Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome vs Medieval 2: A comparison of the best non-Warscape Total War

Icon3 Rome vs Medieval 2: A comparison of the best non-Warscape Total War

These two games are were the Total War franchise has shined the most. Shogun 2 was a great addition to the series, but it is still plagued with many problems simply by being on the Warscape Engine. Before I go into the differences, I want to point out that these 2 games are extremely similar, not clearly destroying the other in a certain category. One isn't the clear victor, though, I believe, in the end, one is better than the other. That out of the way, let's begin with the campaign portion.
    Campaign AI: People seem to be split on this on. Ignoring the extremists, people still say there is a difference. Some say Rome's was slightly better, others, Medieval's. To me, they both perform fairly similar. If you're weak, the AI will break alliances and invade you. The AI is pretty much always aloof at best, keep a varying amount of troops in its city for arbitrary reasons, and field massive field armies, but refuse to keep multiple stacks together (unless its the Mongols). I'm fairly convinced the differences in AI people see between these two games are at random. Sometimes the CAI is entertaining and challenging, other times it will decide that the best action for the Moors in MTW2 is to sail over half its army to England to capture one city. Basically, your results may vary
    City and Town management: Medieval pretty clearly wins here. Rome's basically came down to making sure squalor wasn't to overburdening your populace, and then slaughtering the populace when you failed to keep squalor form overburdening your populace. In Medieval, General's have an additional stat that affects the populace; there are decisions of whether the build a castle for better troops or town for more stable income; there's a larger variety in buildings, there's a larger incentive to special some settlements in certain areas, and more. Rome's wasn't horrible, but Medieval 2 definitely was superior in this facet.
    Troop Recruitment and Management: Medieval 2, easily. Armies function the same way, but Medieval 2 has a much better recruitment system. In Rome, once you built a higher tier unit, there was little reason to build the lower tier one. In Medieval 2, troops has a cooldown timer, some as high as 10 turns before more could be recruited. This made it so lower-tier troops are still ubiquitous, even in the late game, and there was a much higher priority on keeping your elite units alive.
    Campaign Progression: In Rome, campaigns are can consist of establishing a dominate force in the early game. Mid-game consists of combating the neighboring powerful states and remnants of smaller fractions while putting down the 20th squalor rebellion. Late-game consists of hitting Esc and clicking Quit game, then starting a new campaign, since you're an unstoppable force at that point. The only major change to the campaign is when the new Roman legionaries are introduced, and (if playing as Rome) the inner war between the Roman fractions after you refuse to kill your fraction leader again. Medieval 2 doesn't have that problem, well at least not to the same degree. Early game is about the same, but mid and late game have exciting additions. Instead of legionaries, and entirely new unit is introduced, gunpowder units. Instead of steamrolling neighboring fractions, you'll be worried about yourself getting steamrolled by the impeding Mongol invasion. Defeated the Mongols? Well, now face the Timurids (Monghols on steriods). There's just more to keep things interesting.
    The power you beckon to, the Pope vs the Senate: This isn't much of a competition. The Senate gives you missions that follow no discernible logic, that you will completely ignore, making the Senate hate you. You'll be too busy expanding your own empire the way you want to, making the people love you; this will allow you to take Rome without making enemies with the entire world like the Senate keeps ordering you too). The Senate aspect is enjoyable, and the assessments and orders they give provide context and atmosphere for the world. but the Senate gives atrocious missions. In Medieval. the Senate is replaced with The Council of Nobles, whose missions are completely optional. Now we have the Pope. The Pope very much is a fun game gameplay mechanic. If you get on his bad side, he'll prevent you from attacking other Christian nations, or even excommunicate you and open you up to all of Christendom declaring war on your heretic ass. Get on his good side, and he'll conveniently make conquering the other European factions easier. The Papacy's mission were never as demanding, with most just demanding the player to recruit a priest for 200 florins, then rewarding you with 500 florins. The inquisitors were also a nice touch, as they forced the player to make sure your nearby family members were pious enough for the Pope.
    Miscellaneous: Medieval 2 adds a few things that Rome doesn't have. A chivalry and dread dynamic based on your deeds, prisoners, more voices, crusades and jihads, and smaller things that just add a bit more to the game
    So the campaign, in my opinion, is better in Medieval 2. But what about the main reason we play Total War, the battles?
    The Battle AI: Same with the campaign AI. Both can put up decent fights, or run straight into your pikes. Results may very. I have noticed Medieval 2 makes it's units runs back and forth indecisively less than Rome, yet they also don't seem to mind been barraged by arrows as much as Rome's AI. The AI in both games is extremely similar, though I have noticed the path finding in Medieval's is a bit better, so having 1 soldier getting stuck on some terrain, thus glitching out an entire unit, is less likely to happen in Medieval 2.
    Battles, how they play and look: Rome's battles quicker. Soldiers respond to orders faster, and fights end quicker. It's about holding your formation, but all rushing units to the correct position quickly as possible. The formation that collapses is usually going to lose. Medieval 2 slows things down. Soldiers are more sluggish in response time, so more emphasize is placed upon correct positioning. Medieval 2 focuses more on setting-up the effective charge and flank, which should seem obvious since cavalry play a larger role. Fights last longer and soldiers move slower, and this was a wise decision, as this makes cavalry more crucial. Since they run so much faster, they are the troops used to charge infantry not in formation, and the units to behind a fight to attack the enemy from behind. Neither system is necessarily better, and I should point out that I made the differences seems larger than they actually are. Both work well with the units you are given. Watching a fight is a bit more entertains in Medieval 2, ought the increased amount and quality of the animations.
    Faction Variety: Rome's factions played much different from each other. There are some factions that are just variations of others, but there is a diverse amount of play styles in the game. Rome, for example, relies on its infantry. Spamming cav as Rome would get you laughed at in a MP battle. Parthia, on the other hand, plays completely different. They are more about setting up that cataphract charge above all else. Even barbarians play differently, with certain factions focusing on skirmishing, some infantry, some balanced, and more. There's a lot of variety. Medieval 2's factions separate into 3 categories. Those who focus on horse archers, those focus on cav, and Scotland. All the Christian factions are just variations of each other. Some will be slightly better at archery but weaker at melee, some have better cav but worse archers, ect... This applies to many of the Muslim and Eastern factions as well. Horse archers make a faction play differently, but they are about the only different kind of play style. Then there's Scotland; the best strategy being returning to the main menu and selecting a new faction, because they are basically a European faction without any decent cav, aka screwed. Many prefer Rome for this reason alone, the variety of play styles.
    Unit detail: Something that does make surprisingly large difference is difference between how the units look. In Rome, all your units of a certain type look that same. In Medieval 2, many have different helmets, armor, and faces. They armor level they are at will even affect the armor they're wearing. It's a small detail that makes watching battles more interesting.
    Other points:
    Performance: Though a high fps isn't crucial for these games, it does hinder the experience ever so slightly if the frame rate drops too much. Rome, sadly, only uses one CPU core. This is why Medieval 2, despite looking much better, runs so considerably better. Situations that dip to 20fps in Rome may still run at 60fps in Medieval 2.
    Mods: Varies, but there are more massive mods out there for Medieval 2, probably ought to the additional features. Both games have some quality mods that enhance the vanilla experience, but there's nothing quite like the Third Age mod for Medieval 2 for Rome.
    Expansions: Barbarian Invasion adds a completely new setting. It's interesting, and arguably better than Rome vanilla. Medieval 2 Kingdoms adds a bunch of new unique factions and play styles, especially in the American campaign (even if the new Apaches, Aztecs, and the like blow); Kingdoms also had the benefit of fixing the 2-handed weapon bug, which would make 2-hand units much less efficient at combat as they'd take longer to complete their attack animations. They both work fine. They are both wonderful additions. It's a tie, so long as you leave the horrible Alexander expansion for Rome out of the equation.
    Please add to this. I know I've missed so much. Just remember, before you berate the other side's point and call a certain feature of their preferred game crap, Rome II at launch probably did that feature worse

Default Re: Rome vs Medieval 2: A comparison of the best non-Warscape Total War

Quote Originally Posted by slightlyedible View Post
    Mods: Varies, but there are more massive mods out there for Medieval 2, probably ought to the additional features. Both games have some quality mods that enhance the vanilla experience, but there's nothing quite like the Third Age mod for Medieval 2 for Rome.
    I donno, there are some pretty tremendous mods for RTW. And as far as a Lord of the Rings RTW mod have you seen this one yet?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...W%29-%28ALX%29

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

There are more mods for Rome than Med2, and they are of a greater diversity and include more full conversions and more innovation and polish (though these latter two points are somewhat unfair because Rome mdoders did most of the research and have had longer to complete their mods). Where does this myth come from that Med2 outdoes Rome on this? It is simply not the case.

I also like Med2 and Rome - the two best games in the series as far as I'm concerned. I tend to favour Rome for two reasons: it has more clarity/simplicity (I get confused easily! ), and secondly, I very much dislike what Med2 did to the units - their cohesion, their responsiveness, the bad pathing bugs where units would just bunch up at the bottom of ladders or mill around as if they don't quite know where to go.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Heh, I replied to this on reddit

Basically, while I agree that M2 has a lot of mods, RTW has a lot as well. I haven't actually counted them, but if we confine our discussion to *completed* mods, I would guess that the numbers are about equal. M2 seems to enjoy a larger fan-base for mods, probably because it is the more recent of the two games.

I generally also prefer RTW (modded). Also, while vanilla M2 does offer the interesting gunpowder event and other things, there is a loooong wait to get to those points, and I find the AI does a poor job of keeping the game interesting/challenging until then. By the time you get to gunpowder, you're probably guaranteed victory. Thankfully there are mods that offer different starting points for variety.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Rome:Total War is and always will be my favorite TW game. Mostly due to the fact that it did Phalanxs and cavalry far better than Medieval 2 did.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

According to the TWC Wiki, Rome mods are OVER TWICE as numerous as Med2 mods (those are all released mods) and cover a greater range of milieu and more full conversions...I am not familiar enough with all the mods to say how many reasonably polished full conversions there are for Med2 vs Rome though... Med2 was unable to mod buildings until some years into modding (and I think they are now easier to do than Rome ones) so this may have slowed initial development.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Although I don't really see any reason to fight over which is better, given how both don't really have anyone working on big mods for them anymore.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    Although I don't really see any reason to fight over which is better, given how both don't really have anyone working on big mods for them anymore.
    The Medieval II modding community is still very alive.

Also, Fourth Age: Total War just had its big release for RTW....

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    The Medieval II modding community is still very alive.
    Not really, at least compared to what it was 3-4 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Also, Fourth Age: Total War just had its big release for RTW....
    And it is no doubt one of the last releases for RTW. The only two other mods that have anyone actually working on them any more are Roma Surrectum and that other LOTR mod, and I seriously doubt there will be any new mod projects starting up in the future.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Well, almsot all big mods like EB2, IB2, BC, Third Age and Warhammer are still in development or are supported with in on-going submods. Smaller mod-projects certainly have it much harder now, but the big players are still kicking.

And it is no doubt one of the last releases for RTW. The only two other mods that have anyone actually working on them any more are Roma Surrectum and that other LOTR mod, and I seriously doubt there will be any new mod projects starting up in the future.
    You speak with great certainty on this matter

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    You speak with great certainty on this matter
    I wish I was wrong, because if I am right it means one of my favorite game's community is basically dead.

I wouldn't say that. People are still playing M2 and RTW. (Heck, people are still playing Morrowind and MTW, even!) As long as people are playing it, there will be people modding it.

Probably the best (or only) thing you can do to keep a community alive is to stay involved. Play, mod, post, reply, etc. I know I haven't given up on these games, not by a long shot, and I know I'm not alone.

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

rome modding will continue...thats a promise....but we need more active modders....and everyone could learn-do this....so lets get it started...

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Quote Originally Posted by slightlyedible View Post
    These two games are were the Total War franchise has shined the most.
    Personally, I find it amusing and ridiculous that you - out of all things - call upon general AI-performance (campaign or otherwise, makes no difference) and overall battle-experience as to actually support the claim of MTW2 and RTW1 superiority within the TW family (of games). It is old news that neither of these two have ever been any serious contenders for any such stuff (...for other things perhaps, but not that). General superior AI-performance and battles has always been the domain of STW1 and MTW1, it still is (last time I checked). You guys might not like it, but that is the reality here. You basically have too be either ignorant, blind or in complete denial to miss that.

Just saying... (Obviously people can, and will, like RTW1 and MTW2 as much as they want, but that is not really what this thread was about, right?)

- A

I've recently come back to these two games after a few years out and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they have held up, even the unmodded versions. I will say though that Rome is still the better of the two for me, in fact I was a little disappointed with Medieval, it was more like Medieval stand around and don't get excommunicated whilst waiting for a crusade than total war. Which I suppose is rather true of the time frame, excluding civil wars.

At this point, it's really hard for me (and I'm sure many others) to separate the two games from their respective mods. Frankly, I can't remember the last time I played vanilla RTW or M2.

While I originally played far more RTW due to its setting, I think I prefer M2 nowadays due to a few improved mechanics. I really enjoy the battle speed, and feel you can do more with balancing skirmish troops thanks to the way projectiles break up enemy formations even when landing non-lethal blows.

Still, both have a plethora of amazing mods that are still being worked on, and so I load up both quite regularly.

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

I wish I was wrong, because if I am right it means one of my favorite game's community is basically dead.

I'm still modding

Whichever one is better depends on what I've got bored of. I love 'em both to bits!!

I play vanilla Rome and BI, and I've got SS 6.4 on M2. I love it just because I can make the Roman Empire, defend the Eastern Roman Empire, and rebuild the Byzantine Empire.

I couldn't choose between the two, but..

M2 has nicer graphics, and the units are more varied. Squalor is also capped, and squalor was the gamebreaker for me in Rome 1. I ended up mass deporting my own citizens from Carthage into the middle of Africa. In M2 you don't have to do that.

M2 also has a longer time period and has the plague, mongols, timurids, and such.

As for play styles, Rome has you aggressively expanding into other territories, so you have to change your tactics (or just get high leveled units) to deal with the enemy. One minute you're having to learn to flank with an entire line and micromanage them when fighting phalanxes, next you're learning how to stop Egyptian chariots, and then learning how to deal with barbarian charges.

There's a big mashup of everything there.

In M2, the European factions tend to have the same unit types, but with a specialty in one of them.. aside from Scotland, which is pretty crap. So, when fighting in Europe, you're dealing with similar armies. Not a bad thing, but it does get stale. The Crusades, however, have you fighting the Muslim factions with their horse archers, again, blending play styles.

So, gameplay wise, M2 is probably better IMO, but Rome has the same level of excitement. As I said, I love both games and can't choose one over the other.

I'm still not buying Rome II though.

Or M3. Europe will be a DLC. English Knights will be a DLC. The Knight's Templar will be a DLC. The list goes on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast