Thread: Battle/Counter-Cavalry mechanics question

Default Battle/Counter-Cavalry mechanics question

One thing I have always wondered, against a cavalry charge for an infantry unit that doesn't have any special abilities to counter the charge, is it better to

1. Stand Still and "brace" for impact
    2. Counter-charge.. charge at the cavalry at the last moment
    3. Charge towards the cavalry as soon as you see it charging towards you

Default Re: Battle/Counter-Cavalry mechanics question

if it's not a pike unit or an elite spearmen unit forget it, you already lost.

You could always exploit the AI and save your men. Run away a bit, cause the cavalry to go into "pursuing" mode and then attack the cavalry. The cavalry won't receive the charge bonus and will melee your infantry.

If you stand still, you will cause some casualties on the cavalry, but your entire unit will probably be wiped out.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Different units provide different results. Using French heavy infantry, I inflict more damage by charging at the opposing calvary when they are 15-20 feet away.

ive noticed no matter how many cavalry the enemy has, if they charge u ull lose half ur unit, for example i was taking nottingham with a long weary battle, after a while all i had left was a unit of about 50 dismountal feudal knights and 2 almost full units of archers, the enemy had one unit of 7 cavalry, they charge me and i instantly lost 27 knights, down to 23, they fought for a while and then my units ran, only killing 2 of the 7 enemies, then they charged my archers and i lost.

btw my knights were all in formation and bracing
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

2 words: Loose Formation

Place a low lvl unit in loose formation in front of the spear units
    The low lvl units in loose formation will bog down the cav so that spear units may move in for a kill...

dunno whether or not it will work after the patch...

A fortune teller once told Jack Bauer the following: "In the century 21st, you will be the savior of the world... seven seasons in a row." Moments later, Jack Bauer shot him in the kneecaps, and yelled "WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?!"

To "complete" chaostheory's claims, i'd add that the unit in loose formation should be a skirmishing unit : i NEVER managed to charge archers : they retreat and once i hit them with my cav they just envelop and slaughter my cav.