Thread: Garamantians: How "Black" are they?

Default Garamantians: How "Black" are they?

In the new patch, CA made the Garamantians with regular desert roster plus several additional units (pretty poor, actually), but having Black Characters (statesman, general, king).

So the question: are the Saharan Berbers of 4th Century AD are closer to Ancient Egyptians in genetics? Or to Sub-saharans?. I know African Peoples are more diverse than people outside of Africa, but I'm not well-versed in Human Population Genetics, hence I don't really know the terms and classifications; so if this post are poorly written, please enlighten me.

Default Re: Garamantians: How "Black" are they?

Well, look at the people of Fezzan (which is mostly where the Garamantians are) and Tuaregs today, you'll see they range from lightly tanned to fairly dark. So it is likely Garamantians share some similarities in terms of skin pigmentation, which means a large palette. My main problem with the faction is that all their units are tan (and look roughly like the units of the other Desert kingdom factions, minus Aksum), but then you have the Ethiopian looking characters. They should've put more diversity in both the characters and the units.
    Last edited by zsimmortal; March 03, 2016 at 12:22 PM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

We already had that discussion at Total War forums, but there it got closed by a mod. So here again an overview of all different ethnicities in modern Fazzan, means southwestern Libya (This time in better quality tho):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As you can see its pretty mixed up. This also fits with anthropological investigations on Garamantian bones (Though the amount of bones was quite limited) aswell with reports of Medieval Arab historians, who listed Berbers, Arabs and Sub-Saharans as habitants of the Fezzan.

Now, how about the more cosmopolitan Coastal Northern African Mediterranean area?

How were the demographics, the proportion between the native Mauri, Numidians, Libyans (I suppose those three were mostly dark skinned?), Poeni, and assortments of other peoples that migrated here before Arab Conquest? How were the germanic Vandals situate themselves in here?

I believe, under centuries of Roman rule, they were very much romanized and consider themselves Roman citizen; but still the multitude of Northern African people has to be have their own unique clothing and appearance that signify their own ethnicities, and what were those?
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; March 16, 2016 at 07:11 AM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Now, how about the more cosmopolitan Coastal Northern African Mediterranean area?
    How were the demographics, the proportion between the native Mauri, Numidians, Libyans (I suppose those three were mostly dark skinned?), Poeni, and assortments of other peoples that migrated here before Arab Conquest?

I believe, under centuries of Roman rule, they were very much romanized and consider themselves Roman citizen; but still the multitude of Northern African people has to be have their own unique clothing and appearance that signify their own ethnicities, and what were those?
    At first, here is a map with the most important Berber ethnicities of the Maghreb druing Hellenistic era:

Mediterranaen Berbers were brighter skinned than their Garamantian cousins in the south. Here some depictions of Numidians:

Here a depiction of two Romanized Berbers from Ghirza, northern Libya (Third-Fourth century AD):

Here a painted stele fragment from western Algeria, depicting a Christian Berber family:

How were the germanic Vandals situate themselves in here?
    During the time the Vandals settled there the populace in the area around Carthage was more or less completly Romanized, and since the Vandals were only so few in number they underwent a relatively quick process of Romanization aswell. Only thing they sticked to was Arianism.

Hmm, very peculiar....