Thread: Unit spacing and city zoom.

Default Unit spacing and city zoom.

Ok, now that the text files have been released, does anyone know any way of making the soldiers in a unit not space out like crazy over a huge area as soon as they enter melee? As soon as you enter a fight they lose all cohesion and only 3 or 4 guys at the front actually fight while they rest move back a HUGE distance and just watch like retards. In the first demo this didn't happen; they would all try to engage the enemy instead of just standing back like cowards and let the first 5 guys do all the fighting. I want them to maintain cohesion and try to try to maintain the same spacing as before they enter melee. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I tried looking in export_descr_units.txt and there is a number that defines the spacing between each man in a unit, but it only defines the spacing of loose and normal formation BEFORE the unit enters combat. As soon as they enter combat they seem to want to try to maintain at least 20 feet bwteeen each man. Completely disgusting.

Also, in strat.txt there is an entry for zooming in to view a settlement on the battle map. Now i don't know what this file does, but from the looks of it it seems to contain all the pop-up texts that you get when you hover your mouse over a button in the UI. And since there is a text for the city zoom feature that must mean that it's still in the game but not implemented in the UI for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas to which files the strat.txt file is connected so i can have a look?

Thanks.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Default Re: Unit spacing and city zoom.

I gave my heavy infantry tighter spacing and "disciplined, highly_trained" mental stats and it seemed to make unit cohesion better but alas, the bug was still there.

Moved to Text Editing and Scripting.

I just hope it really is a bug and not a "feature" that never gets fixed. I remember reading one of the dev blogs where it said they had worked hard to remove the "blob" from RTW by introducing some kind of penalty for blobbing. This unit spacing thing might just be that penalty, so maybe they intended it this way, in which case it might never get fixed. Anyway, i say bring back the old blob!!! It was way better than this crap. Also, with the current system it's almost impossible to surround and enemy unit since all your guys will be busy retreating instead of moving in to occupy any empty space in order to surround the enemy. I'm guessing, however, that these text files that have been released are only a fraction of the total files. Hopefully there'll be another filke that directly controls unit spacing in melee when we get the extractor and patch, as well as some way to edit the blood. I want the old demo blood back!

Ok, now that the patch is out and they STILL didn't fix that formation bug, i thought i'd resurrect this thread. Does anyone know if it's possible to fix it through modding? Please say it's so.

bump