.

Not for sure, but that would be my guess as that happened to me once.

But it really is a very effective strategy.

Elephant Eyelash's Avatar Foederatus

Actually, I was smart enough to pull all of my army out before presenting the city, even though I am allied with the Papacy, WITH military access! It's so weird. =\

I jus recently did the whole give the city to the pope idea... Worked fine for me... I actually sold the cities, 3 of em.. Stopped Milan and HRE from fighting me...

I took Constantinople on a Crusade, and I could tell it was going to be brutal and take alot of effort to keep it. My relations were 3 crosses with the Pope b/c Spain attacked me, I only defended by killing their armies in my land, and my rep went down every time I did so b/c they were higher. So I one-upped them by handing over Const. Went from 3 to one short of Perfect.

One of the first things I do in the game is get a diplomat to rome and set up to give the papacy 100 florins per turn. I pretty well keep perfect relations all the time.

Even when I'm at war with other catholics.

When small men attempt great enterprises, they always end by reducing them to the level of their mediocrity.
    * Napoleon I

If i set up a to give the pope regualr tribute of 100 per turn is the effect a one off or does every turn i give 100 have an affect? as compared to manually giving a single payment of 100 a turn thx

I gave Jerusalem and two other settlements nearby to the Papal States and my army was still in the region, in the settlement even. The relations became perfect and even got an alliance with them. I didn't notice anything bad afterwards. Of course I pulled out my armies the turn after just in case, but I didn't notice a thing about worsened relations.