Thread: Curia Thoughts (Share if you like)

Default Curia Thoughts (Share if you like)

My General Thoughts

The subforum descriptor: Come to discuss matters of the republic, complaints, grievances, and nominations. Citizens only!
    People say the CdeC was too strict, but there isn't an example where someone didn't passed but didn't. Then people say now it is too lenient, but yet most cases have not even been close. I personally wouldn't begrudged anyone for voting against an applicant I put forth. I personally believe each one certainly did enough, but I do trust my fellow citizens to vote conscientiously. I also do not feel I am taking a risk when I proposed anyone for any recognition. The person being presented certainly is taking a risk as they exposed themselves to criticism. However, I only applied when they felt ready, so each were ready for the baptism of fire.

For me the Curia is simply a place for citizens to recognized the contribution of others. Citizenship is both a responsibility and a benefit. Recognizing others for their contribution is paramount for the longevity of the general concept of citizenship. As citizens we are the exemplar of ideal behavior. It is a responsibility that we all accept and displayed prior to becoming citizens. As a result, the site gives us the added benefit of a unique color and badges. Citizenship is also a recognition of investment of time and energy. It is because of this we have a mechanism where we can proposed changes to the site, and in theory, the admin would be incline to implement.

Our voice has been somewhat muted by the lack of participation by most citizens. This is somewhat the fault of the structure of the site and attitudes of past members which turned off members from being involved. The Curia isn't or shouldn't be a place where we make constant changes to the site. Obviously, the Curia can be a place for change, but the discussion should be civil equivalent to our status as citizens. Good ideas do not need a lot of convincing arguments. If we want citizens to see the Curia as a place of discussion of experiences both good and bad with the site, then we need to learn to accept other people's point of view. There is a general lack of respect and as long as that is the case, regardless of your own righteousness, people will continue to avoid the Curia.

For me the Curia main activity should and ought to be recognizing the contribution of others. The lack of activity is highlighted by the drop off of patronization. The Curia is not a beacon of democracy or equality. It is the "home" of those recognized for the time and investment. The key to enter has always been contribution, attitude, and behavior. There is a reason for that. There are many areas where suggestions can be made to the site. However the Curia is the home of citizens to discuss what they think is important. However, this is secondary concern. What is the Curia is citizenship. Patronage is the primary means in which people become citizens. Due to the past events, people have avoided the Curia and citizenship and we are faced with a crisis. Despite two new games and a third on the way, there is a real decline in a patronages. Our goal and focus should not be reducing citizenship to a simple pixel, but champion it has something noble and important to earn. It is only in this noble act does one exemplify what citizenship and everything it stands for.

I will invite anyone to share your thoughts, but no quoting, direct discussion or proposals. [I would ask the Curator to strictly enforce this rule- I do not want this to be a "debate thread"]
    Thank you for reading...

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Default Re: Curia Thoughts (Share if you like)

RE: Restructuring/ Reshaping the Curia.

You can remodel an Opera House and make it state of the art. But if you don't also put bodies in the seats, your going nowhere fast. The main issue here, with this place is repopulating a depopulated area.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze View Post
    RE: Restructuring/ Reshaping the Curia.

You can remodel an Opera House and make it state of the art. But if you don't also put bodies in the seats, your going nowhere fast. The main issue here, with this place is repopulating a depopulated area.
    That's like, the most sensible thing I've ever seen you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike
    I will invite anyone to share your thoughts, but no quoting, direct discussion or proposals. [I would ask the Curator to strictly enforce this rule- I do not want this to be a "debate thread"]
    Thank you for reading...
    Pike, you do not get to make up rules and ask the curator to enforce them.

Any way, while I'm sure this desperate need to share your lunch break musings seems a good idea to you, have you not realized yet ten years of trying to diagnose the curia's ill's has got us precisely where we are today. You are not going to stumble on a solution, nor is any one else. Take seat on the Ferris wheel and try to enjoy the ride.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike
    Why not have set guidelines if the goal is promote a higher level of discourse. The point was to share one's thought, not criticize another. Ironically, part of the "Curia's Ills" is the rigidity to one's own beliefs and the animosity directed at individuals who do not share your views. Will the approach fix anything? probably not, but their virtue in the attempt. Personally, I would had rather read your thoughts on the matter rather than having to piece it together from remarks here and there. When I read your name as a responder, I had hope for that, instead I got a snide remark and veil attack on me.
    If you wish to take umbrage with me post it in the thread not on my profile wall. To answer your points. I find it insulting that you think you have the right to make up rules of (non) discourse and ask the curator to enforce them. In fact what you did is give the curator good reason to simply close the thread. Do you not realise that any threads are closed for not offering enough information for 'DISCUSSION.' The level of arrogance is almost impressive, but really not. Nothing about my comment was 'veiled.' I posted right here in the thread. Quit the passive aggressive bollocks Pike, it doesn't fool me for one second.

BTW.

I will invite anyone to share your thoughts, but no quoting, direct discussion or proposals.
    Why not have set guidelines if the goal is promote a higher level of discourse.
    Was the level of discourse to be via telepathy, maybe smoke signals!... You really do have your head where the sun don't shine sometimes.

I made a request ("ask") not a demand.

The point of the thread is have people share what they think without the need to "debate it" I was hoping to encourage those to timid to debate their POV to share.

Given the animosity expressed in the other thread I thought this thread could serve as a respite and showcase the class that the Curia is supposed to demonstrate. I am very sorry that you you believe the request was unreasonable.

I took your comments as a "veil" attack because of past encounters in which you made no qualms attacking my character. If your was mistaken, the I apologize.

Lastly, I believe the OP rule applied in the D & D forum?

Will you you share your thoughts?
    Last edited by PikeStance; March 11, 2016 at 10:11 AM.