Thread: InterFace Sounds

Default InterFace Sounds

Imagine,

You are up on the walls in battle, arrows wizzing passed you, the swords crashing into armour. In the distance you hear a watchtower crumble and the gallop of horsemen, you now know reinforcements are coming. The general is about to give orders, then suddenly out of nowhere,

KLAAA-AANG

what an awful sound to hear.

What I am getting at is when you have your sound in a theatre 5.1 style. You want to turn it up. It sounds great when there is little music, the ambience is simlpy wild. You can hear the troops marching, dogs barkin, whatever. In battle you can hear the cavalry blow the horn for their charge, screams. Very immersive, great job to the Audio Foley Dept. Except when you give orders for unit to move or you click on formation or whatever this will cause some kinda interface sound, and that is not good. You are able to reduce music, sound effects and master volume.

There is no way to reduce interface volume, is there?

Now I have to mute while I give orders, but when I forget too mute it can sure make me jump cause of that stupid klang sound after an order is given to your troops.

The solution will probably deal with unpaking the sound files and removing these sounds then repack. Unfortuntely, I have little experiance modding MTW.

Anyone else interested in this project?

Default Re: InterFace Sounds

Afraid it's undoable for the time being, lowering the volume on those sounds is a snap, but repacking is impossible so far - different idx and dat formats, and won't run the sounds unpacked, which was possible in RTW. Creates a 1 byte idx and dat if it doesnt find the correct files, overwriting your incorrect ones if need be.

So would need an updated xidx tool, if Vercingetorix feels like it - doesn't look as straightforward as before, judging form the contents I see - lots of extra stuff where there was none before...

Well, I managed to eleminate some of the interface sounds.

By editing the descr file (descr_sounds_interface.txt
    ), just set each "event volume" to -90 db. And then deleting the
    events.dat and events.idx files

Success is however limited to Vanilla version and then only on the battlefield and only for the sounds asscociated with commands to attack. Which was, IMHO the worst sound to hear when the 5.1 is cranked.

Even though I tried to edit other descr files to reduce the remaining sounds I cant seem to get it to work. Would like to reduce some interface sounds on the strat map too.

Anyone out there have any luck editing sounds. I have tried to delete the SFX files in the hope that the files would rebuild but that doesnt work.

Finally, after rereading the "how to" on sound mod, got the interface sounds reduced. So much better now.

So share it, maybe???

Ebullient Princesses! Titles! Bloodlines! Bastard Traitors!
    So much fun in one little BBB package! Get yours today!

I am still trying to track down sounds associated with armies dis/embarking ships and merging on the campaign map, any one else find theses?

This is my first time modding. So what do I share the desc files or the repacked sound files or what?

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

I think you would do best to share the desc files. The actual sound files can stay in the packs, it's the descs that edit them. Do you know, by any chance, if you need all of the sound text files in the data folder for the events.idx to pack properly or if it's enough with just the ones you've edited, btw?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Ok I have posted the descr files needed to rebuild the sound files.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1126

Enjoy the total surround sound experiance

favorite sound event right now is hovering the camera in the enemy ranks just as my troops lances come bearing down. The increasing driving beat sound of the horses gallop and then the crash of metal and flesh at impact. the sounds are wild, just simply wild. Turn it up