Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sundered Land: A Guide to the Reunited Kingdom

Default Re: Sundered Land: A Guide to the Reunited Kingdom

Running v. 3.1

What is the best strategy to manage RK's economy? From what I've tried so far, the 20k they start out with just isn't enough to do any building of much anything early in the campaign, as money need to be devoted to maintaining armies to cover both north and south.

So what/how are the best ways to build and make money to continue building, while also expanding the army? Raiding Adunabar doesn't seem to be enough money to be worth it, nor does simply opening trade with Harondor and Tharbad. And at best, the good troops are expensive and so are the buildings needed for growth, so by turn three you're in the red. (I guess I've been spoiled playing Dwarves too much)
    Any good tips?

1) Accept the fact that you're not going to upgrade your buildings anytime soon.

2) Use your starting funds to build up the barracks in Annuminas and Bree, because you'll really, really need them. Building tier 2 barracks in Bree will also allow you to make use of the local ranger hold.

3) Build ships! For reasons of balancing, your fleet is a lot cheaper than your land units, so the Alcarondas trained in Pelargir are your best counter to Harad trying to land armies in your lands. This also frees up the units there, which you can either disband (one unit of amroth men-at-arms costs over 600 per turn!), or use to gain more momentum against Adunabar. Make liberal use of scouts so that you don't miss a single Haradrian troop transport.

4) Compare your units' upkeep costs. All your units are crazily expensive, but some more so than others. For instance, one unit of militia costs 230 per turn, while one unit of Gondor/Eriador archers only costs 90, making them a lot better suited for garrison duties.

5) Make use of choke points. The age of fair and square army clashes is over. The fourth age belongs not to heroes, but to tacticians. A few tough units and some catapults can hold a bridge against vastly more powerful enemies, while your main army is off doing something useful.

Great points from The Sloth.

Especially the point about getting some Military Development happening in Annuminas & Bree. Bree's Ranger Hold isn't exactly hidden, but it's easy to miss, and all you need to bring it online are Mustering Fields - which will also be useful for training other troops. Population in the North is so low that you can't rely on one settlement doing all the training anyway, so you'll need to spread it around between settlements.

I can't remember if I've managed to stay in the black entirely in an RK campaign, but by following those tips you should have an easier time.

Oh, and don't be too proud to accept ceasefire offers - as long as you make your enemies pay gold up front for the privilege!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

The problem with the Bree (in 3.2) is that Adunabar always rush on it since turn 2-3 and even with forces from amon sul I can't hold it so I abandon it. In your campaigns this is happening the same?

I try to get some field battles in before Adunabar gets to Bree.

First off, I get every unit out of Annuminas except for a single garrison unit. I send them down towards Bree, swinging southwest around Fornost to avoid getting stalled there. (Let Adunabar try & take Fornost; it's very close to your production center, very far from theirs, and they'll lose troops fighting the rebels there, not you.) Meanwhile I'm training in Bree & Annuminas, and sending my Amon Sul troops westward (again, except for a single garrison unit).

After the first turn or 2, I usually see an Adunabar army approaching Bree, usually somewhere south of Amon Sul. I gather my forces and fight them, or let them attack me in the field. Or sometimes the best option is to put them all in Bree and wait for a siege.

It all depends, but my units in the Northern theater are constantly moving around in the wilderness. I'll rush them down to Threeways if I think I can get away with it - not because I think I can actually hold Threeways, but because it will divert Adunabar's attention away from Bree. When I'm satisfied that I won't get attacked by Adunabar from the south, I'll send my main army east, toward the unwalled towns northwest of Lastbridge. And then Lastbridge itself. But I always try to keep my army moving, fight Adunabar in the field whenever possible, and distract them from Bree & Annuminas by targeting their own production centers. It's a rather stressful little dance, but it works!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Thank you for this tips, I will try RK campaign today from the scratch with your guide, excellent work!

The diplomacy guide gives some pointers on getting money out of other factions using diplomacy. If make use of just some of those techniques it can make a big difference. Otherwise, the best advice usually offered is: Expand, fast. If you can get naval superiority, you can raid the coast of Harad. They are usually poorly defended and can net you above 100k (I think I remember several times that) if you flatten all the settlements. Of coarse, achieving naval superiority usually means spending a lot of money repairing ships.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12