Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heroes?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default heroes?

I have played medieval 2 for a while now and I am reallly seeing something missing.

Battles become more personal if there would be certain 1 man units around that are much tougher than anything else without becoming a god.

Each faction could have a few of these units and there should be a long waiting time before another one of that type becomes available again.

They could be named champions, master archers, grand warriors, exiled knights and such.

Their presence could boost the morale greatly and when killed it could lower the morale greatly.

An archer hero would never miss, a hero on a horse could have a strong charge on his own, an infantry hero could boost the morale the most because they are truly were the action is, beside the common soldiers.

the kind of hero units could depend on the factions too of course. the danes would have infantry heroes mostly and the english could have a longbow hero, etc.

This could really be something great for a mod. It would make the battles as personal as in a movie. medieval 2 feels a bit like a movie with only extras. Yes there are generals and captains but you cant really throw them into much action and they always have the same weapons.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: heroes?

Please no, the TW series has never been about rpg style heroes, its about huge armies colliding, not 1 man super units beating the hell out of everyone else.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Opifex

Well then there's always the hyper-unrealistic MTW1, where kings would single-handedly fight off entire armies People conveniently overlook MTW1's many gaps such as this. But I agree, the point of TW games has never been, and should never have been, about rpg-style pwning units.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Please no, the TW series has never been about rpg style heroes, its about huge armies colliding, not 1 man super units beating the hell out of everyone else.
    I agree. Bad idea.

Jedi generals are enough!

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

I also agree. Bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    *Cough* Mongol Invasion *Cough*
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    Well then there's always the hyper-unrealistic MTW1, where kings would single-handedly fight off entire armies People conveniently overlook MTW1's many gaps such as this. But I agree, the point of TW games has never been, and should never have been, about rpg-style pwning units.
    Oh, how we idealize the past...

Live long Eternal Rome
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Oddball_E8's Avatar Senator
    in Skåne (the most southern province of Sweden). Furulund to be more precise... look it up

hehehe... i remember my japanese faction leader with his 2 elite bodyguards holding off an entire enemy army once...

boy was he good!
    addicted modder... but crap at it

i agree, it wouldn't be very exciting since the AI hero would only attack one unit at a time, which would take so long that I would probably die of old age. same with the archer hero, who would just sit there and loose off arrows until somebody routs or they just get tired of waiting and withdraw

they could also make wizards! they would shoot giant fireballs every 2 seconds that would be like grand bombard shots, only perfectly accurate.

no, seriously.. i wouldnt mind a couple of 1-man units, but ones that were seriously balanced.
    for example a champion berserker that you could send in. just one man with a big 2-hander, and you sent him charging into the enemy. he would die miserably, maybe take out 2-3 spearmen, but it would be fun to watch
    maybe i can mod a unit like this, hehe

What I'd like to see? Actual retinue.

Shieldbearers. Berserkers. Templar Knights. These things should be represented on the battlefield! Keep them alive, and they greatly increase your general's fighting power. Get them killed? There goes your retinue.

"I am what the Gods have made me!"

Primicerius

Speaking of that has anyone besides me noticed that there are no longer the officers and standard-bearers that we all knew and loved in RTW, I really hope that they can be modded in, they truly were a personal touch.

hmm what i think he means is like give units certain reveinues like i dont know, local champion to certain batalions, which gives like a new portait to the units much like general one, that appears rarely on campaign map which offers better stats like + attack, defence, morale or something like that to the units under his control. i dont think it would work well tbh but meh

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosius View Post
    they could also make wizards! they would shoot giant fireballs every 2 seconds that would be like grand bombard shots, only perfectly accurate.

no, seriously.. i wouldnt mind a couple of 1-man units, but ones that were seriously balanced.
    for example a champion berserker that you could send in. just one man with a big 2-hander, and you sent him charging into the enemy. he would die miserably, maybe take out 2-3 spearmen, but it would be fun to watch
    maybe i can mod a unit like this, hehe

It would be wicked like if the Scots could have Williams Wallace, the English Richard the Lionheart or King Arthur (totally ahistorical), or the French could have Joan of Arc (summoning angels to do battle for her), but, well, I mean, Obilvion sorta fills that role for me

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

It wouldnt need to be a super unit, it would just be one thats a bit harder to kill.

The soldier would beat anything else in one on one but of course wouldnt be able to defeat entire armies alone. My idea would be to send him in together with a group of units of the same type and you could look into the battle to see how the hero guy is doing. He would be easy to spot since he would look unique and it would also be cool to see how the enemy hero is slaughtering your soldiers.

they tried doing this in the rtw mod Troy, and it ended up a mess because hero units would just massicre everything especially when paired with other units.

Well we used to have the sword saints in STW's expansion.

They weren't really that interesting.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

This thread seems more suited to The Gathering, moved.

Ah my Varangian Guard general slaughtering the entire polish army single-handed. Those were the days. What I'd like to see is perhaps an upgrade for troops that adds a drummer (faster formations) a captain (+1 morale for unit) and a standard (increased chance of rally). They could be from castles with a certain building like a military academy or something. I don't know about the hero thing but I'd like to see more 'foot generals' rather than just captains. Henry V surely wasn't unique in that respect.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

I think it'd be cool if they put a thing in where you could pick a soldier and jump into his body, whether in 1st or third person and fight it out. Would probably be way unbalanced, but still be pretty fun. Youd only move as fast as they do, have tio stay with your unit and only get the slow moves they do. It could work.

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

Personally I'd just settle for certain famous characters appearing in the family tree with predetermined stats, retinue, ancillaries, etc., eg. Joan of Arc They could be triggered to arrive in a certain timeframe as well. Basically just adopted using the existing mechanism into the family tree.

Under proud patronage of halie satanus and House of Wilpuri
    Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo!
    Trans: Keep honking - I'm reloading!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast