Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IMPERIA ET BARBARI presentation and feedback

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Default Re: IMPERIA ET BARBARI - a major overhaul modification of Attila Total War. Initial release v1.0, 2016-03-04

This is a wonderful mod, having a great time with my ERE campaign
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

squeehunter's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: IMPERIA ET BARBARI - a major overhaul modification of Attila Total War. Initial release v1.0, 2016-03-04

This mod is really amazing.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but why is Charlemagne's name left that way? My history professor always said he would have been known as Carolus Magnus or something of that sort.

this an outstanding news ! Very happy to see modders with big ambitions !

Before playing with your mod, a question :
    your roman roaster is pretty strange, mixing generic units with real -unique- ones, wich sometimes..are the same !
    for instance your WRE elite infantry contains legio palatina AND ioviani, herculiani and armigeri wich are actually legio palatina. Same goes for auxilia palatina and heruli, batavi, exculcatores iuniores, petulantes and others..Why not keeping only real units (with their real shield pattern, knowned via the notita) ? Maybe an AOR (like in radious mod) could be the answer, what do you think ?

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

2 big historical mods now, this and FotE. Except for the campaign stuff, what's different? I really wanna be able to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    2 big historical mods now, this and FotE. Except for the campaign stuff, what's different? I really wanna be able to pick.
    IEB has rosters done across the board, rather than FotE having some factions done. FotE's units have more complete descriptions explaining the social origin of the units. The mods have their own battle balances and tastes.

@All, thank you very much for the positive feedback :-)
    I will try my best to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorien View Post
    this an outstanding news ! Very happy to see modders with big ambitions !

Before playing with your mod, a question :
    your roman roaster is pretty strange, mixing generic units with real -unique- ones, wich sometimes..are the same !
    for instance your WRE elite infantry contains legio palatina AND ioviani, herculiani and armigeri wich are actually legio palatina. Same goes for auxilia palatina and heruli, batavi, exculcatores iuniores, petulantes and others..Why not keeping only real units (with their real shield pattern, knowned via the notita) ? Maybe an AOR (like in radious mod) could be the answer, what do you think ?
    Hi Majorien

The generic Palatina units are kept in the roster, so the player can still recruit a sufficient number of them without recruiting to many of the named units. The named units have better stats than the generic one. They are AoR restricted already.

Iutland

Quote Originally Posted by squeehunter View Post
    This mod is really amazing.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but why is Charlemagne's name left that way? My history professor always said he would have been known as Carolus Magnus or something of that sort.
    I couldn't decide what to name him: Latin, German or French name.
    I will go for the best and reasonable suggestion, when updating to IEB 1.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaar View Post
    Kære Iutland, i am still thankful for your awesome NTW Mod and i was hoping for a ATW overhaul and always looking for the big projects.... but you!! made it again
    I will give it a try as soon i am back from vacation.... damn i hope it will be over soon just kidding
    So thanks and Rep to bring in some fresh air.... it´s a total need here
    btw: do i have to have those 2 dlc`s, i am still boykotting this DLC policy but this charlamagne seems to be a real addon, right? so i might get it if its worth it.
    Med de bedste ønsker
    Mange tak, min ven :-)

I hope it will live up to your expectations ;-)

I don't know if it will work without the DLC campaigns, otherwise I may need to separate the mod into two packs, but would like to avoid it. Let me know if it works?

Takker
    Iutland

Quote Originally Posted by Draewn View Post
    @Shieldwall/Screen: The thing that clinches it for me is that you have to configure things around the capability of one mode or the other - if infantry are configured around having shield wall on, then they are weaker than they should be on the attack (because it's very difficult to attack from that mode, and the only methods for doing so take away all charge bonus), or if they are configured around the standard mode, they are more powerful than they ought to be if you manage to get the set formation to work for you - when it doesn't seem like it's actually modeling a thing that was 'toggled' in battles, any more than hoplites would enter and exit phalanx formation during a battle. I'd much rather see close order infantry be in their proper fighting formation at all times and balanced accordingly. That gets you some questionable results when applied to situations like walls combat, but the shield-wall ability is just clunky in a way that doesn't feel realistic, and isn't particularly fun besides.

Shield Screen, on the other hand, I quite like the way you set it up as a concept for troops that were too inexperienced to articulate effectively and could only stay coherent in a static position - but the AI doesn't know how to handle it, so alas.
    Thank you for the Shield Wall/Screen description, Draewn :-)

It gives me something to look at when updating the mod. Let me know if you have more to add to it?

Cheers
    Iutland

Quote Originally Posted by Iutland View Post
    I couldn't decide what to name him: Latin, German or French name.
    I will go for the best and reasonable suggestion, when updating to IEB 1.1?
    I've got some good news and a complaint. Here's the good news:

Here's a quote from my old medieval history professor:

Most often he was Carolus Rex Francorum - king of the Franks. His kingdom was the Regnum Francorum. He also adds Rex Longobardorum - king of the Lombards after 774. Einhard calls him magnus, but i doubt he used it in his own titles. Maybe.

For imperial title, he used some form of Augustus.

To be 100% certain, i would need to track down one of his charters in Latin.
    The second part is, I'm really confused about the names of the units. Specifically the English names mixed with the non-English names. The English names just take me out of it and I read what you wrote about why it's like that but I still don't get it. But to make a compliment sandwich, I am so happy that you can unlock a lot of units very early on. It just makes more sense.

On the issue of names, I'd actually argue in the opposite direction from the split. Name flavor is good, but knowing what your units are is essential. Particularly in the absence of complete mouseover descriptions as seen in Fall of the Eagles, units with only 'authentic' names are ciphers to anyone without a good background in the history of the faction being discussed. It's a cool treat for those who know, but everyone else still needs to be able to play the game, particularly given that the unit cards often aren't a 1:1 depiction of the troops. Best-fit English names (perhaps with parenthetical localized names) are the best option IMO. Veteran Tribal Spearmen (Dugunthiz) or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Draewn View Post
    On the issue of names, I'd actually argue in the opposite direction from the split. Name flavor is good, but knowing what your units are is essential. Particularly in the absence of complete mouseover descriptions as seen in Fall of the Eagles, units with only 'authentic' names are ciphers to anyone without a good background in the history of the faction being discussed. It's a cool treat for those who know, but everyone else still needs to be able to play the game, particularly given that the unit cards often aren't a 1:1 depiction of the troops. Best-fit English names (perhaps with parenthetical localized names) are the best option IMO. Veteran Tribal Spearmen (Dugunthiz) or something like that.
    You make a good point, and now that I think about it, authentic names might be a bad ideal. I just don't like when they're called "warriors". Everyone is a warrior. Something like "thegns" could be "Anglo-Saxon Noble Swordsman".

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Dugunthiz (Veteran Tribal Spearmen ) would be my preference. Similar to what DeI and EB do. And in regards to Charlemagne, leave it I'd say. Everyone calls him Charlemagne, it being anything else is just being contrary.

nord13's Avatar Foederatus

thx for great mod its awsome..only downside for me recruicment system..i playin as Danes in AOC and at start of the first turn i can able to recruit all avaible viking units instantly in mead hall!! i would like a bit more challenge to get higher tier unit.. imean maybe you can only recruit some high tier units in mid game and elite one for late game..i hope you will do some tweaks for it because i realy enjoyin playin this mod

Default IMPERIA ET BARBARI - a major overhaul modification of Attila Total War. Initi...

Quote Originally Posted by nord13 View Post
    thx for great mod its awsome..only downside for me recruicment system..i playin as Danes in AOC and at start of the first turn i can able to recruit all avaible viking units instantly in mead hall!! i would like a bit more challenge to get higher tier unit.. imean maybe you can only recruit some high tier units in mid game and elite one for late game..i hope you will do some tweaks for it because i realy enjoyin playin this mod
    You're welcome. I have no intention of reverting back to vanilla recruitment paths, but upgrading the buildings gives access to more experienced units.

Default Re: IMPERIA ET BARBARI presentation and feedback

I'm on turn 46 now in my ERE campaign. Great stuff.

Can anything be done with the Raze Settlement-option for the AI? On turn 46, most regions from present day Poland to the eastern border of the map are razed. Most of the Sassanids eastern satrapies ar also razed.

It seems to be an eastern thing, because there is almost no razing in the west.

Some regions get resettled for a while and then they are gone again.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Great work again, Iutland! One quick question: are the ranges for ranged weapons accurate? They seem short. For example javelins aren't terribly useful as they skirmish away before throwing any. If they are accurate then ignore me and I'll learn how to use them!

As Black9 mentioned, is there something wrong with archers? In one battle my archers just stood there without firing, I had to reposition them and then they fired. They were close to the enemy and had a clear shot.

You always make my favorite mods, Iutland, good to see you back at it.
    One thing that bothered me about the grand campaign is that the Eastern and Western Roman empires have different religions, even though this game takes place before the East-West Christian split. I thought it might be something worth looking into, I definitely have a reason to play Attila now!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast