Thread: Some Neat Things

Default Some Neat Things

Hey Everyone,
    After beating my first game I started a second mainly to play for fun but I found some really neat things in the process that I didn't know the first time playing. Some of you may already know this stuff but for the ones that don't I hope it helps.

I included links to screenshots to better explain.

-Annoyed by the A.I.'s tactic of constantly attacking you even when you are allied with them? Read below!
    -Want HUGE/unlimited cash without resorting to the lame cheat? Read below!
    -Don't understand the guild system at all? Ok well I still don't understand some of the guilds but I found some neat discoveries included below.
    -A Traitor to your people? Not anymore! -damnit not true

A peaceful neighbor (for Christian Nations)!
    That's right, no more backstabbing A.I. allies attacking you for no reason. Yet again I played Spain and once again was backstabbed by my ally the French. So I did this and now have absolutely no problems with French or anybody's army for that matter marching into Spain. Every once in a great while they'll blockade a port but that's no biggie.

So all you do is invade and take the province they are launching attacks from and then gift or sell them to the Pope. Nobody will dare even enter his lands! This depends on what nation you play so this won't work for everyone but you get the idea.
    http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6...borderskg6.jpg

Want Mega Money?
    Introducing the Alexandria/Cairo cash cow combo! Very simple and will easily make huge amounts of cash and friends in the process.

I noticed in my first game, I couldn't make the people of these cities happy because they are spoiled brats. Constant revolts and uprisings made me angry. So do this instead!

Sack Alexandria which, at first will rake in like 32,000+ gold. Then on the same turn sell it to a Christian Faction for like 1000+ gold for xx turns. Take your army to Cairo, sack and sell to a Christian. Alexandria will have no doubt have revolted returning to a state of rebels. Take your army and sack and sell Alexandria while Cairo revolts. Rinse and Repeat! Hire mercs if your army starts to get chipped away.

Oh and btw, Mongols are the BEST paying clients for lands in Europe!
    http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/7...gprizesbg3.jpg

Guilds, WTF?
    I guess we all figured by now that a city can only have one guild in it right? If not I don't know how the heck you're getting more than one per city BUT..
    Guild invites ,some at least, seem to be based on buildings and city/castle size.

Thieves Guild Invite- Build a brothel (City)
    Swordsmith's Guild Invite- Build a blacksmith (Castle)
    Theologian's Guild Invite- Build a church (City)
    Merchant's Guild Invite- Build a market (City)
    Explorer's Guild Invite- Either a Merchant's Wharf or Docks forgot which (City)
    Bowyer's Guild Invite- Some level of the Marksman Range (Castle)

For the Bowyer's Guild I remember like 3 games ago when I was England I got the invite the turn after building one of the level's of the Marksman Range and it was in Caen (a castle).

Anyway this is why we are all probably getting the Thieves Guild invites first because that has the lowest requirement and if you accept them all, forget about the other guilds so just say NO to the Thieves Guild. If in your current game you did the same mistake I did and accepted all the Thieves' Guild invites don't worry! You can go into your building browser and destroy them. Depending on what buildings you got in said settlement, you'll see, you'll start getting other guilds asking for invites.

HQ's
    Remember only one guild HQ can be present in the entire world. So if you really want that HQ, you better do nothing but build the buildings which you think are required for it. I currently have the Sword Smith's guild HQ (which I got in Toledo Citadel the turn after racing to building the biggest armory the one that costs like 10-15k). I also managed to get the Theologian's Guild HQ a few turns after building the first Huge Cathedral in world and my relations with the Pope was maxed. I found the Theologian's Guild HQ very powerful because my Priests recruited there are coming out as bishops and already have enough points to be elected as a Cardinal if a seat opens up.
    http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2...ionpwndtg6.jpg

A Traitor to your people -Updated
    Oh I almost forgot.. not enough family members with high loyalty? Need to march an army led by a captain to a target but afraid of them becoming a traitor? Do this.. march an agent with the army! I have only tested this by marching Cardinals with the armys but I suspect any agent will do. Haven't had a traitor since
    Update:
    Ok this one isn't true. While I did go over 90 turns (no joke) without a traitor army via marching agents with them, I just had one finally happen and the army had a diplomat and a priest marching with it. I couldn't believe it but I loaded up the previous turn just to make sure I had an agent(s) and sure enough I did. Sorry for the mis-information on this one, I thought for sure I was right on this

Hope this helps some of you guys.
    -September/Khan Industries
    Last edited by KhanIndustries; December 01, 2006 at 08:57 PM.

Default Re: Some Neat Things

welcom kahn,
    good post
    Vlaanderen de leeuw

Yes, some nice tips there!

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

That's hilarious dude. Love the cash-cow combo. I've sacked cities like that only for the money -- but I never felt as ashamed as you should for that deviously methodical exploit.

This is a really good post, deserving of more attention...and rep!

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

moved to battle planning excellent post
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

wubbs77's Avatar Miles

I did the same thing with creating a papal buffer zone, only backwards. lol. I'm playing as england, and gave pamplona and Zaragosa (taken from Portugal and France respectively) to the papacy as a buffer between me and the spanish. (and portugese and french who are all stuck in spain now). So far it's worked great. As long as the pope doesn't flip out and attack me randomly, I shouldn't have to worry about that corner of my empire too much.

The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind.
    -- Livy

Hold 'em by the nose, and kick 'em in the Ass!
    --George Patton

1)
    This is Awesome. I have no choice to bow Before the greater sacker. Now I could field 5 armies, if I need to.

2)
    I am o.k with the buffer zone. I wish Creator of MTW2 created smaller provinces. Using 2 regions as a buffer zone is a lot, considering I have no more than 10 regions as Spain.

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Great post. I especially enjoyed the captions to the pictures. Lmao!
    Under the patronage of vikrant
    Patron of Ramtha, Alletun, finneys13, SirPaladin and GrnEyedDvl