Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Great to see a mod being developed based on this timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    The French fleur-de-lis wasn't used until the 12th or 13th century. The symbol of France should be the oriflamme, which dates back to Charlemagne, and was used in the early 12th century, perhaps even 11th.
    I think that the top part of the oriflamme would be a good icon. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...flamme.svg.png

That oriflamme is specifically the one used during late gothic era(1460 and soon)..., its the Sole Raggiante, the Razza Viscontea(look on google), its was adopted lately by western Europa. Its have nothing to do with early oriflamme which could have been plain red.

By the way I remember same english from Rose war used this symbol. Nothing specifically french in it.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Yeah, I've thought about it, and I can't really make up my mind about what symbol to use for France. Any suggestions?

The lilies were used from Dagobert times, you can go with this, en- semis like I've written earlier. If its mentionned that lilies were only adopted in 12 th century, its mostly because formalization of heraldry started at this period. In other terms from the reign of Louis VII(1137-1180).

like that:

https://fr.fotolia.com/id/49765433
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; March 12, 2016 at 03:21 AM.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Alright, we'll use that.

Still very excite.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Ok we will have the factions (hautevilles and probably León because Castille has only minor towns) you chose, I need to make them playable and also do the family trees of the playable factions. Then it's onto units where Snipetale has already been texturing kite shields for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Ok we will have the factions (hautevilles and probably León because Castille has only minor towns) you chose, I need to make them playable and also do the family trees of the playable factions. Then it's onto units where Snipetale has already been texturing kite shields for a while.
    If it will save you time I'm happy to research family trees etc. What are the final playable factions?

As a side note is it possible to mess with family and the available generals and governors stats and traits for game start?
    Loyalty stat is what I'm driving at here, which I think for playable factions should be lower for some and higher for others based on the history of said person to add some depth?

There's also a cool mod on Steam Workshop at the moment called Age of Italia. Lots of units you might find useful for non playable factions south of the alps and on the Italian peninsula. By the same guys is also Age of Vikings, if you want some nordic inspiration. Lastly given Byzantium are unplayable might be cool to give them some Varangians and or some former Varangians for Harold Hardrada given he served there before he took the crown of Norway.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

This is probably my most anticipated Attila mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Eyed Crow View Post
    If it will save you time I'm happy to research family trees etc. What are the final playable factions?

As a side note is it possible to mess with family and the available generals and governors stats and traits for game start?
    Loyalty stat is what I'm driving at here, which I think for playable factions should be lower for some and higher for others based on the history of said person to add some depth?

There's also a cool mod on Steam Workshop at the moment called Age of Italia. Lots of units you might find useful for non playable factions south of the alps and on the Italian peninsula. By the same guys is also Age of Vikings, if you want some nordic inspiration. Lastly given Byzantium are unplayable might be cool to give them some Varangians and or some former Varangians for Harold Hardrada given he served there before he took the crown of Norway.
    I already have them researched and made about half in the last couple of days. After them it's fixing an issue with names and also make a couple of factions playable before moving on to units (for my part). We are making them ourselfs using assets from others if we can but not entire units, also those "age of" mods don't add units right?
    For playable factions I posted them earlier (though I still feel like a italian city state would be more unique than Italian normans)

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    I already have them researched and made about half in the last couple of days. After them it's fixing an issue with names and also make a couple of factions playable before moving on to units (for my part). We are making them ourselfs using assets from others if we can but not entire units, also those "age of" mods don't add units right?
    For playable factions I posted them earlier (though I still feel like a italian city state would be more unique than Italian normans)
    Ok rad.

Re Age of mods, I don't believe so? but there's enough variation to make it entertaining. Re itialan Normans i suppose it depends on your point of view. I was hoping city States(eg Salerno, Naples and Byzantine Bari) would be non playable but very powerful AI factions to check your playable Normans. If you wanted to get adventurous maybe these city states have Lombard units that could be added to your roster once conquered(I don't know if this is feasible).
    Italo Normans also used Saracen levies to great effect as well as Greek conscripts so to me(obviously biased) there is heaps of unit options.

Ok so plans changed a little, here's an update.
    I redid startpos and have done all family trees, almost all playable + everything else (for unhealthy 12 hours)
    I'm not moving on to units directly, Instead my work will be focused on campaign until we have a playable beta version excluding units, I will seek help/cooperation from medieval kingdoms then.
    We have decided on all but one of the 12 possible playable factions
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    These cover every culture and region on the map already, so we have quite some freedom in choosing the final one, tell us wich it should be!

Scotland
    + Important for 1066, unique units/playstyle
    - cramped starting position (similar to kingdom of isles), rather small roster

Toulouse
    + unique starting position, a bit different from france with catalan and occitan light and mercenary units
    - another (3rd or fourth) french faction with same military type

Obodrites
    + Very relevant, important king waring with diverse enemies, unique position, german/slavic/pagan/german mix
    - ?

Denmark
    + only chance to see entire viking roster, important players in 1066 aftermath
    - similar to vanilla

Brittany
    + Relevant for 1066 conflict, a bit unique french/celt mix
    - in reality mostly another french faction, cramped starting position with one type of enemy for many provinces.

Other?
    Feel free to tell us why you would like another final faction and wich of course
    Last edited by Linke; March 27, 2016 at 06:49 PM.

Moon_Man's Avatar Libertus

You did a very nice job and I'm sorry for being a bit demanding, but I think I'm speaking for a lot of people here,

will we be seeing any Byzantine involvement in Italy?

also I vote for the Kingdom of The Danes
    Last edited by Moon_Man; March 27, 2016 at 08:34 PM.

Hey I have an idea regarding the normans. What do you think about having it so that the county of apulia and normandy are all part of the same faction since they are both norman? It would free up another playable faction and it would make it a more unique campaign experience. You get to do fight in the north and the south at the same time. Other than that I think Denmark would be the best choice for the other playable faction. It gives the player freedom of movement and there aren't any playable factions in that corner of the map at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Man View Post
    will we be seeing any Byzantine involvement in Italy?

also I vote for the Kingdom of The Danes
    Yes the final Imperial stronghold at Bari has yet to fall, and the emperor has sent his fine general Mikael Maurex to stop the norman tide, before Robert Guiscard may invade Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    What do you think about having it so that the county of apulia and normandy are all part of the same faction since they are both norman?
    No, it's a good idea too free a faction slot but: it's unhistorical, it will result in a crippled ai, I think they are actually more unique if not combined.
    Last edited by Linke; March 28, 2016 at 07:24 AM.

I hope you greatly reduce all movement points. this will simulate a larger campaign map, and make conquest take longer for AI
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    I hope you greatly reduce all movement points. this will simulate a larger campaign map, and make conquest take longer for AI
    With the exception of Naval Fleets. In fact, I hope naval fleets should much more long-ranged (Vikings can sail from Denmark to British Isles in a week).

The real reason amphibious assaults are so terrifying is that they can attack without warning at an undefended place, sack, then go away before reinforcements can come. Amphibious Assaults are, in another side, very vulnerable if they fail to establish a beachead or assaulting a fortified position.

Also, naval battles of the era wasn't done on high seas. Its very hard for two opposing fleet to meet on the high seas if fleets can hop from shores to shores quickly. This also minimizes AI Army Cruise Trips, since they'll arrive quickly and not dilly-dallying in the high seas.

For balance, make Armies can only embark through ports.

Seas should be something that connects, rather than only as a barrier.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I think I will elaborate the Obodrites a bit: They would be a pretty unique faction, just because they are one of the few archaic Slavic cultures left in 1066. They also have a very tough starting position with a strong Christian leader (Gottschalk), but with mostly pagan subjects preparing for rebellion (Historicaly Gottschalk was assassinated in June 1066). Unitwise, they would roughly resemble Poland, which sadly isn't on the map.

My vote would either go to them or Scotland.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; March 28, 2016 at 09:36 AM.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

It's a tough call, but I feel my vote has to go to the Scots. Since the mod focuses on the Norman Invasions, I think the Scots need to be in.

Obodrites could be interesting as well, but maybe a bit close to HRE in terms of units, I guess? That, and I feel that the Danes would need to be playable if the Obodrites were. I guess Croatia could be replaced with the Obodrites as the "Slavic faction" while adding the Danes, since I don't know if Croatia is really essential as a faction (both because they're located "on the border" of the AoC map, and because they weren't that powerful historically).

But if only one faction slot is open, Scotland would be my choice.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

From what I gathered Croatia was at it's "peak" in this time, that's why I added them (also to get a slavic faction). Maybe they are to irrelevant anyways, though I do find the whole southeastern situation quite interesting with hungary, croatia, carinthia, venice

Otherwise dropping an italian faction is a possibility, for them I did two to illustrate the big difference between northern communes and souther norman feudalism