Thread: I'm glad general doesn't charge alone

Default I'm glad general doesn't charge alone

Only once, in maybe 300 battles of MTW2 so far, has the enemy general made the same mistake he made in 99% of battles in RTW.. that is, charge my army unsupported, getting easily enveloped+killed, and giving a huge morale hit to his men. It was fun for a while but made the fights too easy. The general, and cavalry as a whole, are also smarter about being lured away, and try to stick with the infantry so that they can be more effective.

I miss something about RTW though. When an army routs in MTW2, your loud accented sycophant says "The enemy flee like a pack of goats!" I never thought I'd say this (as I once hated it) but what happened to the rest of that sentence!! (Hunt them! Goats make for good eating!)

Default Re: I'm glad general doesn't charge alone

Quote Originally Posted by bibbledy View Post
    I miss something about RTW though. When an army routs in MTW2, your loud accented sycophant says "The enemy flee like a pack of goats!" I never thought I'd say this (as I once hated it) but what happened to the rest of that sentence!! (Hunt them! Goats make for good eating!)
    That was a lot of fun back on RTW days xD It looks like they said that EVERY TIME the enemy started routing. At least for me.

Another thing that i miss: When you zoomed in your infantry they were ALWAYS saying: Stinking rats! That was fun.

So they WERE saying something! you have just solved one of the biggest mysteries of my life lol.

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by bibbledy View Post
    Only once, in maybe 300 battles of MTW2 so far, has the enemy general made the same mistake he made in 99% of battles in RTW.. that is, charge my army unsupported, getting easily enveloped+killed, and giving a huge morale hit to his men. It was fun for a while but made the fights too easy. The general, and cavalry as a whole, are also smarter about being lured away, and try to stick with the infantry so that they can be more effective.
    ...interesting...I encounter suicidal Generals quite frequently. More often than not, they will leave their army in the dust to fling themselves upon my troops. I thought nothing of it since this has been a feature for me since the initial release of R:TW.

i have experienced generals charging alone, but atleast they try to go for archers. intelligence in stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    ...interesting...I encounter suicidal Generals quite frequently. More often than not, they will leave their army in the dust to fling themselves upon my troops. I thought nothing of it since this has been a feature for me since the initial release of R:TW.
    Yes I see it too. I find its guranteed tho on sieges, they love to try and push thru the gate with horsemen, usually there general. This of course results in his easy and early demise

Every other TW game has had a patch to fix the suicidal general bug...

it appears they averted that fix this time, amazing! It only took them 4 goes

They aren't smarter either ;/
    They just wait till their archers/gunmen waste all their ammo on my weakest/merc unit then they charge with the rest of their army. Thing is that they're on horses so they clash on my lines first and die :d

Sinuhet's Avatar Preparing for death

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    As I have duscussed more depply laready in this subforum with Lusted, there is the "suicide" generals "bug", i.e. the genral_units is attacking alone in MTW2 too. It is not solved, it is only a bit masked by several mechanisms, by means new battle AI mechanics features , but hte basic reson for beeing there is more intelligent than an average complainer could think about ......

However, I am glad that the previous "medial" massage from the side of the CA to hide this fact is not successful in this time. Several people have still its own eyes .... The sucide general is in MTW2 too, the CA have had its own reasons not to solve this complex issue, which could unbalance a lot of other things in their engine, and I am far to bash it for it. I wolud bash it only for continuous masking this obvious fact and creating the massively spread non-critical attitude toward the game features/by some of players maybe also felt like the "serious bugs".

It is not necessary the CA would do all what the community suggests/wants to have in TW games, but it wolud communicate on the sufficeiently high level about its reasons behind these their decisions.

Bye Sinuhet
    My TW games "Battle Formations" projects:
    Sinuhet's ETW Formations v2.0 – for ETW
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v5.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v3.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's AI Battle Formations v7.0 – for RTW 1.5

In Patrocinivm Svb HorseArcher

I didn't encounter them as much as in rome, and if I did, it wasn't the weird "general enters the battlefield, decides which enemy spears are strongest and immediately charges" RTW style.

I guess if the passive AI bug is fixed, we'll see it again (I wonder if I wont continue using the passive version then - doing nothing is still better than committing suicide...)...