Thread: All MOD's team's members Look at this Mod.Medieval 2 population pool system added to Rome 2 and soon for Attila.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Default All MOD's team's members Look at this Mod.Medieval 2 population pool system added to Rome 2 and soon for Attila.

From what i understands the Medieval 2 recruitment pool system is coming soon to Attila and for Rome 2 is already out..Cheers guy !!!

I hope the mod's team use this also

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=632833708

Default Re: All MOD's team's members Look at this Mod.Medieval 2 population pool system added to Rome 2 and soon for Attila.

Haha, good timing. I saw that same mod last night on the Ancient Empires sub-forum and it's been a WIP for a little while. I'll bother Warman about it.

Default Re: All MOD's team's members Look at this Mod.Medieval 2 population pool system added to Rome 2 and soon for Attila.

Some sources about European population in first part of 13th century:

Germany: 7.6 million
    France: 13 million
    England (Including Wales) : 2.6 million
    Scotland: 0.5 million
    Ireland: 0.6 million
    Italy: 9 million
    Northern Slavs (Kiev, Novgorod, Poland): 11 million
    Georgia: 7.8 million
    Armenia (Armenian highlands): 2.2 million
    Cilician Armenia: 1.3 million
    Spain + Portugal: 6.7 million
    Austria: 3 million
    Hungry: 4 million
    Balkans: 8 million (Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Serbia)
    Denmark: 0.6 million
    Norway: 0.2 million
    Byzantine states: 18 million
    K of Jerusalem: 1.6 million

others:
    Ayyubid: 21 million
    Anatolia: 8 million
    Syria: 2.3 million
    Arabs: 5 million
    Moorish k: 10 million
    Mongols: 8 million
    Khwarezm: 4 million

Hey guys! I've known about this mod for awhile now(I am friends with Magnar and Litharion after all). I can't quite say when something like this could be properly implemented but I do intend to incorporate the population mod into MK. The main thing is I'm largely waiting for an official Attila version, though I'll see what I can do on my end too. If you guys want to help, feel free to suggest and debate about class types for such an endeavor and how to divide the units between them. Also C. Iberia what you posted doesn't really help anything, sorry.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Here is the review from Darren for the mod.

thats a nice mod

Moon_Man's Avatar Libertus

I say the classes should be divided into

Nobles
    -General units and crème de la crème units

Knights
    -retinues and armored mid/high tier units

Peasants
    -mid/low tier units
    -mercs
    -peasants and militia

And foreigners

use the method in the Rome II mod, foreign mercs and auxiliaries take from the foreign population of a province, when you conquer a Provence the population of foreigners will be extremely high. Thankfully it should be easier to calculate the number of immigrants thanks to the immigration tab on the Attila campaign map.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Man View Post
    I say the classes should be divided into

Nobles
    -General units and crème de la crème units

Knights
    -retinues and armored mid/high tier units

Peasants
    -mid/low tier units
    -mercs
    -peasants and militia

And foreigners

use the method in the Rome II mod, foreign mercs and auxiliaries take from the foreign population of a province, when you conquer a Provence the population of foreigners will be extremely high. Thankfully it should be easier to calculate the number of immigrants thanks to the immigration tab on the Attila campaign map.
    The foreigners part is a bit tricky since Medieval Christendom was not exactly split into nations like we think them today, and the nobles of one nations could easily serve in the other realm as well in similar posts as their original ones. Peasants were also drafted and used more like depending on their master and lord, not by their realm or state if you have. Merchant class or bourgerousie are definetely a medieval class of people, but their significance to the army recruiting pool is something what is unknown to me. But definetely there has to be separation between religions at least, muslims, jews, christians and pagans can't be represented in the same factors.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    If you guys want to help, feel free to suggest and debate about class types for such an endeavor and how to divide the units between them.
    Some of the categories, for historical reasons, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• How everyone become 'foreigners' is an odd one. When looking over the Normandy Garrison muster rolls (recruited from Normandy 1415 - 1453, by England), it's still classified into Archers and Men-at-Arms. The same type of ranks from the English Muster Rolls.
    • For the most part, nobles of the land usually swore fealty to new rulers. The idea of making everyone foreigners doesn't seem very medieval.
    • The idea of a burgher (middle class) in christian Ibera, Gaelic speaking area, Scandinavia and eastern Europe is strange at best.

Here's what I think. Looking over the English muster rolls for the second and third phase of the 100 years war, it's for the most part categorized into 1/3 Men-at-arms. 2/3 Archers. There are sub-classes such as knights, gentry, armored archers, Mounted archers, etc. for some of the high status men of both ranks, but Man-at-Arms and Archers are the main groups of how ranks were divided in the muster rolls. Basically for all factions, the heavy and the lightly armored (relative to each factions roster).

1. Man-at-arms. - The first group consist of the Barons, the knights, the squires and the gentry, those who could afford substantial gear.
    2. Commoner. - Then the lightly armoured who represent the yeomen (freemen), the merchant and the serfs who were relegated to munition armour.
    3. Mercenary. - This group made up professional troops and their contribution was known in all the corners of the map.
    4. Chargers. - Some say Courser, the Destrier, other times known simply as the Spanish Horse and Frisian Horse. For example any mounted knight designed for the charge require 1 Man-at-Arms and 1 Charger.

I do see the upside about having middle-/foreigner class for gameplay reasons like the PoR2++. It adds a transition period of passifying the rebellious population. I'm not sure to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    Merchant class or bourgerousie are definetely a medieval class of people, but their significance to the army recruiting pool is something what is unknown to me.
    I'm no expert on this field, so if other people want to correct me, go ahead. I'll mention that according to Norman J.G. Pounds, the average percentage population inside medieval towns compared to the hinterland ranged from about 5% in Northern-/Eastern Europe and 10-15% in central Europe, roughly speaking. Exceptions to towns like Flandern and northern Italy with around 25% of it's faction population as town dwellers. According to Pounds, "The area from the Baltic Sea to Greece were almost devoid of towns"(p.80) That book might be useful for later on when implementing the mod.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; March 01, 2016 at 06:41 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

I think a distinction between Peasantry and Townsfolk needs to be there - towns sprung up all across Europe and the Near East to a bigger or lesser extent, and that can easily be represented by large or low percentages of the population. Apart from being useful in more detailed distinction, limitation and allowance of recruitment of certain units (three step Unit Tier system comes to mind), it allows the player to nicely keep track of the urbanisation of his growing empire. This, and I'd stick to names that aren't terribly anglo-centric, and Man-at-arms is one such term. I'd just call it Knights or Nobility or whatever, it's also simpler to understand.

Interesting observation on the Chargers as a distinct population group. I suppose such an equine group could be featured in all cultures with names changed appropriately (heavy horse for nomadic factions is a bit of a contradiction).

I was also thinking about a possible group called Clergy, although I doubt it would serve a purpose other than flair and fluff. Still, a high percentage of Clergy could impact income and public order, for example.
    Last edited by jan_boruta; March 01, 2016 at 06:43 AM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I chose England for simplicity. It was intentionally anglicized, because the mod allow for local names depending on factions. "Heavy", "light" and "War Horse" would be better for the sake of discussion.

1. Heavy.
    2. Light.
    3. Mercenary.
    4. War Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    I was also thinking about a possible group called Clergy, although I doubt it would serve a purpose other than flair and fluff. Still, a high percentage of Clergy could impact income and public order, for example.
    That's interesting that you look at the population in a non-military perspective. Perhaps a high clerical percentage would put certain effects on your populations to simulate papal interference in your cities, who knows.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Would also make sense if clergy population increased research speed. I know Total War games are just supposed to be about mindless warfare and all that but adding some mechanics to make it feel more like a 4x game is always nice

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    Haha, good timing. I saw that same mod last night on the Ancient Empires sub-forum and it's been a WIP for a little while. I'll bother Warman about it.
    The Attila mod on the AE subforum, made by me, is separate from the Rome 2 mod. However, I'm on the Rome 2 P++ team also (as a demi-member - I gave them code from my version in development).

I've not shown many updates recently, but I'm mostly working on research into features like UI editing which will most likely not be in any ported version of P++.
    Last edited by Causeless; March 02, 2016 at 07:36 PM.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Keep it simple:

Nobility (Upper Class)
    Burghers (Middle Class)
    Peasants (Lower Class)

Doesn't need to be more complex than that