Thread: New factions in Iberia TW Gold

Default New factions in Iberia TW Gold

The new version, Iberia Total War Gold, will fill the 20 RTW factions with 6 new Iberian factions. I will present them in this thread.

We start with a celtic faction of the north of Iberia, located in the current Asturias and Leon, and the most important settlement was Asturica (Astorga nowadays)
    THE ASTURIANS

OFFICERS

Here you are: officer, general, musician and standard.

UNITS

Four units of the asturian infantry: caetrati, scutati, slingers and lanceati.

Three cavalry units: jinetes, light cavalry and skirmishers.

Now we go to the south, in the current zone of Granada and Almeria, to visit..
    THE BASTETANI.

Due to the similarity in culture and the close geographical proximity, this faction is very similar to the Turdetani, both in units and equipment.

OFFICERS
    From left to right: officer, general, musician and standard.

UNITS

Infantry: lanceati, mastieni, caetrati, slinger and scutati.

Cavalry: skirmishers (javelins), bastetani cavalry (sword), nobles (they act as the general bodyguards) and light cavalry (falaricas and spear).

In next posts, the other four new factions.
    Cheers.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: New factions in Iberia TW Gold

Very interesting! I wonder about your choice here.
    I like the Asturians, and the Bastetani look good, as usual, but, yes, VERY similar to the Turdetani. In fact, the latter appear like "yellow Turdetani" to me. So, when I have played the Turdetani, which I will for sure, I will not find the Bastetani so interesting to play.
    Are you sure that the playability of ITW is not benefitted more by including some other and more unique-looking faction? If you have run out on new unique-looking Iberian tribes and still want to add some factions to the game, I would have preferred all new factions to be unique-looking Greek city-states, Italian peoples or Gallic tribes instead, especially if these non-Iberian parties played a more significant role for the historical development of the whole area. This also in order to spread out the many different factions more evenly across the map.
    But that's just my opinion. It'll be a great game regardless.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Only scutati is = model, guy. It is because we work with historical art for it "Osuna relieve". Is type of unit is similar enter both peoples by that.

Saludos

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritus View Post
    Very interesting! I wonder about your choice here.
    I like the Asturians, and the Bastetani look good, as usual, but, yes, VERY similar to the Turdetani. In fact, the latter appear like "yellow Turdetani" to me. So, when I have played the Turdetani, which I will for sure, I will not find the Bastetani so interesting to play.
    Are you sure that the playability of ITW is not benefitted more by including some other and more unique-looking faction? If you have run out on new unique-looking Iberian tribes and still want to add some factions to the game, I would have preferred all new factions to be unique-looking Greek city-states, Italian peoples or Gallic tribes instead, especially if these non-Iberian parties played a more significant role for the historical development of the whole area. This also in order to spread out the many different factions more evenly across the map.
    But that's just my opinion. It'll be a great game regardless.
    I understand your point, but our reasons to include these factions (and the rest we will show early) are:
    - Our main goal is to show the civilizations in the Iberia area up to the roman conquest. There are other mods dealing with the factions in the other areas of the map.
    - These new factions are planned only for custom battles and MP, with the idea of a future MP campaign and/or tournament. The units will be also valuable for rebels, to give them a large variety and a different atmosphere.

That means that the campaigns will be very similar to those in ITW 1.5, but we will have more possibilities for MP and custom battles.

A further reason for the similarities is the limit in number of models. We are really close to that limit and the different factions must share the models.

Cheers.

Bfter some days of absence, due to family and job problems, here you are the previews of two new factions of ITW Gold: carpetani and gallaeci.

CARPETANI

This faction shares some characteristics of the celtiberians, but also some influence of the iberian tribes.

These are the officers (from left to right): standard, general, officer and musician.

Now the units, with some of the definite names in the native language, thanks to the join effort of Idibil and Karmipoka.

INFANTRY

From left to right:
    Auzares Olocas (spearmen), Slingers, Caetrati and Ozeres (scutati).
    This faction will use also some olcadian units, the skirmishers presented with the edetani, and also one unit of olcadian scutati.

CAVALRY

Kustaikos (carpetani cavalry), Eskenim (skirmishers) and Konsabura Bendh (carpetani riders).

GALLAECI

This faction shares some characteristics of the celtic tribes (asturi and cantabri) but also of the lusitani.

Firstly the officers: officer, general, standard and musician.

INFANTRY

Ambati (caetrati), Callaici (spearmen), Artabroi (harponeers), Bouti (slingers) and Catuni (scutati).

CAVALRY

Arqui (skirmishers) and Apana Maghi (gallaeci riders).

Very soon (I hope :hmmm: ) more previews.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Great stuff, as usual! Looks like a lot of wild battles will be faught on the Iberian peninsula soon!
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

I await the ITW gold... as do many others. Keep up the fantastic work!!
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

HI
    ITW is very good
    i wait on gold i am sure it will be perfect,
    anyway:
    i think it would be very interesting to make some greek cities independant
    you write that your goal are the civilizations in iberia and the greeks were there too (only the city emporiae i think)

I agree with Demokritus and Turk above -- I'd MUCH rather see Greek colony-states like Massilia and Syracuse as factions than more Iberian tribes -- you guys have already done a beautiful job with the tribes; I'm afraid if you add more then Iberia will be too cluttered with factions.

Instead of more Iberian tribes, it would be good to add the Greek colonies (Syracuse and Masilia) and both Numidia and Mauretania to N. Africa, and perhaps another Gallic tribe.

Is there any relation between the Carpetani and Carpia, the supposed new capital of the Tartessian Empire after the sinking of Tartessos?

That seems a fantasy of Strabo. The Carpetani is located to the north of Turdetania, the true heiress of Tartessos, and Oretania. The Carpetani is a transition people between Iberian and Celtiberian. It is even said that they are Celtiberian with many Iberian cultural elements. Their main cities are Ercauica, Secobirizes and Contrebia Carbica.
    « ...nolo virum facili redimit qui sanguine famam, hunc volo, laudari qui sine morte potest. » Marcvs Valerivs Martialis

Saint George and Aragon!!!

and what about the celtici tribe ?

its maybe the 2º more important tribe in portugal (ancient world) at north of the conni people !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...principais.png
    Last edited by Ataegina; April 05, 2007 at 11:37 PM.
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

I think that they are ready and dont want to change sth with the factions anymore

Busy!!!

its just a suggestion ^^
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

We have 20 factions only, guy. We think that have chose the tribes most import of Hispania in mod yet. Celtici was a tribu of ancient portugal, but they are less import that lusitanian, and there are few documentation about they. We preferred to Lusitanian.

Un saludo.

Have you already used the senate faction? some mods do and there is no problem.

yes, we used senate faction for romans.