Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Yeah, it's a pretty tough pick. Really depends on which "theater" you want to place more focus on: the Mediterranean or the North Sea. You're right that Croatia was at its peak during the era, but they were still a small kingdom and without the neighbouring Byzantine territories on the map, I think the Adriatic theater will be destined to be a bit of a sideshow. That's just my take on it, ofc.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

To mix it up a bit, it would be a good idea to pick a relevant nation with another culture than the ones currently playable. I'm thinking either Britanny, Scotland or Obodrites.

Moon_Man's Avatar Libertus

Now that I think about it. Is the Kingdom of the Isles really necessary? If we remove that as a playble faction we can have the invading Norsemen as well as the Oberites as playable factions.

Looks very good, is it difficult to make the units?

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Man View Post
    Now that I think about it. Is the Kingdom of the Isles really necessary? If we remove that as a playble faction we can have the invading Norsemen as well as the Oberites as playable factions.
    They are one lf the most neccesary factions for the 1066 conflict, as they are the only way to get Norway on the map. You start as the king of the isles (+King of Dublin, Leinster, and high king of Ireland I think), a mostly Gaelic faction with some Norse units. Then at the begining of summer or so of 1066 you get a message that your Liege Haraldr Hardrada is calling you to arms, some turns later he spawns of the Northumbrian coast with a large Norse army, and war is declared with England. Thr faction transforms from an irish one into a more Norwegian one

Quote Originally Posted by Majorian View Post
    Looks very good, is it difficult to make the units?
    no but it will take some time I can imagine, a bit shorter since I can borrow a bunch from tw Karling (where I also made the units) and hopefully medieval kingdoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    They are one lf the most neccesary factions for the 1066 conflict, as they are the only way to get Norway on the map. You start as the king of the isles (+King of Dublin, Leinster, and high king of Ireland I think), a mostly Gaelic faction with some Norse units. Then at the begining of summer or so of 1066 you get a message that your Liege Haraldr Hardrada is calling you to arms, some turns later he spawns of the Northumbrian coast with a large Norse army, and war is declared with England. Thr faction transforms from an irish one into a more Norwegian one

no but it will take some time I can imagine, a bit shorter since I can borrow a bunch from tw Karling (where I also made the units) and hopefully medieval kingdoms.
    Yeah it's a bummer there's no Norway, but the solution you put forward seems like a good fix.

Current available factions are everything I could have wanted, so I would cast my vote for Scotland or perhaps even Wales.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Otherwise dropping an italian faction is a possibility, for them I did two to illustrate the big difference between northern communes and souther norman feudalism
    Question: Wouldnt it be more logical to completly integrate Lombardy into the HRE?

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Question: Wouldnt it be more logical to completly integrate Lombardy into the HRE?
    No I don't see why, it wasn't held by anyone of the royal dynasty, nor a part of Franconia, wich were their original lands.
    In case you didn't notice the hre is also split up into Duchies (Bohemia, Saxony, Swabia, Bawaria, Upper and lower Lorraine) and also burgundy representung the burgundian petty counties. In the real (not beta) version I want to represent every march, county, free city, duchy and prince-bishopric in the hre.

Regarding the factions: Scotland and Obodrites have both been named the most, with Scotland in the lead I think. So they should be in, the question of Croatia vs Obodrites though is undecided, but I lean towards the Obodrites after reading more about them, in fact they could be called "Wendland" as they are a pan-Wendish confederation of Obodrites and Lutizi

Campidoctor
    Civitate

No I don't see why, it wasn't held by anyone of the royal dynasty, nor a part of Franconia, wich were their original lands.
    In case you didn't notice the hre is also split up into Duchies (Bohemia, Saxony, Swabia, Bawaria, Upper and lower Lorraine) and also burgundy representung the burgundian petty counties. In the real (not beta) version I want to represent every march, county, free city, duchy and prince-bishopric in the hre.
    Yeah i realized it, i was just too tired to mention that aswell. But anyway, doesn't this fragmentation cripple the flow of the HRE campaign, since you are basicaly surrounded by vasalls?

the question of Croatia vs Obodrites though is undecided, but I lean towards the Obodrites after reading more about them, in fact they could be called "Wendland" as they are a pan-Wendish confederation of Obodrites and Lutizi
    I would make the choice pretty much depend on the state of sources from Croatia. If Croatia offers a good amount of unique sources like nice armours, helmets and heraldry enough to make them even more unique than the Obodrites i would vote for Croatia. If not, i would vote for the Obodrites, just because they would fill out the empty northeastern part of the map plus because of their very tough starting position.

PS: Here is the sources-thread for the Obodrites (Still WIP): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2th-century%29
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; April 01, 2016 at 12:29 PM.

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

I reckon Scotland is the best choice but this does leave us with three brittanic factions. I understand Kingdom of the Isles is the only way to get Norway in on a permanent basis which undermines in my eyes the need for Denmark. Vikings feel very overused the past few years.

My personal preference would be Duchy of Toulouse/Acquitaine however. I don't think Brittany is too relevant when we already have Normandy, that would leave too many playables in too small a space.

Moon_Man's Avatar Libertus

Given a choice of Croatia or Oberites I would say Oberites
    Last edited by Moon_Man; April 01, 2016 at 08:21 PM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Ok, appareantly Croatia is relatively rich in archaeological sources, but it lacks illustrated manuscriptions, which would have been essential for unique textures. This is why my vote goes now to the Obodrites.

Showing some of the progress, a few hastily taken pictures of some family trees. Note that the generals models are being changed

I could show the map but we haven't got all the icons ready, and I clumpsily deleted all the colour changes, so that the map is coloured reasonably historicaly. It is up and working for all purposes, only thing left is making Italians, France, and Croatia, probably a matter of 2 hours.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Civis

great job!

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Great website with a big amount of miniatures: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/sear...s=&manuscript=
    When 1066 has its own forum i would extract the miniatures into research threads.

Edit: Some more stuff can be found on Mr. Druzhinas website:
    http://warfare.uphero.com/11C.htm

My favourite armour:

So archaic.

Last edited by LinusLinothorax; April 06, 2016 at 11:02 AM.

KEA's Avatar Senator

the core lands of the Salians were along the Middle Rhine, not as far east as Franconia. The capital of the HRE was Aachen which needs to be held by the imperial faction too. In 1066 Heinrich had married Bertha of Turin, so this faction needs to hold lands in Northern Italy as well. Lombardy shouldn't be a faction of its own. At this point it was part of the Kingdom of Italy, a sub-division of the HRE. The situation would be best displayed by making each city in northern Italy a single client faction of the HRE.

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    the core lands of the Salians were along the Middle Rhine, not as far east as Franconia. The capital of the HRE was Aachen which needs to be held by the imperial faction too. In 1066 Heinrich had married Bertha of Turin, so this faction needs to hold lands in Northern Italy as well. Lombardy shouldn't be a faction of its own. At this point it was part of the Kingdom of Italy, a sub-division of the HRE. The situation would be best displayed by making each city in northern Italy a single client faction of the HRE.
    A valid point. Especially if you can get these cities to try to become their own kingdom somehow? emergent factions etc?

Something I also thought might be good to look at balance wise is to give Norman Apulia less starting cities...
    It's frustrating that the province of Apulia itself is not really represented (not your fault!) nor any other eastern Adriatic port cities excluding Bari(which is de jure Apulian), but I find the more I have to do, the more I'll want to keep playing.
    I'd rather work to hold possessions than be given them at game start basically.
    For example on the Italian mainland Salerno was semi Autonomous although in reality a vassal of the HRE, leaving the cities of Beneveto, Taranto and Catania/Kroton with the Apulians, while Reggio and Bari(which you have done already) were both Byzantine.
    This makes their starting position more difficult with a necessity to capture Bari or Salerno to move troops effectively North or south into Sicily.

A little preview, just some simple retexturing I did today

Love the helmet, cant wait to see a full preview of all the factions

Looks good man!

This is the standard confrere knight yeah? Axes or swords?

Party.