Thread: Creating a World - Using Kingdom Campaigns as Mod Base

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Creating a World - Using Kingdom Campaigns as Mod Base

IntroductionEvery now and then a mod comes up that is based on one of the four kingdom campaigns and the installation usually writes into the original directory. This is usually done because
    1. You are not allowed to provide unedited (original) files with a download
    2. The mod's pack files are only read if the mod's directory name doesn't change

Messy to say the least - you will have to make a back up unless you want to re-install the campaign again.

SolutionI am presently busy with a mod based on the americas campaign and dabbled with the unpacker and some added DOS command to create an unpacked copy of the americas campaign in the mods folder.

How it worksThe unpacker first unpacks the campaign into the Medieval II Total War\unpack directory. Then the unpacked content in the unpack\data directory gets moved into the newly created mod directory. A bit of clean up of left overs and then it's nearly ready to be used.
    This set up is Steam compatible.

The CodeTo unpack other campaigns simply substitute the kingdom campaign's name and the destination directory's name. BAT file needs to be placed into the ...\tools\unpacker directory
    Code:
    @echo off
    REM --- Idea by Gigantus
    REM
    REM --- unpacking the packed files of the americas campaign into the Medieval II Total War\unpack directory
    unpacker.exe --source=..\..\mods\americas\packs\*.pack --destination=..\..\unpack --verbosity=1 --base_pack_path=mods/americas/data/
    pause
    REM --- changing the directory from unpacker to Medieval II Total War
    cd ..\..
    REM --- creating the mods\Novus directory
    mkdir mods\Novus
    REM --- moving the unpacked files into the Medieval II Total War\mods\novus directory
    move unpack\mods\americas\data mods\Novus\data
    REM --- copying the base files of the americas campaign into the \mods\novus directory
    xcopy mods\americas\data\*.* mods\Novus\data /s /r /h /y
    REM --- removing the initial Medieval II Total War\unpack directory
    rmdir unpack\mods\americas
    rmdir unpack\mods
    rmdir unpack
    REM --- deleting crash file
    del mods\novus\data\descr_geography_new.db /f /q
    A BAT file with the above code is available with the download, to edit the BAT file simply right click it and choose 'edit'

Finishing offThere are two steps that need to be done to make this set up playable.

BAT\CFG file comboThe most common way to start a mod is via a desktop shortcut and a configuration file. The set provided in the download works only with the mod directory created with the unpacker above. To use it for other mods simply open the CFG file with Notepad and change the directory name to your mod's name.
    Code:
    [features]
    mod = mods/novus
    To create a desktop short cut simply right click the executable.bat file and choose 'send to\desktop'. Feel free to give the short cut a new name and icon.

Block graphic bugThis set up has a peculiarity: it displays colorful blocks instead of the normal graphics. To correct this simply download and apply the fix available here.

Putting it together1. Download the file set and extract it into an empty directory of your choice
    2. Copy the Novus Prep.bat file into the tools\unpacker directory and run\double click it - this will open a DOS command window.
    - enter YYY and press Enter, a list will start scrolling down. Do not interfere with the DOS window at this stage!
    - when the scrolling stops a message will appear (Press any button to continue), simply press Enter once more
    - there will be a short processing period after which the DOS Window will close
    3. Copy the bat and cfg file into the mods\novus folder
    4. Create a desktop short as described above
    5. Apply the Block Graphic Fix mentioned above
    6. Start the mod with the desktop shortcut
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 06, 2016 at 08:30 PM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Creating a World - Using Kingdom Campaigns as Mod Base

This will prove absolutely golden when the time comes for me to release my Americas-based mod. Another rep I owe you Gigantus.

Blog Entries

The mod I am planning will basically be the Prep batch file and then a regular installer with the edited files and the block graphic fix. Sold as a package deal via torrent

Blog Entries

I forgot to arrange for deleting of the descr_geography_new.db file. Updated download.

Hi Gig, I just tried running this and encountered an issue, but a Google search revealed it to be a common problem with a simple fix. The error message was:

"The program can't start because MSVCP71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

If anyone else ever runs into this problem, you can fix it by simply locating that file in the main Medieval II directory, copying it, and pasting it into the Medieval II > tools > unpacker directory.

Without doing this, I was still able to run the batch file and the "processing period" ran, but (before that) the files didn't unpack, which created an incomplete mod folder and the mod loaded with incorrect menus and kicked me back to the menu (KTM) when I tried to run it.

Now, my question: Just to confirm, I'm meant to run the Block Graphic Fix and install it in the main directory, as opposed to any mod folder?

I did the former, and I loaded up the Novus mod and the graphics are all fine, so I assume I did it correctly, but I just wanted to check because that wasn't entirely clear to me.

In any case, I should be finally able to put this into practice now.

Blog Entries

'MSVCP71.dll is missing' is a common unpacker bug which is solved by a copy\paste as you stated and which is stated in the 'trouble shooting' section of my unpacker tut as well:
    Missing DLL file prevents the unpacker from running

• · Copy the missing file from the game’s main directory into the tools\unpacker directory

The 'Block Graphic Fix' is meant to be installed into the main directory - that way all mods that need it are covered. In fact the unpacking mentioned in the tut would do exactly that.

Cheers mate!