Yes and I can also make William not use the club on the campaign map

Default Re: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Yes and I can also make William not use the club on the campaign map

Clubs for show

Axes for a pro.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

So the map won't look so boring, or rather exactly the same from spain to denmark, it's a little more sprawling and alive now with those fields.

in more detail

Also I've been reskinning most generals so maybe some pics of that soon

awesome idea for a mod man, great stuff! could I be cheeky enough to ask how far along you think this is?

Quote Originally Posted by barry12 View Post
    awesome idea for a mod man, great stuff! could I be cheeky enough to ask how far along you think this is?
    50%ish, I posted a detailed list of all things left a few posts ago

The fields of southern England, 1066 ad, 14 days after the repulsion of the Norse from this very realm

A host of all England gathers under King Harold, even after vanquishing his foe Harald Hardrada just weeks earlier, his hold on the throne is more tenuous than ever. On this field will the fate of England be decided in a few hours.

The men are ordered out of their tents and into ranks. The first lines are manned by the ceorls, the people of the land, freemen fighting not just for king and country but for their very survival. As the men pray, cry, sing, drink, all to prepare themselves for whats about to come, the Fyrd arrives.

These are Englands greatest hope at this most desperate hour, thousands of trained fighting men, having prepared the whole summer for this very moment. Fully gathered, their shield wall can hold its own against any army in western Europe, and prevail.

Finaly at the heart of the mighty host, donning body covering mail, are the Kingly and early retinues,
    and amidst these Huscarls, the kingly three thousand Thingalidth, Harold own standing army, utterly loyal, utterly fierce.

The mighty horns of the rider tear through the eyes of the men, the great steeds, each one worth more than all of most mens possesions, start galloping. A wall of Iron approaches, the charging host screams, and a hail of spears shower the shieldwall as the men press tighter and tighter together.
    Now the battle has began

Whoever, by the grace of god, victors, will become one of the mightiest men in the history of this Island, the loser, dies.
    Last edited by Linke; June 26, 2016 at 07:44 PM.

The king of England, whomever may victor, will however face many more threats. From the proud warriors of the wast welsh marches...

To the bleak and harsh north, and it's fierce alban inhabitants

Even across the sea, trouble beacons. Wichever side loses will likely seek help from warrior of the fabled Island to the west of Britain

And on the shores of the mighty Jylland peninsula..

Swein III, king of the mighty Danish realm, gathers his leidungr to sail westwards, intending to wreak havock in war-tormented England, no matter who rules

Whoever wins this "Game of thrones", and dominates Britain, will be faced eventually with the southern realm of the king of France; as gods chosen today will surely dominate the french duchy of Normandy, conflict is inevitable.. The king may thus need strong allies, as strong as the German emperor and his well trained Ministerial knights.
    Last edited by Linke; June 26, 2016 at 07:43 PM.

Awesome! I'll send you more appropriate time period helmets and equipment your way sometime!

These units look spectacular! I'm particularly liking variety between the English, Welsh, Irish, Scots and Danish.

The only thing I would point out is the mail leggings on the English. The Tapestry has them with regular pants:
    The English (including an archer!) Infantry:
    https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys...pestry-009.jpg

Not even Harold has the mail leggings ("Harold Rex Interfectus Est")
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rold_death.jpg

The only units in the game to have mail leggings are the really elite units like italian Familia bodyguards (that is not reaular milites), and generals themselves. I can't leave the king unprotected but his huscarls i can, unless there didn't even exist mail leggings in England.

There are almost no artistic depictions of men fighting on foot using mail leggings from this period in Western Europe. They're worn by (still few, but at least some) cavalry because their legs are exposed and easier to strike at by men on foot, but for someone fighting on foot the mail leg armor is virtually superfluous (especially with kite shields since they protect almost down to the feet). It adds some protection, but also a lot of weight and I'm sure it inhibits movement to a degree.

Laetus

Hey Linke just wanted to give ya a thumbs up! I've been keeping an eye on this for awhile now and will basically be the only reason why I will be playing Attila again. Looking forward to diving in. Keep up the good work

I was starting to put together a mod on this very subject and saw your work. Very excited. After reading through your comment thread I've put some responses together. It's all pretty much useless as far as game design is concerned, but they're interesting historical notes.

Odo's "Club": The word used in the Bayeux Tapestry is baculum when it appears with Odo. Which might be better translated as "stick" or "staff." Previously historical use was in context with Roman legionaries as a kind of swagger stick. But beware looking up baculum - as it also refers to a whale's penile bone." But still not really a weapon is the point.

Odo's Awesomely Colorful Gambeson as rendered by an artist, because fashion be damned:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...27de0e1778.jpg

The Norman chainmail chest squares: I've long deferred to Steven Lowe on the infamous Norman "chainmail bib" http://www.warfare.altervista.org/6C-11C/Bib.htm. The foreword to the giant Bayeux Tapestry editions also expresses similar beliefs. Mainly that the chest square only appear before battles, never actually in; implying it as a kind of flap that pulled up and protected the neck. And that our modern artistic interpretation of chest reinforcement is a Victorian holdover.

Chainmail Leggings: Called chausses do appear in Scene 49 of the Bayeux Tapestry.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tryScene49.jpg
    But I agree with Gator that they would probably only have been seen on horseback during this period. Also notice those baculum show up again. They only ever appear in this very traffic management style capacity, sort of like a bobby's baton. But I'm sure they could crack a head if need be.

The Thingmen( Žingališ ) of 3000 housecarls was disbanded in 1051 as part of Edward the Confessor's cost cutting and restructuring. Like the chest bib, it persists through old scholarship as the core of Harold's forces in 1066. As opposed to a standing royal army, the later housecarls of this period were more likely a personal bodyguard force or a sort of private police force attached to individuals of power. Very Blackwater-esque in their function. The wikipedia on housecarls covers the current argument going both ways.
    References for the disbanding of the Thingmen: http://enc.tfode.com/Thingalid#cite_ref-Pritsak410_1-0 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thingmen.

Fun Note. Housecarls used their Dane axes left handed, to easier attack an opponents unshielded side. Several sites reference this. But the most fun is to just look at the Bayeux Tapestry again - every time one appears holding it with two hands its always left hand over right. I wouldn't bother adding that unless someone just knows how to mirror the 2H animation though.

Like I said, pedantic historical footnotes. I look forward to seeing your finished product. I can't offer much in the way of modding skills to help. But I do instruct in video editing and would be happy to put together an intro video.

First of I'd like to say I have for sure found a way to have more than 12 factions playable, sp forget about all those old lists, though I'm limiting myself to 15-20, with those 12 previous included.

very nice archangel
    I have a mace model I gave to william and I'll give to Odo wich looks very much like that, and I'll find someone to retexture Odos Gambeson like that, already got me a good model.

I saw that bib reconstruction, but, me and other retexturer couldn't really find a way to make it visible if not on the traditional chest spot, so I put it there, though mixed in are a few models of the real one but without tye texture of "the bib".
    Those chainmail legs I long ago excluded from all units except bodyguards where there are some and generals and officers, the only infantry that had them were those huscarls. In fact I have a sword and axe huscarls, the axe serving as the thingalid, wich now seems redundant. But what I'll do is rename them Cynges Huscarles or something similar. And the normal Huscarles unit stays sword, or maybe spear, with shield wall. I think it's an artistic thing to show every Huscarl with a big axe, when they used other tactics, that is shieldwalls. So generals unit and a few start units are Cynges Huscarls whilst the other Huscarls are the recruitable elsewhere (pricely and limitedly) and function as bodyguards in the earldom factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    First of I'd like to say I have for sure found a way to have more than 12 factions playable, sp forget about all those old lists, though I'm limiting myself to 15-20, with those 12 previous included.

very nice archangel
    I have a mace model I gave to william and I'll give to Odo wich looks very much like that, and I'll find someone to retexture Odos Gambeson like that, already got me a good model.

I saw that bib reconstruction, but, me and other retexturer couldn't really find a way to make it visible if not on the traditional chest spot, so I put it there, though mixed in are a few models of the real one but without tye texture of "the bib".
    Those chainmail legs I long ago excluded from all units except bodyguards where there are some and generals and officers, the only infantry that had them were those huscarls. In fact I have a sword and axe huscarls, the axe serving as the thingalid, wich now seems redundant. But what I'll do is rename them Cynges Huscarles or something similar. And the normal Huscarles unit stays sword, or maybe spear, with shield wall. I think it's an artistic thing to show every Huscarl with a big axe, when they used other tactics, that is shieldwalls. So generals unit and a few start units are Cynges Huscarls whilst the other Huscarls are the recruitable elsewhere (pricely and limitedly) and function as bodyguards in the earldom factions.
    This is good news! Where are you thinking of adding factions?

It might be wise to consider the ones most able to affect game balance and also late game fun factor. Emergent Kingdoms, Empires etc.

*waits for the storm of ADD THIS FACTION posts*

Linke i have a suggestion if you dont mind. after playing Age of Charlemagne i am always disappointed of how fast the danes gets steamrolled by the mighty franks to the south. Recently played the mod "age of vikings" and the same thing. Seem like the ai doesnt know how to defend this area. I hope you would consider giving a bigger garrison to Hedeby maybe. If you make a new building for it you could call it "Dannevirke" that wouldnt be too far streched historically. Dannevirke was defences made to fend off potential invasions from the south. keep up the good. i really loved those screenshots!

Denmark wont have to face a powerful Frankish empire, anyways their southern defenced were week in 1066 wich is why Hedeby was sacked so easily by the Wend confederation.

So I have made a list of some 16 playable faction, wich is about the limit I intend. A lot of consideration has gone into the selection, the following factors being prominent.

1: Position, does the faction have a unique and fun starting position with many cultures as enemies or close to others?
    2: Units, does the faction have a unique and interesting roster to some degree?
    3: History/Politics, was the faction and/or it's leader important, or a middle power so to say?
    4: Interest/popular appeal, is there something extra popular with this character/faction to attract players?
    There's a bias the factions on the British Isles as the struggle for England and aftermath is the mod's main conflict.

(brief point on vassals)
    - points are given for being a vassal of another faction wich is why no German duchies feature inspite of their power.
    Even so the vassal system more accurately represents the middle ages, so even though it looks like the HRE controls half the map, in reality, it holds little sway over the vassals. Essentialy it can levy troops if passing through and the pact serves as a diplomatic agreement. But Vassals may and will war between themselves and with the king.

The thing with vassals is that conquering territory is costly and hard, as you need to get control by building costly castles and supress countless revolts (see conquest of England). That's why a vassal may be safer, easier and cheaper.

(Military) cultures
    So there are 10 main rosters, each with a main accompanying faction
    1 French - France
    2 German - hre
    3 Iberian christian - Leon
    4 Norse - Denmark
    5 English - England
    6 Gaelo-Briton - Scotland
    7 Wendish - Wends
    8 Magyar(-Croatian) - Hungary
    9 Italian(-urban) - Pisa
    10 Muslim - Seville

then there are some notable subregions/subrosters or divided rosters, with most or many unique/different units:
    1 Gaelo-Norse - Kingdom of the isles, Norway (Irish and Norse units)
    2 Catalan - Barcelona (Iberian, Catalan and French units)
    3 Norman - Hautevilles (Italian non militia, sicilian, and french-norman units)
    4 Croatian - Croatia (some Shared slavic levies with Hungary, Croatian units)
    5 "North French" - Normandy (3-4 French-Norman-Bretagne-Frisian units, and later English fyrd*

There are a few other regions/factions with some unique units but not as many, I excluded these
    welsh (completely own roster), should wales be included or is that britain overkill?
    Bohemian, german and slavic
    Lorraine-Tuscany duchy, German, Frisian, Italian
    Portugal, 2 portuguese-galician units
    Alpine, 2 alpine levies
    Saxon, 2 Saxon (German) units, recruitable by hre

(* all levies and militia are recruitable by any faction only in their region (a couple of exceptions), but Normandy can recruit even more English units than that, otherwise to recruit knight/Feudal units build expensive castles/knight fiefs anywhere, +1 knight unit for each castle level starting with 3 and militia units build-Upgrade towns. Levies require no buildings)

Looks cool, I like it!

Looks great!

A couple of suggestions if I may?

Brittain:
    Given the amount of factions already in England it might be best to leave Wales as unplayable? But make them a powerful NP force/emergent rebels in Cornwall as well as Powys etc

France:
    From what I can see you've made Maine a vassal to Normandy which is time period accurate, so perhaps trim the Duchy of Aquitains northern portion and give it to the counts of Anjou instead? (if possible) Anjevin/Norman relations were never great-hence the later marriage of Matilda to Geoffrey Plantagenet-and if this non player faction tries to recover Maine it could be a fun way to stop an Norman/English steam roll south.

italy:
    Perhaps give the principality of Beneveto(or at least the 2/3 of its towns?)to the Lombards or as a vassal of the HRE giving southern Normans more to do given north or south west are their only routes for expansion? Norman's weren't appointed the feif until 1079.

HRE:
    looks good! vassal system is perfect for them.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Translating all those tiny factions into Latin took a while, but I really like the result!