Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Default Re: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Indeed: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/sear...n=&manuscript=
    Those are over 200 manuscripts from all over Central Europe, including Germany, France, England and Italy. As one can see, mouth-covering coifs appeared first in ca. 1100 on a French manuscript, but became more popular only from 1150 onward. Nose / face-covering coifs appear first in the last decades of the 12th century, as to be seen on these German manuscripts: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4821/10242/
    http://manuscriptminiatures.com/3916/21737/

Now its your turn to show me 11th century sources proving German or even Central European soldiers in general wearing face-covering coifs.

I am not a teammember, so this is entirely about the historicity of your units.

Edit: Since you quit the discussion without beeing able to provide any source I have to assume that I was right the whole time.

ANYWAY
    TWW is fun but this is the game I want, hope it's still alive!

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Well all units are done (except stats, cards and stuff like that).
    Now the only big remaining thing is a campaign wich will be hard for me, if there is a real good startpos modder out there he should do it and save much time. Now I'm not hurrying to get it released as that has the opposite effect on me.

Well all units are done (except stats, cards and stuff like that).
    Now the only big remaining thing is a campaign wich will be hard for me, if there is a real good startpos modder out there he should do it and save much time. Now I'm not hurrying to get it released as that has the opposite effect on me.

Hey Linke, I've been working on my own mod that updates the GC to the early middle ages. I've learned a lot about modding the startpos and already have the campaign map done for it (Just re skinning every single unit at the moment). If your really desperate for some help with the startpos I would gladly help you

It's kind of complicated the way I'd like the startpos, but if you could'd help that would be great.
    Thing is vanilla aoc neither has enough factions to be converted, nor enough playable faction slots for my taste.
    So my idea is to use the gc and reskin it's factions, or add entirely new faction entries if you know how, but use the charlemagne map. Otherwise it would still work with the charlemagne campaign as long as you can import more factions (my game crashes when I try to import factions from other campaigns there, though it works the other way around).

Then theres countless family trees and names and character models and stuff like that to be edited

Hmm interesting ... I could easily add new factions to the existing AOC campaign but I've never even heard of anyone trying to do a grand campaign on the AOC map. I feel like I've seen people adding more playable factions but I can't seem to find it on steam atm. Something that can be looked into though. After that everything else is pretty easy.

My goal is to finish my own mod by the end of this month but I can start looking into this stuff a little deeper and maybe come up with a rudimentary startpos for you. Since I'm already in the 1066 steam group maybe you can start a thread with all the stuff you want done and I can work off that.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Sorry for my long absence, I was busy with a lot of school work. Now I will be able to dedicate more time on this.

I'll write a list of what remains here in case anyone can or knows anyone who can help, now this isn't accute, it's not a desperate attempt to save the mod from dying, I could do all this my self, but I want to spend a heallthy 1h- every day on this and so it would take quite long to learn and do it all alone.

Startpos (here is if you use the charlemagne base campaign with 12 playable factions)
    - Create all factions with correct name groups and subcultures (I'll post them)
    - Give factions regions, families, armies, characters with right names (can be done afterwards by me), diplomacy, buildings (vanilla + castles), past events, region religions, all the standard stuff that takes a few days
    - Make 12 factions playable (Croatia, Hungary, Italy, France, Hre, Normandy, Castile, England, Scotland, Norway, Wends, Andalusia)

the other aproach includes all that but also a complicated move of bulding systems and map to the gc to enable more playable factions

Units (I'll handle this)
    - Generals and leaders
    - Rest of units in game
    - Unit stats based/copied from aoc with better cavalry
    - Add units to recruitment (see castles) aor, mercenaries and garrison

Ui (least important)
    - Main ui (did a possible main screen her)
    - Unit cards (sebidee?)
    - Castle building icons replacing baracks (mk?)

Buildings (i'll do this)
    - Replace baracks with castles for especially knight units

Other things (that i'll manage)
    - Some small campaign variables
    - Population system imported from wherever
    - Other good ideas imported from other mods
    - Knight-castle population system, basicly knights start with a cap of 0 units, build a castles and that increases to maybe 2, + 1 for each level. But if you give all your land (building slots) to your knights you can't reap any money from it, simple feudal system.

Then we have a fairly stable beta to be released, all these are quite small things done over a few days at most for each, what I'd like most is a good startpos editor followed by graphic/ui people. Meanwhile i'll finish the rest in the summer

Possibly future stuff:
    Full feudal building system (see steam group)
    More factions/gc with charlemagne map (in case we do the other simpler approach here)
    New technology, traits

At my current rate I should be done with my mod in the next week or two, if you haven't found someone to help with this by then, I'll gladly do it. I just think it wiser to focus on one project at a time

I always liked this pic, thought id share it, just for the epicness

The Battle of Hastings by artist Tom Lovell

Last edited by Lord Oakenthrone; June 15, 2016 at 08:25 PM.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Ah yes, beautiful picture. Is that horseman holding a club?

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    Ah yes, beautiful picture. Is that horseman holding a club?
    As seen on the bayeux

It was Bishop Odo judging by the Bayeux description.

it wasn't unusual for medieval clerics to use blunt weapons as to 'not shed any blood' whilst doing the Lord's work...it didnt however stop them crushing a mans head like a soggy pudding with a whole manner of assorted blunt objects however!

he was probably the only one in the whole battle who used blunt (on the Norman side)

in this mod how would you have this character if at all? just as a general leading a bodyguard unit of Norman Knights/milites or something?
    Last edited by Lord Oakenthrone; June 14, 2016 at 01:02 AM.

deleted double post
    Last edited by Lord Oakenthrone; June 14, 2016 at 01:03 AM.

Odo will be a general and family member

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oakenthrone View Post
    It was Bishop Odo judging by the Bayeux description.

it wasn't unusual for medieval clerics to use blunt weapons as to 'not shed any blood' whilst doing the Lord's work...it didnt however stop them crushing a mans head like a soggy pudding with a whole manner of assorted blunt objects however!

he was probably the only one in the whole battle who used blunt (on the Norman side)

in this mod how would you have this character if at all? just as a general leading a bodyguard unit of Norman Knights/milites or something?
    IIRC, Duke Guillaume is also portraited with similar club on the tapestry (but not using it in actuall battle) which implies thatit was used rather as some kind of insign of the leaders than actuall weapon. It may have developed from the sticks worn by roman centurions. I have read somwhere an opinion that whole theory of clerics not be able to use sharp weapons in battle is based solely on this particular picture from the Bayeux tapestry. If that it is true it makes rather weak grounds for the whole claim.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    IIRC, Duke Guillaume is also portraited with similar club on the tapestry (but not using it in actuall battle) which implies thatit was used rather as some kind of insign of the leaders than actuall weapon. It may have developed from the sticks worn by roman centurions. I have read somwhere an opinion that whole theory of clerics not be able to use sharp weapons in battle is based solely on this particular picture from the Bayeux tapestry. If that it is true it makes rather weak grounds for the whole claim.
    Most scenes of William outside of the battle have him holding a sword, but the scenes in battle show him carrying a club. The theory is that because this was an invasion with the backing of the Pope, William was carrying a club for the same reason that clerics carried clubs. It was an act (or show) of piety and it was tied to this particular battle. By contrast, in the scenes depicting Harold and William's attack on the Duke of Brittany, Odo is the only one carrying a club in that battle.

So Odo would carry a club because he was a bishop, while William carried club at Hastings, but only at Hastings and as a sign of his own personal piety and the support of the Church.

It's probably worth remembering that the tapestry is also a piece of propaganda, and the whole club issue may just be symbolic of those character's piety/justice.
    Last edited by GatorMarine1833; June 15, 2016 at 10:57 AM.

link not working
    Last edited by Lord Oakenthrone; June 15, 2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: link not working

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Odo will be a general and family member

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    Most scenes of William outside of the battle have him holding a sword, but the scenes in battle show him carrying a club. The theory is that because this was an invasion with the backing of the Pope, William was carrying a club for the same reason that clerics carried clubs. It was an act (or show) of piety and it was tied to this particular battle. By contrast, in the scenes depicting Harold and William's attack on the Duke of Brittany, Odo is the only one carrying a club in that battle.

So Odo would carry a club because he was a bishop, while William carried club at Hastings, but only at Hastings and as a sign of his own personal piety and the support of the Church.

It's probably worth remembering that the tapestry is also a piece of propaganda, and the whole club issue may just be symbolic of those character's piety/justice.

I guess for easiness of modding sake, we should forgo such small details? or ?...is it possible to have one general in a unit, wielding a different weapon type to the rest of that unit? dont think Ive ever seen that before.