Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fall of Rome

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Fall of Rome

My first encounter with EB also ended with great dispaointment but fir another reason, my old aged computer disliked it for some reason and did not even allow me to install it properly. After geting over the desilusion I downloaded RTR6 (1.9) which I concidered downgrade in comparation to EB and started to like it after a while. Later I switched to FRRE mods and RTR VII which gave me best clasical antiquity gaming experience so far. I never really played RS or RSII every time I downloaded and installed the later I somhow felt it is not for me and unistalled it after while, I can not really say why but I going to give it another chance after the last update with customized settlemetns is going to be released as it was always my dream to have them in RTW alongside with naval battles.

My first experiece with IB mods was similar to EB, I found out about the mod (my first was IBFD 7.03) and was amazed by the features and units, than I have installed it and found out my game CTDs at loading screen everytime I started new campaingn with most of the faction, reinstaling and redowloading did not help and I was suffering with same problem also on the SAI. After that painful experiences I switched to FoR and enjoyed the vanilla nostalgy. Later in 2011/2012 I got a new laptop I have never had anymore problems with any RTW mod except some post battle lack of memory CTDs after several large campaign battles with RSII enviroments.

The problem I had with EB is that the developers and I don't share the same philosophy in what constitutes an enjoyable game challenge. Namely, EB is a very strict game, that expects from the player an almost flawless financial and military administration, in order to be able to deploy only a single full-stack army.For example, despite the fact that I controlled Egypt and the entire Asia (that means pretty much the wealthiest provinces) as Parthia, with relatively well-developed cities and cheap garrisons, I could barely form two full armies for defense and future expansion. Thankfully, the usual culprit is corruption, which is easily moddable. In EB2, as the Seleucids, I noticed that Ariana had exactly zero profits, despite the fact that in M2, army upkeep is not estimated in a city's income panel. Turned out that I was losing all my income (taxes, mining, trade) to... corruption, because the corruption value had been modded from 1.0 to 2.0... So, the player is forced to invent unhistorical strategies to exploit the AI's weaknesses and be dependent on small, semi-complete armies. It's not my cup of tea, that's why I prefer IB, where there are many full-stacks available, but the campaign is still difficult, because the AI factions are also able to deploy an equally large number of armies.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

The creator of Fall of Rome was a friend of mine, and helped a bit with RSII....his name was Florin80. I really am not 'sure' why he left the site, but I kinda think he just felt that his mod was too little too late at a time when people thought that RTW\BI were just going to go belly up and die. Personally, I have Fall of Rome installed...play it of and on, and find it to be a BI version of what Lusted did for RTW with Terrae Expugnandae. It is an enhancement of Vanilla BI that makes it look and feel much nicer and more professional. It was never meant to be brilliant or spectacular.

EB, in my humble opinion, like any other mod, is a great accomplishment that fits into a 'niche' for some, and not for others. I'm the kind of player who likes lots of buildings and units and historical info and stuff to build and do....and gobs of battles and intensity in a game. EB is, therefore, not my cup of tea....because I'd grow old and die before I could recruit an army. I just see no point to having a lot of stuff if you can never afford it or use it.

I am glad to see this mod continue to be developed though. Having finished a complete overhaul of RTW's buildings, and creating scores of unique new cities for RSIII, I have it in mind one day to build Constantinople...or at least a representation thereof. All the while I was working on buildings and cities, I kept thinking: "Oh, there's a building I could use to put together a facsimile of Haglia Sophia..."

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I am glad to see this mod continue to be developed though. Having finished a complete overhaul of RTW's buildings, and creating scores of unique new cities for RSIII, I have it in mind one day to build Constantinople...or at least a representation thereof. All the while I was working on buildings and cities, I kept thinking: "Oh, there's a building I could use to put together a facsimile of Haglia Sophia..."
    That would be very interesting to see indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    " W... What?"
    Well yes. I was asking at the computer games stores if there was anything in way of a good Roman Empire game and they replied with Civilization mods. Then Rome total war appeared on the horizon and I pre-ordered it ( a rarity for me ). I played it for a few months but got bored with it. I think the worst aspect that could have been better was the ridiculous concepts of troop types. I never bothered with BI until it had been out for a year. BI really hooked me hard and had me going for years. It deals with the the great historical mystery, could the Empire have survived?

My first passion in table top war games was Vikings and Anglo-Saxons. Actually I'm more convinced than ever that the Viking wars in English is perhaps amongst histories greatest spectacles of conflict. A deeply complex piece of history that is very little understood. But one other entity began to fascinate me, until then a world unknown to me.....late Romans. As Phil Barker said, the army that Diocletian helped foster was perhaps the Ancient worlds greatest army even though everything else sagged around it.

A special thanks to CA for highlighting a period nobody else bothers with, even if we disagree about aspects of the game. Along comes Attila and now Late Rome is remembered in concrete. Even if everything else about Total War was bad, CA has raised a monument to Late Rome. And is worthy of sainthood for the service.

You see Diocle, that's where we differ. You are a glass half empty and I see a glass half full.

The funny thing is of course, that it is obvious CA was working on a Medieval game which they hastily transformed into a late Roman game.

The greatest disappointment is unlike the divine Phil Barker, CA clad there Roman legions in Maile. Where as the divine Phil Barker has stuck to his guns to the bitter end, the later Legions were clad in leather......and the better for it. For every way the Late Army makes the early Army look clumsy!!!!

To be honest, I don't think any of the modders matched CA's vanilla BI.

Certainly though, in a many respects. Shogun 2 was CA's finest effort.

Long live leather Armour!........death to the heretics!

To honest though, Med 2's strat map was the most boring ever conceived!
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    To honest though, Med 2's strat map was the most boring ever conceived!
    Well, the most boring map ever conceived is a controversial issue, but the winner for the most boringly conceived map is undeniable:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That map was hilariously awful, I still haven't understood why CA didn't dedicate more than 5 minutes to it. And the west part depicted in the screenshot was probably the most carefully designed one. India, which was for some reason controlled by the Persians and not the Indians (although there was an Indian faction in custom and historic battles), could never be conquered. There was simply no way for the Macedonian armies to cross the borders, so it was highly probable that the player could never be able to defeat the Persians.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Agreed.

Nevertheless it might be a good basic map for something I have in my modding mind. After a massive modifying.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Agreed.

Nevertheless it might be a good basic map for something I have in my modding mind. After a massive modifying.
    Gaiten your mind is always at work, and this is great and good and beautiful for us all!

But, but, but .. as one of your fans, and as friendly as I can, may I humbly remind you, that an year has 365 days, a month has 31 days, a day has 24 hours and a hour has 60 minutes and a minute is composed by 60 seconds? .. and maybe even that the living expectancy of an average human being is today "just" 72 years?

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well then given my age much to do till then

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Well then given my age much to do till then
    Yes, but .. don't forget your fan base, please!

Found 'The Fall of Rome 1.5' and have really enjoyed it. For anyone interested: http://www.internetwars.ru/Rome/Fall...Fall_Rome.html

unfortunately it is not moldfoldered. Is it possible to instal twice the game in order to keep a version with the other mods ?

Actually you don't have to install rtw again. Simply make a new folder, copy all files of rtw and rtw-bi into that folder and install Fall of Rome there.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Yes it is. Just copy the RTW folder for a new location, rename it (FoR for example) and install the mod on the RTW copy. I for example have the unmoded original on the Creative Assembly folder in Programs, a copy for mods on a Games folder, a FoR copy, and RSII copy... as many as you like as long you have a big hardrive
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12