Thread: Commentary Thread for GOTY Competition (2015)

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Commentary Thread for GOTY Competition (2015)

Use this thread for discussion or commentary. Please do not discuss in the other threads.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Default Re: Commentary Thread for GOTY Competition (2015)

Allow me to explain my fan-boy favoritism towards Witcher 3. I'd really love to say that Fallout4 lived up to my expectations but alas it's often hollow rpg elements left me with a feeling of disappointment, too often the game limited my ability to play how I wanted, too often I found myself pausing my recording to explain how a situation could have been handled better if only the game gave me the option. I'm a huge Bethesda fan but sometimes they pull things that make me shed a tear. Having finished Fallout4's main story (there is plenty of side-content left to do that I intend to finish eventually) I can honestly say I enjoyed the main story of New Vegas more.

The Witcher had me hooked from the start, a beautiful looking game (even on my outdated rig) with a long story, often challenging encounters, excellent dialog and endless content in a truly massive world. It feels like a proper RPG rather than a shooter with RPG elements thrown in. I wish Fallout had more build-up so that I'd care about my soon-to-be-dead wife (whom I instantly forget the name of) and kidnapped son. I wish the base building wasn't put in last minute as a gimmick. I wish the story mattered and wasn't so clearly on rails. I wish dialog choices didn't all lead to the same outcome regardless of what you say. I wish Fallout4 didn't come in a very easy 2nd behind Witcher.

So, my venting aside, I toss my vote(s) in the general direction of Geralt. I enjoyed Fallout4 and am still enjoying it but it doesn't hold a candle to my Game of the Year.

What category is most suitable for a fighting game?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korki Buchek View Post
    What category is most suitable for a fighting game?
    That can go under anything. Many games can qualify for multiple categories.

Fighting could go under shooter, RPG, action adventure, etc...It's really up to you, though if there is a disagreement among myself and the other competition managers over something we will certainly let you know.

Edit: Or do you mean something like Street Fighter...those types of games?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Meelis13's Avatar You fight like a cow!
    Citizen

I think he probably meant Mortal Kombat X or similar game
    If thats the case, most logical ones would be action-adventure or sports
    Heidinn veor- dark age mod for M2TW now recruiting scripter/coder

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Action-adventure imho. Sports is a bit too much unless we are talking hockey.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Honestly when it comes to DLC I'm torn between Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone, Dragon Age Inquisition: the Trespasser and M&B Warband: Viking Conquest.
    I would put Total War Attila: Age of Charlemagne behind these simply because I dislike the Rome 2/Attila campaign map and map mechanics and that would still be acceptable but they didn't even put any of the new factions or units in the custom battle!

Anyway yeah without a doubt Witcher 3 is the best game of 2015, talk about raising the bar.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I really, really want to nominate Fallout 4 as best RPG, but, frankly, it isn't even a very good RPG. As an RPG it's mediocre at best. As a shooter it's excellent, the mechanics are very polished and fit well and Beth did do an excellent job with the world and atmosphere of the game, but there's just not much that actually feels like a Bethesda RPG. The quests are boring, limited and repetitive, the companions are 2-dimensional at best (aside from Nick and maybe MacCready), and while there are some really great side quests like a couple of the minuteman quests and the Constitution quest, the game really feels like it's designed to force you to play the main story. And the main story, aside from being too big a part of the game to be a Beth RPG, just isn't all that great.