Thread: SS 6.4 crash on battle load (Campaign)

ACMilan88's Avatar Semisalis

Default SS 6.4 crash on battle load (Campaign)

Everytime i choose to fight a battle in real-time the game crashes on battle load. It loads a little bit then crasches and i get the error "Medieval II has encountered an unspecified error...". Before i used to get an error message indicating there was a graphics error. However i solved the latter by change screen resolution and (believe it or not but it worked) uncheck the checkbox in time zone in date/time properties.

Still i get the unspecified error while loading a battle. Can't figure out what the problem might be.

I have the steam version of Medieval II, i think it was patched to 1.5 automatically through Steam when i checked. I installed Kingdoms with a hard copy/CD. Dunno if there's compatible issues installing Me2 through Steam and Kingdoms by CD?

My operative system is Win 7 and i'm using a laptop.

Help is appreciated

Default Re: SS 6.4 crash on battle load (Campaign)

Seems like there's missing files when looking in the SS log-file. Here's the last part:

18:47:16.780 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga,65580
    18:47:16.780 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/battlefield_border.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    18:47:16.796 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga,,,65580
    18:47:16.796 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga,,,-65580
    18:47:16.797 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/textures/#splash_ring.tga
    18:47:16.797 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga.dds,,not found
    18:47:16.797 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga.dds,,not found
    18:47:16.797 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#splash_ring.tga.dds is missing
    18:47:16.797 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga,,not found
    18:47:16.797 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga,16428
    18:47:16.798 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/#splash_ring.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    18:47:16.798 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga,,,16428
    18:47:16.799 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga,,,-16428
    18:47:16.799 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/textures/#water_drop.tga
    18:47:16.799 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#water_drop.tga.dds,,not found
    18:47:16.799 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#water_drop.tga.dds,,not found
    18:47:16.799 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#water_drop.tga.dds is missing
    18:47:16.799 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#water_drop.tga,,not found
    18:47:16.800 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#water_drop.tga,16428
    18:47:16.800 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/#water_drop.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    18:47:16.800 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/#water_drop.tga,,,16428
    18:47:16.800 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/#water_drop.tga,,,-16428
    18:47:16.800 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/textures/#weather.tga
    18:47:16.800 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#weather.tga.dds,,not found
    18:47:16.800 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#weather.tga.dds,,not found
    18:47:16.801 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#weather.tga.dds is missing
    18:47:16.801 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#weather.tga,,not found
    18:47:16.801 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#weather.tga,262188
    18:47:16.801 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/#weather.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    18:47:16.805 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/#weather.tga,,,262188
    18:47:16.809 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/#weather.tga,,,-262188
    18:47:21.380 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I tried playing a campaign battle with vanilla Kingdoms / Britania and it works fine. The problem seem to be with Stainless Steel... Please help, this is terribly frustrating.

I tried everything i can think of. I've:

• Changed time zone in date/time properties for Win 7
    • Selected compatible mode (windows XP Service pack 3) for MTWII exe, Kingdoms exe and Launcher exe (SS exe) and checked run in resolution 640 x 480
    • Changed resolution in medieval2.preference.cfg
    • Allowed the user (myself) full accesss to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War
    • ive also deleted the two campaign files mentioned somewhere on this forum
    • Runned everything as administrator

Totally out of ideas right now.. Strange there is no common solution for this as there are a few similar threads regarding similar errors. Meaby i did something wrong or missed something when installing this mod. What i did before i launched the game was:

• Installed MTW II through Steam.
    • Launched the game to check which version. It was version 1.5 so i assumed no patches where needed
    • Installed Kingdoms thorugh my Hard Copy / CD (the setup installed the files to the Steam directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\Kingdoms.exe)
    • Installed the Kingdoms 1.5 patch
    • Downloaded SS 6.3 and 6.4 patch (torrent)
    • Runned SS 6.3 exe as administrator and installed it (selected Lusteds campaign AI and Late Campaign)
    • Runned 6.4 as administrator and installed it (selected late campaign, cant remember if i was promted to select an AI put if so i selected Lusteds AI. Then i clicked start and exit
    • Started a campaign
    • Got Unspecified and graphic errors upon first battle load on campaign map

Anny ideas?
    Last edited by ACMilan88; March 07, 2016 at 01:18 PM.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Did you install with UAC disabled?

Have you run SS Set Up in MTW2/Mods/SS6.3?

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Not sure how to install with UAC disabled. Followed a guide on the forums and thought i only had to select properties for MTW II folder, go to security bar and give my user full access.

I runned ss setup from downloads folder on my computer.

OMG, you done a whole lot of stuff.

I would delete SS6.3 from Mods Folder, then re-install SS6.3 outside of Program Files, say in 'My Games', do the same with 6.4, then copy and paste a Kingdom Campaign Launcher from any Kingdoms Campaign and then it should work.

SS does not have to be in same folder as MTW2, only the same drive

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    OMG, you done a whole lot of stuff.

I would delete SS6.3 from Mods Folder, then re-install SS6.3 outside of Program Files, say in 'My Games', do the same with 6.4, then copy and paste a Kingdom Campaign Launcher from any Kingdoms Campaign and then it should work.

SS does not have to be in same folder as MTW2, only the same drive
    I see, thank you. Do i place the Kingdoms.exe in the SS 6.3 directory?

Installed it to another location, placed the kingdoms.exe in the SS 6.3 foldr. Runned the SS 6.4 Crashed when starting a new campaign.

Tried moving the files to the mods folder. Runned SS 6.4, crashed upon battle load like before giving me the grapics fatal error.

Ok, firstly understand how frustrating this is, ok I want you to delete SS, Clean Up and Registry Clean.

I want you to install 6.3 outside of Program Files, copy and paste that Kingdoms exe and try to play a battle and report back, do not install 6.4

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    Ok, firstly understand how frustrating this is, ok I want you to delete SS, Clean Up and Registry Clean.

I want you to install 6.3 outside of Program Files, copy and paste that Kingdoms exe and try to play a battle and report back, do not install 6.4
    Ok i'd installed SS6.3 to another folder. Placed kingdoms.exe in the SS 6.3 folder but complains oabout missing dll's. Should i point the kingdoms exe against the SS launcher or something?

MTW II is located on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War
    SS is now located in C:\Program Files\SS6.3

Oh dear, I have no idea on waht is going on here, take a look at this thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=1#post9297848

Well i guess i can go on forever with this, seem like a waste of time. Been trying for days now. I'll play vanilla for a while and see if i encounter anny problems. It's possible i'm experiancing these problems because i have Medieval II Steam version and Kingdoms retail version, however i started a Brittania campaign and it seem to work fine. In that case it's the mod causing the errors. Also when installing the retail version of Kingdoms it locates Medievatl II at the steam location on my computer so all the files should be in the right place.

I might buy Kingdoms of Steam in the future to see if that works if i encounter anny similar errors in vanilla kingdoms. As kingdoms seem to work this is unlikely though.

Very frustrating, was looking forward to play this mod again.

Thanks alot for trying to help.